• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$300 jeans on, does that mean we dream wrong? - Official Denimhead Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
JeanGaf I have a question: What is the general consensus on Rock Revival jeans? I dig the look but am looking for some expert opinions. Thanks!!

JeanGaf I have a question: What is the general consensus on Rock Revival jeans? I dig the look but am looking for some expert opinions. Thanks!!
I'd also like to know out of curiosity. I love the Rock Revival jeans personally but want to know GAFS opinion as well. : 3

Kerned

Banned
I'd also like to know out of curiosity. I love the Rock Revival jeans personally but want to know GAFS opinion as well. : 3

So I am criticizing those jeans, not you, but that brand has a lot of the hallmarks of lower quality denim. They are pre-distressed in ways that seem very "try-hard" and artificial, and have a lot of unnecessary and distracting details. I would rather buy a pair of $50 jeans and wear them until they develop actual fades than buy something with obvious fake factory fades like these. The rear pocket "arcs" make me really sad, they are just going too far. Simplicity is my mantra for clothing, and these just fly in the face of that.

So I am criticizing those jeans, not you, but that brand has a lot of the hallmarks of lower quality denim. They are pre-distressed in ways that seem very "try-hard" and artificial, and have a lot of unnecessary and distracting details. I would rather buy a pair of $50 jeans and wear them until they develop actual fades than buy something with obvious fake factory fades like these. The rear pocket "arcs" make me really sad, they are just going too far. Simplicity is my mantra for clothing, and these just fly in the face of that.

I see what you mean by it being "try hard" but the details is actually what I like about the jeans, for me it's just the perfect amount of over the top, have actually gotten a few compliments while wearing them. And the fact that I get crazy discounts for the jeans instead of paying for say 100$+ just seals the deal for me. Also I like your opinion on the jean's, never heard negativity about them until now lol.

h3ro

I see what you mean by it being "try hard" but the details is actually what I like about the jeans, for me it's just the perfect amount of over the top, have actually gotten a few compliments while wearing them. And the fact that I get crazy discounts for the jeans instead of paying for say 100$+ just seals the deal for me. Also I like your opinion on the jean's, never heard negativity about them until now lol.

1cIf1IX.jpg

... c'mon man.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you get a discount? Assume you work there?

If you don't mind me asking, how do you get a discount? Assume you work there?
I have a cousin I am close with that gives me a discount since he works there. Also he sometimes sells pairs he owns for cheap and I am the first guy he lets know about it.

Originally Posted by h3ro
1cIf1IX.jpg

Hate pants with rips, would never get this pair of jeans. Thankfully there are many of the rock revival jeans that don't have rips.

Kerned

Banned
That price seems pretty insane though. Especially since you can get a PBJ or Samurai for less if you order online.

Yeah I just wouldn't ever pay that for Gustin. That fabric does in fact look amazing, but their construction and details are not at all at the level of a $300 jean (at least based on the one pair I have and never wear).

h3ro

Loving these grey Weird Guy fits I picked up from Naked and Famous. It's a little tight in the thigh (I skip a few leg days lol) but the stacking that's starting to develop after a couple of wears looks dope.
Hate pants with rips, would never get this pair of jeans. Thankfully there are many of the rock revival jeans that don't have rips.

The rips are pretty low on the list of issues I see with this denim.

To each their own.

Bumping--related to my last post, I want to try out some new brands. Some of my Gustin stuff, I love, but I want to branch out and maybe find more consistent fits. A recent pair came in and are baggy as hell, which I've had some (in the same size/fit) that are TIGHT. Most are a happy medium, but it's still annoying.

Most Gustin pairs I buy are $80-100, and I occasionally splurge on a $130-40 pair. What's a similarly priced brand to check out? And why do you like them?

Kerned

Banned
Bumping--related to my last post, I want to try out some new brands. Some of my Gustin stuff, I love, but I want to branch out and maybe find more consistent fits. A recent pair came in and are baggy as hell, which I've had some (in the same size/fit) that are TIGHT. Most are a happy medium, but it's still annoying.

Most Gustin pairs I buy are $80-100, and I occasionally splurge on a $130-40 pair. What's a similarly priced brand to check out? And why do you like them?
Have you tried Naked and Famous? They can often be be found on sale, it's not uncommon to be able to grab a pair for less than your stayed upoer price range. I have one pair, I like them pretty well, but I have to admit that my Gustins seem better made and have nicer details like belt loops that are sewn into the waistband. That said, I never wear the Gustins, the thighs are way bigger than their stated measurements and they look frumpy on me. I've been meaning to sell them.

I like the Naked and Famous pair I have and I would recommend the brand on sale, but probably not at full price. Lately though I've been wearing Japan Blue and (more frequently) Iron Heart. If you can up your budget to around $200 you can start to get into some much better pants. Japan Blue makes a great pair of jeans for $200. Beautiful fabric, nice details, has been fading spectacularly.

Had a meh experience with Gustin. I followed their measurements against my current pair of jeans to the best of my abilities but it came way too big. My only option is to send it back for store credit to use on their warehouse stock. I'm just gonna keep it for when I get fat later on.

Thanks, guys. I think I'll save my clothing budget for a few months and spring for a pair of Japan Blue's.

Any vendor recommendation? They don't seem to sell direct from site.

Also, any tips on fit? When I first started ordering from Gustin, I just got some of their cheaper pairs to see how the cuts fits--I don't really have that option with Japan Blue. Their sizing chart/fit guide is accurate?

Thanks, guys. I think I'll save my clothing budget for a few months and spring for a pair of Japan Blue's.

Also, any tips on fit? When I first started ordering from Gustin, I just got some of their cheaper pairs to see how the cuts fits--I don't really have that option with Japan Blue. Their sizing chart/fit guide is accurate?

Blue Owl Workshop sells Japan Blue.

Measure your favorite pair of jeans and go off of that to figure out what you want. Compare it with the size charts blue owl has and remember to account for shrinkage and stretching.

Kerned

Banned
I would definitely second the Blue Owl suggestion, that's where I got mine (it's a collaboration pair actually). Really great customer service too. Don't hesitate to email them with questions about sizing, they are super helpful.

Denimio for the best prices, fast shipping, and customer service. 3 transactions for me all without a hitch. Blue Owl is also a great online store but you will pay more. With the exchange rate buying direct from Japan is a better deal.

Kerned

Banned
Denimio for the best prices, fast shipping, and customer service. 3 transactions for me all without a hitch. Blue Owl is also a great online store but you will pay more. With the exchange rate buying direct from Japan is a better deal.

I haven't tried buying from Denimio yet, but yeah, their prices are great.

Kerned

Banned
Those Iron Hearts look great. I got a pair of the 555-03 back in November and they are spectacular. They are definitely slow to break in and show their age, you are right about that. I'm still debating whether or not to hem. I think I'm going to get sick of the massive stacks before too long.

Archer

Got 16 pair of bespoke jeans tailor-made for me, with custom stitching for $600. Only sucka MCs pay off-the-rack prices.

D

Deleted member 594614

Unconfirmed Member
I have an addiction to denim....not just any denim, Nudie Denim..I spend far to much lol From jeans, shirts, sweaters, coats, T-shirts...I just throw my money at them...
I could show it all, and I will if anyone wants to see anything besides my jeans, but here is...THE DENIM!!!

(I tried to put them in colors...but it got to hard)

From L to R..
Tube Tom Black Black, (2 Pairs) Tube Tom Black Nova, Tight Long John Organic Black & Grey, Skinny Linn Night Buzz, Thin Finn Dark Pavement, High Kai Organic Black Bleach, Tight Long John Black Bleach

Skinny Linn Pale River (2 pairs) Tight Long John Sale Sample Unknown Type (VERY BLUE, like...the color blue! pockets, tags, etc.. all dyed blue) Skinny Linn Easy Strikey, High Kai Smokey Blue, Tight Long John Sweet Blue, Tight Long John Pacific Blue, Tube Tom Organic Sang Bleu

Tight Long John Strikey Favorite, Tube Tom Turner Shade, Gimm Tim Organic Teal, Thin Finn Classic Orange, Slim Jim Dry Broken, Skinny Linn Compact Cloud

Tube Kelly Dark Indigo, Tube Tom (style tag ripped out, I LOVE THESE AND WEAR THEM ALOT!) Grimm Tim Organic Deep Shade, Pipe Led Navy Night, Tube Kelly Used Dark Base, Skinny Linn Deep Abyss

Tight Long John Starlight Blue, Tube Tom Navy Worn In, Thin Finn Wornin Pepper,
Thin Finn Dry Dirt Organic (These are my HEAVY work pants. I wear them everyday to work!)

Little bonus content! Have a Dark Wash shirt on the way and looking for another coat. Not my Favorite Denim Tops/Coats TBH so I usually dont buy Nudie Denim tops.

I have 1 or 2 more pairs still coming in the mail I believe I ordered...I never keep track of stuff I buy online lol

Well, thats my Denim collection...dont get me wrong I have some lose JBrand stuff, some Uniqlo Salvedge, some odds and ends...but these are my loves and I figure I'd share them with you guys since not a single other person I know loves jeans like I do lol

Any questions? Want to see a style up close in better pics? Want to see more Nudie items (sweaters, button ups, T's, etc..)?
Bash me, ask away etc.. just wanted to share!

Kerned

Banned
That's some serious brand loyalty, nice collection! I don't have any Nuddies, but they released a pair last year with rainbow pocket arcs and rainbow selvedge that were totally badass. I think they were a limited collaboration with some UK retailer and my size was gone before I even knew I wanted them.

yonder

Well, thats my Denim collection...dont get me wrong I have some lose JBrand stuff, some Uniqlo Salvedge, some odds and ends...but these are my loves and I figure I'd share them with you guys since not a single other person I know loves jeans like I do lol

Any questions? Want to see a style up close in better pics? Want to see more Nudie items (sweaters, button ups, T's, etc..)?
Bash me, ask away etc.. just wanted to share!
Damn that's a lot of nudies. I have a pair of dry tonal steady eddies which I'm very happy with. Have you ever tried any selvedge pairs?

Addnan

Have any of you worn the Levi's 510 in deep petrol? It was this stretchy material that I just love the feel of and to wear casually. I've worn that so many times in the last few years that they are beginning to get worn and out. I wanted to buy another pair but it's quite hard to find in the UK. The other 510 are not the same stretchy material. If anyone knows which Levi's are like that let me know, if any still are.

D

Deleted member 594614

Unconfirmed Member
Damn that's a lot of nudies. I have a pair of dry tonal steady eddies which I'm very happy with. Have you ever tried any selvedge pairs?

I haven't tried the selvedge yet, something about the heavy denim turns me off.

I've never liked jeans. Always went for khakis growing up, and still do.

But I was out with a female friend a month ago, and decided I'd buy a couple of pairs of jeans to try them. We looked at multiple stores for decent clearance jeans, but couldn't find much of anything in my size. Then we ended up at Walmart, where I got a couple of cheap pairs.

I know Walmart jeans are probably a no-go in this thread, but this is why I wanted to post:

When I finally tried them on today, neither pair fit. They're the same size (40/30) that I wear in khakis, and I'm actually between sizes at 39. Are you supposed to buy jeans bigger or something?

D

Deleted member 594614

Unconfirmed Member
I do it all the time looks dope. Just gotta have some material difference in your top and bottom.

Do you think there is anyone who can pull off a canadian tuxedo?

As long as you don't use the same material/look it works.
Black on black tho to me looks sick and works.

My go tho is usually...black jeans, dark worn in denim jacket...topped that outfit off all winter with a black oversized beanie, black scarf, black fingerless fabric gloves, black motor boots (wolverine 1k's)
Loved that look.

Kerned

Banned
Do you think there is anyone who can pull off a canadian tuxedo?
I do it all the time. In spring I have a vintage 1969 Levi's type III that I like to wear, and it's so old and the patina is so unique that there is no chance of it looking matchy-matchy with any pair of pants on earth.

Alright, I know this is a cardinal sin, but I need help shrinking some jeans.

Gustin struck again and, even though the size is the same as my others, this pair is pretty baggy on me.

Luckily (I think?), it's a grey dye/wash, so I'm not too worried about ink loss or anything like that.

I've been reading up and it seems like the only real methods are a long, hot soak, or using a dryer. Any thoughts? Don't crucify me.

Opto

Banned
After getting my tax return, I bought Railcar Fine Good's Natural Indigo Jeans. Photos don't do the color justice.

This thread intrigues me... don't know why I've never seen it before. I wear jeans almost every day and they rule. I'm lucky in that my work attire allows for jeans.

So, I have a question. What do you use your jeans for? In other words, do you have work jeans, everyday jeans, and then "nice" jeans?
I find I have a good blend of each. I find jeans are the absolute best when mowing the grass or woodworking and such, and I'll rock a tough pair of Levis.
Everyday jeans, I have a stock of various Kohls brands that are comfy and have large pockets. Generally loose fitting.
Then I have "nice" jeans. These are the expensive $40-$50 pairs that are often times darker and much better taken care of. I only wear them on special occasions.

Also, 32x34 is insanely hard to find on sale.

Any other recommendations for jeans under $100 (other than the recommendations in the OP)?

Any thoughts on Gap jeans? Express? American Eagle?

TheExodu5

Banned
Bought a pair of APC New Standard Petit cut 30". I usually size 31", and 31" was certainly a better fit from the get go, but I heard APC stretches a fair bit so I got them quite snug.

I picked them up for $240 Canadian while in Vancouvet. Not cheap, but so far, they've been the nicest, best fitting raw denim I've been able to find. Since we basically have nowhere in Ottawa for raw denim, I got them while I could.

Now, I'm not sure what to do about the length. Inseam on New Standards appears to be 34". I usually wear a 30" inseam. Do I get them hemmed? Do I roll the bottom? Do I just let them stack?

I might try to post pictures tomorrow so you can see the fit.

TheExodu5

Banned
Oh, and I did try Rag & Bone...they were actually $10 cheaper but the fit was nowhere near as nice as the APC. The denim also seemed lighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom