• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS 2016 Line Up By Nintendo Revealed (Verified Source at Nintendo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

3DS 2017 will probably be like DS 2012. Biggest games will be SMT4 Final and Pokemon Sun 2 and Moon 2, I think.
And maybe the 3DS version of DQXI. Though there's the possibility of Square Enix not even bothering with that version & just localizing the PS4/NX version.

iMax

The conversation was about cash reserves and you never said anything about market cap in that post.

Hence my post.

I thought it was pretty obvious? Market cap illustrates company worth in broad strokes. My point is that Microsoft has enough cash reserves to pick up both Sony and Nintendo with its $100B+.

GamerJM

Banned
And maybe the 3DS version of DQXI. Though there's the possibility of Square Enix not even bothering with that version & just localizing the PS4/NX version.

I hope this doesn't happen ;_; (I mean I'll get the import version if it does but still). I don't think it'll come out honestly, especially not if it doesn't come out in Japan by the end of this year, which I don't think it will. I could see both versions getting released on NX, which is the only way I could see a localization.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I hope the NX handheld is atleast digital backwards compatible with 3DS Psvita-Psp style.

I think that's pretty likely. Especially of the NX handheld isn't 3D. It shouldn't take a lot of horsepower to emulate 3DS graphics without a 3D mode.

Unlike the Wii U since the console isn't likely to be much more powerful. If the NX console is more powerful at all it should be able to render 3DS games sans 3D as they're nothing specially graphically and so much of the 3DS's horsepower goes to double rendering the image for the 3D.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I honestly don't think this will sell if it's more than $199. Nobody wants Nintendo consoles anymore, except at budget prices.

Lol, this is the new "I'll buy a Wii U when it's $99 and bundled with three games." Nintendo consoles have never been cheap when adjusted for inflation, so this reads like something that would be written pre-Wii after the N64 and GameCube hit bargain basement prices in not too long. SNES, N64, and GameCube were all powerful for their era and the early Super Famicom and SNES had a detachable sound module by Sony that must have been a pretty penny back in the day. I don't think they'll just abandon higher price points, because the Wii proved it could work. It could be $250 US, and it will probably be more slightly more if it can supposedly get ports of big Square Enix games like FF7R. $199 in 2016 is a very cheap console when adjusted for inflation.

bachikarn

I'm going to guess the console will be higher than everyone expects. The Wii, Wii U, and 3DS all came out higher than people expected. Not going to shock me if the same thing happened here.

Malus

I'm going to guess the console will be higher than everyone expects. The Wii, Wii U, and 3DS all came out higher than people expected. Not going to shock me if the same thing happened here.

The Wii U and 3DS are a part of the reason why people expect NX to be cheaper. Gotta imagine Nintendo is more price sensitive after those terrible launches. And ideally the new gimmick won't be super expensive like the gamepad was.

I sincerely hope you don't mean paying to play online.
If they do that they'll have to offer a lot more features.
I'm suggesting something like PS+...the original version, at least.
Something to convince owners to pay a subscription fee be it cloud storage, free VC games, eshop titles, discounts, etc.

I honestly don't think this will sell if it's more than $199. Nobody wants Nintendo consoles anymore, except at budget prices.

More than 10 million Wii U users should not labeled as "nobody", and Wii U has not even gone budget price yet. Even the PS4 as the best selling console has only about 3x these sales and the XOne don't even double these. At the end of its lifecycle the PS4 will have about "only" 6x the "nobody sales". Some should not forget that 3DS is the best selling dedicated gaming device in the current gen. So obviously Nintendo still has a big user base to build on.

Wether or not NX will be a success, the next gen will be interesting. I think some "new" names, like Apple, Facebook, Google or Amazon will enter the console market and will get a big chunk of it, and that will severely cut a good chunk especially from the PS4/Xone market.

maxcriden

3DS 2017 will probably be like DS 2012. Biggest games will be SMT4 Final and Pokemon Sun 2 and Moon 2, I think.

Sun 2 and Moon 2...a year after Sun and Moon? It's 2016 this year, are you expecting 3DS sequels the following year? Not at all to be rude, just wondering if I misunderstood.

Has any sequel or new non-remake Pokémon game come out that quickly, though?

Gens 3, 4, and 5 all had an off-year between sequels.

2002 - R/S
2003 - Nothing
2004 - FR/LG (early), Emerald (late)

2006 - D/P
2007 - Nothing
2008 - Platinum

2010 - B/W
2011 - Nothing
2012 - B2/W2

Gen 6 is the anomaly since there was a remake in the normal off-year position, and the "third year" which would ordinarily be sequel time was blank. And then there ended up being nothing else for that generation.

It's unpredictable, things could change though, so who knows. I wonder if 2017 would be too soon for Sinnoh remakes.

Pokemaniac

With how Gen VI is being handled, I'm not sure we can assume that a third version is a given anymore.

Unless the Gen "6.5" theory turns out to be true, that is.

Muzy72

Banned
Sun & Moon could totally be the only games in Gen 7. Gen 6 proves there's no need for a 3rd version / sequel and it's too soon for Gen 4 remakes.

Neoxon

Sun & Moon could totally be the only games in Gen 7. Gen 6 proves there's no need for a 3rd version / sequel and it's too soon for Gen 4 remakes.
I guess it would mean that the NX Platform could get a new set of Pokémon games sooner.

AniHawk

too soon for gen 4 remakes? gen 4 was a decade ago. they could have it next year and it'll be the same difference in time as gen 2 remakes and gen 3 remakes.

has anyone also considered that sun might be nx and moon might be 3ds? they did something similar with pokmeon mystery dungeon on the gba and ds.

Neoxon

too soon for gen 4 remakes? gen 4 was a decade ago. they could have it next year and it'll be the same difference in time as gen 2 remakes and gen 3 remakes.

has anyone also considered that sun might be nx and moon might be 3ds? they did something similar with pokmeon mystery dungeon on the gba and ds.
Which is unlikely considering how Game Freak approaches new hardware. They take their sweet time when it comes to new platforms coming out, & this case is no different with Sun/Moon. Not to mention the fact that Mystery Dungeon isn't a mainline game done by Game Freak. In all likelihood, we're facing another Gen 5 situation. The only difference here is that there's a chance that Game Freak could skip a Gen 7 sequel game & go straight for Gen 8.

Also, it was confirmed that both Sun & Moon are coming to the 3DS.

zeromcd73

Which is unlikely considering how Game Freak approaches new hardware. They take their sweet time when it comes to new platforms coming out, & this case is no different with Sun/Moon. Not to mention the fact that Mystery Dungeon isn't a mainline game done by Game Freak. In all likelihood, we're facing another Gen 5 situation. The only difference here is that there's a chance that Game Freak could skip a Gen 7 sequel game & go straight for Gen 8.

But have never began a new generation after new hardware has released. Since we know Pokemon and NX are coming this year, this would be the first time this has ever happened. This isn't a gen 5 situation at all. Black and White went on sale in Japan 12 months before 3DS released. Black/White2 went on sale a year after, but the point still stands that even then they didn't start a new generation after new hardware had released.

Not only that, GameFreak went to all the effort to make all of the Pokemon models super high quality to ensure they would be future proof. Seems kinda pointless going to all the effort to only be even later to the party than usual.

Coupled with the fact we got zero footage, I strongly believe Sun/Moon will be cross-gen or have one different version on NX/3DS each.

AniHawk

i think gen vii on 3ds and no nx version means backwards compatibility for nx (with 3ds). i think that gen v happened on ds the way it did was due to the ds being what it was, and the 3ds being pushed back to 2011 anyway. there was probably an assumption that gen v would actually move 3ds hardware, or that 3ds hardware wouldn't have trouble moving.

this is the 20th anniversary game, and i can't see gamefreak celebrating 20 years of making good business decisions by making an extraordinarily bad one in locking it to dead hardware. if nintendo's marketing nx, they can be marketing pokemon at the same time (and remind people about the 3ds release). i also think that if they really didn't care about hardware this time around, they'd have made pokemon z for this year's big game. instead, they're turning pokemon z into a movie and rushing out gen vii for a release right around the time nx is supposed to hit.

GamerJM

Banned
Umm, I'll eat my hat if SMT 4 Final isn't out by this December.

Atlus can be slow with localizing games. Also I was going off the DS's 2012, where Devil Survivor 2 was localized a year after it came out in Japan >_>.

That being said, you're most likely right.

Also, the biggest reason I think Sun 2 and Moon 2 are coming in 2017 is because I think Nintendo's basically going to force Game Freak's hand, because they're going to basically want to drop 3DS support by 2018. I don't think there will be D/P remakes because there will probably be more demand for Sun and Moon sequels than gen 4 remakes (gen 4 enthusiasm doesn't seem to be high enough right now). They also skipped gen 3 remakes during gen 5 as has been brought up.

Pokemaniac

It's less that it's too soon for Gen IV remakes, and more that releasing them on the 3DS when the NX is already out would just be weird.

I've considered the possibility that Gen VII is cross gen. It's not totally impossible, but I don't see it happening unless the 3DS's online features get a pretty big revamp. Despite NNID technically being supported for a while now, core services like the Friends List are still based on Friend Codes. As things stand right now, a game which bases it's online on NNIDs/Nintendo Accounts would lose out on OS integration on 3DS, which really wouldn't be a great scenario.

That said, even if they fix that, I just don't find it terribly likely in general. Cross gen would come at a pretty big cost, and it's on a Gen that is likely already somewhat rushed due to the timing. It seems quite likely that Sun and Moon spent a substantial amount or dev time as Z, since the current tie in media suggests that Sun and Moon weren't their original plan.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
With the things we know now about the fall line-up and Zelda on NX being very possible and also knowing how the western market behaves during holidays I think everything points towards the NX console being released before the handheld. The only exception might be Japan, but even there I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't want to take avatar advantage of the last Pokemon game in 3ds to the full potential.

Pokemaniac

Atlus can be slow with localizing games. Also I was going off the DS's 2012, where Devil Survivor 2 was localized a year after it came out in Japan >_>.

Also, the biggest reason I think Sun 2 and Moon 2 are coming in 2017 is because I think Nintendo's basically going to force Game Freak's hand, because they're going to basically want to drop 3DS support by 2018. I don't think there will be D/P remakes because there will probably be more demand for Sun and Moon sequels than gen 4 remakes (gen 4 enthusiasm doesn't seem to be high enough right now). They also skipped gen 3 remakes during gen 5 as has been brought up.

Honestly I think that it's pretty likely that Sun and Moon are one-off. Some of the wording in the announcement suggests that the anniversary was likely the impetus for the weird timing of Sun and Moon. With that in mind, as well as how Gen VI is being handled. I think that it's premature to guess that Sun and Moon will follow the normal cycle.

GamerJM

Banned
Honestly I think that it's pretty likely that Sun and Moon are one-off. Some of the wording in the announcement suggests that the anniversary was likely the impetus for the weird timing of Sun and Moon. With that in mind, as well as how Gen VI is being handled. I think that it's premature to guess that Sun and Moon will follow the normal cycle.

I'd also say it's premature to assume that they're one-offs :p. I can see the logic but I don't think it's likely honestly, Game Freak just has never done it.

Pokemaniac

I'd also say it's premature to assume that they're one-offs :p. I can see the logic but I don't think it's likely honestly, Game Freak just has never done it.

If Sun and Moon truly are Gen VII, then I'd argue they already have. Sure Gen VI had remakes, but with Gen VII likely to forgo those for other reasons, it would basically be the same thing they did with Gen VI.

GamerJM

Banned
If Sun and Moon truly are Gen VII, then I'd argue they already have. Sure Gen VI had remakes, but with Gen VII likely to forgo those for other reasons, it would basically be the same thing they did with Gen VI.

I just think that from now on gens are either going to have remakes or sequels. I think this makes sense, and it's sort of similar to how gens 1 and 2 were like before the remakes.

Pokemaniac

I just think that from now on gens are either going to have remakes or sequels. I think this makes sense, and it's sort of similar to how gens 1 and 2 were like before the remakes.

That's one way to look at it, sure.

Nevertheless, it is really too early to try to establish a new pattern. We really know almost nothing about Sun and Moon at this point.

Didn't Kimi say that the 3DS has potential for another lifespan in an interview or something. I recall something like that.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Rosti pls help understand
Earnings forecast, dividend forecast, and other forecasts are usually given in conjunction with the Fiscal Year Earnings release. The Fiscal Year Earnings release for FY 2015 will likely be in early May (but could be in late April). Analysts I believe get access to these forecasts a bit early though.

Neoxon

But have never began a new generation after new hardware has released. Since we know Pokemon and NX are coming this year, this would be the first time this has ever happened. This isn't a gen 5 situation at all. Black and White went on sale in Japan 12 months before 3DS released. Black/White2 went on sale a year after, but the point still stands that even then they didn't start a new generation after new hardware had released.

Not only that, GameFreak went to all the effort to make all of the Pokemon models super high quality to ensure they would be future proof. Seems kinda pointless going to all the effort to only be even later to the party than usual.

Coupled with the fact we got zero footage, I strongly believe Sun/Moon will be cross-gen or have one different version on NX/3DS each.
i think gen vii on 3ds and no nx version means backwards compatibility for nx (with 3ds). i think that gen v happened on ds the way it did was due to the ds being what it was, and the 3ds being pushed back to 2011 anyway. there was probably an assumption that gen v would actually move 3ds hardware, or that 3ds hardware wouldn't have trouble moving.

this is the 20th anniversary game, and i can't see gamefreak celebrating 20 years of making good business decisions by making an extraordinarily bad one in locking it to dead hardware. if nintendo's marketing nx, they can be marketing pokemon at the same time (and remind people about the 3ds release). i also think that if they really didn't care about hardware this time around, they'd have made pokemon z for this year's big game. instead, they're turning pokemon z into a movie and rushing out gen vii for a release right around the time nx is supposed to hit.
It's not just an issue of Game Freak typically being late to the game (as usual), but also a number of other issues. On top of the 3DS still using Friend Codes (something that was ditched as of the Wii U), there's the issue of 3DS & NX Handheld users interacting. Granted, the models are future-proof, but that just means that they can make the jump whenever they want. And given that the 3DS has a decent install base (albeit not as big as the DS's when Black/White were in development), Game Freak has the luxury to stay on the 3DS a little bit longer.

Rösti;197209064 said:
Earnings forecast, dividend forecast, and other forecasts are usually given in conjunction with the Fiscal Year Earnings release. The Fiscal Year Earnings release for FY 2015 will likely be in early May (but could be in late April). Analysts I believe get access to these forecasts a bit early though.
Damnit.. we might really have to wait till e3

RopeSnake

Banned

has anyone also considered that sun might be nx and moon might be 3ds?
they did something similar with pokmeon mystery dungeon on the gba and ds.

No, TPC would never do that with mainline games.

RopeSnake

Banned
Gens 3, 4, and 5 all had an off-year between sequels.

2002 - R/S
2003 - Nothing
2004 - FR/LG (early), Emerald (late)

2006 - D/P
2007 - Nothing
2008 - Platinum

2010 - B/W
2011 - Nothing
2012 - B2/W2

Gen 6 is the anomaly since there was a remake in the normal off-year position, and the "third year" which would ordinarily be sequel time was blank. And then there ended up being nothing else for that generation.

It's unpredictable, things could change though, so who knows. I wonder if 2017 would be too soon for Sinnoh remakes.

I think it's safe to say Sinnoh remakes will come out sooner than we expect.

More than 10 million Wii U users should not labeled as "nobody", and Wii U has not even gone budget price yet. Even the PS4 as the best selling console has only about 3x these sales and the XOne don't even double these. At the end of its lifecycle the PS4 will have about "only" 6x the "nobody sales". Some should not forget that 3DS is the best selling dedicated gaming device in the current gen. So obviously Nintendo still has a big user base to build on.

Wether or not NX will be a success, the next gen will be interesting. I think some "new" names, like Apple, Facebook, Google or Amazon will enter the console market and will get a big chunk of it, and that will severely cut a good chunk especially from the PS4/Xone market.

Do you actually think the PS4 is gonna end its lifecycle at 60 million or are you expecting that the Wii U will hit 15 million?

WiiU is done

I sympathize with supporters but come this new fiscal year New Nintendo begins

WiiU isnt going to disappear though so take comfort that itll get software well into the end of the year

You might be hard pressed to resist NX if the full support of Nintendo is behind it like we are seeing hints of

Could be ridiculous or could be a bust...

All the evidence you need is the recent revision for this last fiscal year

everything was adjusted down with both systems underperforming on projections

The transition stage is set for April

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom