• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50,000 women in Germany have suffered genital mutilation: report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely disgusting.
https://www.thelocal.de/20170207/50000-women-in-germany-have-been-genitally-mutilated-report
Thousands of girls in Germany face genital mutilation on top of the tens of thousands of women who have already suffered it, a new government report claims.

The study, published on Monday by the Family Affairs Ministry, found that 48,000 woman and girls living in Germany have been victims of female genital mutilation (FGM), an increase of 30 percent since 2014.

According to the authors, between 1,600 and 5,700 girls in Germany are faced with undergoing the illegal operation to remove external parts of their genitalia.

Most of the women living in Germany who have suffered FGM originate from Eritrea, Somalia, Egypt, Ethiopia or Iraq.

The number of women from these countries living in Germany increased by 40 percent between 2014 and the middle of 2016.

According to German law, FGM is also illegal when it is carried out abroad, in order to prevent parents from taking their daughters back to their home countries to have the operation carried out there.

Since December, German authorities have been allowed to take passports from parents whom they suspect of taking their daughters abroad to have the operation performed.

Fuck, I thought there were strict laws against these practices in Germany?
There are.

Im not sure how many of these were performed in Germany, though. The article mentions that the number of women who it has been performed on has increased, but not necessarily that every new case occurred in germany between the last check.

So for example some refugees or immigrants may already have had the operation before entering Germany, while according to the article some have been taken back to countries where it is legal to have it performed.

Messed up stuff.

Dirca

200w.gif

Raonak

Banned
Goddamn, cutting off parts genitalia for any purpose is really fucked up....

I wonder whats the stats on the male equivalent?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can't remember the statistic right now, but I remember this being scarily frequent in Egypt, and I wonder if people of Egyptian origin contributed significantly to this statistic.

Not

Banned
Holy crap. I hope they step up the punishments or oversight for this kind of thing still being practiced.

So what's ta the reason?

Is there some misinformed myth about health, or is it plainly to deny women sexual pleasure? And what to do with these parents realistically?

So what's ta the reason?

Is there some misinformed myth about health, or is it plainly to deny women sexual pleasure? And what to do with these parents realistically?

Basically there are awful people wanting to control the sexuality of others, particularly women in this case. It's done by some to maintain 'purity' and make sex/genital stimulation non-pleasurable or painful so they avoid it.

Anjelus_

FGM is fundamental to some cultures. Telling them is bad elicits a "Fuck you" response. Telling them it's illegal elicits a "Fuck you" response. Arresting them for it elicits a "But my rights!" response and pisses off others, who then double down on their FGM crazy.

Yes, there's reasonable people who will stop FGM and campaign against it. These people are immediately branded traitors & Westernizers by the people who will continue FGM. The more some integrate, the more others de-integrate and pushback.

Not every culture clash has a solution.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I don't want to Google this for obvious reasons, but what "external parts" are getting removed? And why?

Lamel

Banned
Pretty awful practice. I'm assuming the number is inflated due to people who have immigrated to Germany that already had FGM. I would be very surprised if it was being carried out on newborns at this level. It's an odd practice too, and seems to be mainly of African origin; I'm curious about how it started.

Lamel

Banned
I don't want to Google this for obvious reasons, but what "external parts" are getting removed? And why?
I remember reading that it can involve labia minora, clitoral hood, and sometimes even the clitoris itself. Apparently it's variable.

Lime

Some people will read this horrible news and think the solution is to throw out all the immigrants and refugees from the mentioned countries

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Then maybe you shouldn't have come to his defense when he was referring to GAF?

I'm saying it's not edgy to say people defend it in the name of cultural relativism.

Loaded with nerve ending as in if this gets caught in a zip I'm going to be crying for a week not like oh baby it's sexy time.

Again false, the stretching, expanding, and contracting of the foreskin is a huge part of what is pleasurable about sex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom