• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 US Tornado Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rokam

Why isn't something like an Amber Alert used for Tornado Warnings? I'm in Ohio and I agree, the sirens are completely ignored even when there IS a warning and if you're not watching the news you're effectively out of the loop.

Meanwhile if a child is abducted/goes missing you get a text on your phone within minutes with the car she was last seen in, the license plate, the description of the child, etc.

They've started implementing this, but I'm not sure it's been released everywhere yet.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Nah, I'm in Ohio. This is Oklahoma, quite a distance away from me.

Speaking of that, what's your take on what we're looking at on Tuesday/Wednesday? TWC has us at a TOR:CON of 3 for those days, but in my experience, those TOR:CON values shift quite often. I don't think it'll be terrible, but I'm still gonna be watching it closely.

Speaking of that, what's your take on what we're looking at on Tuesday/Wednesday? TWC has us at a TOR:CON of 3 for those days, but in my experience, those TOR:CON values shift quite often. I don't think it'll be terrible, but I'm still gonna be watching it closely.

I think it'll be about the same as usual, I hope.

SPC seems to think the worst tomorrow is in the southern Mississippi Valley.

Okie here and watching all this devastation two days in a row is damn heavy. We've been very lucky in Edmond (narrowly avoided us yesterday). My heart goes out to our fellow Okies. Please be safe.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okie here and watching all this devastation two days in a row is damn heavy. We've been very lucky in Edmond (narrowly avoided us yesterday). My heart goes out to our fellow Okies. Please be safe.

My sister and stepmother live in Edmond. They're the biggest reason I've been monitoring the situation in OK lately. Glad Edmond's been okay thus far.

TylerD

I drove north on I-35 through that area just as the rain was getting really heavy and by the time I got to I-40 the tornado emergency was issued. Traffic going southbound on 35 was already really slow.

Absolutely sick to my stomach watching that unfold on TV. 2 major stations (KFOR 4 and KWTV 9) did nothing but focus on the damage as soon as that tornado roped out even with other tornado warnings on going in the viewing area. They have turned weather coverage into reality extreme television.

I drove north on I-35 through that area just as the rain was getting really heavy and by the time I got to I-40 the tornado emergency was issued. Traffic going southbound on 35 was already really slow.

Absolutely sick to my stomach watching that unfold on TV. 2 major stations (KFOR 4 and KWTV 9) did nothing but focus on the damage as soon as that tornado roped out even with other tornado warnings on going in the viewing area. They have turned weather coverage into reality extreme television.

Glad you're OK, Tyler. Have you heard from Gondo? There was a tornado warning down for where he lives after the Moore tornado.

TylerD

Glad you're OK, Tyler. Have you heard from Gondo? There was a tornado warning down for where he lives after the Moore tornado.

I'm sure he is. Being in Pauls Valley when the worst happened and no tornadoes touched down around there. I was paying special attention because that is where my parents and brother live.

All 3 major networks have access to helicopters and we have one station with storm chasers rolling around in these bad ass machines.

901986_487537311301639_1473774881_o.jpg

20991_487425904646113_1396653497_n.jpg

Channel 4 has Reed Timmer chasing from the reality series Storm Chasers chasing for them this year. This one can deploy hooks into the ground and go through the center of tornadoes.

reed-timmer-dominator1-550x309.jpg

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It's kinda crazy out there today. Tornadoes reported in four states, active tornado warnings in three states, geez. Looks like the next couple days are going to be rough, too.

R2D4

Banned
Why isn't something like an Amber Alert used for Tornado Warnings? I'm in Ohio and I agree, the sirens are completely ignored even when there IS a warning and if you're not watching the news you're effectively out of the loop.

Meanwhile if a child is abducted/goes missing you get a text on your phone within minutes with the car she was last seen in, the license plate, the description of the child, etc.

I get Emergency alerts that tell me that there is a warning in my area and to visit the NWS for further instructions. I got 3 this weekend when my area was in a flood warning. I have an iPhone on Verizon.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/faqs/Wireless Service/emergency_alerts_faq.html

Soul Beat

Amarillo, Texas is under a tornado warning right now. Wish me luck.

See you on the other side Gaf.

Edit - Belay that. Came close to touching down but thankfully went back up.

KingGondo

Banned
National Weather Service and local meteorologists sounding the alarm for really nasty weather in the OKC metro today. If you can get home before 4 PM that would be a good idea.

Stay weather-aware, Okie-GAF.

TylerD

National Weather Service and local meteorologists sounding the alarm for really nasty weather in the OKC metro today. If you can get home before 4 PM that would be a good idea.

Working from home and ready and wouldn't be surprised if my office got let out early today. We had 3 people lose homes/vehicles May 20th.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck. Working till 5:30 but between OKC and Tulsa.

Eurghhhh....

KingGondo

Banned
Working from home and ready and wouldn't be surprised if my office got let out early today. We had 3 people lose homes/vehicles May 20th.
That's terrible. :( Nobody was hurt though?

I'll be leaving work in 30 mins or so. Looking forward to another fun evening of radar-watching and getting annoyed my the local weather hype machine.

Exciting times in Tulsa.

Something kinda funny happened yesterday, but I am not sure it is my story. Perhaps the involved party will post their impressions when time allows.

Butane123

I guess that's the upside to all these storms... Leaving pretty soon.

TylerD

That's terrible. :( Nobody was hurt though?

I'll be leaving work in 30 mins or so. Looking forward to another fun evening of radar-watching and getting annoyed my the local weather hype machine.

Ahh, so you have the same plans as I do!

No one hurt, thankfully and the outpouring of donations and support are heartwarming.

PDS issued....

ww0262_radar.gif

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
TORNADO WATCH NUMBER 262
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
330 PM CDT FRI MAY 31 2013

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF
CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST OKLAHOMA

* EFFECTIVE THIS FRIDAY AFTERNOON FROM 330 PM UNTIL MIDNIGHT CDT.

...THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION...

* PRIMARY THREATS INCLUDE...
SEVERAL INTENSE TORNADOES LIKELY
NUMEROUS VERY LARGE HAIL EVENTS TO 4 INCHES IN DIAMETER LIKELY
NUMEROUS DAMAGING WIND GUSTS LIKELY WITH SEVERAL SIGNIFICANT
GUSTS TO 80 MPH POSSIBLE

THE TORNADO WATCH AREA IS APPROXIMATELY ALONG AND 65 STATUTE
MILES EAST AND WEST OF A LINE FROM 20 MILES WEST NORTHWEST OF
BARTLESVILLE OKLAHOMA TO 30 MILES EAST OF WICHITA FALLS TEXAS.
FOR A COMPLETE DEPICTION OF THE WATCH SEE THE ASSOCIATED WATCH
OUTLINE UPDATE (WOUS64 KWNS WOU2).

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

REMEMBER...A TORNADO WATCH MEANS CONDITIONS ARE FAVORABLE FOR
TORNADOES AND SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS IN AND CLOSE TO THE WATCH
AREA. PERSONS IN THESE AREAS SHOULD BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR
THREATENING WEATHER CONDITIONS AND LISTEN FOR LATER STATEMENTS
AND POSSIBLE WARNINGS.

&&

OTHER WATCH INFORMATION...CONTINUE...WW 260...WW 261...

DISCUSSION...AN EXTREMELY UNSTABLE AIR MASS HAS DEVELOPED ACROSS
MUCH OF CENTRAL/EASTERN OK THIS AFTERNOON. THIS WILL LIKELY RESULT
IN RAPID DEVELOPMENT OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS THIS AFTERNOON AND
EVENING ALONG THE DRYLINE OVER WEST-CENTRAL OK...AND ALONG A WEAK
BOUNDARY EXTENDING NORTHEASTWARD INTO NORTHEAST OK. DISCRETE
SUPERCELLS CAPABLE OF EXTREMELY LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING TORNADOES
ARE POSSIBLE. DAMAGING WINDS WILL BECOME AN INCREASING THREAT
THROUGH THE EVENING.

AVIATION...TORNADOES AND A FEW SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH HAIL
SURFACE AND ALOFT TO 4 INCHES. EXTREME TURBULENCE AND SURFACE
WIND GUSTS TO 70 KNOTS. A FEW CUMULONIMBI WITH MAXIMUM TOPS TO
600. MEAN STORM MOTION VECTOR 26025.

...HART

TylerD

KFOR and KWTV are showing live streams of cumulus towers...

They are really champing at the bit. There must be a lot of interference today, the only station I can pick up very well with my OTA HD antenna is 4.

That means lots of Mike Morgan and his severe weather sparkly ties. Actually, this exact tie lol.

KingGondo

Banned
KFOR and KWTV are showing live streams of cumulus towers...

They are really champing at the bit. There must be a lot of interference today, the only station I can pick up very well with my OTA HD antenna is 4.
It's honestly a little grating how excited the meteorologists get about storms that could kill people.

Channel 5 has been the best IMO. Matter-of-fact and not as sensational as the others.

TylerD

It's honestly a little grating how excited the meteorologists get about storms that could kill people.

Channel 5 has been the best IMO. Matter-of-fact and not as sensational as the others.

Yes, 5 is still the cool-headed alternative and I have to switch to them every once in a while to maintain sanity. I do like to see great video and the cams that 4 and 9 have on the choppers as well as the streaming equipment are superior.

Seanspeed

Banned
Understandable, but for people who study weather for a living, this kind of thing is terribly exciting. I can see both sides cuz I find really severe weather pretty fascinating myself. Its difficult because while it can be tragic to see tornados and hurricanes and whatnot cause such destruction, the sense of curiosity and awe of the power thats involved is hard to overcome.

Its the exaggerated and misleading claims that annoy me most.

TylerD

Reed Timmer in Dominator has gas and gas station burritos so he is fueled up and ready to go.

He is also a scientist and a doctor. Did I mention he is a scientist? A GD scientist man!

edit: Things are starting to pick up. Lots of storms firing and developing quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom