• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle Fighter soft launches in select countries [Tell me if Dino Crisis is in please

Jawmuncher

d7c395ac-4494-4e54-8mbj3h.jpeg

Puzzle Fighter has Soft Launched in these countries
· Australia
· Canada
· Hong Kong
· Malaysia
· Mexico
· Singapore

It’ll be expanding to other regions later and you can pre-register on the website.
http://www.puzzlefighter.com/news_view.php?id=11/puzzle-fighter-soft-launches

There was also a funny Capcpom moment with the twitter misspelling their own @
f5a56f8f-1812-41a8-9dwbkw.jpeg

Also some impressions from those who can play it now would be nice too.

blackjon24

Completely forgot about this game. The only capcom game with worst art direction than mvc.

I will post impressions from the people of Canada...I promise I will try to have an open mind lol

seady

I don’t understand the point of soft launch in digital games. Especially when this isn’t even hyped or popular.

Jawmuncher

Capcom can’t even get Dino Crisis into a free mobile game.

Also ETDP posted the current roster. Looks like a few characters are missing at launch and will be added later

Puzzle Fighter Mobile roster:
Chuck Greene
Chun-Li
Dan
E. Honda
Frank West
Ken
Haggar
Ken
M. Bison
Morrigan
Nash
Ryu
X

Durden77

Isn't there a (legal?) way to download games that are launched in other countries than yours through the app store?

vern

I don't know how it is possible that with 20+ years (whatever it's been) of technological improvement they can release a game uglier than the old versions.

I'll buy Puzzle Fighter for a high price on Switch with local joycon multiplayer.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is pretty fun and it looks like they've put some decent effort into the menus and gameplay. Spinning for rewards looks neat.

I don't mind the chibi art as much as others, but I can't see it either so *shrug*

Also menus are laggy as fuck, but yeah I have really old hardware.

EDIT: Blue loot got me SRK for Ryu, neat.

EDIT2: Purple loot gave me a new character: Chun-Li! WOO

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
This is pretty fun and it looks like they've put some decent effort into the menus and gameplay. Spinning for rewards looks neat.

I don't mind the chibi art as much as others, but I can't see it either so *shrug*

Also menus are laggy as fuck, but yeah I have really old hardware.

EDIT: Blue loot got me SRK for Ryu, neat.

EDIT2: Purple loot gave me a new character: Chun-Li! WOO

what are the f2p mechanics?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
By the looks of it, you get Chun-Li and Frank West by going through the tutorial.

EDIT: ... How do I level up a character once the tutorial is finished?
I got Chuck Greene instead of Frank West.

Also got gold/orange loot and it gave me a ton of skill ups for Chun-Li.

EDIT: Click the middle button on the home screen to access your characters, then tap the character on your team and level them up with coins.

Strings

I got Chuck Greene instead of Frank West.

Also got gold/orange loot and it gave me a ton of skill ups for Chun-Li.

EDIT: Click the middle button on the home screen to access your characters, then tap the character on your team and level them up with coins.

Not sure how I missed that o_O Thanks!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
what are the f2p mechanics?

Seems like you can buy coins which are the main currency for upgrading your character, and gems which you can buy chests (loot boxes) with.

3 missions/challenges per day that can reward you coins (on top of coins you get for winning matches)

There's also seasons where you can win season-exclusive rewards? And match requesting.

Seems like a lot of effort has been put into this UI. There's a button just to view animations of specials and supers in the upgrade menu.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Seems like you can buy coins which are the main currency for upgrading your character, and gems which you can buy chests (loot boxes) with.

3 missions/challenges per day that can reward you coins (on top of coins you get for winning matches)

There's also seasons where you can win season-exclusive rewards? And match requesting.

Seems like a lot of effort has been put into this UI. There's a button just to view animations of specials and supers in the upgrade menu.

upgraded characters make it easier to win, i take it?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
upgraded characters make it easier to win, i take it?
I think so but I'm not sure if you have to unlock the next level of specials or w/e before you can spend money on improving them.

You can buy an (extremely) limited selection of those specials cards in the shop, though.

But yeah, edging closer to P2W than not.

Doesn't seem like there's AI battle options either? Maybe I missed something?

Strings

Doesn't seem like there's AI battle options either? Maybe I missed something?

You mean the missions? Beat 1 opponent, beat 3, etc. The ones you have to buy more of if you want to do more than one a day.

EDIT: You unlock support characters at 5 PvP matches completed.

Not sure if I'm a fan of an actual HP bar. Seems to encourage rapid chipping away of health over building massive block chains. Still, it's Puzzle Fighter with an online mode, so it's still fun as hell. The currency and leveling system don't seem too bad either. 3D chibis are growing on me.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don’t understand the point of soft launch in digital games. Especially when this isn’t even hyped or popular.
It's to test monetization mechanics and prices before everyone sees the game, so that you can change them more easily.

ggx2ac

I've tried out the game, played 5 matches to unlock being able to use a support character but... It was the last match I played that made me think it's not for me.

So the difference between this and the old game Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo is that there is a health bar. The gameplay feels like a war of attrition, I didn't beat others by making their screen fill up with gems, I had to do combos to do damage to their health which included building up a super to deal a lot of damage because it definitely feels like making the enemies health drain to zero is the main way to win.

Only reason I got put off in the last match was that it's obvious the pay2win mechanics mean getting stronger characters who deal more damage and have more health, although that wasn't exactly what happened for me, what happened is that I still have to play online matches to unlock being able to use up to three characters in a team. My team was solo, I fought someone that had three characters in a team, I lost easily because the opponent's team had a shit load of health and was able to do three times as many attacks.

Obviously I just need to get to using 3 characters in a team to balance it out, but the point is. Because this game relies on health bars and skill cards and levels, it means that the gacha mechanics revolve around making very strong characters.

So what I'm getting at is that I like action puzzle games, but this isn't for me unfortunately because the game isn't completely skill based. You still have to have some skill but the main draw of this game is building strong characters with your money to deal damage with to drain the opponent's health.

That may be appealing to some but yeah, I like puzzle games because of the challenge they provide from your skills. RPG mechanics are fine (thinking of Puzzle Quest although that's turn based) but I really can't invest spending money on more than one gacha game at a time.

Durden77

Can someone share the link to the play store page of the game in a country where it's available? I think i can manage to download it in the US if I can get that.

Top Bottom