• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Microsoft E3 Conference [Over]

What shirt should Phil Spencer wear today?

Results are only viewable after voting.
This conference was such a bomb for them that refurb PS4 prices shot up about 10% once the conference ended. Last night I could find them for 305-315 pretty easily. Tonight, can't find a single one under 350. I might as well as just buy a new one.

In a vacuum sure, the conference wasn't awful. It was like a 6/10. But they needed so much better than that. They needed a console launch that would re-energize the whole brand and AT LEAST one blockbuster system seller style game. The console was right, the price wasn't, and the games were disappointing, especially since most of what was shown won't be making much use of the new power of the One X.

I really don't see how they can recover from this, unless they have an incredible trade in program during holiday where you can trade in OG XB1's for 150 and XB1s's for 200 toward a One X, the thing won't be moving units at any rate better than the PS4Pro did last year. The difference there is that Sony didn't need the PS4Pro to get them out of some kind of struggle. MS did need the 1X to pull off miracles for them. It's not happening. Better luck next gen.

What makes really hopeless is how excited Phil Spencer & co have been acting. Both before the show and on stage. They really believe this conference was great.

It was all hype and flat-out lies.

I expected nothing and I'm still disappointed.

The name is decent - better than Scorpio.

No.

I was telling my buddy that Sony almost just has to show up tomorrow to have a better conference. They would have to strategize and put in effort to have something worse IMO. As you can tell I was a bit underwhelmed by the whole thing :p

Lol I said the exact same thing a few pages ago!

Wow the Scorpio looks pretty amazing.

No offense, but did you watch the press conference?

Specs wise, yes but anything else, no.

blakep267

I guess I'd say for me I'm kinda jaded/ disappointed with the overall industry in general. So that's probably shaping how o don't find this conference to be that bad. Sure there are games that look great, DBZ PUBG Anthem but nothing from anybody is giving me that Titanfall vibe

Wamb0wneD

Bad call man, should have waited for after e3 to buy a ps4.
Why? There was a sale for 186€ ($208) and it only lasts until E3 is over, so i actually made the right choice. Unless they announce PS5 tomorrow lol. And even then i still got 10 or so single player exclusives i want on the thing.

So wait I am confused. Did they do a U turn on having ALL XboxOne games getting an automatic upgrade on Scorpio?

Games have to be patched to support it, so its exactly like PS4pro now?

Mathieran

Banned
I am really surprised MS didn't have a showstopper this year. They really needed it. The best looking games were multi platform.

Metro was game of the conference for me anyway. Looks great. I wasn't able to watch the actual conference but I've watched a bunch of trailers so far. Anthem looks beautiful but from what I can gather there isn't much there for solo players. Also the trailer was bad. Combat looks kind of boring too.

KrebStar

On the one hand, I wasn't super impressed with the conference as a whole.

On the other hand, they played a K.Flay song during their conference.

Let's be honest, people gave high praise for GoFundMe announcements last year at E3.

They gave high praise because at least Sony was directly responding to what fans had been clamouring for.

Meanwhile, Xbox continues to have an abysmal output of AAA first party games and does nothing to change that despite disappointing fans year after year.

Sony isn't infallible, but they try much, much, much harder than Microsoft does, and they're the ones way ahead in the lead.

anothertech

So wait I am confused. Did they do a U turn on having ALL XboxOne games getting an automatic upgrade on Scorpio?

It was always that way. People just made the 'auto upgrade' thing up, just like they made up Zen CPU and $399 pricepoint.

KageMaru

That was never promised. The only thing promised for existing games was they would run best on the X. Older games still need to be patched to support higher resolutions and effects.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the impression I got was that ALL games would benefit from an uprez/AA/Supersampling set built into the console, while very specific games, like Gears 4, would receive 4K updates from their developers. Meaning those games will play and render in "Native 4K" while everything else is uprezzed and/or has the new effects applied and then gets downsampled to 1080P.

The games receiving the updates will look even better than they would through the spec bump.

Kssio_Aug

Disappointing conference. I don't think it was a complete disaster, but still disappointing.

Forza 7 was a given. State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3 and Cuphead were also obvious presentations after so long they were in the oven.

Crackdown 3 trailer was awful, except for Terry Crews. The gameplay shots were all messed, graphics were ridiculously bad, frame-rate issues all over it, and not a single impressive destruction in the environment after all that bs about cloud processing.

Still, there are many games I'm interested such as Anthem, State of Decay 2, Dragon Ball Z, and quite a bunch of others; but that's because I don't care for exclusivities so I enjoyed the games by what they are.

It was very disappointing when we look at Xbox brand though. I'd expect MS would bring some new IPs to strengthen the brand. Unfortunately they did what I didn't believe: they lied down on Xbox Scorpio (aka Xbox One X - ridiculous name by the way).

About the price, although it was what I expected it to be, 500 USD was the maximum acceptable; anyting higher than this would be ridiculous. So, besides expected, I wish they could have gone at least with 450.

Hawk269

It was all hype and flat-out lies.

I expected nothing and I'm still disappointed.

No.

Lol I said the exact same thing a few pages ago!

No offense, but did you watch the press conference?

Specs wise, yes but anything else, no.

I had a pretty large group of people watching it in 4k and almost all of them were blown away. Not sure what conference you were watching or maybe you were watching a low quality feed...but watching it in 4k and having 4k games with HDR is looked pretty fucking incredible. Forza 7, Ashen, Assassins Creed, Metro all blew people away visually. Hardware is fantastic.

Honestly as a person that has a high end gaming rig that does 4k/60fps, I did not think it could do 4k/60fps like they showed for Forza 7. It takes a shit ton of power on my RIG to pull of 4k/60fps in Forza Apex, the fact that a $500.00 console is pulling this off is pretty incredible. Granted, $500 is a lot of the casual consumer, but this is not aimed for that demo graphic and it was not aimed to take the sales crown from Sony..I don't think anything can do that at this point regardless. It was made to give people an option that if they wanted a high powered console (not a PC) then this is for them.

Anyways, like I said, I had a pretty large group of people over and almost all of them were blown away by what they saw as far as graphics. Yeah, we all agreed we would of loved to hear stuff that was for holiday 2018 or early 2019, but those will come (at least I hope lol).

After watching The Anthem gameplay again, I'm completely underwhelmed.

Graphically [if that's in fact how it will look when it releases] it's impressive, but thematically it's retreading multiple different areas of entertainment that we've already experienced before.

1). The whole getting in power suits thing with multiplayer - that's "Titanfall".

2). The entire world/environment looks like "Avatar".

3). The four-person squad against big monsters was already done in "Evolved".

4). Destiny.

All Bioware did was take already existing ideas and IP's and mash them together to create something "unique".

And no bullshit here - Forza 7 looked inferior compared to Gran Turismo Sport and I mean that both in terms of photorealism and lighting.

Graphically [if that's in fact how it will look when it releases] it's impressive, but thematically it's retreading multiple different areas of entertainment that we've already experienced before.

1). The whole getting in power suits thing with multiplayer - that's "Titanfall".

All Bioware did was take already existing ideas and IP's and mash them together to create something "unique".

And no bullshit here - Forza 7 looked inferior compared to Gran Turismo Sport and I mean that both in terms of photorealism and lighting.

You forgot the obvious Destiny element.

I guess I'm delusional but I thought it was a pretty good press conference. The console being $499 was a bit of a bummer but I was super impressed with the form factor of the console with how much horsepower it's packing. My only other negative was that they showed off too many games so it was a little hard to keep up. If they had cut out a little bit of the filler and slightly less talking I thought it would have been a great conference.

Highlights

Console Exclusives
Tacoma - August 2nd (Gone Home was fantastic so I have nothing but high hopes)
Cuphead- September 29th (Wish it was releasing sooner but I'm still stoked)
Forza Motorsport 7- October 3rd
Crackdown 3- November 7th (Terry Crews, collecting orbs and blowing shit up- sign me up)
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds- TBA 2017
State of Decay 2- Early 2018 (Looked a bit rough but enjoyed the first one so my hopes are still high)
Sea of Thieves- Early 2018 (The demo at the conference sold me on this game. Seems like so much fun with friends)
Ori and the Will of the Wisps- TBA (Sequel to one of my favourite metroidvania's)

Console Launch Exclusives
Ashen- TBA
The Last Night- TBA (Serious Blade Runner Vibes)
The Artful Escape- TBA (Love unique games like this)

Third Party
Metro: Exodus- TBA 2018 (Loved the first two games and this looked incredible)
Assassin's Creed: Origins- October 27th (Very intrigued by the Ancient Egypt setting)
Dragon Ball Fighter Z- Early 2018 (Dragon Ball Z fighting game from Arc Systems- sign me up)
Middle-Earth: Shadow of War- Oct. 10th (Loved the first one and I can't wait for this one)
Life is Strange: Before the Storm- Episode 1 in August
Code Vein- TBA 2018
Anthem- TBA 2018 (This game looks stunning and looks like I'll lose hundreds of hours to it)

Other
Older games getting XBOX One X patches
Native 4K and 60 fps for Forza Motorsport 7 (for only $500 is insane)
Original Xbox Backwards compatibility (Crimson Skies hype!)

Overall 8/10 Press Conference- Really solid showing in my opinion

Wereroku

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the impression I got was that ALL games would benefit from an uprez/AA/Supersampling set built into the console, while very specific games, like Gears 4, would receive 4K updates from their developers. Meaning those games will play and render in "Native 4K" while everything else is uprezzed and/or has the new effects applied and then gets downsampled to 1080P.

The games receiving the updates will look even better than they would through the spec bump.

If the game already has variable res it will go to the max it can achieve on X1X. They also are boasting automatic AA and faster loading. Anything else requires a dev update.

I guess I'm delusional but I thought it was a pretty good press conference. The console being $499 was a bit of a bummer but I was super impressed with the form factor of the console with how much horsepower it's packing. My only other negative was that they showed off too many games so it was a little hard to keep up. If they had cut out a little bit of the filler and slightly less talking I thought it would have been a great conference.

Highlights

Console Exclusives
Tacoma - August 2nd (Gone Home was fantastic so I have nothing but high hopes)
Cuphead- September 29th (Wish it was releasing sooner but I'm still stoked)
Forza Motorsport 7- October 3rd
Crackdown 3- November 7th (Terry Crews, collecting orbs and blowing shit up- sign me up)
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds- TBA 2017
State of Decay 2- Early 2018 (Looked a bit rough but enjoyed the first one so my hopes are still high)
Sea of Thieves- Early 2018 (The demo at the conference sold me on this game. Seems like so much fun with friends)
Ori and the Will of the Wisps- TBA (Sequel to one of my favourite metroidvania's)

Console Launch Exclusives
Ashen- TBA
The Last Night- TBA (Serious Blade Runner Vibes)
The Artful Escape- TBA (Love unique games like this)

I am pretty sure Tacoma is a launch exclusive as well.

Will there be anymore truly Xbox exclusives? Meaning not available on PC too?

Probably not for many years with all major games. Microsoft signaled a clear strategy a couple of years ago to promote PC along with the Xbox console as part of the Xbox brand. They'd have to have another major shift in strategy.

It's great for gamers, but it's frustrating for console warriors.

MacAttack

I still think the 1x is a desirable option for all those people who just bought 4K hdr tvs and are looking for native content to play on it.

The games are fine, since most people just want to play Madden or CoD anyway. Its about $99 too expensive, but people saying it's DOA are playing the 'E3 hot take' game too hard.

wachie

I am pretty sure Tacoma is a launch exclusive as well.
You are correct.

From Microsoft themselves -
Complete list of games (except from ID@Xbox reel) for those wondering.

• "ANTHEM" (ELECTRONIC ARTS).
  • "THE ARTFUL ESCAPE OF FRANCIS VENDETTI" (CONSOLE LAUNCH EXCLUSIVE).
  • "ASHEN" (CONSOLE LAUNCH EXCLUSIVE).
  • "ASSASSIN'S CREED ORIGINS" (UBISOFT – WORLD PREMIERE).
  • "BLACK DESERT" (CONSOLE LAUNCH EXCLUSIVE).
  • "CODE VEIN" (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT AMERICA INC. – WORLD PREMIERE).
  • "CRACKDOWN 3" (XBOX ONE AND WINDOWS 10 EXCLUSIVE).
  • "CUPHEAD" (XBOX ONE AND WINDOWS 10 EXCLUSIVE).
  • "THE DARWIN PROJECT" (CONSOLE LAUNCH EXCLUSIVE).
  • "DEEP ROCK GALACTIC" (CONSOLE LAUNCH EXCLUSIVE).
  • "DRAGON BALL FIGHTERZ (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT AMERICA INC. – WORLD PREMIERE).
  • "FORZA MOTORSPORT 7" (XBOX ONE AND WINDOWS 10 EXCLUSIVE – WORLD PREMIERE).
  • "THE LAST NIGHT" (CONSOLE LAUNCH EXCLUSIVE).
  • "LIFE IS STRANGE: BEFORE THE STORM" (SQUARE-ENIX – WORLD PREMIERE).
  • "METRO EXODUS" (DEEP SILVER – WORLD PREMIERE).
  • "MIDDLE-EARTH: SHADOW OF WAR"
  • "MINECRAFT" (UNIFICATION, BETTER TOGETHER UPDATE, SUPER DUPER GRAPHICS PACK).
  • "ORI AND THE WILL OF THE WISPS" (XBOX ONE AND WINDOWS 10 EXCLUSIVE – WORLD PREMIERE).
  • "PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS" (CONSOLE LAUNCH EXCLUSIVE).
  • "SEA OF THIEVES" (XBOX ONE AND WINDOWS 10 EXCLUSIVE).
  • "STATE OF DECAY 2" (XBOX ONE AND WINDOWS 10 EXCLUSIVE).
  • "SUPER LUCKY'S TALE" (XBOX ONE AND WINDOWS 10 EXCLUSIVE – WORLD PREMIERE).
  • "TACOMA" (CONSOLE LAUNCH EXCLUSIVE).

Megatron

I cant believe sea of thieves isnt this year. Wtf, microsoft? I guess they will position it between devs iny and Anthem. I guess a spring launch will keep it from being burried.

It's hilarious to see people saying that was an 8/10 conference. I'd hate to see what a company would need to put up to get a 5/10. Three Army Men game remasters and YouTube Influencer Chris-Chan?

Or EA's press conference yesterday. Or EA's last year, or Ubisoft's last year. This was so much better than those.

KageMaru

4). Destiny.

Wow this is some grade A spin. Everything considered, Anthem was head and shoulders above anything we've seen. It looked so good I doubt it was really running on X hardware. You're definitely on a mission in this thread.

naitosan

Thought their conference was pretty good. Would have liked to see some surprises but OG XB BC was great though. There's still Gamescom so maybe they're saving some until then.

As with most other deals it usually requires them to be vague but as posted above they are called a launch exclusive. Also GiantBomb said it wasn't exclusive and they are pretty friendly with the devs.

That's true. I guess the relevance of the exclusivity depends on how long the game is console exclusive for. Rise of the Tomb Raider is usually associated with Microsoft even though it did come out on PS4 a year later.

sniffy

Neo Member
I find it super bizarre that in the lead-up to this conference, MS were flaunting the XB1X SoC, and that at the conference itself, a giant PCB was the backdrop.

Why the fuck would you flaunt electrical components at a video game conference targeting the masses? Of all the ways they missed the mark, this was the one that stuck out to me. I am a huge tech enthusiast, but jesus christ E3 is not where you flaunt that shit.

Wereroku

That's true. I guess the relevance of the exclusivity depends on how long the game is console exclusive for. Rise of the Tomb Raider is usually associated with Microsoft even though it did come out on PS4 a year later.

With Sony launch console exclusive is usually shorter at like 3 months but some have been longer. We aren't looking at a 1yr deal unless the dev needs time to actually make the ps4 port.

I find it super bizarre that in the lead-up to this conference, MS were flaunting the XB1X SoC, and that at the conference itself, a giant PCB was the backdrop.

Why the fuck would you flaunt electrical components at a video game conference targeting the masses? Of all the ways they missed the mark, this was the one that stuck out to me. I am a huge tech enthusiast, but jesus christ E3 is not where you flaunt that shit.

Because being the best 3rd party console is all they have right now. Trying to be the name in tech specs could be a winning strategy but the price is pretty high for general consumers.

Top Bottom