• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ilvermorny (US Hogwarts) video teaser + Writings from JK Rowling

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuuKyK

WBC02_Still_01.jpg

UPDATE 28/06:

Full Ilvermorny video here.

Ilvermorny foundation story by J.K Rowling (read this!) here.

There is also a new sorting ceremony for you to be placed in one of the four Ilvermorny houses: Horned Serpent, Pukwudgie, Thunderbird or Wampus, so try that out too.

New video teaser for Ilvermorny (US School) courtesy of Entertainment Weekly.

Also there will be four "chapters" of writing about wizardry in North America by JK Rowling in Pottermore.

First chapter of the series is out tomorrow and they will all be released before Fantastic Beasts launch in november.

Exciting.

Stuff mentioned: Skin walkers (native american tradition), Salem Witches Trials.

Edit: I will be adding the chapters here so that we have a summary of stuff happening in chronological order.

CHAPTER 1: "Fourteenth Century – Seventeenth Century"

CHAPTER 2: "Seventeenth Century and Beyond"

CHAPTER 3: "Rappaport's Law"

CHAPTER 4: "1920s Wizarding America"

Barzul

So there's a magical constitution? What's the second amendment, right to bear wands for everyone including muggles? Murica'

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So there's a magical constitution? What's the second amendment, right to bear wands for everyone including muggles? Murica'

Wizards inside the NRA constantly fight to legislation that allows Wizards kids to bring guns to school.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
The resurgence of the potter world has me so excited
I need a massive game with it all in

Terrible name.

I realize it's her own made up universe, but she's nearing George Lucas levels with some of this shit. Fans (to include my wife) eat it up, but the different school names are terrible.

Someone make a Rowling name generator.

I wonder if outlining this stuff through Pottermore and Fantastic Beasts is Rowling's way to prep the fiction for an "expanded universe" treatment, where other authors will get to step-in to write additional books covering different parts of the Wizarding World ala the Star Wars EU.

Barzul

Terrible name.

I realize it's her own made up universe, but she's nearing George Lucas levels with some of this shit. Fans (to include my wife) eat it up, but the different school names are terrible.

Deja Vu' could swear I've read this post before.

ElFly

Fantastic Beasts could easily avoid the Lucas-Prequel problem if it avoids tying into Voldemort's past.

Tho maybe some Grindelwald would be acceptable.

Fantastic Beasts could easily avoid the Lucas-Prequel problem if it avoids tying into Voldemort's past.

Isn't it so far back that that's basically impossible? When was Tom Riddle prancing around Hogwarts time-wise, anyway

LuuKyK

I have to say I loved the music in that teaser, if its any indication of what we will be hearing in the movie thats great.

PSqueak

Banned
Terrible name.

Why do people act as this post book stuff having terrible names is something new? the books are chokefull of terrible names, at this point it's tradition and part of the charm.

Deja Vu' could swear I've read this post before.

Where? Not that it's a particularly original thought, I'll admit. It's a JK Rowling level post, if you will.

Why do people act as this post book stuff having terrible names is something new? the books are chokefull of terrible names, at this point it's tradition and part of the charm.

That's perfectly fair. I'm just stunned at how bad they are, I guess. I don't know what I expected. I don't blame her. I would be doing the exact same thing if I could. Keep cashing those checks.

LuuKyK

I dont think thats going to happen. Doesnt really make sense considering the movie takes place in the early 20s. Voldemort/Riddle is not that old.

Edit: beaten.

Symphonia

Banned
The Potter universe has so much potential, and I'm glad to see Rowling is expanding upon it through Pottermore. I just wish she'd release more retail books. I'd love to see a new series set in the same universe, but following a different group of witches and wizards.

I think he was in his fifth year in 1942, so he started in 1937 or 1938. Definitely too far back to have Voldemort.

Speaking of that timeframe, has Rowling written anything about the magic world during the era of WW2 ie were there witches and wizards wanting to break their concealment from the muggle world to like stop the genocide of millions of people that was happening?

LuuKyK

Speaking of that timeframe, has Rowling written anything about the magic world during the era of WW2 ie were there witches and wizards wanting to break their concealment from the muggle world to like stop the genocide of millions of people that was happening?

IIRC the Quidditch Through the Ages book mentions it in like a paragraph, but its obviously not much to have a good idea.

In another thread I think. I know it wasn't this one for sure.....maybe I'm just losing it a bit :/

Oh. I posted a reply to an earlier thread before realizing it was months old and the OP invoked the new news, new thread clause. At which point I deleted it and came in here. So you aren't going crazy if you saw that in the 30 seconds pre-edit.

Or maybe you are. :)

Pilgrimzero

They can't be bothered to use their healing magic to help muggles, why would they go to war for us?

I'm betting the majority of these things teased will be part of Fantastic Beasts, which is awesome.

I don't think this will touch Voldemort at all - Grindelwald would be interesting, even has background noise.

El Topo

I think it's best to ignore a topic that cannot be handled appropriately.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Isn't it so far back that that's basically impossible? When was Tom Riddle prancing around Hogwarts time-wise, anyway

This is set well before that. He would have started going to school in 1938.

The movie COULD possibly have info about Dumbledore or Grindlewald, though it's noted in the books that Grindelwald's influence never really spread past Europe.

Here's a basic timeline.

1881 - Dumbledore is Born.
1899 - Dumbledore and Grindlewald become friends for a few weeks.
1926 - Tom Riddle is Born
1945 - Dumbledore and Grindlewald's duel
1970 - Voldemort begins trying to seize power
1981 - Voldemort is killed trying to kill Harry
1998 - Voldemort is killed for good

The movie is set sometime in the 1920's, so Grindlewald's reign would be ongoing.

Kinokou

I wonder if outlining this stuff through Pottermore and Fantastic Beasts is Rowling's way to prep the fiction for an "expanded universe" treatment, where other authors will get to step-in to write additional books covering different parts of the Wizarding World ala the Star Wars EU.

I'm feeling the same way.

Toa TAK

Banned
Not a big HP fan (stopped reading mid-way through the 3rd book and only saw the first two films).

But I would love to see what Rowling does with US history.

samn

I don't like all these online bits and pieces. I want a story with the wordbuilding laced through it

Just write a new book. Ditch harry and co and give me a modern day series set with new kids starting their first yeear at Ilvermorny

dukeoflegs

Ilvermorny at first glance looked like I love mommy.

Anyways, my daughter is really excited about this it was all she talked about when she came and visited this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom