• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 years ago today the best episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine aired

ManaByte

Gold Member

Star Trek Hoax GIF

RAÏSanÏa

A timeless monologue for an eternal question.

Echoed in spirit in the Mando ep with Burr when Mayfield was using Mando's helmet switch to talk about lines that aren't crossed until things get messy. Mando having to correct later, and the leeway for others, was insightful for allowances.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
DS9 is my least favourite Star Trek it was so dry. I will check out this episode

I think when it first aired a lot of people (including me) felt it was too dry, dark and too serious when compared to the more adventurous Next Generation, but when looked back on now, it‘s very considerable merits are very apparent.

All the shit they try and fail to do in nu-Trek now was being done properly and very well 25 years ago. DS9 has aged so well in storytelling terms.

Ulysses 31

I think when it first aired a lot of people (including me) felt it was too dry, dark and too serious when compared to the more adventurous Next Generation, but when looked back on now, it‘s very considerable merits are very apparent.

All the shit they try and fail to do in nu-Trek now was being done properly and very well 25 years ago. DS9 has aged so well in storytelling terms.
They had Babylon 5 to compete with too pushing them harder. :messenger_winking_tongue:

DS9 was a thoughtful look at how a society such as the Federation might function more realistically once you ignore Roddenberry's utopian fantasies of humanity stripped of what makes us human.

Nu-Trek is just a half-assed attempt at grim-dark without 40k's intentional absurdity.

Facism

There was nothing like watching DS9 during its original run…that and WCW Monday Nitro, what a time to be a preteen

I remember catching it after school when i was younger. And then later on in life, when I had immense insomnia and BBC2 was airing 4 episodes over the weekends after 12am lol. They did this with TNG beforehand, too. What a time to not be able to sleep.

Last edited:

Nico_D

I'm currently rewatching Quantum Leap (the real one). After that I had considered rewatching DS9. Probably will.

pramod

Banned
Sorry if this rant is just some griping about DS9 in general but, while I agree that DS9 certainly had complex serious storyline and maybe writing-wise DS9 > TNG, but oh my god, I think character/cast-wise TNG >>>> DS9.
Looking back I think that was my main reason for not being able to get into DS9. I just couldn't connect with any of the characters. They are all so attractive, perfect and flawless, but also so bland and uninteresting, and can almost be interchangeable.
There were no amazing multi-faceted, flawed characters like Data, Geordi, Lt. Barclay, or Worf. In fact they even had to bring Worf over to DS9 to save the show.
I guess Quark and Gul-Dukat were pretty cool, but they weren't enough to make DS9 worth watching for me.
That's why these days I'd rather look up the history of DS9 on Memory Alpha than have to sit through the episodes.

Last edited:
Sorry if this rant is just some griping about DS9 in general but, while I agree that DS9 certainly had complex serious storyline and maybe writing-wise DS9 > TNG, but oh my god, I think character/cast-wise TNG >>>> DS9.
Looking back I think that was my main reason for not being able to get into DS9. I just couldn't connect with any of the characters. They are all so attractive, perfect and flawless, but also so bland and uninteresting, and can almost be interchangeable.
There were no amazing multi-faceted, flawed characters like Data, Geordi, Lt. Barclay, or Worf. In fact they even had to bring Worf over to DS9 to save the show.
I guess Quark and Gul-Dukat were pretty cool, but they weren't enough to make DS9 worth watching for me.
That's why these days I'd rather look up the history of DS9 on Memory Alpha than have to sit through the episodes.
Drawing Motivation GIF

I'm just wondering if we both watched the same show. Not a single character ended the show anywhere near where they began it, and they were all deeply flawed.

Wtf am I reading? TNG all characters seem the exact same by the end, even data as he didnt even get his emotions until the movies.

Ds9 literally every character changed.

Op on point probably the best ds9 episode

Last edited:

star-trek-jadzia-dax.gif

Meicyn

Gold Member
They are all so attractive, perfect and flawless, but also so bland and uninteresting, and can almost be interchangeable.
Um, what?

Sisko was a huge departure from Kirk and Picard, willing to get down and dirty. One might argue that Kirk was also a rule breaker, but mostly in a “I don’t do speed limits” kind of way. Sisko on the other hand, was willing to do serious longterm damage. There’s of course, the bit that this thread is dedicated to. He also detonated photon torpedoes on two Maqui planets, irradiating them and making them uninhabitable for five decades… motivated by mostly his own personal grudge with Eddington over a betrayal. That’s top tier petty and I question what other Federation protagonist or DS9 character you could possibly exchange him with.

Kira is an unrepentant former Maqui terrorist. I mean, her past is littered with a large Cardassian body count, and she doesn’t budge an inch on how she feels her actions were 100% justified, man, woman, or child, as she viewed all present on Bajor as valid targets. She’s interchangeable with whom, exactly?

I mean, even Jake Sisko got more development than say, Deanna Troi or Beverly Crusher. Jake showcasing a very realistic reaction to war, choosing to run at the sign of immediate, direct danger and later trying to come to terms with his own cowardice was a really great arc for the character. The Visitor was an incredible episode showcasing just how important his father was to him.

DS9 had far better character writing than TNG. And it’s fine really, they’re two very different shows doing very different things. I love TNG and all, but your take on DS9 is just absurd and disconnected with the given lineup of episodes that are (Christ) over two decades old.

Pagusas

Elden Member
DS9 holds up better than B5 I think. But you’re right. They had up their game because of what B5 was doing.
Production wise yes, story wise I don't feel it does even after all this time. B5 just has a special place in TV history for what it did (to me at least).

ManaByte

Gold Member
Production wise yes, story wise I don't feel it does even after all this time. B5 just has a special place in TV history for what it did (to me at least).
I just rewatched B5 and it loses all steam once Earth is dealt with. Meaning the final season is a bore.

Facism

Wtf am I reading? TNG all characters seem the exact same by the end, even data as he didnt even get his emotions until the movies.

Ds9 literally every character changed.

Op on point probably the best ds9 episode

the only way Data changed across TNG was the "I do not know" spam in season 7.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

When Sisko grew his goatee, the stories got better but even in the first episode... ALL the characters were deeply flawed! What the HELL were you watching?! Because it definitely wasn't DS9!

pramod

Banned
When Sisko grew his goatee, the stories got better but even in the first episode... ALL the characters were deeply flawed! What the HELL were you watching?! Because it definitely wasn't DS9!
I guess they were flawed, but not in a way I could relate to. I dunno what it was exactly but I just didn't care for any of the characters, except maybe Gul Dukat.
Maybe it was the lack of humor? No doubt they were all written very well and had good character arcs, but I just couldn't connect to them at all.

Locutus

I watched this episode last night thanks to this thread. I’m not sure if I’ve seen it since it originally aired. Wow…it was riveting. What an incredible episode.

Duet from season 1 was probably the best 'small' episode in all of Trek. Mostly people taking to each other in a cell but absolutely riveting.

pramod

Banned
Kira was a terrorist, Quark a conman, Garak a spy, Dukat a war criminal, Bashir narcissistic, Sisko cold-blooded and vengeful...

All the characters had a lot of depth.
I think you summed it up pretty well. So they were all pretty much nasty, unlikeable people.
Anyways im obviously in the minority here in this thread so ill shutup and take my leave now.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I think you summed it up pretty well. So they were all pretty much nasty, unlikeable people.
Not at all. They were complex characters with faults, which made them interesting. This was a direct reaction to TNG's idealized cast, which portrayed a vision of the future largely free of human shortcomings dragging it down.

Ulysses 31

I just rewatched B5 and it loses all steam once Earth is dealt with. Meaning the final season is a bore.
Yeah, it was a shame the way the studio handled it, leaving it unsure if there would be a 5th season so the makers crammed season 4 full of events, leaving the cup bare for season 5 when it got greenlit.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I have never seen the Dominion war season because my local syndication station at the time stopped carrying DS9. I should watch the final season of DS9.

Ulysses 31

I have never seen the Dominion war season because my local syndication station at the time stopped carrying DS9. I should watch the final season of DS9.
Doesn't that include season 6? That's where the federation actually actively started fighting back.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

Um, what?

Sisko was a huge departure from Kirk and Picard, willing to get down and dirty. One might argue that Kirk was also a rule breaker, but mostly in a “I don’t do speed limits” kind of way. Sisko on the other hand, was willing to do serious longterm damage. There’s of course, the bit that this thread is dedicated to. He also detonated photon torpedoes on two Maqui planets, irradiating them and making them uninhabitable for five decades… motivated by mostly his own personal grudge with Eddington over a betrayal. That’s top tier petty and I question what other Federation protagonist or DS9 character you could possibly exchange him with.

Kira is an unrepentant former Maqui terrorist. I mean, her past is littered with a large Cardassian body count, and she doesn’t budge an inch on how she feels her actions were 100% justified, man, woman, or child, as she viewed all present on Bajor as valid targets. She’s interchangeable with whom, exactly?

I mean, even Jake Sisko got more development than say, Deanna Troi or Beverly Crusher. Jake showcasing a very realistic reaction to war, choosing to run at the sign of immediate, direct danger and later trying to come to terms with his own cowardice was a really great arc for the character. The Visitor was an incredible episode showcasing just how important his father was to him.

DS9 had far better character writing than TNG. And it’s fine really, they’re two very different shows doing very different things. I love TNG and all, but your take on DS9 is just absurd and disconnected with the given lineup of episodes that are (Christ) over two decades old.

They also had a whole Episode on Nog PTSD...

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
It was just on TV. I've seen it before but I didn't remember much.

While I wouldn't say it's the best episode of Deep Space Nine, it is definitely in the top 10 or even top 5.

Absolutely fantastic episode.

Really wish I got into Trek way younger than I did.

I binged TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY and the movies all within 1 year so my memory of the episodes sort of just blend into each other, save for a few exceptionally stand-out ones.

Might have to give this one a rewatch.

Dazrael

Vic Fontaine was low key my favourite DS9 character. An absurd character in conception, a holographic agony uncle for the crew of a station that didn’t have a counsellor who just happened to be a lounge singer from the 60s.

But as opposed to being a one and done character he became quite impactful to the crew, to the point that they helped him with his own problems when the time came (even if it was largely a daft episode).

DS9 was a great show, even if it was something that I think Roddenberry would have hated. It blurred the lines between his idea of a utopian future and how reality can actually be, something this particular episode demonstrated.

Paltheos

Definitely on the list of 'pretty good episodes' but not my favorite.

Season 1's Duet (one of the few good S1 episodes) is a favorite, almost entirely on the back of guest actor Harris Yulin as the cardassian Maritza. The breakdown at the end is heartwrenching: One of very performances, from anything, that emotionally shook me. Just fantastic.

S6's Waltz is also up there. An episode devoted entirely to deconstructing Dukat is something most fans wanted I imagine, and Marc Alaimo and the writers brought the goods. Listening to Dukat candidly attempt to justify his atrocities and reconcile them with his image of himself as a great man is great television. The escalation from professional rationalization to naked resentment and racism to the sober declaration of "I should have killed them all" is amazing to watch in its horribleness.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
The only DS9 storyline I didn't like was the Maquis story. They kept saying Sisko was obsessed with Eddington(I think that was his name) but I never bought it. Felt forced.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Vic Fontaine was low key my favourite DS9 character. An absurd character in conception, a holographic agony uncle for the crew of a station that didn’t have a counsellor who just happened to be a lounge singer from the 60s.

But as opposed to being a one and done character he became quite impactful to the crew, to the point that they helped him with his own problems when the time came (even if it was largely a daft episode).

DS9 was a great show, even if it was something that I think Roddenberry would have hated. It blurred the lines between his idea of a utopian future and how reality can actually be, something this particular episode demonstrated.
I live here in Las Vegas so I just kind of love the whole aesthetic of Vic Fontaine.

Top Bottom