• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki interview: Shenmue III models temporary, facial animation removed 1mo ago

zeopower6

I hope that everything goes well at the end, because he is planning the story for a Shenmue 4, and I don't want another Shenmue 2 sequel situation...
He should just make this a trilogy, and do a new story for 4.

Well, what his goal seems to be is "don't rush to complete in III, go for making IV as well", and I don't think he'll change his mind.

Ah doubling down on your own ignorance, delicious.

You know what they spent that that extra "10 minutes" on that they could have fixed a logo transition that no one will give a shit about on a trailer no one will remember when the game comes out? Developing the fucking game.

That precious time was actually spent on developing something in the game that someone like yourself would have likely complained about as well had they not taken the "10 minutes" to develop it instead. Now tell me, which would you rather have; a polished trailer logo transition? Or a polished text menu transition in the game's UI?

Here's a tip, never enter game development. Or any development of any kind of media. Because it looks like shit almost the entirety of production. You might die for feeling too stupid.

I mean, going by that, Yu Suzuki shouldn't come to Gamescom either ? Or answer interviews ?

Didn't they had a partnership with Deep Silver ? Couldn't they do it, cause you know, they do marketing ?

But yeah, are you really going to argue "10 minutes" would change the entire developpement ?
I mean, they're showing the game. The showing look amateurish. So I shouldn't criticize the amateurish look ? Guess what. The game is still on campaign for funds. I believe these 10 minutes spent for a better showing would've brought more backers than the terrible showing we had here.

Edit: nevermind, the stupid part wasn't adressed to me.

High quality assets are really hard to make, especially for a small studio like this.

Personally, I kinda wish they had gone the Sonic Mania route with this. As in: make it look exactly like the old Dreamcast games, maybe even use the exact same character models. Make it look like the lost Shenmue III for Dreamcast we never got. Maybe that would allow them to get the assets done a lot cheaper, so they could focus more on game logic, world design, etc.

The partnership was finalized at Gamescom and wasn't active till like... last week.

And a week wasn't enough to edit the bad part of the trailer ?
I mean, even a day could've been enough. Let's be honest, the editing is bad. It's bad because of the way it's done. But even worse, it's also bad because of the decisions.

Bad ideas and bad execution. The latter can be explained by a lack of time or budget. Not the former.

The hot takes in this thread jesus.. skip bayless lol

Game development ain't easy, you want proof the game exist? There you have it. No footage shown? People panic heh can't win at times.

Gurish

Nice to hear it was real time in game and none of that in engine bullshit, at least we can expect those beautiful environments to actually look like that.

The hot takes in this thread jesus.. skip bayless lol

Game development ain't easy, you want proof the game exist? There you have it. No footage shown? People panic heh can't win at times.

Right but then again, it's not because people asked for a footage that said footage is immune to criticism.

The footage shown is clumsy and doesn't inspire confidence. It's not catastrophic as some people make it sounds, because the environnement looks great and the models are decent, even if they need some important tweaks.

But it still look amateurish for a number of reasons.

Pif

Banned
So excited for this, I hope it isn't another No Mans Sky.

That HD remake better be true also, otherwise I gotta somehow buy a Dreamcast to finish the previous entries of Shenmue.

zeopower6

And a week wasn't enough to edit the bad part of the trailer ?
I mean, even a day could've been enough. Let's be honest, the editing is bad. It's bad because of the way it's done. But even worse, it's also bad because of the decisions.

Bad ideas and bad execution. The latter can be explained by a lack of time or budget. Not the former.

No, like the fact that Deep Silver was part of this was basically confirmed just before Gamescom started. I don't get the "but this... but that... complaints".

No, like the fact that Deep Silver was part of this was basically confirmed just before Gamescom started. I don't get the "but this... but that... complaints".

Don't you think this would've been a lot before that ? You know that Deep Silver has some Shenmue 3 stuff at Gamescom ? They had time to make illustrations, print cardboards and such. They didn't had 10 minutes to an hour to edit the trailer ?

Freeman76

Did people think that trailer would be how the faces look in the final build?????

LOOOOOOOOOL GAF is on another level sometimes

Well I'm satisfied. The goal of 30 hours, and Deep Silver adding additional budgeting eases some concerns. Curious to see how the fighting system develops. Honestly though, I'm content to let the game submerge for 8-12 months, and see where they're at. Kickstarter doesn't need to know shit.

Yeah, I'm in agreement with all this, I'm a backer and don't need constant updates, just show things when they're good to go. Love that they're going for a 30 hour story. As for the change from the VF fighting system, I wonder why that is? I thought it was great in parts one & two.

Did people think that trailer would be how the faces look in the final build?????

LOOOOOOOOOL GAF is on another level sometimes

Some of us remember Shenmue being shown off for the very 1st time on the DC way back in early 1999 and even though that was an early build, it features better-looking character faces than what we have now.

zeopower6

I read it and think its PR speak with we've seen people making fun of the faces. How can What's Shenmue a demo made in 1998 on a DC feature better-looking models and more realistic eyes?

Looking at the final models from the SHENMUE PASSPORT that was released along with the final game and the placeholder temporary models for this game... what do you think would look better? :| ALSO this had nothing to do with people making fun of the faces, but the Japanese publication asking about why the faces may have looked stiff in the trailer to them.

Some of us remember Shenmue being shown off for the very 1st time on the DC way back in early 1999 and even though that was an early build, it features better-looking character faces than what we have now.

Chances are that was much further along than this content was. Like, come on now.

At this point, it's sort of like talking to walls that want to be disappointed or revel in "concern".

Looking at the final models from the SHENMUE PASSPORT that was released along with the final game and the placeholder temporary models for this game... what do you think would look better? :| ALSO this had nothing to do with people making fun of the faces, but the Japanese publication asking about why the faces may have looked stiff in the trailer to them.

The passport model looks worse in every ways in the tech department. But they look better from a cohesive/art point of view.

Looking at the final models from the SHENMUE PASSPORT .

The Head demos was on 'What's Shenmue' months before the final game and the final build looked no better than the very screen shots of the game on the DC, never mind the What's Shenmue demo

Why didn't they just laser scan the maquettes made for the original game?

kAmui-

A lot of people in the teaser thread were saying that the footage was over a year old. But this interview makes it sound like that isn't the case at all.

openrob

I mean, going by that, Yu Suzuki shouldn't come to Gamescom either ? Or answer interviews ?

Didn't they had a partnership with Deep Silver ? Couldn't they do it, cause you know, they do marketing ?

But yeah, are you really going to argue "10 minutes" would change the entire developpement ?
I mean, they're showing the game. The showing look amateurish. So I shouldn't criticize the amateurish look ? Guess what. The game is still on campaign for funds. I believe these 10 minutes spent for a better showing would've brought more backers than the terrible showing we had here.

Edit: nevermind, the stupid part wasn't adressed to me.

All the guy is saying is that if you are going to release a video, even an early in development one, you should make it look as good as possible.

The font is bad and was changed after confirming the original a month and half ago. The editing looks like it was done in movie maker. It makes it all look worse.

This should have been tightened up a bit is all, and you would not have had this reaction. It was preventable and the footage could still have been shown.*

*(Making a new crappy logo took time; there wasn't even an 'still in development' caption; having a video editor edit your videos should be common sense).

Now on a different note, 30 hours seems great! I hope they mean 30 hours for the main quest, but they there will be a lot more to do in the world.

Honestly I expected more like 15h.

It doesn't matter what you believe. They know how to utilize their time and money best when it comes to making the game, not you, because they know what they're doing and you don't have a single clue whatsoever what their priorities are.

And if you think a logo transition or whatever the fuck is going affect funding in anyway for a game whose production is a miracle regardless, you're being utterly ridiculous. This is concern trolling on another level.

The Head demos was on 'What's Shenmue' months before the final game and the final build looked no better than the very screen shots of the game on the DC, never mind the What's Shenmue demo

Why didn't they just laser scan the maquettes made for the original game?
Wow yeah, why didn't they just scan the heads! Easy peasy! Why didn't they think of that?

You know you should enter game development since you clearly know it better than Suzuki and his team, I'm sure they'd love to have you. Their years of experience and expertise are clearly nothing compared to your fountain of shortcuts and knowledge that will have this game looking stellar in no time.

Passport footage that was completed after Shenmue 1+2 had been largely finished on a massive record breaking budget with cutting edge tech? Yeah totally an appropriate comparison there!

All the guy is saying is that if you are going to release a video, even an early in development one, you should make it look as good as possible.

The font is bad and was changed after confirming the original a month and half ago. The editing looks like it was done in movie maker. It makes it all look worse.

This should have been tightened up a bit is all, and you would not have had this reaction. It was preventable and the footage could still have been shown.*

*(Making a new crappy logo took time; there wasn't even an 'still in development' caption; having a video editor edit your videos should be common sense).

Now on a different note, 30 hours seems great! I hope they mean 30 hours for the main quest, but they there will be a lot more to do in the world.

Honestly I expected more like 15h.

Exactly. And that's for the video editing only. Logo transition are included in most video editing softwares.

The new logo looks bad and surely took a little more than 10 minutes to be made, when the June one was perfect.

And if I edited the video, I would've removed the segments focusing that much on faces, especially for Ryo.

Now, that's for the editing part. I don't even understand why they decided to capture these face segments when they have no facial animation. If you want to show faces, dont show them in action segments but in still segments, like the one where Ryo follows Shenhua when she's pointing at the sun.

ArchAngel

As a 300$ baker, take all the time you need, Yu. If there is a person I trust in this business it's Yu Suzuki. Please don't care about these drive by shitposts! Bring back the old SEGA feeling!

It doesn't matter what you believe. They know how to utilize their time and money best when it comes to making the game, not you, because they know what they're doing and you don't have a single clue whatsoever what their priorities are.

And if you think a logo transition or whatever the fuck is going affect funding in anyway for a game whose production is a miracle regardless, you're being utterly ridiculous. This is concern trolling on another level.

Yeah right, it doesn't matter. They surely cant make a mistake or take a wrong direction. This is why they changed the logo for exemple. And we surely cant say that the Kickstarter campaign was awfully managed by Awesome Japan.

I mean, look at the reactions ! Everything looks so amazing, they clearly know perfectly what they're doing.

More seriously, I don't mind that the facial animations aren't implemented yet. In fact, I prefer to hear they're not here yet rather than them being bad. But it raise the following question:
If your model doesn't have facial animation, why do you spend so much time showing faces in action segments ?

You realize this is why the trailer got so many criticism ? Because of the awkward faces poses.

And no, I don't think the logo transition is the only problem. I said it looks bad and coupled with the editing, make the entire thing really amateurish. And as I said, logo transition are a thing in most video editing softwares. This one looks bad and amateurish.

As for calling my criticism concerned trolling, you're right, I'm concerned. I backed the game, for a fairly high amount. I'm not saying this is doomed, since I still have trust in the project. I'm saying the showing felt amateurish because of some things. Things that could've been easily fixed. And no, not for money.

And in the end, a better showing brings more people in.

nampad

-Suzuki-san would like to continue the series in Shenmue IV if possible.
-Suzuki-san is not interested in forcing the Shenmue story to complete in Shenmue III.

Hope fans won't get a cliffhanger ending which will not be continued (or at least not for a decade or so like now).

30 hours to complete the game is such a wonderful news! For some reason, I believed that this installment would be way shorter than previous entries...Glad to have my expectations adjusted for the better.

As for the moaning and foaming at the mouth elicited by the unveiling of a low budget, still in early development phase project...Well, suffice it to say that I am not shocked by the scathing comments that have been made about the sequence: Gaffers, just like the rest of the community, are a fickle and impatient breed!

zeopower6

A lot of people in the teaser thread were saying that the footage was over a year old. But this interview makes it sound like that isn't the case at all.

90% of what this teaser is what shown to KS backers at a dinner.

The font is bad and was changed after confirming the original a month and half ago. The editing looks like it was done in movie maker. It makes it all look worse..

I feel bad for Yu since his handwriting is so hated, lol. It is still up in the air though so don't expect it to stay.

Yeah right, it doesn't matter. They surely cant make a mistake or take a wrong direction. This is why they changed the logo for exemple. And we surely cant say that the Kickstarter campaign was awfully managed by Awesome Japan.

I mean, look at the reactions ! Everything looks so amazing, they clearly know perfectly what they're doing.

More seriously, I don't mind that the facial animations aren't implemented yet. In fact, I prefer to hear they're not here yet rather than them being bad. But it raise the following question:
If your model doesn't have facial animation, why do you spend so much time showing faces in action segments ?

You realize this is why the trailer got so many criticism ? Because of the awkward faces poses.

And no, I don't think the logo transition is the only problem. I said it looks bad and coupled with the editing, make the entire thing really amateurish. And as I said, logo transition are a thing in most video editing softwares. This one looks bad and amateurish.

As for calling my criticism concerned trolling, you're right, I'm concerned. I backed the game, for a fairly high amount. I'm not saying this is doomed, since I still have trust in the project. I'm saying the showing felt amateurish because of some things. Things that could've been easily fixed. And no, not for money.

And in the end, a better showing brings more people in.

The faces thing is such a lose lose situation and half you fans are being unfair about it. They don't show it, people will complain. They show it in the clear as day, don't need to be told incomplete state, people still complain. Constructive criticism barely exists here and they simply cannot win. They've done the artsy trailer where it showed bodies for the most part, and people complained then. So yeah, they can't win.

Have some patience, the game is ages away. As if it doesn't have elevated expectations as it is...

The faces thing is such a lose lose situation and half you fans are being unfair about it. They don't show it, people will complain. They show it in the clear as day, don't need to be told incomplete state, people still complain. Constructive criticism barely exists here and they simply cannot win. They've done the artsy trailer where it showed bodies for the most part, and people complained then. So yeah, they can't win.

Have some patience, the game is ages away. As if it doesn't have elevated expectations as it is...

No, I didn't say don't show them. I said don't show them during action. There are part of the trailer where it made sense to show them. I pointed to such scenes. There are parts where it didn't made sense to show them.

Yes, they can win. By not doing an amateur job. Which means having common sense.
Show this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UweI4Ra2QbM#t=21s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UweI4Ra2QbM#t=33s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UweI4Ra2QbM#t=43s

Don't show this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UweI4Ra2QbM#t=18s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UweI4Ra2QbM#t=38s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UweI4Ra2QbM#t=40s

Skronk

Banned
I think before you defend this weird trailer you should have to let us know if you're financially invested in the game already just so we know how many grains of salt to take your post with.

Never played a Shenmue game, but it annoys me how little Sega wants to do with this and potential future games in the series.

They really should've let the Yakuza guys help out. Especially since they seem similar enough and a new game from that gets made maybe a little too often.

gelf

I'm more concerned about the comment about the fighting engine then what the models look like. Loved the fight system in the past games.

Yakuza 1 on the PS2 has better character models.

yakuza-image213718.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

4HryN4C.jpg

Get glasses.

zeopower6

I think before you defend this weird trailer you should have to let us know if you're financially invested in the game already just so we know how many grains of salt to take your post with.

Regardless of if I was a backer or not they were very upfront about what this was,

No way will this be complete in 2019. Have no faith in their deadline

The end of this year was the old timeline. They will probably do fine. There's a lot that they are holding back on it seems as far as reveals till 2018 early on.

eso76

show something ! show something ! show something !

°shows something

But...this looks unfinished !

Seriously, devs must really miss the times when internet wasn't there to give any incompetent the power to be heard.

(also, what was shown looked fine for the most part)

There is zero reason to bring back the old voice actors. They were uniformly terrible. Are Shenmue fans really so blinded by nostalgia they'd rather have terrible VO just because it's the same than good VO?

zeopower6

There is zero reason to bring back the old voice actors. They were uniformly terrible. Are Shenmue fans really so blinded by nostalgia they'd rather have terrible VO just because it's the same than good VO?

This is referring to the Japanese cast if that needed to be mentioned.

I'm glad to hear it, but maybe it would've been best to just wait until they had a vertical slice they could proudly present to the public and say "This is representative of what the final product is going to look like." Instead they've potentially done some damage to the perception of the game by releasing such a half-baked, shoddy looking trailer.

SMG

I'm glad to hear it, but maybe it would've been best to just wait until they had a vertical slice they could proudly present to the public and say "This is representative of what the final product is going to look like." Instead they've potentially done some damage to the perception of the game by releasing such a half-baked, shoddy looking trailer.

Hell even editing out a few of the wonkier looking bits would help. Focus on some sweeping shots of the cities and landscapes end with a Ryo taking a fighting stance. Short and with less troll feed.

Top Bottom