• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Switch in Every Stocking

Deerock71

This would be my blowout ad campaign for the holidays. Offer an OLED Switch starting October through the end of December for $199 with a free Nintendo game of your choice. Walls would crumble. Mountains would fall.

Just musing. Then they could announce the Switch 2 March of 2025 with full backwards compatability.
Excited Donkey Kong GIF

THE DUCK

Banned
This would be my blowout ad campaign for the holidays. Offer an OLED Switch starting October through the end of December for $199 with a free Nintendo game of your choice. Walls would crumble. Mountains would fall.

Just musing. Then they could announce the Switch 2 March of 2025 with full backwards compatability.
Excited Donkey Kong GIF

I mean this might sell some units, but not as many as you think. Most people who wanted a portable hybrid Nintendo device already own it. Besides, it's 2024, who needs a portable with the gpu power of a toaster?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I mean this might sell some units, but not as many as you think. Most people who wanted a portable hybrid Nintendo device already own it. Besides, it's 2024, who needs a portable with the gpu power of a toaster?
I feel like you’re forgetting that children exist.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Nah. Switch is selling well enough already. But when the Swirch 2 releases they’ll probably discontinue the Lite and drop the Switch 1 to $199. Or keep the Lite and drop it to $99.

It still has power to sell for sure. Many families similar to mine I'm sure out there - 3 people in household, only 2 of them even play games. Yet for some reason 4 Switches in the house.

It just has that same kind of appeal like a GBA - you get one for every kid (and maybe adult.. 😆).

This. The kids (nieces, nephews, extended family etc) all play switch, don't care at all for PS5/XsX. Guarantee you could put one in front of them and they wouldn't be able to play in the same way they do together on switch, so quickly it would just collect dust.

Bit like my own XsX lol.

Dorfdad

Gold Member

Excited Donkey Kong GIF
Agree but 199.99 with Nintendo….Never I can see a new bundle for holidays but it would be switch and an old already packed in game like Breath of the wild / or Mario Kart 249.99

Would be like a welcome to the game bundle for younger crowds and parents who want to get their kids a first console etc…

phant0m

Idk, but Nintendo's 1P output is still better on toaster than we're getting out of AAA studios on our RDNA2 hardware

I'd buy a screenless console version with a pro controller for £200. They could sell me plastic shells (nes snes n64) at £20 a throw.

Otherwise I am awaiting a bc switch 2.

THE DUCK

Banned
Idk, but Nintendo's 1P output is still better on toaster than we're getting out of AAA studios on our RDNA2 hardware

Sometimes, but need more than 1 game every 12 months........I just am salty because I desperately want to see what Nintendo would do with modern hardware.

bender

What time is it?
Sometimes, but need more than 1 game every 12 months........I just am salty because I desperately want to see what Nintendo would do with modern hardware.

You are getting way more than 1 game every 12 moths and with "modern hardware" you'd be getting less than that.

daxgame

If that's true, both MS and Sony are making a huge mistake not having a portable hybrid on the market both in the past and right now.
oh they've realized it. That's why Sony released the Portal and why Spencer hinted at a handheld coming soon.
But since their brand image is tied to raw power they can't just walk back and release oldass hardware.

coffinbirth

Nah. Switch is selling well enough already. But when the Swirch 2 releases they’ll probably discontinue the Lite and drop the Switch 1 to $199. Or keep the Lite and drop it to $99.
I've been thinking about this for a minute, so I'll just slam it in here.

If Switch 2, or Super Nintendo Switch as people have referred to it as is indeed the form factor and route they are going with their next hardware, this IMO, will require a CLEAR delineation apart from OG Switch HARDWARE if they plan on having backwards compatibility on the table, lest they run into any similar Wii U debacles. If that means liquidating the OG hardware stock right before launch of Switch 2 or trying to maintain some sort of dual retail presence for a nebulous period of time, I'm not sure. I'm going with former as of this writing, days before knowing of ANY scheduled releases beyond July, lmao.

StereoVsn

Yep, full on Switch for $200 could sell quite well. Lite for $100-150 would do a lot as well.

Kids are a huge part of Nintendo’s audience so the cheaper they can get it, the more casual folks could pick it up.

Deerock71

I've been thinking about this for a minute, so I'll just slam it in here.

If Switch 2, or Super Nintendo Switch as people have referred to it as is indeed the form factor and route they are going with their next hardware, this IMO, will require a CLEAR delineation apart from OG Switch HARDWARE if they plan on having backwards compatibility on the table, lest they run into any similar Wii U debacles. If that means liquidating the OG hardware stock right before launch of Switch 2 or trying to maintain some sort of dual retail presence for a nebulous period of time, I'm not sure. I'm going with former as of this writing, days before knowing of ANY scheduled releases beyond July, lmao.
They would absolutely eliminate confusion by not naming it something as ABSOLUTELY ASININE AND OBTUSE as Wii U. Calling it a Super Nintendo Switch should wipe that confusion out.

Last edited:

Skifi28

These penny pinchers are not doing 199 with a game even if the actual hardware costs them as much as a cheap meal out.

coffinbirth

They would absolutely eliminate confusion by not naming it something as ABSOLUTELY ASININE AND OBTUSE as Wii U. Calling it a Super Nintendo Switch should wipe that confusion out.
You sure about that? Forward compatibility makes this weird, people are stupid, and retail is in an apocalyptically worse state in terms of educating customers, and let's face it that's still their bread and butter point of purchase. The Wii U debacle wasn't just in name alone that caused issues, and I see confusion at retail being one of their biggest hurdles, albeit not an insurmountable one.

THE DUCK

Banned
They're also making their exclusive first party offerings not-so exclusive any more, while Nintendo sits on it's billions of debt-free 'fuck you' money.
The Big Lebowski Movie GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

Ok....
Nintendo cash reserves: 14 billion
Ms cash reserves : 70 billion

I think both are OK to move forward.

THE DUCK

Banned

Here is a list of most popular switch games made by Nintendo....

Tears of the kingdom
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Breath of the Wild
Metroid Dread Initial
Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Mario Party Superstars
Splatoon 3 Initial release date:
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Pikmin 4 Initial
Pokémon Legends:
Nintendo Switch Sports
Pokémon Sword and Shield
Pokemon Scarlet
Super Mario 3d World
Animal Crossing
Splatoon 2
Zelda Links Awakening
Super Mario Maker 2
Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
Princess peach showtime
Mario vs Donkey Kong
Arms
Captain Toad Tressur Tracker
Ring fit Adventure
Skyward Sword HD
Mario 3d All Stars

Ok but out of these, new for switch (not regurgitated from Wii U or further) worth buying, the list gets way, way smaller:

Tears of the kingdom
Super Mario Odyssey
Breath of the Wild
Metroid Dread Initial
Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Admitedly the list is larger for some, but these at the heavy hitter AAA games.
It's been over 7 years since the switch launched.....so lets add back in a pokemon game or pikmin and you have your one per year. Also most numbers flush this out, the average switch owner buys betweeen 7 and 8 games.
Obviously which titles they buy will vary somewhat.

bender

What time is it?
Here is a list of most popular switch games made by Nintendo....

Tears of the kingdom
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Breath of the Wild
Metroid Dread Initial
Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Mario Party Superstars
Splatoon 3 Initial release date:
Pikmin 4 Initial
Pokémon Legends:
Nintendo Switch Sports
Pokémon Sword and Shield
Pokemon Scarlet
Super Mario 3d World
Animal Crossing
Splatoon 2
Zelda Links Awakening
Super Mario Maker 2
Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
Princess peach showtime
Mario vs Donkey Kong
Arms
Captain Toad Tressur Tracker
Ring fit Adventure
Skyward Sword HD
Mario 3d All Stars

Ok but out of these, new for switch (not regurgitated from Wii U or further) worth buying, the list gets way, way smaller:

Tears of the kingdom
Super Mario Odyssey
Breath of the Wild
Metroid Dread Initial
Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Admitedly the list is larger for some, but these at the heavy hitter AAA games.
It's been over 7 years since the switch launched.....so lets add back in a pokemon game or pikmin and you have your one per year. Also most numbers flush this out, the average switch owner buys betweeen 7 and 8 games.
Obviously which titles they buy will vary somewhat.

I appreciate the effort in a response to a simple GIF but:

giphy.gif

Deerock71

Ok....
Nintendo cash reserves: 14 billion
Ms cash reserves : 70 billion

I think both are OK to move forward.
And yet...they're too chicken shit to ignore the PS5 crowd. And Steam. Debt free and not being leveraged up to your eyeballs means something.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Nintendo has been releasing First party games with more frequency than Xbox and Sony put together. What world do you live in that they only release one every 12 months?

EDIT: oh, looking at the rest of your post in this thread, its clear you are a deranged console warrior.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Banned
Nintendo has been releasing First party games with more frequency than Xbox and Sony put together. What world do you live in that they only release one every 12 months?

EDIT: oh, looking at the rest of your post in this thread, its clear you are a deranged console warrior.

What? No they aren't, besides the regurgitated remakes, there is about one AAA per year the likes of Mario, zelda, etc.
Your dillusional.

Thanks for the clarity, and here I thought having a switch oled, steam deck oled, ps5, pc and xbox, I had my portfolio pretty diverse, but you sure set me straight. I must be a console warrior.

Deerock71

Ignore? They have a market to themselves, why would they go out of thier way to change something that is working?
Would that market be the CoD market they purchased, with a DECADE long contract they guaranteed to Nintendo? The paltry market that ignored the Switch ENTIRELY!? Yeah...Microsoft has Nintendo by the balls. 😃

THE DUCK

Banned
Would that market be the CoD market they purchased, with a DECADE long contract they guaranteed to Nintendo? The paltry market that ignored the Switch ENTIRELY!? Yeah...Microsoft has Nintendo by the balls. 😃

I never said ms had anyone by anything. Not sure why your yelling, everything is going to be ok.

Top Bottom