• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K to develop the next FIFA game

Holammer

Can anyone who can afford this license actually make a fun soccer game? No. Will they? Also no.
Sports games are made for sports fans nowadays, and such fans want real players, uniforms, stats and the iconic grass patterns and lighting of the stadiums.
So the fun sports games of the Neogeo era your average gamer could enjoy can't be done today, not even Neo Turf Masters.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Sports games are made for sports fans nowadays, and such fans want real players, uniforms, stats and the iconic grass patterns and lighting of the stadiums.
So the fun sports games of the Neogeo era your average gamer could enjoy can't be done today, not even Neo Turf Masters.

Sure, but we also used to have NBA Jam. Best of both worlds.

Trilobit

Gold Member
2K were amazing with their NHL games in the 00s. Far superior to EA's NHL. Don't know if they have remained as talented, but it will be interesting to see how their FIFA game will differ from previous ones.

ClosBSAS

Good even if its full of mtx, ot has potential to be much better than shitty fc 2024. The formula has been stake since 2015. Boring ass game, efootball 2024 plays much better.

Heres hoping they make a good game so i do t have to buy the next ones

PaintTinJr

Question is, is there a single football game this generation that could be recommended for fans of the genre? Nothing comes to mind for me, and the lack of Konami being in the game makes it all the more worse....
Konami's eFootball is the best version of PES ever IMO, the only downside being it is F2P without training drills rather than a complete bought product. But gameplay wise at the highest skill level the football engine is spectacular, especially once you've fully developed your players' progress so their stats reflect their true self .

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Cool it’ll be the London whites versus West Midlands village in a thrilling game in the FA prmeieireiere league.

Three

Title should be ‘Rumor: 2K to make the next FIFA game’.
Pet peeve of mine, but it should be clear from the start that this isn’t official or confirmed.
It has a rumour tag that makes including it in the title redundant.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Konami's eFootball is the best version of PES ever IMO, the only downside being it is F2P without training drills rather than a complete bought product. But gameplay wise at the highest skill level the football engine is spectacular, especially once you've fully developed your players' progress so their stats reflect their true self .
Did they ever patch master league into it?

Markio128

Gold Member
I’d love a new football game from a different developer, but not like this.

In fairness though, which other developer could make a great football game?

FeralEcho

They're sure going to compete who's got more predatory monetization scheme.
Good,I hope everyone who enabled this shit with all the ultimate team garbage shenanigans gets to reap what they sow. I hope the standard edition costs 200$. Not like it would matter,these puppets would still pay what their corporate overlords ask of them.

StereoVsn

I’d love a new football game from a different developer, but not like this.

In fairness though, which other developer could make a great football game?
Clearly only Ubisoft could save us! 😉

In reality any of these large corpos would go all in with MTX fuckery. You can see it in FIFA and even more so in 2K NBA series.

RAIDEN1

You say that but:

PaintTinJr

You say that but:

I didn't watch the whole video, but the game provides options to deal with the shoulder barge and first touch issues he's wrongly complaining about. And the game is far deeper than the reviewer's playing capabilities IMO. I've only been playing PES on my own console since ISS Pro Evo - and trying to play as much now, as I did when I still lived at my parent's and had a brother to play every evening to the early hours - so feel free take my opinion as is, and as someone that hasn't spent any money on the this F2P game, and won't unless its a disc product.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Did they ever patch master league into it?
The league option against the AI has 95% of the experience of the ML IMO, especially as they force key games at harder difficulty(Legend) to make winning the league extremely difficult virtually no matter how good you are at the game and how good your squad.

cormack12

Gold Member
The league option against the AI has 95% of the experience of the ML IMO, especially as they force key games at harder difficulty(Legend) to make winning the league extremely difficult virtually no matter how good you are at the game and how good your squad.
So I can play a full league type mode yeah?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Question is, is there a single football game this generation that could be recommended for fans of the genre? Nothing comes to mind for me, and the lack of Konami being in the game makes it all the more worse....
Football Manager 2024 but I recognise that that’s a management sim and not a football game.

PaintTinJr

So I can play a full league type mode yeah?
Yeah, play every game of a league against the AI, home and away, and earn league currency points you can use to sign players on loan for your league team - in addition to the players you buy and develop for your team used in all other modes - and use those points selectively against per game condition or stat buffs for all team players, or 3x points gains over multiple matches.

When you don't win the league, you earn more points by your finishing position to carry over to the next league season giving you more signing or buff uses. And you obviously earn different amounts of league currency points based on the difficulty you choose for a match, and the result you got in the match. You can even have the AI play for you, if you want to do it as a FM match.

Aenima

And all those teams are also licensed under FIFA.
Thats not how it works. But as far as I know EA dont own any exclusive licences. Konami had an exclusive license for Juventus team, and EA even with Fifa licence could not use that team in the game, they had to make a team with the same players but with a made up team logo, uniform and name.

EA has years and years of players data and experience in football, owning a Fifa licence is meaningless. A fifa licence pretty much just allows them to make an oficial game about the world cup. Player names, clubs, leagues, they are all independent licences from different institutions.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Yeah, play every game of a league against the AI, home and away, and earn league currency points you can use to sign players on loan for your league team - in addition to the players you buy and develop for your team used in all other modes - and use those points selectively against per game condition or stat buffs for all team players, or 3x points gains over multiple matches.

When you don't win the league, you earn more points by your finishing position to carry over to the next league season giving you more signing or buff uses. And you obviously earn different amounts of league currency points based on the difficulty you choose for a match, and the result you got in the match. You can even have the AI play for you, if you want to do it as a FM match.
Holy shit dude, I downloaded this tonight and love it!!!! You little legend. I'll get my nan to milk your balls

PaintTinJr

Holy shit dude, I downloaded this tonight and love it!!!! You little legend. I'll get my nan to milk your balls
Yeah the game even in its F2P format is crazy good IMO, and it completely boggles the mind how anyone is spending on FC24 UT and not playing this too, or instead of.

The only thing that's broken in the game is the manual shoot, which is a shame as PES 2021's manual shooting is the absolute GOAT IMO where a knock-on to charged shot would let you manually aim at two opposing far corner points before picking where you wanted it just as the strike is made, and even with players with poor shooting stats you could place the ball close to your target even with their weaker foot

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

eFootball isn't bad. It is in terms of licenses, which PES was never the best in but they always had some leagues and CL at some point. Its F2P mechanics mean its obviously lacking but I think the overall feel of the game is good again. Scoring and crosspasses feel good, it reminds me of the PES heyday which means it feels more weighty and less on rails.

Its less arcadey than FIFA. And you don't have to buy it each year.

Top Bottom