• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki will be doing an AMA on Reddit

ugly

AMA Page
KICKSTARTER PAGE #SaveShenmue
View all Q & A's here. (Thanks GavinGT <3)

shenmueorsh2.jpg

~Original Post~

From the Shenmue Kickstarter page:

We're Coming to Reddit!

As we mentioned on our previous post, Yu Suzuki will be on Reddit tomorrow, 6/19, starting around 9:30 PST. This is your chance to ask the man anything - bring us your burning questions and Yu-san will do his best to answer!

Got any burning questions, GAF?

Darknight

Ask on the Shenmue 1+2 HD port, please GAF. Just ask if it was a thing, a possibility in the future or not at all. What if its a stretch goal??

pizzacat

Banned
In one word tell me your expression when you finally got word that shenmue 3 can finally happen. And tell him to take a picture

Xiraiya

As someone who has no idea what the fuss is about with Shenmue but is still excited.
I'd love to see a potential HD release of 1 and 2.

Sega will probably do a Shenmue 1 + 2 HD effort on their own now. The biggest reason is because most of the people who pledged are hardcore fans, and they need the outliers to get in as their "normal" source of revenue. You know, Shenmue virgins who've never dodged a soccer ball.

GavinGT

Banned
We compiled a list of questions in the other thread. I may not be around tomorrow, so hopefully you guys can make sure these all get asked:

Updated List of Questions for Friday's Yu Suzuki AMA

- Why no physical PS4 disc?
- What's the deal with the other two towns mentioned in the Kickstarter video?
- Can we have some more higher tier Kickstarter rewards, please?
- What do you forecast the final budget to be?
- Will the game have English and Japanese VO?
- Will Corey Marshall reprise his role?
- Can we play with Japanese voices and English subtitles?
- Will you finish the story with Shemue III?
- Do you have access to Sega-branded arcade games and capsule toys?
- Can you go into more detail about what the stretch goals actually mean?
- Will you update the controls?
- Will we see a return of some Shenmue I systems, such as lots of interactivity with objects?
- Will the free battle system still exist in the game?
- How will you update QTEs?
- How many developers do you plan to have working on the game?
- Is an Xbox One version out of the question?
- Do you have any specific cost-cutting measures in mind?
- Will the final game be at full price?
- What kind of things have been made easier/harder with technology improvements?
- How have your sensibilities as a game designer changed since Shenmue II?
- How much funding do you need to make a game on the same scale as the originals?
- Regardless of stretch goals what is the minimum number of locations that will for sure be in the game?

What new arcade game would he most like to see added?

What sort of fighting system does he plan to build. Will it be very similar to the originals or will it be vastly different

Dereck

I don't want to miss this, like 10 AMAs happened this month that I was interested in and I missed them all.

Furoba

- Will my VMU saves carry over from Shenmue II?
- Any chances on including materials from when Shenmue III was being developed for DC/XB between 2001-2003?
- For Ryo being able to communicate with Chinese characters, does that mean he actually speaks Chinese even though the voicework is English/Japanese?

GavinGT

Banned
- Will my VMU saves carry over from Shenmue II?
- Any chances on including materials from when Shenmue III was being developed for DC/XB between 2001-2003?
- For Ryo being able to communicate with Chinese characters, does that mean he actually speaks Chinese even though the voicework is English/Japanese?

They have full access to assets they created for Shenmue I, II, and III back in the day. It was mentioned in one of the numerous recent interviews.

Furoba

They have full access to assets they created for Shenmue I, II, and III back in the day. It was mentioned in one of the numerous recent interviews.

Sorry, I meant not using, but providing those materials in the form of a documentary / backer only reward.

MiszMasz

Please don't spam him about a 1 & 2 remaster. SEGA owns the rights to those and are the only ones who can provide info on or make them available. As much is stated in the Kickstarter FAQs.

Poor Yu's gonna have to field an AMA, 80% of which is "Where're 1 and 2?", and/or "Why no Xbox?", 10% "Why no PS4 disc?", and 10% actual questions about the game and his plans for it.

BioFan

Don't have a reddit account, if someone wants to help me with asking Yu san for:
A Shenmue LE PS4 for $400/$500?
A PS4 Shenmue faceplate for $100?
Thank you

Excited for this! Hoping he addresses some of our concerns and allays our fears. He'll inevitably be bombarded with questions about a PS4 physical version for the Kickstarter so I'm hoping this persuades him to implement one. Anyone know what time 9.30 PST converts to in GMT? It'd be cool if we could get a countdown timer in the OP.

GavinGT

Banned
Excited for this! Hoping he addresses some of our concerns and allays our fears. He'll inevitably be bombarded with questions about a PS4 physical version for the Kickstarter so I'm hoping this persuades him to implement one. Anyone know what time 9.30 PST converts to in GMT? It'd be cool if we could get a countdown timer in the OP.

It's 1 day and 10 minutes from right now.

Jimrpg

We compiled a list of questions in the other thread. I may not be around tomorrow, so hopefully you guys can make sure these all get asked:

Updated List of Questions for Friday's Yu Suzuki AMA

- Why no physical PS4 disc?
- What's the deal with the other two towns mentioned in the Kickstarter video?
- Can we have some more higher tier Kickstarter rewards, please?
- What do you forecast the final budget to be?
- Will the game have English and Japanese VO?
- Will Corey Marshall reprise his role?
- Can we play with Japanese voices and English subtitles?
- Will you finish the story with Shemue III?
- Do you have access to Sega-branded arcade games and capsule toys?
- Can you go into more detail about what the stretch goals actually mean?
- Will you update the controls?
- Will we see a return of some Shenmue I systems, such as lots of interactivity with objects?
- Will the free battle system still exist in the game?
- How will you update QTEs?
- How many developers do you plan to have working on the game?
- Is an Xbox One version out of the question?
- Do you have any specific cost-cutting measures in mind?
- Will the final game be at full price?
- What kind of things have been made easier/harder with technology improvements?
- How have your sensibilities as a game designer changed since Shenmue II?
- How much funding do you need to make a game on the same scale as the originals?
- Regardless of stretch goals what is the minimum number of locations that will for sure be in the game?

- Why did it take this long to make Shenmue III? Did Shenmue II fail to meet expectations?
- Can you add a sega arcade in the game and add games like Wonderboy, Outrun etc?
- Please don't put in any QTEs!

- Why did it take this long to make Shenmue III? Did Shenmue II fail to meet expectations?

I think i can answer this one for you, yes. If you want a detailed response i doubt he'd give it to you. And that last one is not a question and its not a likely thing to happen :p

Add these to the list:

1. Will the game have a day/night and weather cycle?

2. How long will the game be? Similar to the original or Shenmue II?

3. Is this going to be a watered down Shenmue? (I know this depends on how much money is raised, but I still wanna know what his answer is)

4. Can you tell us more about Niao Sun?

5. Who is your favourite Shenmue character?

Top Bottom