• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Horii: Dragon Quest 11 will be an offline game, for home consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parfait

ah!

Turn based

Home consoles

Not an MMO

rejoice.png
Hallelujah!

And by consoles at most he probably means PS3/PS4.

yojbFXu.jpg

Eagerly awaiting more DQXI news so much. Oh man I can't wait to see what they'll do.

Delstius

By all means, if someone who speaks French wants to do a translation of the stuff so we have one less layer of translation, go for it and I'll replace the OP.

I didn't read the whole interview yet but everything in the OP is correct. The part about home consoles is indeed said in general.

Terrell

Cool. DQX not being brought stateside was a disappointment, even if it was an MMO. But a non-MMO DQ game will be a lovely thing to see.

Kudo

I just hope we get something at TGS reveal would be nice, or maybe it's more in the future.

First of all: YAY! Glad it's an offline game.

Second: I agree with those saying PS3/4. PS4 probably wouldn't have enough of a userbase to sell the usual 3-4m by the time DQXI hits.

Third: In that context I'm surprised they didn't announced DQVIII remake for consoles. It would have been the perfect way to get some more people on-board after Heroes. I guess they're just trying to spread the franchise around and still take advantage of the fanbase on 3DS, but still.

Anyway, very excited about DQXI. Really hope they announce it soon. And that we actually get to play it in English.

randomkid

By all means, if someone who speaks French wants to do a translation of the stuff so we have one less layer of translation, go for it and I'll replace the OP.

That's not necessary, those OP quotes cover everything accurately.

The only notable thing that's missing is the official non-answer on localizing DQ7 and DQ8 3DS.

Please don't release it on PS3, force japanese people to buy a PS4.

Square is doing that at least with FF15, Nier 2 and KH3, so there is hope for that.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Offline? Good. Consoles? Great!

I really hope that whatever's next for the series is something that finally follows up on what DQVIII did.

Thoraxes

I have no inkling (or care) as to which console it ends up on, but knowing it'll be an offline game on a platform that uses a controller is good enough news for me. I'll buy it no matter what system it comes out on.

gimmmick

I'm guessing ps3/ps4. Just wouldn't make sense for a developer to split the cost for create two unique experiences for both the wii u / ps4.

Philippo

Sounds like it will be a straight follow-up of DQVIII design wise.
Cool, can't wait to have a proper DQ with a giant world, turn based combat in glorious HD.

FyreWulff

...And how is it going to sell in Japan if it's home consoles only? Not even a MMO like DQX (good! Back to traditional DQ style!). Main DQ sell 3-4 millions. PS4 and Wii U can't do it right now, at all...there must be more.

DQX is on the Wii U in Japan.

Likely to be PS3/Wii U as those are the current highest selling HD consoles in Japan.

There will be a presentation by Hori today at 14:15 local french time at Japan Expo, but I think it will be mostly about DQH. But I'm hoping for more :)

Gonna hijack this to tell people to follow the newly opened official english @DragonQuest twitter account since it's cute as hell

Glass Rebel

Disappointing to hear because I don't really see myself playing a DQ game on a home console in 2016 or later. I assume this is going to be on PS3/PS4, makes the most sense.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Were you expecting PC or mobile or something?

Well the main games have been on portables for quite a while now - so it shouldn't be surprising that many people are used to play these kind of games on a handheld by now.

...And how is it going to sell in Japan if it's home consoles only? Not even a MMO like DQX (good! Back to traditional DQ style!). Main DQ sell 3-4 millions. PS4 and Wii U can't do it right now, at all...there must be more.

Just be happy it's not on a handheld and we could finally see a DQ game that has progressed from the PS2 era. It seems like Horii wants to have the game on a home console and seeing as though he is the man behind the whole franchise, I'm pretty sure he has a lot of say. This franchise was created almost 30 years ago now, I'm sure he does not care about money seeing as though he was probably set for life before the 2000's even hit. As for investers, fuck em. :p

But really don't piss off the golden goose and I'm sure it would sell more than enough on consoles, at a much higher price tag compared to a handheld game.

I was hoping to play it on a handheld system, where I prefer to play all of my turn-based RPGs.

There's more than enough mobile DQ games for you to play, it's tragic people want this wonderful franchise to stay stuck on handheld gaming.

Edit - Edited that a bit, got banned last time for making the same comment so about time I stopped saying that.

Kouriozan

Also fully expect a 3DS port down the line (or even at launch), you won't convince me that the console who got 5 (6 with Slime) Dragon Quest games (building the fan base) will not get the next major one.

sublimit

Banned
Dragon Quest 11 is designed for home consoles.

All i wanted to hear!:) It would be nice if they work with Level 5 again.

This also pretty much confirms that it will come to the west.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
I was hoping to play it on a handheld system, where I prefer to play all of my turn-based RPGs.

Well the main games have been on portables for quite a while now - so it shouldn't be surprising that many people are used to play these kind of games on a handheld by now.

People expect Dragon Quest on Nintendo handhelds these days

Makes sense, I guess. Glad I'm not in that crowd though, hah.

Aeana

As with a lot of recent game announcements, it seems like there's kind of a mindset/realization that the home console market is in trouble so now is the time to do let out the big guns and see what happens. Horii might also realize he' and especially Sugiyama are getting older and decided to just make the game he personally wants to play while he still can.

i'm glad its for console as that means its more likely to be PS4 or NX (which could be region free) because if it was handheld it would likely be for 3DS and thus region locked

Actually considering he likely answered in japanese it's Japanese>French>Japanese>English

Yeah, there's little point in putting a microscope on the wording used given the circumstances. Even the information in the article is likely translated.

maruchan

What's the point of making this a console game? Their is no way it can even come close to the 5 million copies it sold in Japan..

Dark_castle

If DQXI is truly coming for consoles, why would DQVIII port comes to 3DS and not PS3/PS4 though? I think the consoles could definitely use some bump to their user base especially PS4 in Japan, and establish a larger Dragon Quest fanbase there before dropping a new mainline DQ on it.

Glass Rebel

There's more than enough mobile DQ games for you to play, it's tragic people want this wonderful franchise to stay stuck on handheld gaming.

Edit - Edited that a bit, got banned last time for making the same comment so about time I stopped saying that.

Wow, people like different things? Crazy!

Let's try to predict the platforms, just for fun. I vote multiplatform for PS3/PS4/WiiU/NX

Yea... I wouldn't count on that.

Can't see it not being on PS4 now so that's good.

Is this the rumoured Level 5 ps4 rpg or might that still be something else? Too bad it wasn't at E3, could have spiced up the conference. ;)

Usobuko

Banned
People expect Dragon Quest on Nintendo handhelds these days

Pretty awesome that it's being made for consoles this time around. Maybe I'll play my first DQ game.

I played IV & V and decides that it's not really an amazing series.

But, being on consoles, including Wii U or the NX, also meant a good probability of being available on PC unless there's some deal with Sony. This can only be good people who like certain handheld-only mainline series and want to play on the big screen. Like, you know, Monster Hunter.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
As with a lot of recent game announcements, it seems like there's kind of a mindset/realization that the home console market is in trouble so now is the time to do let out the big guns and see what happens. Horii might also realize he' and especially Sugiyama are getting older and decided to just make the game he personally wants to play while he still can.

In addition to that they have a couple of steady revenue stream when it comes to DQ nowadays anyways so they can afford to a game that might sell a bit worse than the last mainline games.

DQX is still making money, so do their mobile mainline ports, their f2p DQM is a big earner for the company and they will continue to release games on 3DS like the upcoming DQ8 Remake.

They put all the pieces in place to be present on multiple fronts so they can justify a big budget Anniversary main title on consoles without having to worry too much about the outcome.

Targeting both PS3 and PS4 would be annoying since it will yet again fail to move current-gen hardware as most will default to the console they already own.

We need a true litmus test for console-potential in Japan in the wake of mobile gaming, and DQ as a PS4 exclusive is one of the best ways to do that.

Not gonna happen though.

If something can stop the death of consoles in Japan it's DQ. I hope it works.
If not they can still port it to some handheld later on

Kyoufu

I'll take DQXI on any platform, but a console game is definitely welcome as I tend to spend most of my playing time on them. After playing DQH I would love to see a mainline DQ looking something like that visually.

Also really good to see that they're sticking to the traditional battle system. The more turn-based RPGs the better.

Atreides

Yea... I wouldn't count on that.

Of course I could be wrong, but this is my idea: NX is a good candidate, since PS3/PS4 have barely enough userbase to support the sales of a mainline DQ (PS3/PS4 real userbase is barely higher that PS3 userbase, since there is a lot of overlap), and NX will be the 3DS successor and likely to have a big userbase eventually. Nintendo is creating an enviroment that makes easy to port games, that enviroment is based on WiiU. So if they create a NX version, a WiiU version should be easy to create too, and it will add new users with little overlap with the PS3/PS4 users.

That is quite naif, in my opinion. As long as DQXI will be a traditional DQ mainline game, and given the fact that a market for jRPGs is unproven on PS4 in the West, an exclusive PS4 game is quite risky. Unless, of course, there would be a port for PC and mobile phones down the line, that would increase the lifetime of the product.

Glass Rebel

Of course I could be wrong, but this is my idea: NX is a good candidate, since PS3/PS4 have barely enough userbase to support the sales of a mainline DQ (PS3/PS4 real userbase is barely higher that PS3 userbase, since there is a lot of overlap), and NX will be the 3DS successor and thus likely to have a big userbase eventually. Nintendo is creating an enviroment that makes esay to port games, that enviroment is based on WiiU. So if they create a NX version, a WiiU version should be easy to create too, and it will add new users with little overlap with the PS3/PS4 users.

To the first bolded: No combination of home consoles right now can support the sales of mainline DQ right now. If they were concerned about sales to that extent, this would be on 3DS at least.

To the second bolded: What makes you think it is? Do we have an official quote on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom