• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: NISA apologies for localisation, will be patched in November

Oreiller

Read the PR again. They say that they WILL have a new translator and editor go over the script. I’ve no idea why they set the goal at the end of November when it’ll lead to the same problem again - ridiculous deadlines.

Oh yeah, you're right. My bad, I guess I read too quickly. I don't envy their translation team right now, some of the work is already done but it's still a huge amount of work.

Squire

Banned
You're right, but at least they're acknowledging complaints, unlike what happened with Persona 5. Although I wonder if the fact that they did so is simply because they have to compete with other companies for Falcom games, so they can't afford to give no shit like Atlus if they don't want to lose future contracts to higher quality companies like XSeed.

The point is that they were operating on bad faith and greed when they negotiated the deal. It doesn't matter if the current optics are "at least they're not Atlus"; they're probably banking on you thinking that.

DZdOCMd.jpg

What's wrong with this?
Did they just create a name for her?

PK Gaming

NISA undercutting XSeed led to a lower quality localization than what the series had been getting while Falcom stuck with the latter? What a shock...

Yes, good on them for admitting that they screwed up, but needing to redo everything after the game already released shouldn't have happened in the first place. I admit to not having any particular investment in Ys, but this potentially foreshadowing something like either them or Aksys taking over for Trails in place of XSeed is unnerving (both because of the level of effort that XSeed have put into quality localizations for the series up until now, as well as consistency as a result of having been the ones to localize more than half of the Kiseki games already).

This.

I appreciate the effort, but it shouldn't have happened, and it's so obvious they promised a PC port they couldn't even deliver on just to upstage Xseed. I also don't think a month~ is enough time to fully pour over the text and fix every issue, but we'll see.

EDIT:

This too

Not sure why NISA is getting kudos for releasing a subpar product, saying nothing about plainly obvious problems with its' script prior to its' release and then announcing a bandaid when it became clear that people weren't willing to settle as they did with something like Persona 5. A month and a half is not enough time to go through this game's script, re-translate it, edit it, and proofread it without compromising heavily on at least a couple of those things. In reality, more like just a month since this translation patch presumably has to be certified to ensure it doesn't introduce more problems.

The worst part is that they talk about the game's translation like it's some great mystery how it was so undercooked and how they'd be 'investigating' the causes as though they weren't obvious to anyone with a realistic impression of how long high quality localization work really takes. The expected turnaround time for the script was insanely low, it's no surprise that the translators and editors couldn't turn in something acceptable when they were working under such insane deadlines on such a massive project. It's pretty obvious to me that the core of Ys VIII's problems stemmed from the very premise of how soon they promised it'd be accomplished. I imagine it had to have been a key factor in securing their bid for the title and considering everything that came after I can't imagine they gave a single thought about how they'd actually accomplish this until it showed up on their desks.

So they're okay with throwing the people who worked under it under the bus and do absolutely zero self-reflection on their actual localization practices. They broke basically every promise and low balled nearly every standard of acceptable localization because they couldn't see beyond the dollar signs in their eyes. I don't think they deserve a round of applause for that. Or the slightest bit of understanding. This has been an embarrassing story from start to finish.

duckroll

What an embarrassment. But good on them to own up to it. I can certainly respect that. Actions speak louder than words though, so hopefully the fix is up to standards and the PC release isn't balls too.

Didn't someone call them out on it on one of the demos? Didn't they say that they'd make sure the localization was good for the final release?

Hopefully Ys ends up in better hands in the future.

Baliis

DZdOCMd.jpg

What's wrong with this?

I assume the intention of the line is she's saying just call her "Alison" instead of "Alison-san" or whatever honorific, but it doesn't make any sense in english where you don't use them anyways.

DZdOCMd.jpg

What's wrong with this?
MY assumption is it’s a completely literal translation of the Japanese. In Japan, you usually add an honorific after someone’s name unless you’re very close, and not doing so is generally considered rude, so her telling them to just refer to her as Alison would imply she’s saying no need for honorifics which conveys information about what type of person she is and how she’s reacting to the situation. This obviously doesn’t translate well to English because we don’t use honorifics like that

lionpants

Please change Ancient Species. I just can't take the characters saying it anymore.

Guess I'm waiting until the translation is out to resume! Got some Nioh DLC to catch up on.

The news of the localization was getting to the point where even Japanese websites were reporting on it... I'm sure that definitely kicked NISA into gear.

I'm honestly just surprised they are going doing something about it, though. Kinda glad I had Samus Returns and Stardew Valley pull me away from this since I'll most likely just wait and start over. I didn't mind the localization at first but it was starting to bog down the experience.

preta

MY assumption is it’s a completely literal translation of the Japanese. In Japan, you usually add an honorific after someone’s name unless you’re very close, and not doing so is generally considered rude, so her telling them to just refer to her as Alison would imply she’s saying no need for honorifics which conveys information about what type of person she is and how she’s reacting to the situation. This obviously doesn’t translate well to English because we don’t use honorifics like that

There actually isn't an honorific in the JP line - she trails off the exact same way after her name. You could definitely safely assume that that was the intended implication though, and there's no question that it doesn't work in English at all.

The Wart

By the end of November...? So, like, two months to re-edit the entire translation and redo voice-overs? Is that really feasible? Between the shoddy translation and the MIA PC port, it is pretty clear that they fundamentally bungled their approach with this game and I don't think a couple months is going to be enough to fix it. Kudos for owning up, but it looks like they realized they overpromised and underdelivered, and are trying to make up for it by... overpromising even more.

preta

By the end of November...? So, like, two months to re-edit the entire translation and redo voice-overs? Is that really feasible? Between the shoddy translation and the MIA PC port, it is pretty clear that they fundamentally bungled their approach with this game and I don't think a couple months is going to be enough to fix it. Kudos for owning up, but it looks like they realized they overpromised and underdelivered, and are trying to make up for it by... overpromising even more.

Yeeeeeeep. And it's not even people who had already worked on the localization, but a new translator and editor who'd have to familiarize themselves with it.

I have little faith that this is actually going to accomplish much. They still don't seem to understand the importance of reasonable deadlines even after that was one major reason why it turned out so poorly to begin with.

Nachos

Really? I just beat DR V3 a couple of nights ago, and I honestly didn't see many issues at all..? Maybe I'm just not as observant about stuff like that.
Mistranslations all over the place, bad typesetting, and probably the worst dub in the series because they reused the pool of actors from the other games instead of picking actors specifically for the parts. It's not awful or anything, but it's definitely lackluster.

There actually isn't an honorific in the JP line - she trails off the exact same way after her name. You could definitely safely assume that that was the intended implication though, and there's no question that it doesn't work in English at all.
That’s my point though. I assumed she was intentionally telling them to call her just Alison (and by implication not Alison San). I already assumed the translation was accurate to a fault because it focused on the literal words rather than the underlying meaning and intention behind them

Hopefully they'll think about quality prior to release next time. That saves them from a lot of problems, like the initial backlash and the apology right now.

Was this translation better or worse than Persona 5? Does it share any of the same problems?

I'm understanding that Ys VIII may have had more grammatical problems?

eXistor

"Grave error" he says. I'm pretty sure they just hoped they would get away with it. Honestly I didn't mind it, it was a very literal and dry translation, but I had some chuckles out of it. I really don't care about the story in an Ys game so I guess I'm not as offended as some are.

koutoru

Well I'll be busy playing other games in November, so I guess this'll have to wait until sometime next year, oh well!

To think I was originally planning to play this on PC in September.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I mean, this is good, but it makes you wonder why all of those mistakes even happened in the first place.

The game's still an amazing experience, though.

Where's that dude from the OT who was claiming there was no difference between this and Cold Steel's translation and got offended when called out for it? :p

Dream come true. I own a PS4 copy and haven't played it yet for various reasons, but I was not looking forward to the localization based on what I've seen. Good on NISA for bothering to go back and fix it, hopefully they do a good job.

It's stupid, that's what is wrong with it. Nobody talks like that. Would you go up to someone and say "My name is Michael, just call me Michael."? Awkward.

I guess I would, If I'm feeling awkward I guess.

hahahaha *scratches behind the head* ^_^;

*flings nose*

Ha you did alright kiddo!

*thumbs up* (gust of wind out of nowhere)

Was this translation better or worse than Persona 5? Does it share any of the same problems?

The issue with Ys VIII is mainly that it's a completely literal translation to a fault where it ends up having a bunch of parts that are really clunky or awkward sounding in English. Sometimes at the cost of losing the actual point and subtext behind the lines as well

Aeana

Hopefully Xseed will use these articles in future meetings with falcom.
Even though XSEED does great work, there's no way they can handle releasing every Falcom game. We need at least one other party doing good work with Falcom. XSEED being the only viable partner would result in fewer games coming out in English, more slowly.

Ascheroth

I mean, this is good, but it makes you wonder why all of those mistakes even happened in the first place.

The game's still an amazing experience, though.

Where's that dude from the OT who was claiming there was no difference between this and Cold Steel's translation and got offended when called out for it? :p
It's a pretty easy guess: they wanted to outbid Xseed at all costs and completely overpromised which led to entirely impossible deadlines. Then they huddled to get something out of the door in time, the result being the shoddy localization.
And they completely failed with the PC port as well.
I kinda feel bad for the actual people that worked on the game.

preta

It has consistently stiff and awkward wording, sometimes poor grammar, occasionally mistranslated item names, localized area names that are worse than the existing English ones in the JP version, poor direction for the dub, and homogenization of character voice. They also screwed up a couple of neat little references - one to Ys II, one to Trails in the Sky.

Overall, far worse than P5's and I've heard that even DRV3's is significantly better.

duckroll

Even though XSEED does great work, there's no way they can handle releasing every Falcom game. We need at least one other party doing good work with Falcom. XSEED being the only viable partner would result in fewer games coming out in English, more slowly.

Well judging by the YsVIII and Tokyo Xanadu releases, there are indeed fewer Falcom games coming out in English. There are more games being released outside of Japan though, that much is true. 🤷*♂️

Joqu

No wonder they managed to get this game over XSEED, it's easy to undercut if you're going to cut corners on the localization.

I really don't care much for their apologies, or rushed fixes, but I do hope that ensuring it never happens again thing works out for the sake of all us.

Regarding the Persona 5 comparisons, uh, P5 is stiff at times but I don't think NISA would have had to apologize if they had delivered a script of a similar quality. The two don't feel all that comparable to me.

Bladenic

RIP BIG HOLE

Hopefully RIP to notions and just about everything about end game plot stuff (unless it was just that awful in the OG JP version).

Hopefully one of these other localization companies will increase the quality of their work then.

This is hilarious.. I'll be done with the game in a week, but this would raise the score for me personally. Enjoying it despite the bad translation.

Top Bottom