• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Horii: Dragon Quest 11 will be an offline game, for home consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.
We must remember SE did release DQ7 and will be releasing DQ8 to 3DS though (and DQ4, 5 & 6 are playable on 3DS too right?)

Could they pull Ni-No-Kuni and make it PS4/3DS multiplatform?

Edit: And if that happens then everything falls in between would also receive ports.
Get out of here with that. There's enough Japanese games being held by last gen hardware, Ni No Kuni sequel better not be part of that damn list.
unless they have a way to make it not affected at all, but I don't see that happening

MisterR

I could maybe see DQXI skipping PS3 but I don't think it'll skip Vita. I'm not even sure why I never considered Vita previously, but it makes perfect sense. Also, again, it's really not SE's job to sell consoles. They'll have plenty of people outside of Japan to sell FF and KH to, in addition to their domestic customers. I really don't think SE needs DQ to help push hardware. They're just going to want to sell the game to the largest userbase possible in Japan and a multiplatform Sony release makes sense.

I'm still betting on all three current Sony platforms getting the game. Either way, this stuff's fun to speculate about, regardless of what happens.

I agree. With DQH II and DQ Builders on PS4/PS3/Vita, I think DQXI goes the same route.

Orgen

What the hell is happening in this thread?

A lot of people discussing about games that won't end up buying. Just like Monster Hunter :D

Anyway, more DQ games is always good and confirmation of a Western release is like music to my ears (after all the previous Dragon Quest titles left in Japan).

So all points to a remaster (V remake from PS2?) and DQ XI for the scoops left?

MLH

And what was it after DQ switched to Nintendo after DQ8?

I remember that as well, people still moan about DQ on handhelds; The DQIX DS announcement thread is archived here. People said it was a big 'fuck you' to those that bought a PS3 for DQIX (since it was previously announced for it), I wouldn't argue with that. I would rather it be multiplatform.

A lot of people discussing about games that won't end up buying. Just like Monster Hunter :D

Anyway, more DQ games is always good and confirmation of a Western release is like music to my ears (after all the previous Dragon Quest titles left in Japan).

So all points to a remaster (V remake from PS2?) and DQ XI for the scoops left?

Lets hope DQ sales increase like MH after all these heated discussion too. Will be nice to see an bump like MH did.
I remember that as well, people still moan about DQ on handhelds; The DQIX DS announcement thread is archived here. People said it was a big 'fuck you' to those that bought a PS3 for DQIX (since it was previously announced for it), I wouldn't argue with that. I would rather it be multiplatform.

You remember wrongly , DQ was never announced for PS3.

MLH

Lets hope DQ sales increase like MH after all these heated discussion too. Will be nice to see an bump like MH did.

You remember wrongly , DQ was never announced for PS3.

Maybe never officially, I do remember it being down on IGNs site as a PS3 game.

sörine

Banned
Because what you're doing is needlessly handicapping DQ's potential on the Wii U right away by drawing this comparison. Look at the numbers you're citing. The breakdown of those sales should probably tell you why I didn't even bother.

You said that Dragon Quest X sold more than Dragon Quest Heroes. Okay, that's a true statement. But it's meaningless, because the bulk of those unit sales comes from the Wii, not the Wii U. A very different platform. So, in a scenario where I'm asking someone to think about sales on the Wii U, why would I give them a faulty premise to work with? Unless I'm intentionally being a prat I guess. Not to mention, there is a significant difference in the audience you can grab with an offline game, and an online game. Or think of it another way if it's easier. If DQH had been released on the Wii U rather than PS3/PS4, it'd do much better than DQX has on the Wii U. I'm pretty confident about that. So it's better for me to tell that person to just use the DQH numbers since it's a better comparison for him to work with.

I mean, the end result is going to be flawed anyway since he's missing a lot of important information, but it helps nonetheless.
You obviously can't do a straight sales breakdown for DQX though, it had staggered releases across platforms. It doesn't matter that Wii had the bulk of sales, it also had the game exclusively for 7 months. To draw further DQX only did around 140k on 3DS even later, does that mean it has less sales potential than Wii U? You have to look not only at raw numbers but also consider the context of each release. It's not a faulty premise, it just requires nuance.

DQH also has release circumstances impacting platforms desite the game nominally being a multiplatform launch. PS4 was heavily incentivized upfront with with a pre-launch holiday bundle that comprised around a third of that version's total sales. Results would be skewed there as well then with out taking a look at factors beyond the raw numbers and platform breakdown.

If you look at actual multiplatform expansions of DQX though you'll also find an almost 50/50 split between Wii and Wii U now though, and total sales that more than quadruple those of the closest comparable Japanese MMO's expansions (FFXIV on PS3/4).

Fularu

Banned
with dqh, dqh ii, and dqb, it looks like there's a new home for it, to be honest. the 3ds has dq viii coming up and that's about it. really, any of those three aforementioned games could have come out for a nintendo platform, but it didn't happen. probably for a reason.

That reason could be that the engine for both DQH and DQH2 already existed at Omega Force for the PS3 and PS4 and would have been an easier venture than one for WiiU, especially since the Musou fanbase is much more present on Sony systems than on Nintendo ones.

As for DQ Builders, the Sony ecosystem has proved to be a viable one for Minecraft and Terraria clones in Japan so those releases make financial sense.

Blobbers

After Dragon Quest Heroes 1, 2 and Builder, there's no doubt Dragon Quest XI is gearing up to release on the PS4, maybe additional platforms.

xaszatm

Banned
I can't believe people actually want another DQ mainline title on a portable. It blows my mind.

Bring on DQXI on PS4. I'm ready for the series to take the next step forward after skipping the PS3 generation entirely. Give us the craziest cell-shading we've ever seen with full visibility of weapons and armor on the main cast. I want turn-based battles with wild, dynamic spell effects against whimsical-yet-creepy enemies and dark lords, set against an impeccable orchestral soundtrack.

THAT's what DQ is about. Not chibi-people in a world made out of lazy pop culture references with MMO pacing.

This is funny because most of what you want was on DQIX. It's also funny because DQ is perhaps one of the most static RPG systems of all time. It's part of its charm. The fact that it has stayed so true to its core (while still refining and updating it) makes it Dragon Quest. It really feels like you're chasing another series than Dragon Quest.

After Dragon Quest Heroes 1, 2 and Builder, there's no doubt Dragon Quest XI is gearing up to release on the PS4, maybe additional platforms.

i wonder if people who complained about WiiU/ 3DS holding back the PS4 version will complain if its a Vita/PS3/PS4 multi platform.

That reason could be that the engine for both DQH and DQH2 already existed at Omega Force for the PS3 and PS4 and would have been an easier venture than one for WiiU, especially since the Musou fanbase is much more present on Sony systems than on Nintendo ones.

As for DQ Builders, the Sony ecosystem has proved to be a viable one for Minecraft and Terraria clones in Japan so those releases make financial sense.

Save for Xenoblade Chronicles X and Genei Ibunroku, how many traditional RPG's have been released on Wii U, and how many are scheduled to be released in the future?.

Going by your logic that the DQH is on PS4/PS3 because of the Musou fanbase, and DQB is on PS4/PS3/Vita because the Minecraft fanbase in Japan is also there, then why does it make sense for Wii U to have the next mainline DQ game when it hardly has any RPG's released or incoming to build up the market for the genre, and the only DQ game that has released on the system didn't even do too well.

DQXI being on Wii U defeats absolutely all logic, both in Japan and overseas.

xaszatm

Banned
i wonder if people who complained about WiiU/ 3DS holding back the PS4 version will complain if its a Vita/PS3/PS4 multi platform.

Of course not. It's not Nintendo, ergo, it doesn't hold back anything!!! (If you can't tell, I'm getting a bit annoyed). Honestly, people won't complain until after the game comes out. And even then, it will be retroactively used in DQXII to prove that DQXI was held back. Like here.

Fdkn

I don't remember people saying that about wiiU when most of the guesses about DQXI are PS3+PS4

In the other hand, saying that about 3DS is absolutely true

Jigorath

Banned
Someone still arguing that DQXI is going to be on WiiU? lol

I think it's pretty clear where the game is headed. PS3/PS4 or PS3/PS4/Vita or if Square wants to go balls to the wall and makes it a PS4 exclusive.

Arkeband

Banned
This is funny because most of what you want was on DQIX. It's also funny because DQ is perhaps one of the most static RPG systems of all time. It's part of its charm. The fact that it has stayed so true to its core (while still refining and updating it) makes it Dragon Quest. It really feels like you're chasing another series than Dragon Quest.

Most of what I want was in DQIX? You mean a fully customizable (read: bland), nameless cast of heroes with no speaking lines, on a system with terrible visuals (and let's not forget the godawful framerate!) and tinny sound output. Yeah, that sounds like a regression to me.

I'm sure you got great chuckles out of Swinedimples Academy and the last boss being a parody of Illidan complete with "You are not prepared!" but by that point I was beyond disgusted.

A DQ game where four silent Krillin clones save the world isn't DQ to me. I want the next DQ to be an evolution of 8 while maybe bringing back the class system from 6 and 7.

Well for me it's a classic case of lowered expectations, DQ has been on awful hardware for the past decade due to which even going on the Vita would be a step up, PS3 and PS4 much more so. Dragon Quest Heroes made me absolutely drool on PS4, loved the look of the game so anything similar would be just lovely.

I'm still thinking it'll be 3DS, PS3 and PS4, but Vita in place of the 3DS could still make sense since the Vita has good presence overall in Japan. I don't know, though, I'm still not convinced.

If its on 3DS then it has to be different version from consoles version due to massive difference in power. Vita can scale very well from PS3 versions to be playable as we have seen many games doing that and also has enough power to do that compared to 3DS along with tools and API from sony to make the development very easy on Vita for their ecosystem. So its safe to say its will be on PS3/4/Vita but not on Nintendo console/handheld.

Get out of here with that. There's enough Japanese games being held by last gen hardware, Ni No Kuni sequel better not be part of that damn list.
unless they have a way to make it not affected at all, but I don't see that happening
Ni No Kuni PS3 and DS were completely different games beyond the story

Yep, nobody said that about the WiiU.

I guessed i remembered wrongly then , sorry .

I actually preferred the DS version since its have the better gameplay and don't extend the story to force in the White Witch. I was very disappointed with the PS3 version partly because the DS version was so good and i have higher expectations for it .

I dont know why people forget this big thing, didn't the DS version play like a Dragon quest game none the less? Compared to the ps3's .... whatever you'd call that type of combat.
ninokuni-ds-screen2.jpg

Looks like shit compared to the ps3 version.

How dare you , it looks so charming! :mad:

Jigorath

Banned
Yeah, I think DQ threads are some of the threads that shows there's a heavy bias towards console gaming here on GAF in general. And I mean, that's fine, I prefer consoles to handhelds myself, but the way people throw vile at it is really strange and dumb. People have such misplaced passions around here.

You clearly haven't read through the thread very well if you don't think there are a ton of people arguing this should be on 3DS instead.

xaszatm

Banned
Most of what I want was in DQIX? You mean a fully customizable (read: bland), nameless cast of heroes with no speaking lines, on a system with terrible visuals (and let's not forget the godawful framerate!) and tinny sound output. Yeah, that sounds like a regression to me.

I'm sure you got great chuckles out of Swinedimples Academy and the last boss being a parody of Illidan complete with "You are not prepared!" but by that point I was disgusted.

A DQ game where four silent Krillin clones save the world isn't DQ to me. I want the next DQ to be an evolution of 8 while maybe bringing back the class system from 6 and 7.

...ok, dude, no need to get so insulted. IX is a personal favorite of mine simply because of its gameplay. I don't give a rat's ass about any story in Dragon Quest. In my opinion they're all kind of weak and never part of the charm from Dragon Quest. Only story I ever felt was meaningful was V.

What you wanted was armour and weapons shown on the characters (which IX has), a graphically dynamic view of battle (which IX has...unless you wanted a dynamic gameplay system which I will tell you will never happen because it's Dragon Quest), and the best cell-shaded graphics (which was the only requirement not found on IX).

Like, really, I'm not understanding your absolute bile at Dragon Quest IX as well as this venom towards me. Are you really disgusted with me because I liked Dragon Quest IX? Really? This is so confusing to me. I like Dragon Quest IX because it's a giant callback to Dragon Quest III, which is my favorite Dragon Quest to me. Everything from the Hero being the main character with the others being people you hire from Patty's Inn to the disconnected story lines that wrap up at the end.

Also, you know that most of the puns are just the DQ localization staff, right?

sensui-tomo

I dont know why people forget this big thing, didn't the DS version play like a Dragon quest game none the less? Compared to the ps3's .... whatever you'd call that type of combat. (besides the fact story is also added in the ps3 version post Shadar)
ninokuni-ds-screen2.jpg

Looks like shit compared to the ps3 version.

That's great to hear then. I just want a few games other than FF, Kingdom Hearts and a possible jRPG from Studio Japan to try to take current gen power seriously and do something unique with it.

sensui-tomo said:
I dont know why people forget this big thing, didn't the DS version play like a Dragon quest game none the less? Compared to the ps3's .... whatever you'd call that type of combat.
In my case it isn't about forgetting, rather ignorance. I simply did not know.

To be fair, while we're using partial metrics to dictate what makes business sense, we could just as well look at revenue. Typically, VIII brought in more domestic revenue than IX while selling less copies.
I'm voluntarily using a metric as imperfect as revenue, that doesn't inform profitability this much when comparing games, to point out how we collectively tend to give the available information too much weight without acknowledging there's a lot of things we don't know.

I've probably missed some stuff in the last few pages of console wars but from the previous pages, it seemed to me people didn't like the prospect of another portable game, not that they were hating the existing games themselves?

Exactly. Revenue, profitability, what the developer wants to create, want the publisher wants for the future of the franchise, funding from other parties etc etc. These are things we can't gloss over and are unfortunately hard to determine.

That's great to hear then. I just want a few games other than FF, Kingdom Hearts and a possible jRPG from Studio Japan to try to take current gen power seriously and do something unique with it.

In my case it isn't about forgetting, rather ignorance. I simply did not know.

Like Tales of Hearts R for Vita , i feel that people miss out of the superior DS version :(

To be fair, while we're using partial metrics to dictate what makes business sense, we could just as well look at revenue. Typically, VIII brought in more domestic revenue than IX while selling less copies.
I'm voluntarily using a metric as imperfect as revenue, that doesn't inform profitability this much when comparing games, to point out how we collectively tend to give the available information too much weight without acknowledging there's a lot of things we don't know.

I've probably missed some stuff in the last few pages of console wars but from the previous pages, it seemed to me people didn't like the prospect of another portable game, not that they were hating the existing games themselves?

Do you have a number for this ? I mean, the game was sold at a higher price but kinda sold less. And for both games, we don't know at which price they sold in the long run. Also, we don't know about the budget for both games, but that would be for profitability.

Wiggy

Very surprised about the DQB news, guess this really proves verendus point that we know nothing about whats going on behind the scenes lol

crinale

I thought KT has released numerous KTGL engine games to WiiU..

We must remember SE did release DQ7 and will be releasing DQ8 to 3DS though (and DQ4, 5 & 6 are playable on 3DS too right?)

Could they pull Ni-No-Kuni and make it PS4/3DS multiplatform?

Edit: And if that happens then everything falls in between would also receive ports.

Ni no Kuni wasn't really the same game between PS3/DS. The PS3 game was developed later and was an expanded version. I seriously doubt a "DQXI for home consoles" will be going anywhere near the increasingly technologically out-of-date 3DS.

What's inferior about Hearts R on Vita? I'm playing it at the moment.

Removed and changed plot, changed skits , removed dungeon , worst battle system Recovery Stones instead of cooking , etc :(

Chalcedony addition in particular changed some decisions made by him which i don't like (its feels out of character to me :( , they could have fit him in better IMO)

I am sure there is a more comprehensive comprehension out there.

//Also this is up to individual but random encounter is added to the Vita version

Edit

how could i forget Recovery Stones !

i have to remind you that its still a decent game just not a great tales games like the DS version is .

sörine

Banned
Since late 2013, no.
There is. PS4 and One had record launches and still manage great holidays, but the rest of the year's fallen sharply from historical norms. Despite it's insane launch PS4 is already behind PS2 and Wii aligned in America for example. There is an undeniable contraction though and while it's down mostly to Nintendo totally impolding this gen, the competition isn't exactly keeping pace with previous market leaders either.

To draw another similar comparison 3DS had quite a good launch which allowed it to keep pace with DS aligned for a couple years. Four years out now though and that early lead hasn't proved sustainable for various reasons. There's a very real possibilty we'll see the something similar with PS4 and One, particularly as 360 and PS3 were somewhat late bloomers.

Do you have a number for this ? I mean, the game was sold at a higher price but kinda sold less. And for both games, we don't know at which price they sold in the long run. Also, we don't know about the budget for both games, but that would be for profitability.

Going by Japanese Wikipedia, VIII sold 3.7M copies with a launch price of 7,800yen while IX sold 4.4M copies with a launch price of 5,800 yen, so yeah, it very probably brought in more revenue. But that's irrelevant to my point, which is that this kind of information isn't always as meaningful as we think it is or only gives part of the picture.

Sales numbers are great to see market dynamics at work but they aren't the ultimate metric to second guess a company's business outlook.

(I'm writing "very probably" as you'd need a breakdown of sales between full price and cheaper versions or some kind of average revenue per copy)

test_account

XP-39C²
...wow...like...wow...I don't even mind DQXI being on a non-Nintendo console (quite frankly, DQ deserves to have its XI game be on whatever the hell it wants to be) but the sheer active hate people have for the 3DS DQ games surprises me. It almost makes me want them do announce it as a 3DS exclusive (which I highly doubt) just to see the tears and "DQ IS DOOMING ITSELF! DON'T THE KNOW NINTENDO IS DOOMED!?!" hysteria that will fall out.

Like...what is with this? This screaming that Square Enix is jumping ship 100% to PS4 permanently? This insistence that all these DS DQ games were retroactively horrible? That DQIX is a piece of crap (which is weird because it's my second favorite Dragon Quest of all time after III)? What the hell is happening in this thread?
Can you give any examples of this sheer hate?

Sayad

You don't have to wonder, there are people in DQB thread complaining about it being on PS3, it also happened with DQH and then again with DQH2. Is there even a single high profile cross gen game that no one complained about it being cross gen here?!

...ok, dude, no need to get so insulted. IX is a personal favorite of mine simply because of its gameplay. I don't give a rat's ass about any story in Dragon Quest. In my opinion they're all kind of weak and never part of the charm from Dragon Quest. Only story I ever felt was meaningful was V.

What you wanted was armour and weapons shown on the characters (which IX has), a graphically dynamic view of battle (which IX has...unless you wanted a dynamic gameplay system which I will tell you will never happen because it's Dragon Quest), and the best cell-shaded graphics (which was the only requirement not found on IX).

Like, really, I'm not understanding your absolute bile at Dragon Quest IX as well as this venom towards me. Are you really disgusted with me because I liked Dragon Quest IX? Really? This is so confusing to me. I like Dragon Quest IX because it's a giant callback to Dragon Quest III, which is my favorite Dragon Quest to me. Everything from the Hero being the main character with the others being people you hire from Patty's Inn to the disconnected story lines that wrap up at the end.

Also, you know that most of the puns are just the DQ localization staff, right?

Post reeks of victim complex and, ironically, the biggest singers of the 'DQ IS DOOMED' chorus are those who are betting against the business acumen behind a PS3/PS4 release. The constant 'don't expect it to reach the sales of DQIX', 'PS3 has a tiny active userbase' and '3DS is where the market is, not PlayStation' are deafening.

You don't have to wonder, there are people in DQB thread complaining about it being on PS3, it also happened with DQH and then again with DQH2. Is there even a single high profile cross gen game that no one complained about it being cross gen here?!

Persona 5? Tales of Zestiria too i guessed?

Kyoufu

There were people complaining about P5 being on PS3 even before the PS4 version got announced. Same for Zestiria, go check their threads, not even being PS3 only at first saved them from that fate.

People have moved on from PS3 to PS4, hence the complaints of a PS3 only game. You'll find that a lot of people who originally complained were made happy when the PS4 version was announced.

xaszatm

Banned
Post reeks of victim complex and, ironically, the biggest singers of the 'DQ IS DOOMED' chorus are those who are betting against the business acumen behind a PS3/PS4 release. The constant 'don't expect it to reach the sales of DQIX', 'PS3 has a tiny active userbase' and '3DS is where the market is, not PlayStation' are deafening.

Oh, I think the people who are screaming 3DS-exclusive or bust are stupid as well. I've already said that this DQXI will be on whatever system Horii wants to be. I don't really care. I've always been a person who buys Nintendo and Sony hardware so I win no matter which system gets chosen. Quite frankly, there's good reason for both systems offered to have the game and until we get the actual target (actually, watch, it might be really insane and be a PC exclusive :p) console, all of this is just baseless speculation.

Also, victim complex?

There were people complaining about P5 being on PS3 even before the PS4 version got announced. Same for Zestiria, go check their threads, not even being PS3 only at first saved them from that fate.

That sucks ; i am the opposite , i rather more PS3 version localized .

Removed and changed plot, changed skits , removed dungeon , worst battle system Recovery Stones instead of cooking , etc :(

Chalcedony addition in particular changed some decisions made by him which i don't like (its feels out of character to me :( , they could have fit him in better IMO)

I am sure there is a more comprehensive comprehension out there.

//Also this is up to individual but random encounter is added to the Vita version

Edit

how could i forget Recovery Stones !

i have to remind you that its still a decent game just not a great tales games like the DS version is .

Disagree completely. I hated what I played of the DS version. Vita version is the best Tales game I've played since Eternia.

Disagree completely. I hated what I played of the DS version. Vita version is the best Tales game I've played since Eternia.

Care to elaborate why?

to avoid thread derail , you can just edit your post :D
That's my case. I won't sell my PS3 but my focus is surely on PS4. I'm happy for Yakuza 5, but I'd be happier it there was a PS4 version.

Make sense, i on the other hand will rather this gen last longer . PS4 development cost is too high for most Japaneses companies so they mostly looks like higher resolution PS3 games anyway . i don't mind an game with lesser IQ as long as its still as fun.

mejin

People have moved on from PS3 to PS4, hence the complaints of a PS3 only game. You'll find that a lot of people who originally complained were made happy when the PS4 version was announced.

That's my case. I won't sell my PS3 but my focus is surely on PS4. I'm happy for Yakuza 5, but I'd be happier it there was a PS4 version.

Sayad

Oh, I'm not judging or saying it was all baseless complaints. Just trying to say that if DQXI is announced for PS4/PS3, some would complain about it being cross-gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom