• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Active shooter incident' reported at Tennessee naval center

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I live in chatt. Was a few miles away when it happened. They closed up roads after I got home.

Don't know who the scumbag was

joedan

Am I supposed to accept religious people when I find the religion disgusting? Have you turned on your TV lately? The Christian majority is waging a war of words against gays and blacks. The Christian outcry over marriage is disgusting and you can watch several dozen peckerwood parades as those good old southern boys drive through black towns in their coal rolling Jesus trucks thinking theyre being clever by silently saying "Fuck you n*ggers" by waving their bullshit flag in people's faces.

Let's not even start with the religious fucks in the Middle East who are cool with stoning women and throwing homos off of buildings.

But hey, I'm the asshole because I don't want to accept religion.

You've got issues.

Special C

Yes, but I'd also distance myself from you if I found out you were a Christian, too. You might be an upstanding person but your belief system has a foundation of a system that hurts other human beings for simply being human. So yeah, I would have to cease being involved in that friendship. In my life, I have distanced myself from all religious people in my family, including a brother, aunt and two grandmothers. I literally haven't spoken to them in years because they promote Christianity.

I mean to be fair, if you had a belief system that made you think people were going to suffer pain for eternity wouldn't you want to do your best to prevent that from happening? I'm sure there are tons of "Christians" who legitimately are practicing hate but based on biblical teaching the motivation would be to help people you believe need it.

Jag

What does this even mean?

I think we are going to see more lone wolf style attacks orchestrated externally by Islamic extremists. Look at the number of bombings in nations with strife. We don't even make threads on some of them because they are so common place now. Where one bombing in Iraq or Afghanistan was a tragedy, now they are just background noise. Markets are bombed, innocents killed. Horrific acts. Just another day on the front lines of terror.

I think those front lines are going to move closer to more non-Muslim lands. We are going to see more like Boston, more like Charlie Hebdo, more like Chattanooga and we are going to see attacks that we probably haven't seen yet. Mass transit, utilities, malls.

Why is there any reason to think it is going to get better instead of worse?

The size of this thread is pretty telling, as is the lack of discussion in regards to the attempts in media coverage to humanize the murderer. It really lays bear how dishonest the complaints against media coverage against Dylan Roof really was. Can you imagine the reaction here and on social media had the New York Times ran a front page story with a headline like this for Roof?

Family Troubles and D.U.I. Case Before Killings in Chattanooga

Context is important, but really, truly try to think of your reaction if you saw a news article about Dylan Roof having "Family Troubles", and be honest.

Despite the complaints of bias, I never saw a single story about Roof that attempted to explain his actions away in this manner. Moreover, I never saw a single normal picture of him. From the start, the only pictures in news coverage used for him were the ones where he looks menacing in the Rhodesia jacket and the one of him holding the gun with the Confederate flag.

Meanwhile Abdulazeez has gotten much more flattering pictures to go along with the much more sympathetic news coverage which has gone out of it's way to downplay his faith and personal politics despite both clearly being the reason why he would shoot up these military personnel centers. I'm sorry if what I'm saying seems to politicize the case, but it really does need to be said. The difference in the coverage from other recent shootings is so stark: Cases like Chapel Hill and Charleston have major political and social implications, but apparently this case does not.

BeerSnob

So if the guy was legit ISIS, doesn't that mean he was a soldier attacking a military target?

While I know your motivation for asking the question, I'll answer it anyway.

It's a simple IF THEN ELSE statement.

IF ISIS Is a legitimate state and their armed personnel a standing army then yes it is a legitimate act of war which requires a full spectrum response strategy aimed at their utter annihilation.

ELSE, ISIS is not a legitimate state and their armed personnel are non-state actors attempting to achieve policy change in foreign states via sporadic violence then it is not an act of war but rather murder.

The size of this thread is pretty telling, as is the lack of discussion in regards to the attempts in media coverage to humanize the murderer. It really lays bear how dishonest the complaints against media coverage against Dylan Roof really was. Can you imagine the reaction here and on social media had the New York Times ran a front page story with a headline like this for Roof?

Family Troubles and D.U.I. Case Before Killings in Chattanooga

Context is important, but really, truly try to think of your reaction if you saw a news article about Dylan Roof having "Family Troubles", and be honest.

Despite the complaints of bias, I never saw a single story about Roof that attempted to explain his actions away in this manner. Moreover, I never saw a single normal picture of him. From the start, the only pictures in news coverage used for him were the ones where he looks menacing in the Rhodesia jacket and the one of him holding the gun with the Confederate flag.

Meanwhile Abdulazeez has gotten much more flattering pictures to go along with the much more sympathetic news coverage which has gone out of it's way to downplay his faith and personal politics despite both clearly being the reason why he would shoot up these military personnel centers. I'm sorry if what I'm saying seems to politicize the case, but it really does need to be said. The difference in the coverage from other recent shootings is so stark: Cases like Chapel Hill and Charleston have major political and social implications, but apparently this case does not.

Roof was blatant and public about his feelings towards black people.

This dude wasn't and nobody thought anything of him till now, a DUI isn't really that big of a deal and doesn't scream, "Holy shit this dude is a terrorist".

Much more flattering pictures.

Doesn't occur that there simply weren't many pictures of the guy and so they can only use what's available?

It's a shame he didn't take pictures of himself in front of an IS flag and have a manifesto up, but not every terrorist will do that.

Roof was blatant and public about his feelings towards black people.

This dude wasn't and nobody thought anything of him till now, a DUI isn't really that big of a deal and doesn't scream, "Holy shit this dude is a terrorist".

You're missing the point.

With Roof it was treated as an example of white privilege had anyone entertained the idea that mental health was a contributing factor in the killing. With Abdulazeez, there is little or no objection to similar speculation. In bringing up the family problems and DUI, there is a narrative building of a guy who was somehow depressed and/or isolated. The DUI and issues with his family do not add context to his actions.

With Roof it was treated as an example of white privilege had anyone entertained the idea that mental health was a contributing factor in the killing. With Abdulazeez, there is little or no objection to similar speculation. In bringing up the family problems and DUI, there is a narrative building of a guy who was somehow depressed and/or isolated. The DUI and issues with his family do not add context to his actions.

Was it treated as a case of white privilege before or after his videos and manifesto came out?

And how many outlets are playing up the family problems for this guy? Or that he was depressed/isolated?

Was it treated as a case of white privilege before or after his videos and manifesto came out?

And how many outlets are playing up the family problems for this guy? Or that he was depressed/isolated?

From a quick Google search: CNN, New York Times, CBS News, Buzzfeed, and the Washington Post have all covered it. There's probably more, but I think that's sufficient enough to show that this is not just a marginal thing.

What is your point, cause I feel like you're simply dancing around something you want to say.

What is your point, cause I feel like you're simply dancing around something you want to say.

You highlight my text and ignore my explanation for my point directly under the part you highlight. If you need it spelled out, here it is: The DUI/Divorce add nothing to the context of the case. We would not see a similar attempt at explaining Roof's murders, and rightly so.

It's just that, we're not demonizing brown people enough... or something.

Stay classy, GAF.

From a quick Google search: CNN, New York Times, CBS News, Buzzfeed, and the Washington Post have all covered it. There's probably more, but I think that's sufficient enough to show that this is not just a marginal thing.

And none of them mention his possible ties to IS or that it was an Islamic terrorist attack?

They only focus on his family problems?

Are you upset/annoyed they brought up his supposed family problems and didn't stay 100% focused on his Islamic extremism ties?

You highlight my text and ignore my explanation for my point directly under the part you highlight. If you need it spelled out, here it is: The DUI/Divorce add nothing to the context of the case. We would not see a similar attempt at explaining Roof's murders, and rightly so.

Because Roof had a manifesto, his reasons were clear and I still saw lots of suggestions he was mentally ill, loner, social recluse, etc that tried to wave away his real reason for murdering 9 people.

Stay classy, GAF.

Google Dylan Roof and drugs. Suboxone. Tell me you find nothing.

And none of them mention his possible ties to IS or that it was an Islamic terrorist attack?

They only focus on his family problems?

Are you upset/annoyed they brought up his supposed family problems and didn't stay 100% focused on his Islamic extremism ties?

If you're looking for a convenient strawman you can use to dismiss me, I'm sorry for not giving it to you. The only thing I can say is that you've abandoned any attempt to counter my actual argument and have instead chosen to argue against who you think I am based on your own biases.

Carnby

If you're looking for a convenient strawman you can use to dismiss me, I'm sorry for not giving it to you. The only thing I can say is that you've abandoned any attempt to counter my actual argument and have instead chosen to argue against who you think I am based on your own biases.

Nailed it.

I agree with what you're saying, airmanga.

I'm genuinely curious. You're fixated on news outlets reporting on this guys family problems and using it as an example to say he's being treated differently compared to Roof.

That's simply not true and I question why you're trying to suggest it is.

Do any of the articles suggest his family problems are the sole reason for his actions? Do they fail to mention his ties to Islamic extremism? His supposed ties to IS?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Because Roof had a manifesto, his reasons were clear and I still saw lots of suggestions he was mentally ill, loner, social recluse, etc that tried to wave away his real reason for murdering 9 people.

Seriously, Right Wing media tried to frame it as an Attack On Religion.

I'm genuinely curious. You're fixated on news outlets reporting on this guys family problems and using it as an example to say he's being treated differently compared to Roof.

That's simply not true and I question why you're trying to suggest it is.

Do any of the articles suggest his family problems are the sole reason for his actions? Do they fail to mention his ties to Islamic extremism? His supposed ties to IS?
Again, you're assumptions on my objections hiding something more sinister are incorrect. Your assumption is that I'm some right-winger who wants to see them play up the famous fake ISIS twitter message. I'm not.

I feel I have explained my position well enough, and you are fishing for something which is not there. The evidence is how you keep bringing up the false ISIS link, something I never mentioned.

Immediately on Fox News, that was the headline. And the amusing part of it, they were pissed off about anyone suggesting it was a hate crime. Ha.

Also, mental health and drugs were definitely talked about with Dylan Roof, and just because people on this forum were certainly fed up with that shit, doesn't mean news websites, and the talking heads on the big networks weren't having a go. So, please, stop with all that.

Exactly. Fox news ran with that attack in religion for what felt like days.

Again, you're assumptions on my objections hiding something more sinister are incorrect. Your assumption is that I'm some right-winger who wants to see them play up the famous fake ISIS twitter message. I'm not.

I feel I have explained my position well enough, and you are fishing for something which is not there. The evidence is how you keep bringing up the false ISIS link, something I never mentioned.

You've explained nothing.

You made some claims, got called on your nonsense and fell behind some BS argument where you try to deflect criticism of your original bullshit claims.

What a joke.

Fox News/Breitbart/World Net Daily/Rush Limbaugh are not "The Media", or at least not in the same sense as broadcast news or other peer recognized sources. Claiming that they are gives them legitimacy they have not earned, nor deserve.

Maridia

Fox News/Breitbart/World Net Daily/Rush Limbaugh are not "The Media", or at least not in the same sense as broadcast news or other peer recognized sources. Claiming that they are gives them legitimacy they have not earned, nor deserve.

What you're saying isn't even true. There was lots of coverage of Dylann Roof having been busted for drugs prior to the massacre. There was even a high profile FBI statement to the effect that he shouldn't have been able to buy the guns that he did due to the legal fallout.

It sounds, for whatever reason, like you're more inclined to pay attention to the nuances of this case than you did the killings in SC.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Am I supposed to accept religious people when I find the religion disgusting? Have you turned on your TV lately? The Christian majority is waging a war of words against gays and blacks. The Christian outcry over marriage is disgusting and you can watch several dozen peckerwood parades as those good old southern boys drive through black towns in their coal rolling Jesus trucks thinking theyre being clever by silently saying "Fuck you n*ggers" by waving their bullshit flag in people's faces.

Let's not even start with the religious fucks in the Middle East who are cool with stoning women and throwing homos off of buildings.

There are terrible religious people, yes. Distancing yourself from anyone religious, regardless of what their actual views and religious interpretations are, is extreme and intolerant.

What you're saying isn't even true. There was lots of coverage of Dylann Roof having been busted for drugs prior to the massacre. There was even a high profile FBI statement to the effect that he shouldn't have been able to buy the guns that he did due to the legal fallout.

It sounds, for whatever reason, like you're more inclined to pay attention to the nuances of this case than you did the killings in SC.

???

Did you mean to quote something else?

Accepting religious people? Like anyone who goes to church? I would say it's not the religion per say, but simply the demographics and social structures where people are. I live in Mass, we have plenty of churches where I live, a lot of them are welcoming to gays and even have rainbow banners on their signs.

It's not really much to do about religion, well it is in a way, but I would argue it has to do with social and economic demographics that push people to a specific line of thinking.

You talk about the south as it is now, but what would have happened if Reconstruction didn't fail and we were truly able to fix the core issues after the civil war? What would the south look like then?

The middle east's issues can be practically traced back to the end of World War I and the forcible collapse of the Ottoman Empire. The issues of today are from a long chain reaction of political events of the past really.

I mean, do you just walk around giving the finger to anyone wearing a cross? Cause that's kinda what is sounds like you do.

Ayt

Banned
To his/her defense, if you're going to fight against something for not being tolerant you should at least exhibit tolerance.

You know...treat others as you would have them treat you or to say it another way, practice what you preach

So he should tolerant of their intolerance?

Smellycat

To be honest, I am surprised at how the media is handling this case. I assumed that they would jump the gun and claim that he is a terrorist or at least paint the story that way. But it is refreshing to see them discussing the actual facts that we have right now.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
(AP) — A Kuwait-born man who shot and killed five service members in Tennessee suffered from depression since his early teen years and also fought drug and alcohol abuse, spending time in Jordan last year to help him clean himself up, a family spokesman said Sunday...

The claim fits a pattern of behavior by Abdulazeez that includes a drunken driving arrest earlier this year and the loss of a job over a failed drug test.

Abdulazeez had spent several months in Jordan last year under a mutual agreement with his parents to help him get away from drugs, alcohol and a group of friends who relatives considered a bad influence, the spokesman said...

FBI spokesman Jason Pack declined comment on whether investigators were pursuing mental health records for Abdulazeez. But FBI Special Agent Ed Reinhold told reporters at the most recent news conference about the case that agents were looking into all aspects of his life and had not yet turned up any connections to Islamic terrorist groups...

Several years ago, relatives tried to have Abdulazeez admitted to an in-patient program for drug and alcohol abuse but a health insurer refused to approve the expense, said the representative.

The exact timing was unclear, but court records show Abdulazeez's parents reconciled after his mother sought a divorce in early 2009 over claims that included physical abuse of both her and the children, and sexual abuse of her while the children were in the household...

A year after graduating from college with an engineering degree, Abdulazeez lost a job at a nuclear power plant in Ohio in May 2013 because of what a federal official described as a failed drug test...

After returning from his time overseas, Abdulazeez was arrested on a charge of driving under the influence in the pre-dawn hours on April 20. A police report said he told a Chattanooga officer he also was with friends who had been smoking marijuana. The report said Abdulazeez, who had white powder on his nose when he was stopped, told the officer he also had sniffed powdered caffeine.
AP via Business Insider

More details in the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom