• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 IGF Main Competition Finalists Announced

Zia

Excellence In Visual Art

DEVICE 6 (Simogo)
Gorogoa (Jason Roberts)
The Banner Saga (Stoic)
Perfect Stride (Arcane Kids)
Samorost3 (Amanita Design)
Drei (Etter)

Honorable mentions: Shelter (Might & Delight); Galak-Z (17-BIT); The Swapper (Facepalm Games); The Yawhg (Damian Sommer & Emily Carroll); Don't Starve (Klei Entertainment)

Excellence In Narrative

The Yawhg (Damian Sommer & Emily Carroll)
Paralect (Paralect Team)
DEVICE 6 (Simogo)
Dominique Pamplemousse in "It's All Over Once the Fat Lady Sings!" (Deirdra Kiai Productions)
The Stanley Parable (Galactic Cafe)
Papers, Please (Lucas Pope)

Honorable mentions: Quadrilateral Cowboy (Blendo Games); Gorogoa (Jason Roberts); Redshirt (The Tiniest Shark); Detective Grimoire (SFB Games); Monster Loves You (Radial Games Corp. & Dejobaan Games, LLC.)

Excellence In Design

TowerFall Ascension (Matt Thorson)
868-HACK (Michael Brough)
Mushroom 11 (Untame)
Don't Starve (Klei Entertainment)
Crypt of the NecroDancer (Brace Yourself Games)

Honorable mentions: The Banner Saga (Stoic); Perfect Stride (Arcane Kids); Threes (Asher Vollmer, Greg Wohlwend & Jimmy Hinson); DEVICE 6 (Simogo); Gorogoa (Jason Roberts)

Excellence In Audio

Samorost3 (Amanita Design)
Dominique Pamplemousse in "It's All Over Once the Fat Lady Sings!" (Deirdra Kiai Productions)
Crypt of the NecroDancer (Brace Yourself Games)
DEVICE 6 (Simogo)
The Yawhg (Damian Sommer & Emily Carroll)

Honorable mentions: Sokobond (Alan Hazelden, Harry Lee & Ryan Roth); The Banner Saga (Stoic); Potatoman Seeks the Troof (Pixeljam); Jazzpunk (Necrophone Games); Don't Starve (Klei Entertainment)

Nuovo Award

Luxuria Superbia (Tale of Tales)
Extrasolar (Lazy 8 Studios)
Perfect Woman (Peter Lu and Lea Schonfelder)
SoundSelf (Robin Arnott)
Save the Date (Paper Dino Software)
Corrypt (Michael Brough)

Honorable mentions: Shelter (Might & Delight); DEVICE 6 (Simogo); Elegy for a Dead World (Dejobaan Games with Popcannibal); SUPERHOT (SUPERHOT Team); 18 Cadence (Aaron A. Reed)

Seumas McNally Grand Prize

Don't Starve (Klei Entertainment)
Jazzpunk (Necrophone Games)
DEVICE 6 (Simogo)

Honorable mentions: Crypt of the NecroDancer (Brace Yourself Games); TowerFall Ascension (Matt Thorson); Kerbal Space Program (Squad); 868-HACK (Michael Brough); The Yawhg (Damian Sommer & Emily Carroll)

Zia

Overall, I think it was the most successful year yet. So many incredible entrants and, as such, there are probably a few things that got overlooked. Almost everything I nominated showed up as a finalist or honorable mention, so that pleases me greatly.

A few vague comments: I think Sokobond deserved a design nom, The Banner Saga is incredibly beautiful and yes, Jazzpunk is really that cool.

Really surprised that the Swapper only got an honourable mention. Samorost3 seems so distant I could've seen it winning next year rather than this year.

Can't wait for Device6 and Towerfall to come to other platforms.

Arcane Kids looks fun, not quite what I expected from a skateboarding game. Drei reminds me of Transformice in some weird way. Looks fun.

Is Jazzpunk any good or just a cute trailer?

Zia

Really surprised that the Swapper only got an honourable mention. Samorost3 seems so distant I could've seen it winning next year rather than this year.

Can't wait for Device6 and Towerfall to come to other platforms.

Arcane Kids looks fun, not quite what I expected from a skateboarding game. Drei reminds me of Transformice in some weird way. Looks fun.

Is Jazzpunk any good or just a cute trailer?

Simogo has said that Device 6 isn't coming to other platforms. It's pretty explicitly designed for iDevices, and they seem uninterested in Android so I don't think they'll have a change of heart.

And yeah, Jazzpunk is good. I've only played a portion of it, but it's like a slapstick Gravity Bone / Thirty Flights with more interactivity and some light puzzle solving.

Top Bottom