• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana US + EU Demo

sandpiper

Lol so they fixed the boss name from the demo where they called it a vase, or was that a different fight?

They fixed it.

DCj21yBXcAAeQ9S.jpg

After:

This still isn't an amazing translation, but it's sure as shit better than SHIVERING VASE which is Google Translate tier and I assume they just randomly google translated certain things for the original demo they showed off, and then fixed it later with this demo.

The Jaws of Merciless Terror would probably be the best TL but whatever.

preta

Lol so they fixed the boss name from the demo where they called it a vase, or was that a different fight?

They did, but it's still not faithful to the original JP, which is strange considering most other boss titles seem to be very direct translations of the JP ones. The new English title is Merciless Herald of Sorrow, whereas the JP is more like Merciless Jaws of Terror. I guess they decided to change directions on translating boss titles after falling flat on their face with the initial attempt at this one.

sandpiper

They did, but it's still not faithful to the original JP, which is strange considering most other boss titles seem to be very direct translations of the JP ones. The new English title is Merciless Herald of Sorrow, whereas the JP is more like Merciless Jaws of Terror. I guess they decided to change directions on translating boss titles after falling flat on their face with the initial attempt at this one.

Like I said, I don't think they actually tried to TL that boss name. I almost guarantee a lot of the stuff in that early demo was machine translated and thrown in there because they were strapped for time.

Blue-kun

I take it this is just an English build of the JP demo?

The JP PS4 demo, yes. Originally the Vita demo was actually kinda huge, you could play aaaall the way up to the end of this dungeon, prologue and what not included. They let you use the save file for the full game if you decided to purchase it after finishing the trial, too.

Am I supposed to be able to climb on those vines in the upper part of the coral area? Not seeing any sort of button prompt but it shows up on the mini-map.

preta

Like I said, I don't think they actually tried to TL that boss name. I almost guarantee a lot of the stuff in that early demo was machine translated and thrown in there because they were strapped for time.

It had to be. From what I've seen, this demo is exactly the same as that one, except with the boss title and character status pages fixed - that is, the dialogue is the same, although it was never the real issue.

Thoraxes

The JP PS4 demo, yes. Originally the Vita demo was actually kinda huge, you could play aaaall the way up to the end of this dungeon, prologue and what not included. They let you use the save file for the full game if you decided to purchase it after finishing the trial, too.
Sweet, thanks! I've actually played both those demos so I was just wondering if there would've been anything I haven't already seen. Will still probably download it and give it a shot to check out the localization at any rate.

tonypark

Going to try the demo tonight, never played any Ys games.
Is the Ys serie stand alone like let's say... Final fantasy?
Also anything special I should know?

Wagram

There's continuation in a mild manner. It builds to the overall series experience, but they're very much separate stories. It's basically a different chapter of Adol's adventures.

sandpiper

Am I supposed to be able to climb on those vines in the upper part of the coral area? Not seeing any sort of button prompt but it shows up on the mini-map.

It's similar to Metroid in that the series has always had traversal mechanics in that vein - you get the special item, you can proceed to the next area or backtrack to a previous inaccessible area.

Blue-kun

Think Zelda, but instead of Link being a new Link everytime, Adol is the same Adol that you've seen in previous games. The stories you go through are actually retellings of the stuff that the character, Adol, left behind in journals that he wrote while adventuring throughout the world.

So, yeah, sometimes you'll see a reference to a place or continent that you may or may not have visited when playing other games, or a familiar face might show up, but these are all pretty minor references for fans and do not impact the actual stotytelling in any way. The stories are all self-contained and you can enjoy them just fine, with the exception of Ys Origin, which is a prequel to Ys I & II and best played after those. But with VIII there's no worries on that front, so dig deep into it and enjoy this fantastic game :)

wvnative

can't find it on my PS4 store in the US and I've only access to the PS4 browser right now and the web store doesn't work

So, yeah, sometimes you'll see a reference to a place or continent that you may or may not have visited when playing other games, or a familiar face might show up, but these are all pretty minor references for fans and do not impact the actual stotytelling in any way. The stories are all self-contained and you can enjoy them just fine, with the exception of Ys Origin, which is a prequel to Ys I & II and best played after those. But with VIII there's no worries on that front, so dig deep into it and enjoy this fantastic game :)

Heh, I went for Ys I & II after beating Origins. Was quite the change :p. Loved making the connections though.
I have been watching some artwork for VIII, is
Griselda from Celteta in this game, or is that her sister or something like that?

Blue-kun

Heh, I went for Ys I & II after beating Origins. Was quite the change :p. Loved making the connections though.
I have been watching some artwork for VIII, is
Griselda from Celteta in this game, or is that her sister or something like that?

To answer your question (minor spoilers for Ys VIII, do not read if you want your experience completely spoiler-free!):
Yeah, that's her alright. She's one of the castaways you'll rescue throughout your adventure in Seiren Island.

And yeah, I guess you could do Origin -> I & II as well. It'd be a fun puzzle to work things out the other way around, too. But I guess it'd be worth revisiting Origin afterwards just to see the scenes again with the knowledge you get from the first two games :V

You'll be okay, but Vita version isn't 60FPS, it's 30. It's not always 30, either, as the game has drops. The loadings are a bit worse on the Vita, too. And above all, you'll be missing some content which is exclusive to the PS4 version. Namely a more fleshed out Dana story and a couple dungeons which are unique to the PS4 ver.

THAT SAID, the game on the Vita was actually kind of impressive graphically for what it tried to do. It definitely runs better than Celceta, while being a much, much prettier and ambitious. The new story added on PS4 is alright, but at the end of the day it doesn't really make the game into a completely new experience, so if you think you can live with a bit less backstory, a couple dungeons/boss, the Vita version is still pretty nice (and cheaper).
So on Vita it runs better than Celceta AND looks better? Do you know if it's native res on vita?

If this is the case I'll get on vita. I have too much on PS4 right now.

tonypark

Think Zelda, but instead of Link being a new Link everytime, Adol is the same Adol that you've seen in previous games. The stories you go through are actually retellings of the stuff that the character, Adol, left behind in journals that he wrote while adventuring throughout the world.

Thanks, i will give it a shot.

Blue-kun

So on Vita it runs better than Celceta AND looks better? Do you know if it's native res on vita?

If this is the case I'll get on vita. I have too much on PS4 right now.

I don't think it's native res on Vita, but, well, it's still a much nicer game to look at and doesn't look like there's vaseline applied all over the screen. There's framedrops and what not still, but Celceta really took the cake in that department, especially for a game that looked so poor. VIII is a lot better in that regard and is miles above graphically.

Here's a video from some random dude playing it on the Vita. It's footage from one of the very first boss battles, so not spoiling anything too bad for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euOED2tl_9c

I had a blast with the game on Vita last year and I think it's a very special experience on that platform, so I definitely think it's worth playing if you love your Vita and portable gaming as a whole. It's missing on some content, but, well, assuming you'll like the game about as much as I did, you can always replay it later on PS4 and get the shiny 60 FPS experience + new content on a 2nd playthrough. Not too bad, haha.

Here's some screenshots I took back then, showcasing the huuuge amount of stuff you could see from the top of a random mountain, lol. As usual, be aware that the game actually looks better than this on the Vita's screen -- the screenshot function never seems to take some very pretty screenies for some reason.

As much fun as the combat for this series is I wish regular enemies on normal difficulties were a bit more challenging than ripping up a sheet of cardboard.

Is there Pro support on this game? It looks really clean on my TV.

I was already sold on the game, as I love whatever I have played of the franchise. This demo makes me feel more confident on buying it.

Blue-kun

As much fun as the combat for this series is I wish regular enemies on normal difficulties were a bit more challenging than ripping up a sheet of cardboard.

They still go down rather fast on Nightmare and Inferno, but you sure as hell don't take them lightly in Ys VIII. Especially at the start, everything basically 2KOs you (at best). If you play it without using healing items it becomes quite a lot more challenging. If you think the game's easy, adding these self-imposed challenges is a good way of spicing it up. I can only play Ys nowadays like this, no food, no healing items and Nightmare/Inferno, lol.

george_us

Quite a lot of longtime Ys fans were blown away by Ys 8 from what I can tell.

An extremely ambitious title that, frankly, has an even better (and self contained story) than even current Kiseki (aka Cold Steel 1 and 2). I know Gu4n was astonished that they got the original Ys 8 to even run on a Vita at certain points in the game.

Jumping is back, bosses are fun, game on higher difficulties is still hard as fuck. Perfect dodging and guarding isn't as broken as Ys Seven but it's still fun to use, et cetera.

I'm glad it was delayed because this game really shines thanks to the delay. It would have really hurt it if it stayed undercooked.
Sounds good. I peaked into the import impressions thread and the only thing that has me worried is that it seemed like the game has some padding to it. The only other Ys game I've played is Ark of Napishtim and I finished that after 20-ish hours, but Ys VIII is apparently 40 hours?

JPS Kai

Sounds good. I peaked into the import impressions thread and the only thing that has me worried is that it seemed like the game has some padding to it. The only other Ys game I've played is Ark of Napishtim and I finished that after 20-ish hours, but Ys VIII is apparently 40 hours?

50 hours sounds like the sweet spot if you want the platinum.

Blue-kun

It's got a lot more story than Napishtim, and there's a much, much bigger world to explore, too. So those end up taking a lot of your time, which explains the 50 hours for a plat. I actually took even longer, but then it was in japanese and I had to battle my way through it, which didn't help.

That said, unless you're like completely off-put by 'fantasy RPG stories', I don't think you'll dislike what Falcom did here. The story's simple, but the cast of characters is by far the best out of all 3 party system Ys games, and the twists on the 2nd half of the game are actually pretty neat and further develop the whole Ys lore in ways that I think most people did not expect. I can safely say I enjoyed my time with the game's plot/characters, so uh, yeah, take that as you will, I guess? haha.

george_us

50 hours sounds like the sweet spot if you want the platinum.

It's got a lot more story than Napishtim, and there's a much, much bigger world to explore, too. So those end up taking a lot of your time, which explains the 50 hours for a plat. I actually took even longer, but then it was in japanese and I had to battle my way through it, which didn't help.

That said, unless you're like completely off-put by 'fantasy RPG stories', I don't think you'll dislike what Falcom did here. The story's simple, but the cast of characters is by far the best out of all 3 party system Ys games, and the twists on the 2nd half of the game are actually pretty neat and further develop the whole Ys lore in ways that I think most people did not expect. I can safely say I enjoyed my time with the game's plot/characters, so uh, yeah, take that as you will, I guess? haha.
Cool thanks for the info. And I dig fantasy RPGs stories as long as they're told well and the characters are charming. I'd be mostly in this for the gameplay anyways but padded games annoy me to no end. Would rather have a game that's too short than a game that's too long.

jb1234

The dialogue is pretty clunky and I can't decide if that's because of the original Japanese or the localization. Just seems stilted. Gameplay of course is fine if you like the party-based Ys games.

BigEmil

Are you playing on a 4k tv? I don't think there is any downsampling on a 1080p screen.
It could be that since the game isn't too demanding and well optimised they used higher amounts of stronger AA possibly, looks pretty clean even on my 1080p TV with base PS4

Psxphile

Really can't get used to these controls. I had the same issues with Ys Seven and Celceta. I"m constantly accidentally swapping characters when I need to dodge/block. I'll probably need to change the controls around when the real game comes in.

Loved this demo. After the Destiny 2 PC beta ran super silky smooth on my laptop last night, I decided to cancel my PS4 pre-order and threw it on Ys VIII instead... And just gonna get Destiny 2 on PC in October.

Really can't get used to these controls. I had the same issues with Ys Seven and Celceta. I"m constantly accidentally swapping characters when I need to dodge/block. I'll probably need to change the controls around when the real game comes in.

You can do it in the demo too, I ended up moving attack to square, jump to X, lock on to L2, dodging to R2, items to triangle, switch to circle, and adventure gear to L1. Felt a lot nicer to play for me that way.

CSX

my power went out a bit after the first boss battle. Is there a 2nd boss in the demo? If not, i wont bother to play the demo again. I liked what i played of it.

preta

The dialogue is pretty clunky and I can't decide if that's because of the original Japanese or the localization. Just seems stilted. Gameplay of course is fine if you like the party-based Ys games.

The main issue I had with the dialogue in the JP version was occasional over-repetition of some points, but the localization is definitely on the stiff side.

Is this demo up on the NA PS Store yet? I can't seem to find either Ys8 or Knack 2 demos! I can see Danganrompa V3 tho. What gives, GAF?

Blue-kun

my power went out a bit after the first boss battle. Is there a 2nd boss in the demo? If not, i wont bother to play the demo again. I liked what i played of it.

There is, yeah, so if you'd like to see that it's worth going through the dungeon again :p

I couldn't find it on the PS Store either and just used the link in the OP.
Yeah that's weird. I had to use the mobile store to download both Ys8 and Knack 2 demos. Not the first time it has happened.

Fix this, Sony.

EDIT: why the hell do I have a 15GB update for Overwatch qued up? Holy shit that's too much!

Usobuko

Banned
From what I had seen, the combat commands should be easy since I have a natural transition from Seven to Celceta to this.

60fps, greater production value, more ambitious and a greater difficulty from Celceta cakewalk are welcome changes though.

Top Bottom