• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Movies. 50 Books. 1 year. - 2013 Edition

Wiktor

I'm in. But I won't go for 50 books. In order to reach that, I would have to pad it up with lots of easily read fluff, and I don't want that. I know it sounds elitist and douchey, but I try to read mostly Very Good books, and many of them are long and/or complicated and don't lend themselves well to being read through quickly. So I'll go for 25 instead (read 22 in 2012).

It's ok, not everyone is a fast reader. All this fun is about is increasing the ammount of book a person reads, as long as you achieve that, then it's a success.

Somnia

I'm in. I'm pretty sure I'll hit the books mark easily, but I doubt I'll even get close on the movies front. We'll see.

Ephidel - 0/50 Books, 0/50 Films, 0/50 Graphic Novels​

Please don't judge me too harshly for the probably dubious quality of my reading material.

Eh I wouldn't worry about it, what you read is up to you. I read a lot of stuff GAF would probably find stupid, but its what I enjoy and will post no matter what =)

Chuck

Still without luck
With the realization that I probably haven't read 50 books in my life, I'm in on shame alone! Worth a shot anyway! :)

Chuck- 0/50 Books | 0/50 Movies

After watching Django Unchained, I'm going to start with Tarantino's stuff, since I've never seen Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction.

SlowRevolution - 0/50 books | 1/50 movies

Books
  • Coming Soon

Movies
  • Looper

Couldn't fall asleep so I rented it off Amazon, way better than I expected. Not a bad way to start the year with movies.

EVOL 100%

Woo, update.

EVOL 100% - 2/50 books | 1/50 movies

Books:

1. I Have the Right to Destroy Myself - Kim Young-ha
  2. 아랑은 왜 - Kim Young-ha

Movies:

1. Adaptation

Woo, update.

EVOL 100% - 2/50 books | 1/50 movies

Books:

1. I Have the Right to Destroy Myself - Kim Young-ha
  2. 아랑은 왜 - Kim Young-ha

Movies:

1. Adaptation
The fuck...2 books and 1 movie already. Slow down there champ your going to get burned out.

Manik

Sure -I'll give this a go! Managed 34 books last year, and didn't really make an effort until around May-time, so let's see how it goes.

Manik - 0/50 Books | 0/50 Movies

Books
Coming Soon

Movies
Coming Soon

Suairyu

Banned
Today I start The Vampire Lestat. Only previous read Interview With A Vampire, so I'm keen to see where the story goes.

Ashes

Banned
Alright, I held off on reading one of my Christmas books until today just for this thread. I plan to burn through The Alloy of Law today, its only 260 pages or so. When I finish it I'll update this post.

Best not to... Keep updates for new posts... Unless you have one master post...

I'll do this. Movies shouldn't be too hard. I will never get to 50 books but I'll see how many I can end up reading.

vicissitudes - 0/50 Books | 0/50 Movies

EVOL 100%

The fuck...2 books and 1 movie already. Slow down there champ your going to get burned out.

Hah, the two books were both just over a hundred pages and the movie was for New Years. I'm not going to have the time to read or watch that much from now on.

Question: Do 'graphic novels' count? I don't read them much anyway but I'm curious.

Ashes

Banned
Hah, the two books were both just over a hundred pages and the movie was for New Years. I'm not going to have the time to read or watch that much from now on.

Question: Do 'graphic novels' count? I don't read them much anyway but I'm curious.

Depends on length...

This is an honour based system... So if you think you got the equivalence of reading a novel legnth experience, go with it.

mu cephei

lol

Do I really have to use the word 'movies'?. That's like having to use sidewalk instead of pavement, or, *shudder* panties instead of knickers.

mu cephei - 0/50 Books | 0/50 Movies​

Hmmm, this sounds like fun. There are a lot of books and movies I want to read and watch that I've been holding off on. Maybe this'll be the incentive.

Crewnh - 0/50 books | 0/50 movies

andrespi

Seems fun. it will be hard to do 50 books, but 50 movies should be easy.

andrespi - 0/50 Books | 0/50 Movies

Books

Coming Soon

Movies

Coming Soon

Laekon

I'll give this a shot. Movies will be easy and I need a little push to read more.

Laekon - 0/50 books | 0/50 movies+

Somnia

Somnia - 0/50 Books | 1/50 Movies

Books
  • Coming Soon

Movies

• Haywire

Watched Haywire last night, was much better than I thought it would be. Pretty excited to see how Carano does in the new Fast/Furious.

Ashes

Banned
lol

Do I really have to use the word 'movies'?. That's like having to use sidewalk instead of pavement, or, *shudder* panties instead of knickers.

mu cephei - 0/50 Books | 0/50 Movies​

No. I used 'film' in the last thread. Each to their own.

Son1x

Did something simillar by myself last year.

Probably won't get to 50 books, but it should be good motivation.

Son1x - 0/50 Books | 0/50 Movies

Mastadon

Banned
Mastadon - 0/50 Books | 2/50 Movies​

Books
  • Coming Soon

Movies
  • Mary Poppins
  • Up

Up is pretty awesome, my little boy absolutely loved it.

stupei

The movies should be easy enough. I almost always watch over 100 in a year, but at most I tend to only read about 30-40 books.

Going to be a while before I finish a new book because I'm actually in the midst of my first re-read of the Harry Potter books since DH came out. Maybe I'll read something new in between books five and six.

stupei: 0/50 books | 0/50 movies

daebo

Okay, well under way. 2 movies down (actually 3 but i've already seen captain america). I'm digging deep into Gun Machine by warren ellis. Feeling good so far!

Daebo - 0/50 Books | 2/50 Movies​

Books
  • Coming Soon

Movies
  • Machine Gun Preacher
  • Conan (remake)

Larsa

Started off the year with a really good book and a really good movie. That's good.

Larsa- 1/50 Books | 1/50 Movies

Books
  • The Catcher in the Rye

Movies
  • Groundhog Day

Top Bottom