• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 officers accused of severely beating man in Philadelphia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzom21

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/0...arged-with-knocking-man-off-scooter-severely/

PHILADELPHIA – Two city police officers were arrested Thursday and accused of knocking a man off a scooter and beating him so severely that another officer thought he had been shot.

Officers Sean McKnight, 30, and Kevin Robinson, 26, were immediately suspended for 30 days and will likely be fired, Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey said. The pair had been off the street while a grand jury investigated.

Ramsey said the officers acted improperly and in total violation of department training.

"No one, not even police officers, is above the law," District Attorney Seth Williams said as a video screen showed Najee Rivera's beaten, swollen face.

The officers lied to their colleagues and superiors about the May 2013 encounter in North Philadelphia by casting Rivera as the antagonist and charging him with aggravated assault and resisting arrest, Ramsey and Williams said.

After Rivera's arrest, his girlfriend went to the area and found surveillance footage of his encounter with the officers. The video shows the officers slamming him against a wall and beating him on the ground, said Rivera's attorney Leo Flynn.

"He's aware of what happens to people who don't comply. He was complying," Flynn said. "He wasn't offering anything except screams for his life when he was being beaten."

Robinson's attorney, Fortunato Perri Jr., said Rivera fled and refused commands to show his hands. "Once he's under control, there's no further physical" confrontation, Perri said.

McKnight's attorney, Brian McMonagle, said in a statement that McKnight is a "good cop" who risks his life and said suspects create risks when they flee police.

Rivera suffered a broken orbital bone and several lacerations to his head, the prosecutor said. "Another officer arrived on the scene and thought that Mr. Rivera had been shot because there was so much blood on the ground," Williams said.

Video of the beating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFCxlJB7Zg4
DA Press conference: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...-Beat-McKnight-Robinson-Rivera-290938931.html

The two "good cops"
iNz2VTIbEgORS.jpg
The victim

"Good cop" huh.

They probably would have gotten away with it, if not for that pesky video.

No Love

Banned
Lock these pigs up and throw away the key. They aren't fit to serve or even be allowed in society. They should be charged harsher than any regular citizen. Good on the DA for being so hard on these fucking losers.

DedValve

Banned
Before entering this thread: "is he -- oh who am I kidding of course he is."
Enters thread and sees victim: *sigh*

Good on the girlfriend to get that footage because they would have easily gotten away with it otherwise. I'm sure someone will argue "don't flee if you don't want to be beat within an inch of your life"

Fired? Dudes need to be sent to jail for assault charges. If any civilian did that to another civilian they'd be in jail.

I live in Philly. It's a hard pill to swallow when you see news articles like this pop up. Hits closer to home than you think.

It really bugs me that it happened on May. Of freaking 2013.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I wish someone sold the industrial strength bubble these cops operate in so I can block out the bullshit my wife says from time to time

They are definitely more than a few cards short of a full deck.

No Love

Banned
Good on the girlfriend to get that footage because they would have easily gotten away with it otherwise.

Fired? Dudes need to be sent to jail for assault charges. If any civilian did that to another civilian they'd be in jail.

Actually, they're getting what they deserve:

McKnight, a seven-year police veteran, and Robinson, a six-year veteran, were charged with aggravated assault, criminal conspiracy, reckless endangerment, lying to authorities, falsifying records and obstructing justice.

SamVimes

I don't know if it's the angry faces but they look exactly the sort of people that would do something like this.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
i dont see the issue here so long as he kept his dignity

esms

A lot of the beat cops we have in this city are scum, through and through. Can't wait til body cameras are mandatory for all officers, not just the ones in specific neighborhoods in North Philly.

darscot

I can't believe they hit him with their car. I understand you steer people off the road when they are in a car but using a car on a scooter or bike seems a bit much. They could have easily run him over and killed him. Then to beat him after is just insane.

UberTag

Wow, the cops will actually take the heat for their unprovoked racially-charged assault and "likely" lose their jobs.
How very unusual. This is considered forward progress, right?

For those wondering, the Chief of Police here, Ramsey, has been decent at dealing with these. I remember when a cop freaking dropped a lady with an uppercut at the Puerto Rican Day parade because she allegedly spread silly string on him.

He was able to dodge going to jail for a long time thanks to a judge, but when he tried to get his job back with the help of the union, Ramsey told him to go pound sand, IIRC. He also likely got absolutely buried in a civil suit.

Tldr; When he says intent to dismiss, he means their careers in law enforcement are over, at least in this town.

Chariot

Wow, the cops will actually take the heat for their unprovoked racially-charged assault and "likely" lose their jobs.
How very unusual. This is considered forward progress, right?
I am wondering about that too. The official response sounds actually reasonable.
For those wondering, the Chief of Police here, Ramsey, has been decent at dealing with these. I remember when a cop freaking dropped a lady with an uppercut at the Puerto Rican Day parade because she allegedly spread silly string on him.

He was able to dodge going to jail for a long time thanks to a judge, but when he tried to get his job back with the help of the union, Ramsey told him to go pound sand, IIRC. He also likely got absolutely buried in a civil suit.

Tldr; When he says intent to dismiss, he means their careers in law enforcement are over, at least in this town.
Nice. The States need more of him.

I know there are good cops out there...

...I just wonder why they get so quiet when shit like this happens. Shouldn't police unions want garbage like this out of their ranks JUST as much as the public.

I mean the only organization that supports their bros right or wrong are gangs!

esms

I've been very pleased with Ramsey. He keeps good cops on the job and tells the others to fuck off.

If you had read the article....

Not the same as going to jail by a long shot. Cops get a LOT of latitude (deserved or not) behind their ability to assess risk and what constitutes a reasonable justification for arrest and use of force and as a result never see jail time when found negligent or abusive. The guys who out and killed Michael Brown and Eric Garner had the charges dropped.

Damaniel

Banned
Good that these guys will pay.

Police brutality must be stopped.

They'll almost certainly be acquitted, take their free paid vacation, then be back on the force as if nothing ever happened. Cops *never* pay for their crimes.

Not the same as going to jail by a long shot. Cops get a LOT of latitude (deserved or not) behind their ability to assess risk and what constitutes a reasonable justification for arrest and use of force and as a result never see jail time when found negligent or abusive. The guys who out and killed Michael Brown and Eric Garner had the charges dropped.

The trial hasn't happened yet, and the Brown and Garner cases were brought to a grand jury to determine if charges should be filed.

In this case, the grand jury decided that charges should be filed, and now they will proceed to an actual jury-trial to determine guilt of the charges filed, followed by jail.

Not really the same scenario.

Chariot

They'll almost certainly be acquitted, take their free paid vacation, then be back on the force as if nothing ever happened. Cops *never* pay for their crimes.
How about doing some reading? BronsonLee also gave some interesting additional information about the man in charge. Don't cry all over the place when this is a rare case where the policemen actually get what they deserve.

MJPIA

Yeah I was reading about this last night.
Disgusting.
Can't find the article but IIRC one of them said this particular pair of cops have been accused of using excessive violence during arrests thrown at them before but until now there has been no video proof.
Now there is.
Also I believe the article said internal affairs will be going through cases these two have worked on to see if they have done stuff like this before.

[E] found it.
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20150206_Two_more_Philly_cops_face_charges.html

The department may now review whether it should further investigate arrests that result in injuries, he said.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/2...ly_cops_face_charges.html#kuXGpgyth003Cvce.99

In 2012, Robinson was named a defendant in a lawsuit that alleged he had beaten Darren Trammell, 28, during a trumped-up arrest. Trammell suffered a fractured orbital bone, lacerations, and other injuries, the suit said.

A day after his arrest, Tramell reported the incident to Internal Affairs, which cleared Robinson.

Tramell was eventually cleared of the criminal charges against him. The city settled the case in December for $125,000, according to his lawyer, Andrew D. Swain.

Public Defender Bradley S. Bridge said that because of the criminal charges against Robinson and McKnight, his office will begin reviewing the arrests they made in the past.

Enzom21

I know there are good cops out there...

...I just wonder why they get so quiet when shit like this happens. Shouldn't police unions want garbage like this out of their ranks JUST as much as the public.

I mean the only organization that supports their bros right or wrong are gangs!

They cease being good cops when they support or stay quiet about cops like this. If there wasn't video of this then Rivera would have been the one charged, and would have been just another day for these "good cops".

The trial hasn't happened yet, and the Brown and Garner cases were brought to a grand jury to determine if charges should be filed.

In this case, the grand jury decided that charges should be filed, and now they will proceed to an actual jury-trial to determine guilt of the charges filed, followed by jail.

Not really the same scenario.

What we're comparing is faith in a process, not the existence of a possibility. If I state 'these guys won't see jail' in the context of 'look what happened to the cops in the Garner/Brown cases' it's based on the former, not the latter. That charges were brought and I don't weaken my stance, it's probably indicative of how deep my cynicism has set, not my failure to understand that there's a chance.gif

Wow, that's disgusting.

The audio on the video was straight up impossible for me to listen to.

Sadly they'll probably just get slap on the the wrists.

That guy got his job back and full pay for every day since he was fired. http://6abc.com/archive/9203288/
It says Ramsay was forced to accept him back.

Here's an article that says "About 90 percent of the cops that Commissioner Ramsey has fired have gotten back onto the force. Seventy-five percent of them returned with full benefits and back-pay." http://www.urbanromanceonline.com/power-trip-one-familys-traumatic-tale-of-police-brutality/

He was also in the news as a hero cop since:http://articles.philly.com/2014-07-28/news/52094459_1_josey-fire-department-two-adults

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom