• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN's version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Carnby

I am seriously considering purchasing the PSN version of SOTN, but I need verification that this game is not missing content like the Xbox Live version (FMV), nor any other issues that I should be aware of. Can anyone confirm this?

I am seriously considering purchasing the PSN version of SOTN, but I need verification that this game is not missing content like the Xbox Live version (FMV), nor any other issues that I should be aware of. Can anyone confirm this?

IIRC, aren't PSN versions of PSX games just ISO dumps?

Syril

It's a PSOne Classic, right? It should be exactly the same as the original. Unless my memory is really failing me, I'm pretty sure you can even use the same save file if you had played it off the disc previously.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The PSN version is the exact same game as the PS1 version.

No changes or alterations.

The Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles PSP version of SOTN has the updated voice work, playable Maria, and an additional familiar, if memory serves.

I have all of those versions of SOTN (PS1, PSN, and PSP)

Aru

I haven't tried it but I'm 99% sure that it's totally identical to the PS1 CD release.
All PSOne classics are, as far as I know.
The PS1 version is the first version of the game, so it will only miss what have been added to other releases.

it's a direct copy of the ps1 game running on an emulator, for better or worse.

Into

Identical in every way to the PS1 version, it is basically the .iso file straight up.

Get the game, its one of the greatest games of all time

Jamix012

Are you going to be playing it exclusively on a PSP/Vita? If so you MIGHT want to consider the alternative PSP port, which I consider better value for money.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That's what I am worried about. Emulation sometimes make sound effects or music sound slightly off. Please tell me the music is 100 accurate!
The music in SoTN is pre-recorded digital audio so it sounds exactly the same.

Carnby

You have all convinced me to buy it. I would rather buy a digital version that pull my pristine copy out from storage and risk having my 18 month old son find it. hehe.

I also just got a 5.1 surround sound home theater and I am itching to hear classics like Requiem for the Gods and The Tragic Prince.

RedSwirl

You have all convinced me to buy it. I would rather buy a digital version that pull my pristine copy out from storage and risk having my 18 month old son find it. hehe.

I also just got a 5.1 surround sound home theater and I am itching to hear classics like Requiem for the Gods and The Tragic Prince.

If you have a physical copy, then even the save file should be inter-compatible with the PSN version.

Carnby

I thought all of them were missing? Granted, there's only a couple, but I don't remember them being there at all.

The introduction of the upside down "true" castle, for example. Pretty important to the plot.

Also missing
the castle exploding
when you beat the game.

Aren't there only about 90 seconds total of FMV in the game? A short one at the beginning and one at the midpoint, and maybe one at the end.

Aru

Are you going to be playing it exclusively on a PSP/Vita? If so you MIGHT want to consider the alternative PSP port, which I consider better value for money.

Dracula X Chronicles is a great game, but the SOTN port included in it is flawed. While it has a new translation, new voice actors and some additional content, it also suffers from slowdowns in some locations. And huge slowdowns, I mean. Maybe the game runs better on Vita, making it the best version of the game if those slowdowns are "fixed".

Ferr986

I wonder why Konami didnt add the aditional content of the Saturn version on the XBLA or PSP versions? Especially on XBLA where you can sell it as DLC..

Frolow

Banned
The PSN version is the exact same game as the PS1 version.

No changes or alterations.

The Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles PSP version of SOTN has the updated voice work, playable Maria, and an additional familiar, if memory serves.

I have all of those versions of SOTN (PS1, PSN, and PSP)

Does the PSP version include the Saturn-exclusive areas, or are those still removed?

Recall

I wonder why Konami didnt add the aditional content of the Saturn version on the XBLA or PSP versions? Especially on XBLA where you can sell it as DLC..

To put Maria in would mean having to use the Saturn version of SOTN as their source, right? (I'm not sure how it all works) And the Saturn version is generally considered poor due to it not being able to handle dust clouds, fog and rain without causing crippling frame rate drops. As far as I'm aware Maria was not apart of the original PS1 version, which the XBLA version is based off of.

To put Maria in would mean having to use the Saturn version of SOTN as their source. And the Saturn version is generally considered poor due to it not being able to handle dust clouds, fog and rain without causing crippling frame rate drops.

As far as I'm aware Maria was not apart of the original PS1 version, which the XBLA version is based off of.

Didn't Iga hate those areas, anyway, as they weren't part of his plan for the game? Isn't the Japanese PS1 version said to be the best and truest? Or am I remembering incorrectly?

Ferr986

To put Maria in would mean having to use the Saturn version of SOTN as their source, right? (I'm not sure how it all works) And the Saturn version is generally considered poor due to it not being able to handle dust clouds, fog and rain without causing crippling frame rate drops. As far as I'm aware Maria was not apart of the original PS1 version, which the XBLA version is based off of.

yeah but is not like tha XBLA is just an ISO rip of the PSX ver. like on PSN, I though they could modify things (maybe Im mistaken).

I dont really care about Maria, but it would be nice to have those extra stages (even if they werent that good).

A Playable Maria is present in the PSP version, but she was significantly retooled from the Saturn version.

Still very fun to play, and the slowdown is only bad in one location (the large open space in Olrox's quarters), It may be present in other locations, but that is the only one that sticks out to me. If I remember correctly, that location slows down in the PS1 version as well.

Just grab a Saturn and get this...

other-consoles-38744-11318708659.jpg

Carnby

According to wiki,

"I understand why fans who've never played the Saturn version would be interested in those features, but I really, really don't feel good about them. I couldn't put my name on that stuff and present it to Castlevania fans." – Koji Igarashi, June 2007, on the Saturn port

VARIA

The Saturn version is graphically inferior to the PSOne version. There's also loading just to bring up the map.

Ferr986

"I understand why fans who've never played the Saturn version would be interested in those features, but I really, really don't feel good about them. I couldn't put my name on that stuff and present it to Castlevania fans." – Koji Igarashi, June 2007, on the Saturn port

Oh, didnt know that, thanks for the heads up.

Were the extra levels THAT bad?

Carnby

Just grab a Saturn and get this...

other-consoles-38744-11318708659.jpg

This version doesn't sound that good.

Unfortunately, due to poor coding, there are more and longer load times in the Saturn version. Since the Saturn has limited hardware transparency support, transparency effects, such as the mists and the waterfall, were replaced with dithering effects. Also, rather than take advantage of the Saturn's increased resolution, the graphics are stretched to fill the screen, which causes some sprites to be distorted. The overall quality is said to be lower than the PlayStation version due to it being a simple port handled by another team, and not being recoded to take advantage of the Saturn's technically superior 2D capabilities. Igarashi has expressed his disdain for the Sega Saturn version.

Riddy

Keep in mind if you do go with Dracula X Chronicles, you won't be able to customize the screen. You'll be stuck playing it on a tiny space in the middle. They add a nice border to make it more visually appealing but I rather buy the original and play it in "Normal" setting.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

Unless you're in the EU, we don't have Dracula X Chronicles here, and only got SotN 2 months ago.

gryz

Banned

psp version "fixes" the awesome voice acting, no thanks

DARK METAMORPHOSIS

Ferr986

They were. They added nothing to the game at all and they weren't well designed.

It's a couple of extra hallways and some new familiars. I'm not exactly sure why Iga is so bent out of shape.

I see, thanks guys. I still think they couldnt hurt, but I can understand it if the creator really thinks it hurts his creation (even if I dont agree)

i have the psp and psn versions. but what's this i'm hearing about the xbl version missing stuff?

Just a couple of short FMVs

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
It's a couple of extra hallways and some new familiars. I'm not exactly sure why Iga is so bent out of shape.

You basically just invalidated your own suggestion. If that's all the extra content, then purchasing a Saturn just for the port is clearly not worth it.

Top Bottom