• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10nm Intel Ice Lake Review: Core i7-1065G7 vs. Ryzen 7 3700U

Leonidas

Interesting stuff.
This is a new architecture from Intel on their 10nm process which is comparable to TSMC 7nm (which AMD uses for Zen 2).

While the Ryzen 3700U system offered good performance in certain categories, the Ice Lake-based system was significantly faster in most benchmarks.
Gen11 Iris Plus graphics hold their own against AMD’s reputation as the APU graphics leader.

A few takeaways
+Ice Lake Core i7-1065G7 beats Ryzen 7 3700U in both single and multi-thread
+Ice Lake performs better while using less power
+Ice Lake IPC gains means much better performance than competition despite lower advertised clocks
+Gen 11 Iris Plus competes with AMD APU graphics
+Gen 11 Iris Plus supports next-gen graphics features like Integer Scaling and VRS, which was previously only found on Nvidia Turing GPUs

xps-13-2-in-1-thinkpad-t495-3.jpg

Ice Lake performs better than the competition despite it's more svelte appearance.

Good show from Intel for having industry leading IPC, performance and power efficiency.

Quixz

RYZEN 3000 IN NAME ONLY
"Before we get to the results, we wanted to clarify that while the 3700U is using AMD’s latest mobile platform, it doesn’t offer the features or performance you may have seen in recent Ryzen desktop and server launches. Despite its “3000-series” branding, Ryzen 3000 for mobile is based on AMD’s Zen+ architecture, and was released at the beginning of this year. Ryzen 3000 for desktop is based on the new Zen 2 architecture, which won’t hit mobile until next year."

:messenger_winking:

Too little too late from floptel.
lol wut. Intel, every generation, beats AMD in performance. This is their first 10nm processor and it’s spanking AMD at 7nm and will continue to do so. Zen 2 is a great step in the right direction for AMD, however, how long does everyone really think AMD would hold that crown until Intel answers. Intel had some mediocre generations, but they still beat their competitor up until this point. Funny thing is, AMD has always required more cores and more power to beat intel. This leads me to believe that AMD is far less efficient and requires brute force to beat their competitor which doesn’t make their situation better.

At what price difference?
Here’s the thing though, I could have a PC that is decent at gaming and most other tasks or I can have a PC that’s decent at everything.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

lol wut. Intel, every generation, beats AMD in performance. This is their first 10nm processor and it’s spanking AMD at 7nm and will continue to do so. Zen 2 is a great step in the right direction for AMD, however, how long does everyone really think AMD would hold that crown until Intel answers. Intel had some mediocre generations, but they still beat their competitor up until this point. Funny thing is, AMD has always required more cores and more power to beat intel. This leads me to believe that AMD is far less efficient and requires brute force to beat their competitor which doesn’t make their situation better.

Here’s the thing though, I could have a PC that is decent at gaming and most other tasks or I can have a PC that’s decent at everything.
WTF kind of answer is that? I asked for numbers not for opinions or philosophies.

WTF kind of answer is that? I asked for numbers not for opinions or philosophies.
Did you read the article? No sense in asking everyone when you can find the answer yourself. But since you're feeling a bit edgy and lazy, I'll bring you this far:

Ryzen

Intel

Keep in mind that the Thinkpad is a "starting at" price and the Dell actually folds into a tablet which will make it cost more. Either way it's not really apples to apples here. You also cannot purchase these processors separately as they are laptop processors. So comparing them really doesn't feel right since they are two different form factors. The intel package is a lit nicer however and looks like a premium product.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Be aware that the Ryzen CPU being compared is based on the previous architecture and not the new 7nm architecture, despite being labeled as a 3000 series CPU, which is misleading.

Intel is expected to wipe the floor with their new 10nm CPUs compared to AMDs 14 or 12nm CPUs.

I’m not in the market for a new laptop so I can’t say if AMD wins the bang for buck argument.

Last edited:

llien

3700u is a 12nm CPU.

It is quite close to raw CPU perf to what Intel is, and normally wipes the floor with it on graphics department.

The main problem with AMD notebooks is not getting into premium models, not the hardware. But things are changing:
Lenove E495, E595, HP Envy X360 13" to name a couple.

Comparing notebooks from different manufacturers can lead to misleading results.
A typical trick is to pick designs with different TDP. Both AMD's and Intel's chip can be configured to hover at 25W.

Compared notebooks with given CPUs start at:
Intel: $1,749.99
AMD: $1210.00

Last edited:

Banned
Probably more than AMD paid you to ask the question...:messenger_winking:

Pretty sure they won't be stupid enough to spend their money for someone to only just commenting on these topics 😊

also...did intel fix this security flaw already or these new 10nm cpu safe from that vulnerability?

*link edited*

Last edited:

DESTROYA

In terms of worthwile igpu's, intel absolutely do not dominate anything beyond sales. Just wait until zen 2 comes to laptops.
Yeah sure, we’ve been hearing that for years, while we do see some AMD options they are usually gimped out of the box with single channel RAM or the TDP is set so low you can’t get full performance.
Until laptop makers utilize the full potential of AMD APU’s I’ll be watching but don’t have my hopes up.
If your going to dominate anything sales would be my number one priority , Intel and these 10nm Ice Lake CPU’s show a huge improvement graphically over last gen.

LordOfChaos

I have no question that Ice Lake is architecturally superior, best x86 IPC* bar none. It's just the 10nm node flubs that are kneecapping it, relegating it to these low wattage environments for now. If it ramps up in production economically in the next year, it'll do great. That's a big IF though, as right now Ice Lake is only shipping to a few laptop vendors in high cost, presumably lower volume products, i.e the XPS 13 2 in 1 gets ICL but the regular 13 is on 14nm Comet Lake. AMD won't be idle, nor will TSMC.

*Interestingly, not best IPC overall though...

EA7fMZJXkAEvm1Z

Last edited:
Sometimes it's enough to link review with benchmarks to be branded as AMD hater.
I have a Ryzen in my desktop, and after serious consideration I had to go Intel for my laptop because I wanted something thin with a decent battery life and good performance.

The OP does not mention the price premium, and maybe some other caveats, but it's close enough.

llien

And? It's the current gen for AMD laptops.
And despite process node advantage, we have comparable CPU, with AMD notebooks, traditionally, being good $500 cheaper.

I have a Ryzen in my desktop, and after serious consideration I had to go Intel for my laptop because I wanted something thin with a decent battery life and good performance.
3xxxu series by AMD, while on 12nm, still offer very decent power efficiency and GPU power only matched by the most expensive Intel chips.

Last edited:
AMD really needs to stop doing rebadging on CPU's. It's bad enough when they rebadge old generations of Radeon with new numbers, but this is really deceptive. The Ryzen 3000 APU's on both desktop and laptop are 14nm Zen+ instead of the new 7nm Zen 2 architecture which is so great on desktops. What exactly is the point of pretending otherwise?

What AMD hopes to accomplish by over-promising and under-delivering, which is pretty much their entire marketing shtick, is very unclear. Normal marketing is about under-promising and over-delivering, which is why Nvidia always understates their boost clocks on their GPU's and people get excited because their new video card says 1700mhz boost and it actually does 2000mhz, even though Nvidia secretly knows they can all do 2000mhz. Meanwhile AMD promises 4.6ghz on Ryzen 9 3900X and only 5.6% of those chips can actually reach that clock.

Learn to stop being shit at marketing, AMD. Also stop lying all the time, you just settled a lawsuit about how you lied that Bulldozer was a true 8-core CPU and now you're already trying to figure out how to avoid a lawsuit about how 3900X is a supposedly 4.6ghz CPU. But expecting AMD to learn is something anyone who has followed AMD ever knows is probably a fool's errand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom