• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

81% of Democrats support Tubman on the $20, 34% of Republicans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrew Jackson hated paper money. The fact that he's even on the $20 must've been making him roll in his grave for quite a long time.

Tubman is freeing Jackson of his long suffering just like she did for many others. Cause that's just how badass she is! ;D

To be fair, paper money is super shitty. You guys should join the 21st century and use polymer notes.

Should have gone one step further and put a Native American or another black historical figure on the other side of the bill. I mean why not? I'm guessing that many of the people upset about this don't even know that Jackson is still on the bill.

Andrew Jackson hated paper money. The fact that he's even on the $20 must've been making him roll in his grave for quite a long time.

Tubman is freeing Jackson of his long suffering just like she did for many others. Cause that's just how badass she is! ;D

This is such a great post!

Switzer

Should have gone one step further and put a Native American or another black historical figure on the other side of the bill. I mean why not? I'm guessing that many of the people upset about this don't even know that Jackson is still on the bill.

Wasn't the US Treasury Secretary talking about putting major suffragists on some bills? I think MLK is slated for one of them too.

Also, putting a Native American on the bill might not be a great idea. Let me preface this by saying I'm completely unfamiliar with America's relationship with American Indians, because I'm Canadian. However, even though putting an American Indian would be done with the best of intentions, it could still be felt as patronizing. It is definitely something that should be done with the consent and consultation of American Indians themselves.

Wasn't the US Treasury Secretary talking about putting major suffragists on some bills? I think MLK is slated for one of them too.

Also, putting a Native American on the bill might not be a great idea. Let me preface this by saying I'm completely unfamiliar with America's relationship with American Indians, because I'm Canadian. However, even though putting an American Indian would be done with the best of intentions, it could still be felt as patronizing. It is definitely something that should be done with the consent and consultation of American Indians themselves.

This is a good point, given that there's a very poor relationship between Native Americans and the US government, and how a lot of Native American figures are people who did not want to be depicted in general.

Hazmat

In addition to the obvious explanation that they just don't like Harriet Tubman (for being black and being a woman, but i bet the first is the kicker), they're probably also more likely to like Andrew Jackson. Either through not knowing about him or not caring. Not a great look when the best reason for opposing this is "crippling fear of change."

TSM

I'm not sure that's who I would have chosen for the bill, but I'm good with it.

is a 40 dollar bill really such a bad idea?

Marcy: Steve, don't tell them about your insane quest to create the 99 cent coin.

Steve: Al, I invented the 99 cent coin. Have you ever noticed how things cost $7.99? $14.99? $99.99? My coin will eliminate the messy change that only catches the attention of obnoxious beggars who hassle you on the way to your Mercedes. Think of it, Al. Anything you want, you just plunk down old number 99. It's a plan without flaws.

Al: What about tax?

Steve: You sound just like those fools in the Treasury Department.

Marcy: Well, dear, maybe if you hadn't have insisted on putting your picture on the coin.

Steve: Whose should it have been? Yours? Look, Al, you gotta see your dream through,

Buddy. All they can do is laugh at you.

Marcy: And audit you for five straight years.

Married with Children was the best.

PSqueak

Banned
Surprising numbers for each camp, didn't expect that much rep support and i expected dem support to be at least 90.

To be fair, paper money is super shitty. You guys should join the 21st century and use polymer notes.
If it were up to me sure. Unfortunately, I'm just a lowly factory worker who works 10hr days so you can have doors. My opinion means squat.

Only thing I have going for me is my vote. And it seems that's slowly, but surly becoming less relevant as time goes by.

nynt9

Surprising numbers for each camp, didn't expect that much rep support and i expected dem support to be at least 90.

I've seen some of my staunch democrat friends share this article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...harriet-tubman-and-all-women-off-the-20-bill/

Keep Harriet Tubman – and all women – off the $20 bill
Harriet Tubman did not fight for capitalism, free trade or competitive markets.

But I was hesitant to support Women on 20s’s goals from the beginning, and now that Tubman has been selected, I’m certain: There’s no place for women – especially women of color – on America’s currency today.

Harriet Tubman dedicated much of her life to subverting the system of forced labor and oppression that built America’s economy.

American capitalism historically has been used to oppress and disenfranchise women and people of color. At various points in our nation’s history, women were forbidden from owning property, married women were forbidden from working, and black women were restricted to jobs as cooks and maids. Even today, economic injustice continues in the form of unequal pay, limiting women’s ability to reach their full economic potential. For every dollar a white man earns from his labor in the United States, white women earn 78 cents, black women earn 64 cents, and Hispanic women earn just 54 cents. This isn’t a result of a lack of effort to rise up. Even with a college degree, black women earn less than white men without one. Single black women have a median net worth of just $100.

I do not believe Tubman, who died impoverished in 1913, would accept the “honor,” were it actually bestowed upon her, of having her face on America’s money. And until the economic injustice against women in America ends, no woman should.

Kovet

am i racist/sexist for not liking this? why cant we have someone like MLK on the bill? From what little i know of Andrew Jackson im pretty sure he'd hate the idea of being on a piece of currency but i dont think Harriet Tubman is relevant enough tbh.

Herbs

Banned
am i racist/sexist for not liking this? why cant we have someone like MLK on the bill? From what little i know of Andrew Jackson im pretty sure he'd hate the idea of being on a piece of currency but i dont think Harriet Tubman is relevant enough tbh.

nah just ignorant of the reason she's been chosen instead of MLK. And I guess ignorant regarding the importance of Tubman as a historical figure too. Easy enough to read up on both things and alleviate it.

Kovet

nah just ignorant of the reason she's been chosen instead of MLK. And I guess ignorant regarding the importance of Tubman as a historical figure too. Easy enough to read up on both things and alleviate it.

i have a decent understanding of who she was as a historical figure but i dont know the reason why shes been chosen instead of MLK.

Please read and educate yourself.
While its not extremely in depth it will give you enough info on how important she was.

k ill read this

Dishwalla

Banned
I bet they wouldn't resist putting Ronald effing Reagan on the $20 bill if they had the chance. It really makes no sense to oppose this move given Jackson's history. Sure, dialogue can be opened for a replacement, but if we were to apply history to the discussion, it makes total sense to add Tubman to any form of US currency. Opposition to this is baffling to me.
Yuck. The day Ronald Reagan gets put on money is the day I actively avoid having to handle paper money.

It's not that I don't support Tubman on the 20, I just think that the irony of putting a terrible person on money backed entirely be an institution he deemed in life to be cancerous to the extreme is too good to pass up!

But then, that was before I heard he'd still be on the BACK of the bill. Before I joined, my argument was for Tubman anyway.

Herbs

Banned
i have a decent understanding of who she was as a historical figure but i dont know the reason why shes been chosen instead of MLK.

k ill read this

Simple enough. It was a movement to address the lack of substantial female figures in our countries history. MLK doesn't fit that.

Kovet

Please read and educate yourself.
While its not extremely in depth it will give you enough info on how important she was.

i read this and its exactly what i knew of her already. Why are they even keeping Jackson on the bill though? why not simply swap him for Tubman? The article though is mentioning that they are gonna be adding a multitude of new faces on the backs of the 5 and 10 dollar bills. i think this is more appropriate, like creating a 'Mt Rushmore' of people with important historical value.

i read this and its exactly what i knew of her already. Why are they even keeping Jackson on the bill though? why not simply swap him for Tubman? The article though is mentioning that they are gonna be adding a multitude of new faces on the backs of the 5 and 10 dollar bills. i think this is more appropriate, like creating a 'Mt Rushmore' of people with important historical value.

I hope they put some non political people on those bills, like a scientist or an artist.

Appeasement I would say. Iv actually been trying to find somewhere where the treasury explains why they're not kicking him off and I have yet to find it. I agree with you I like the Mount Rushmore style they're thinking off.

If you known she did all that then why is MLK worth more then her to be on the twenty? What would have been nice if they could've done a Rushmore style bill with notable civil rights leaders on the front and back. Buts thats getting too crazy and might ruffle some feathers to the point they're naked!

Valhelm

contribute something
SCpollSG1large-816x281.jpg

Enough do

Jesus, that's scary

I'm definitely in the camp that was nonplussed at him remaining on the back until I assumed it was because of trying to pander to those who couldn't handle the change.

Kovet

If you known she did all that then why is MLK worth more then her to be on the twenty?

She played a big part of the abolitionist movement and the civil war but MLK was the FACE of the civil rights movement imo. I think someone like Lincoln (whos already on the 5 dollar bill) played a bigger role in the freeing of the slaves than Tubman but to me MLK was the Civil rights movement and his 'I had a dream' speech is so famous that it keeps him extremely relevant to this day. Simply put if you ask a bunch of kids who Harriet Tubman is i bet a lot of them wouldnt be able to answer (hell kids in my school couldnt answer who she was after doing an entire civil war section, like srsly wtf.) but i feel pretty confident that most people know who MLK is. Although i understand that part of the reason shes gonna be on the $20 bill is to raise awareness of her story and life and keep it relevant in the modern day.

Nipo

Can't we get rid of all people from the bills and put the National Parks on them? That would be amazing.

She played a big part of the abolitionist movement and the civil war but MLK was the FACE of the civil rights movement imo. I think someone like Lincoln (whos already on the 5 dollar bill) played a bigger role in the freeing of the slaves than Tubman but to me MLK was the Civil rights movement and his 'I had a dream' speech is so famous that it keeps him extremely relevant to this day. Simply put if you ask a bunch of kids who Harriet Tubman is i bet a lot of them wouldnt be able to answer (hell kids in my school couldnt answer who she was after doing an entire civil war section, like srsly wtf.) but i feel pretty confident that most people know who MLK is. Although i understand that part of the reason shes gonna be on the $20 bill is to raise awareness of her story and life and keep it relevant in the modern day.
Don't need anymore sanitized image of the civil rights movement or yet another portrayal of the consensus "good" black rights movement. I'd rather a reminder that this nation treated people as chattel for a substantial portion of its history and Tubman is a great reminder of that.

Odrion

Banned
Huh. The only stuff I've seen from Facebook conservatives on Tubman is memes like this:
I... Don't really know how to feel. Good I guess? I'll take Republicans liking her because she looked cool with guns and was a Republican (lol) over racist outcries.

Tigress

That's not how history works. Also, I've never seen a mention (besides this stupid $20 bill) that "honors" the man. I think everyone realizes he was one of the shittiest presidents. Tubman is a much better fit than Jackson for this bill for sure, but you can't sugarcoat history the way you want to.

Where was I trying to sugarcoat history?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom