• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

rulerk1

But dlc doesn't cost me a game and a toy to buy and make the character effective instead of a scrub. If DLC I can buy the item from the game and do everything I can in the game itself to train the character and improve its health.

Whether its an amiibo or buying stuff off of a digital store its really the same thing. One just has multiple uses in different games then just one. They do sell the amiibo on it's own if you really want it

Eradicate

Oh I agree. I'll wait until we have more info to fully condemn Nintendo over this, but with the limited info I have right now it seems like a Greedy ass move. I'll give them benefit of the doubt until officially answered in an interview or something though.

I wonder if they'll have "regular" wolves in the game, but just the Wolf Link wolf has the potential to have more hearts, can acquire again in 24 hours (maybe the regular wolves are really hard to train or something?), etc. More a "wolf plus" than something that can't exist otherwise.

...I want to ride a wolf like a horse in this game.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I wonder if they'll have "regular" wolves in the game, but just the Wolf Link wolf has the potential to have more hearts, can acquire again in 24 hours (maybe the regular wolves are really hard to train or something?), etc. More a "wolf plus" than something that can't exist otherwise.

...I want to ride a wolf like a horse in this game.

This is my hope. That we'll have other animal companions, and that they didn't build a whole companion subsystem into the game just for the Wolf Link amiibo. Because it would be a kind of shitty thing to do.

We've already seen in the trailer Link can ride wild horses, hopefully some ability extends beyond that.

If there is some kind of sheikah flying machine this will be my GOTF. From the crazy stuff we seen it's not out of the quedtion. Who needs Lofwings.

SRL4gR6l.jpg

This is my hope. That we'll have other animal companions, and that they didn't build a whole companion subsystem into the game just for the Wolf Link amiibo. Because it would be a kind of shitty thing to do.

We've already seen in the trailer Link can ride wild horses, hopefully some ability extends beyond that.

I'm pretty confident that we'll have a companion horse too, in addition to the ability to ride wild horses. The wild horse in the trailer didn't have a saddle/saddlebags but then the one in the next scene (Epona possibly?) did, which indicates that it will likely expand your item storage capacity. I also wouldn't be surprised if the horse helps fend off attackers when you're dismounted, or other things like that.

Maybe other animals too. It would be cool if you could train a boar to ride it, or loftwing, ocean animal, camel for the desert, etc...

We've barely scratched the surface of this game, I'm wayyyyy too hyped already. Save me, GAF!
Zelda is life

Hobbun

Oh I agree. I'll wait until we have more info to fully condemn Nintendo over this, but with the limited info I have right now it seems like a Greedy ass move. I'll give them benefit of the doubt until officially answered in an interview or something though.

I don’t have an issue with the amiibos and how they are giving bonuses. From what I’ve seen, they are minor additions. Now, if you were able to access a huge dungeon (not like the new one in TP), I could see people getting annoyed.

Speaking of TP, I purchased the remaster (with the wolf). Looks like I will be going through that again soon enough. If I have the wolf, may as well use it. Besides, I like the amiibos and have no issues purchasing them.

RomanceDawn

Oh I never thought about an aquatic animal! Give us a horse, a bird and some sort of dolphine or frog and I'd be set! I just don't want machines, things like skells are cool I just think living breathing creatures are more fun to look at and interact with.

The ocean is pretty big and if we can swim down there at some point I have to imagine well get more behond a raft to get around.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'm pretty confident that we'll have a companion horse too, in addition to the ability to ride wild horses. The wild horse in the trailer didn't have a saddle/saddlebags but then the one in the next scene (Epona possibly?) did, which indicates that it will likely expand your item storage capacity. I also wouldn't be surprised if the horse helps fend off attackers when you're dismounted, or other things like that.

Maybe other animals too. It would be cool if you could train a boar to ride it, or loftwing, ocean animal, camel for the desert, etc...

We've barely scratched the surface of this game, I'm wayyyyy too hyped already. Save me, GAF!
Zelda is life

It's Epona for sure. Miyamoto called her so by name in the Game Awards footage way back when and we've seen her in the official artwork and again in the most recent trailer. They wouldn't give us a horse that isn't Epona.

I'm not that interested in other mountable companions. A flying mount would be cool, but I'm not dying for it. But I would like other companions that can help with exploring, combat and such. Like a wolf or say an owl for scouting. They sort of had this in TP and the early trailers hinted at a larger feature of interacting with animals, but it didn't pan out. Hopefully they've revived that here in BotW.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Getting this for the Wii-U and not getting an NX until I complete the game (by complete I mean get to the end credits) I never really 100% games. maybe this will be my first?

Keyouta

I love the fact that it's physics based, that gif of the enemy throwing a rock at Link and you hit it back is awesome. Game looks amazing.

Does anybody get emotional watching the trailer. The music is so amazing. I almost cried when I first watched it and it feels like I get more emotional when I watch it again lol

ZeldaFan5991

Neo Member
Am I the only one seeing the ruins of the temple of time and thinking that maybe there will be some form of time travel in this game. Maybe to a period where it's less abandoned/wild/degraded. Like a look back at what happened while link snoozed. May not happen given the amount of content in the game. But it would be downright amazing regardless.

Perhaps small sections of the world could go back in time. Kind of like hyrule castle in wind waker etc.

Does anybody get emotional watching the trailer. The music is so amazing. I almost cried when I first watched it and it feels like I get more emotional when I watch it again lol

Can't say I almost cried but your post made me go back to watch it again for like the 7,456th time.

Am I the only one seeing the ruins of the temple of time and thinking that maybe there will be some form of time travel in this game. Maybe to a period where it's less abandoned/wild/degraded. Like a look back at what happened while link snoozed. May not happen given the amount of content in the game. But it would be downright amazing regardless.

Perhaps small sections of the world could go back in time. Kind of like hyrule castle in wind waker etc.

Yeah some of us have been discussing that possibility, definitely would be cool:

Remember how (pre-E3) Aonuma mentioned that he had a certain "twist" on the open world genre? Did we actually see anything which could constitute that "twist" in all of this footage?

I'm betting that there will definitely be a time travel element, and having something as dynamic as time travel arrows which bring whatever they hit into the past/future/whatever would be ridiculously cool.

Also the towns are likely related to time travel. Imagine if there are actually two versions of this overworld- present version and pre-Link's 100 year nap where Hyrule hasn't yet been destroyed. That would definitely be an awesome "twist" that I can imagine them doing. Thinking about it even more, Aonuma mentioned the minimalist music style had a lot to do with the ruined, desolate atmosphere... imagine if upon going back to the past we get a full overworld theme similar to previous Zeldas! How incredibly epic would that be?

It really sounds unfeasible doesn't it? But with all that we've seen so far of this game who knows what insane wizardry Nintendo has been cooking up for this game. It's so damn exciting!

I really hope they do a Smash Dojo-like weekly update for the next 9 months. Maybe 1 new screenshot every week and a new short trailer every month? Please??

sinxtanx

Game of the Forever obv, some *updated* thoughts after extensively watching the demo

══ Most trees are the same size, this weirds me out a bit because it makes it seem like a well-maintained park. If it's gonna be a wild forest, there should be a smooth variation from young to old trees spread around the forest. And if there was more variation on types of trees within individual forests, that'd help a lot too.

══ If flurry rush didn't have slow motion and instead just had the WW chime and let you mash it out, I would like it more. As it is now, it's seems too rewarding (and jarring).

══ Link can shoot several slow motion arrows in one jump. Also I did not see anyone try, but can you do a regular jump on flat ground and get the slow motion for the arrow? As it is, the slow motion drains stamina quickly, but I'd like to see the amount of arrows you can fire in one jump reduced to just one, and to definitely not be possible from flat ground, it should require some respectable height.

══ Right analog has X and Y axis, would like to see them both used for quick select to group weapons/shields of the same type instead of this X axis which is going to get loooooooong.

══ Magnesis/stasis/cryosis rune detective mode is overdoing it, should be toned WAY down.

══ Runes in general have very unsubtle effects design, which I don't think is at all necessary.

══ Is the magic meter truly gone? they didn't show the HUD in the off-plateau videos...

══ Wondering if there'll be fishing poles, and if they'll count as weapons or have their own slot in L items or if you'll even be able to customize what you have in the L menu... the tutorial text says that L is for "Use item", not "magic runes" or "sheikah powers" and Dpad up says "swap special item" so I fully expect the game to have items beyond the runes. But boomerangs I want as standard weapons - whack enemies like an idiot or throw it for huge damage and then having to CATCH it with A? Nintendo MAKE MY DREAM TRUE

══ Dpad down is the whistling. People playing accidentally whistle all the time while switching their gear. Gotta call up your horse somehow, and that's it.

══ Re; Skyloft looking thing - Skyloft, probably. Not that strange or surprising, many Zelda games have sky temples. What IS surprising is that it moves around. Hopefully Link will get a flying mount late in the game and Skyloft is where you also find the green tunic.

══ Game Over screen asks if you want to load your last autosave. This has me thinking that the game will have more than three save slots, and may just let you save into any slot whenever you want.
99 slots the dream

══ They obviously HAVE a system for partner characters with Wolf Link. If Link could hire or otherwise get different companions, that'd be REALLY cool. Like if he had a Boar Charm and could make a boar tag along.

══ One special item I could see happening but probably won't is something like the mind control from Wind Waker, but usable on all enemies and animals.

══ Hylia statue glows, but stops when Link gets near hhhhnnnngh what item will I neeeeeeeeeed this gaaaaaaame

══ All this cooking. Part time work at restaurant in town sidequest, I can feel it.

══ Random item wishlist:
-Pegasus boots for dashing like a madman.
-Fancy clothes from sidequests.
-Zora armor set for swimming and diving indefinitely let's GO
-Climbing gloves/shoes to climb faster with.
-A magical hovershield has to be in the game, it just has to.
-Lantern.
-Hookshots (of differing lengths and speed) as "bow" items.
-Masks are fun. Forty masks.
-Ball+chain weapon type.
-Bug net.

══ Wishes for Hero Mode
-No item or tutorial popups.
-No increase in enemy damage or health (ok maybe health BUT NOT TOO MUCH).
-Don't change item durability.
-Increased damage taken should come from making enemies more aggressive and tactics-minded. Bokoblins as example; in the demo they're slow to react (often having Link in their face they would just wait for him to strike them) and like to use their jump attack too much. Them dodging when noticing your windup, flanking and only using the jump attack when Link is vulnerable would make them more challenging in an interesting way.
-Double day/night cycle length to 48 minutes.
-Having to hold food items and eat them in real time (cooked food being faster to eat to further incentivize cooking) to make players consider their approach to enemy encounters more strongly.
-No slow motion arrows.
-Really, just remove as many "training wheels" as possible instead of just upping damage. Hero mode until now has only been hard at the beginning, make it a full-stack difficulty increase and break the Zelda conventions, Aonuma!

══ My only NX wish
-Always have the closest shrine loaded in memory so we don't get the loading times when entering/exiting

-A magical hovershield has to be in the game, it just has to.

I didn't know I needed this until you mentioned it. God damn.

I bet there can be a bunch of neat shieldsurfing effects- if you have a fire shield, fireshield surfing through dead grass leaves a trail of flames behind you. Ice shield slides more easily on flat surfaces.

Love the rest of the list too, good work!

Oidisco

Something I kinda like is that you can make this game much more difficult for yourself if you want by making simple rules for your playthrough.

Play shirtless for extra damage
Only use weak weapons to enemies more difficult to kill
Only eat food after combat, not during

And finally, Permadeath

balgajo

Guys, about the demo:

There was a time someone was near the "Great Bridge of Hylia". Was there in the controlled demo showed by Nintendo representants? If not, do we have footage of someone crossing the bridge?

Flare

Guys, about the demo:

There was a time someone was near the "Great Bridge of Hylia". Was there in the controlled demo showed by Nintendo representants? If not, do we have footage of someone crossing the bridge?

Demo was limited to the Plateau area. They didn't let the players acquire the paraglider to go anywhere else.

Earlier in the thread we were theorizing about the creature on Death Mountain, this bullshot is probably the clearest we can see of that:

visPD7A.jpg

Not sure how I missed it the first time, but it definitely looks like a giant guardian or possibly Gohma...

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Earlier in the thread we were theorizing about the creature on Death Mountain, this bullshot is probably the clearest we can see of that:

visPD7A.jpg

Not sure how I missed it the first time, but it definitely looks like a giant guardian or possibly Gohma...

Def looks like a giant guardian. Like a really really giant guardian.

i think I will go on media black out from now on. this game is too good to be spoiled anymore.

any news on when we will see the NX?

I need that console for this game

Grisby

Finally got around to watching some of the footage and it's good. For the first time in forever I'm excited to play a Zelda game. Going back to a Zelda 1 deal is pretty neat.

The empty spaces kind of bothers me a bit, but it might not be so bad if you're interacting with the world a lot. Gives me a Shadow of Colossus vibe in some ways.

Hopefully they change that climbing speed though. Link looks like he's moving though molasses.

The_Lump

Banned
Anyone capture footage of that black/red swirly stuff kinda floating around the castle at sunrise? Think Trinen was at the controls at the time, seemed to deliberately turn the camera away from it when it happened.

Chaos17

Great job with the OP by the way, i've linked this thread to a lot of people and they can't be more excited about the game :)

No. I thank you guys to have contributed so much to this thread. I had a great time discovering new stuff that you shared.

cgdg2e21e1.gif

Anyone capture footage of that black/red swirly stuff kinda floating around the castle at sunrise? Think Trinen was at the controls at the time, seemed to deliberately turn the camera away from it when it happened.

Lcj0NP3.gif

No. I thank you guys to have contributed so much to this thread. I had a great time discovering new stuff that you shared.

cgdg2e21e1.gif

Lcj0NP3.gif

Looking closely at Calamity Ganon, at times during his swirling he looks a bit dragon-ey with a huge mouth that opens and closes, but then his head sorta turns around and he looks somewhat humanoid with horns. It's a really cool design, I can't wait to see more of it.

Game of the Forever obv, some *updated* thoughts after extensively watching the demo

══ Most trees are the same size, this weirds me out a bit because it makes it seem like a well-maintained park. If it's gonna be a wild forest, there should be a smooth variation from young to old trees spread around the forest. And if there was more variation on types of trees within individual forests, that'd help a lot too.

Didn't seem that way to me. The area with the bigger trees had various sizes, and shrubs. I thought it looked fine.

══ If flurry rush didn't have slow motion and instead just had the WW chime and let you mash it out, I would like it more. As it is now, it's seems too rewarding (and jarring).

This does seem odd. There's not really any reason for it to slow down. All you're doing is pressing the button a bunch. I'd much rather it just be a special move in real time.

Speaking of which, I really hope you learn more moves, or that there are more we haven't seen anyone pull off yet.

══ Right analog has X and Y axis, would like to see them both used for quick select to group weapons/shields of the same type instead of this X axis which is going to get loooooooong.

Item switching does seem kinda cumbersome. Maybe they will polish the flow a bit.

Looking closely at Calamity Ganon, at times during his swirling he looks a bit dragon-ey with a huge mouth that opens and closes, but then his head sorta turns around and he looks somewhat humanoid with horns. It's a really cool design, I can't wait to see more of it.

Seems pretty clear to me that the actual shape of the model is a boar head, though there are a couple times the silhouette of the upper jaw looks a little like a person.

T4yLu30.gif

Hopefully they change that climbing speed though. Link looks like he's moving though molasses.

yo dawg, climbing is hard shit. There's already elixers and food to prepare which will give you way more stamina, which will in turn allow you to quick jump upward more often while climbing, which is an increase in climbing speed. given the ludicrous of of shit sculpted in to this game I can easily see some armor that straight up speeds up the climbing animation without hitting stamina harder, and the obviously a hookshot which can give you a massive starting boost before climbing the rest of the way up to the next available resting point

Seems pretty clear to me that the actual shape of the model is a boar head, though there are a couple times the silhouette of the upper jaw looks a little like a person.

The way the horns are arranged next to the glowing yellow dots (eyes, I presume) makes that look like a humanoid head, especially like phantom Ganon from Wind Waker, yeah. I wonder if the close up form has features of a giant boar and a human head, like Ganon + Ganondorf.

Meesh

This may sound trivial, maybe someone whose played the demo knows, when Link is running around in the rain do we hear his splooshy-squishy footsteps?? Tell me we do :)

Bagu

I noticed that too. Gives Ganon a feeling of being more an inhuman force nature than an actual person. Really dig it.

The way the horns are arranged next to the glowing yellow dots (eyes, I presume) makes that look like a humanoid head, especially like phantom Ganon from Wind Waker, yeah. I wonder if the close up form has features of a giant boar and a human head, like Ganon + Ganondorf.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I don't think there's a humanoid shape in there at all. There are a few frames where it looks a bit like it, but the shape of the volumes you can discern as it rotates don't match that idea. The Phantom Ganon people are seeing in there is nothing more than pareidolia, in my opinion.

Obviously, I could be wrong as there's not a lot of visible detail, but the 3D volume is actually pretty well defined if you watch closely. I couldn't trace all of it because it's bloody hard to do in stills compared to what you can pick out in motion.

Edit:

i see that but i also it shifting forms fluidly

I don't. It looks like a fairly simple rendering, actually, of a single, relatively static model (outside of the jaw hinge) with a surface shader, obscured by particle effects (or whatever you do clouds with). Zelda does a ton of its magic effects this way if you watch closely.

what do you guys think a decent 42" OLED set will cost around March of next year? Im not concerned with 4K but I want this game's color palette to to pop as much as possible

I found Zelda's(?) voice emotional, when she says 'wake up Link' and you get the view of Link running and jumping off the cliff into Hyrule :')

Can't wait to see actual characters in this game. Your new friends, foes, Ganon... ZELDA. I'm sure she will look majestic here!

I know it's Zelda so a few goofy character designs are expected but I'm hoping casual villagers/friends aren't as absurd as Skyward Sword designs

Chaos17

what do you guys think a decent 42" OLED set will cost around March of next year? Im not concerned with 4K but I want this game's color palette to to pop as much as possible

You're right to be concerned since I saw the 1080P video (in my op), I was like : "did I just watched 5 hours of streaming in potato quality while this game look way better depending of the tv ?"
Unfortunaly, I've no knowledge of tv, so I can't help you, sorry.

Before E3, I thought maybe the hooded Link was a mage Link and the book was a spell book, but I guess that was way off. It would have been cool if you could have Links that were basically different RPG classes, like hunter, mage, warrior, rogue. I guess you can still kind of play like that, depending on your armor and weapons. I would want to play a Hunter Link. Like a WoW Hunter with a pet.

Just watching some footage and taking some hints from the dev team. The Hylian Goddess statue from Skyward Sword in the Ocarina of Time style Temple of Time is certainly suspect. Then we see a character that looks VERY similar to the King from Wind Waker.

Then we are told that the towns are not being shown in the demo to protect the story. I wonder if we may be seeing towns from previous games spread all over this massive world. Calamity Ganon has somehow converged the multiple timelines and is ready to put an end to everything.

It's gonna be a long 9 months.

MajorMane

Just watching some footage and taking some hints from the dev team. The Hylian Goddess statue from Skyward Sword in the Ocarina of Time style Temple of Time is certainly suspect. Then we see a character that looks VERY similar to the King from Wind Waker.

Then we are told that the towns are not being shown in the demo to protect the story. I wonder if we may be seeing towns from previous games spread all over this massive world. Calamity Ganon has somehow converged the multiple timelines and is ready to put an end to everything.

It's gonna be a long 9 months.

Check out this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1234504

Addi

So as soon as the light from the castle flares up, the "dragon version" of the beat disintegrates. It looks like that it turns into a smaller demon with horns (the nostrils becomes the eyes, his face and horns pointing left of the screen)

So as soon as the light from the castle flares up, the "dragon version" of the beat disintegrates. It looks like that it turns into a smaller demon with horns (the nostrils becomes the eyes, his face and horns pointing left of the screen)

It doesn't disintegrate until it's directly above the central spire. The yellow lights are eyes the whole time.

People keep asserting that the upper jaw at the end is Phantom Ganon without accounting for the fact that the bottom jaw is still clearly visible until the entire thing disintegrates at once. The two smaller tusks on the lower jaw are still visible, even.

Addi

It doesn't disintegrate until it's directly above the central spire. The yellow lights are eyes the whole time.

People keep asserting that the upper jaw at the end is Phantom Ganon without accounting for the fact that the bottom jaw is still clearly visible until the entire thing disintegrates at once. The two smaller tusks on the lower jaw are still visible, even.

There's like 1-2 seconds in-between the light from the castle flaring up and him falling apart. Doesn't need to be simultaneous. Seems obviously related to me.

If the nostrils are the eyes, then he never changes, but he can still be both at the same time. A "demon" Ganon laying on his back (not saying phantom Ganon) and a "dragon" Ganon, you know, like the illusions where you see an old lady or a young woman at the same time. The eye placement on the nostrils seems a bit weird if it isn't to make a combination. Anyway, who knows, that's what it looks like to me.

Top Bottom