• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread feels so empty without this guy:

Olympic%2BMedia%2BSummit%2BDay%2B2%2BYNsYcsErRf2l.jpg

Olympic%2BMedia%2BSummit%2BDay%2B2%2BHup4hyRtriDl.jpg

[A]merica!

Fuck this clown.

yuraya

My predictions

Gold - Russia
Silver - Canada
Bronze - Finland

I think Russians got this easy if Malkin and Ovechkin show up. Especially Malkin who had like 11 goals in 10 games in the 2012 championships. He was unstoppable.

Solo

My only prediction is that there will be one big upset before the medal games. One of Canada, US, or Sweden will be ousted without even a shot at bronze.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I think Russians got this easy if Malkin and Ovechkin show up. Especially Malkin who had like 11 goals in 10 games in the 2012 championships. He was unstoppable.
There's a huge difference between the World Championships and the Olympics.

My only prediction is that there will be one big upset before the medal games. One of Canada, US, or Sweden will be ousted without even a shot at bronze.
Would the US not medaling be considered a big upset? I don't know how many people have them down as favourites, I guess it would be an upset just because it's the US.

USA about to get purple mountain majestic on these chump Olympics.

Anyone who doesn't root for Slovakia after their home country is heartless. Gold for Demitra!

893614_pavol-demitra-rozlucka-mshokej2011-dansko-slzy-plac.jpg%3Ftime%3D1334222653%26hash%3Daa3b86744827b51c0a1ade7f1d4b9129

'Murica number one because freedom, obviously, but I'm pulling for Slovakia after Finland. (Timonen+Selanne are have the Fins cemented as my secondary team.)

Also,
I hope the USA eliminates Russia and a laughing Kessel takes a cellphone photo of Ovechkin.
This would be the greatest of things.

Entropia

No One Remembers
A small part of me is cheering for Slovenia because of Anze Kopitar. They're in Group A with Russia, US and Slovakia... ouch.

ShaneB

To me though, no real outcome will feel like an upset. Plenty of teams feel like contenders on any given day.

Acid08

Banned
There's a huge difference between the World Championships and the Olympics.

Would the US not medaling be considered a big upset? I don't know how many people have them down as favourites, I guess it would be an upset just because it's the US.
How are people even saying this? We took Canada to OT in the Gold medal game last Olympics. This team is arguably better than they were before. Why wouldn't they be a medal favorite?

Red_Man

How are people even saying this? We took Canada to OT in the Gold medal game last Olympics. This team is arguably better than they were before. Why wouldn't they be a medal favorite?
Their D is lackluster, and their C depth isn't great. Their biggest strength is on the wing which isn't exactly a recipe for success. Miller will have to play out of his mind like in Vancouver if they want to medal.

May16

Oh man I just watched a replay of the Japan vs. Sweden women's hockey game. Ooooohhhh so close, it was heartbreaking to watch. 1-0 loss for Japan, I thought it was gonna be more like 6-0 or something. Hopefully Japan goes home with a win. Maybe this will inspire the Japanese men's team to up their game! Good luck qualifying for Korea, team Slovenia, because the J-train is coming in!
tx-2014-cl-439.jpg

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man I just watched a replay of the Japan vs. Sweden women's hockey game. Ooooohhhh so close, it was heartbreaking to watch. 1-0 loss for Japan, I thought it was gonna be more like 6-0 or something. Hopefully Japan goes home with a win. Maybe this will inspire the Japanese men's team to up their game! Good luck qualifying for Korea, team Slovenia, because the J-train is coming in!
tx-2014-cl-439.jpg

It amazes me that Japan has a better hockey program than places which share a similar culture to Canada like the UK.

ShaneB

Thanks! What games would you recommend me to keep an eye in Sochi?

Generally speaking just keep an eye on when the powerhouse teams play each other. And as I listed those teams, I realized I was writing a good portion of all the teams anyway. There will likely be a squash match or two, but really, Olympic hockey... you can't go wrong with watching any of it, it's pretty much as good as it gets in the elimination games! edit: my "it's not perfect" comment, was more generally speaking towards the sport of hockey :)

Vade

Their D is lackluster, and their C depth isn't great. Their biggest strength is on the wing which isn't exactly a recipe for success. Miller will have to play out of his mind like in Vancouver if they want to medal.

USA's D is far better than the Vancouver team, Langenbrunner was an old man; while Miller stood on his head and carried the USA last time, Quick is the better tender and if he plays to the International level all will be fine in that zone.

The depth is the worry spot, while I do not worry about the game against Russia, standard Russian implosion in front of Putin, Canada, the Swedes and the only non-vikings of Scandivanvia, Finland, will be the danger games.

I also personally liked Ron Wilson more as a coach for the national team even without the NHL titles and wins that Dan Bylsma has.

My Prediction
Gold: Canada (First nation in hockey!)
Silver: Russia
Bronze: USA

USA is not gonna get the bronze but I wanted to put them up there somewhere.

ZeroGravity

Every team except Canada has a pretty lackluster D. Sweden would be closer if they had chose Hedman.

Suter's probably going to play half the game anyway for Team USA.

Northern latitudes are too into red, white, and blue. Jeez, the flags need more colors only Sweden has a different color with yellow.

And how am I supposed to Austria apart from Latvia? Aspect ratio?

And Slovakia and Slovenia . . . the size of their emblem?

Northern latitudes are too into red, white, and blue. Jeez, the flags need more colors only Sweden has a different color with yellow.

And how am I supposed to Austria apart from Latvia? Aspect ratio?

Latvia is a much darker red.

Blader

I think Quick is going to be the better goalie here this year.

Red_Man

I think Quick is going to be the better goalie here this year.
Quick hasn't be stellar since the Kings last cup, and just came off an injury a year ago. He's capable of raising his game, but I don't expect him to outplay Miller.

My predictions

Gold - Russia
Silver - Canada
Bronze - Finland

World Championships and Olympics are two different things.

I do expect Russia to be very tough though.

yuraya

World Championships and Olympics are two different things.

I do expect Russia to be very tough though.

I know. but Malkin really did go beast mode in that tourny. If he shows up in that form again to these games I don't see anybody being able to stop him.

Acid08

Banned
I know. but Malkin really did go beast mode in that tourny. If he shows up in that form again to these games I don't see anybody being able to stop him.
Malkin alone won't win them games. Their goaltending and defense is suspect.

12000 max capacity? That's pretty good......for the fucking ECHL.

WTF, Russia?
Yeah, I was wondering about that too. Seems pretty damn small. Were they worried they would not be able to fill up the venue if it was bigger? Where did that $50Billion go?!?!

Red_Man

Bouwmeester being in the top 6 for Canada is a joke. I wish they would put St Louis with Crosby instead of Carter.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Easily separated by jersey colors. The worst ever, even our players dislike them, because green is not our national color (but in darker shade primary color of one of our hockey teams which 75% fans of hockey in this country hate with passion) and they included it in vast quantities. Blue one is even more ugly.
12324548193_b9d81e479e.jpg

Easily separated by jersey colors. The worst ever, even our players dislike them, because green is not our national color (but in darker shade primary color of one of our hockey teams which 75% fans of hockey in this country hate with passion) and they included it in vast quantities. Blue one is even more ugly.
12324548193_b9d81e479e.jpg

Kinda makes me want a sprite

ZeroGravity

Bouwmeester being in the top 6 for Canada is a joke. I wish they would put St Louis with Crosby instead of Carter.
He'll be there by the end. Carter's coming into the tournament ice cold. I don't know why he's even that far up in the line-up.

Pretty sure Babcock doesn't care for St. Louis though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom