• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Boyes Confirms: Call of Duty: Ghosts is Native 1080p on PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.
1080p doesn't really matter on a 8 year old engine...

does it ?

It does matter. If new hardware can't run a game natively at that resolution on an 8 year old engine than one should be worried about forking over 4-500 us dollars for something marketed as next gen. Thanks for downplaying though.

StuBurns

Banned
It does matter. If new hardware can't run a game natively at that resolution on an 8 year old engine than one should be worried about forking over 4-500 us dollars for something marketed as next gen. Thanks for downplaying though.
Is that really true though?

Why do so few HD Remasters run at 1080p/60fps on PS360? In fact, they typically aren't any more technically competent than PS360 games, despite the massively lower assets from a previous generation.

I saw this earlier today.

The way information is distributed these days: forums, Facebook, Twitter, MS are going to have a difficult time responding. Do they lay low or try to obfuscate?

Yeah, I first saw it on twitter before I even saw it on gaf. It was trending pretty heavily on twitter shortly after the announcement. I noticed a lot of negative gifs and pics floating around other sites with stuff like "you can always sit further back from the tv" and referring to the xb1 as the xbox 720p.

Atruvius

It's not just about the framerate, though. It's also about response time, the smoothness of the character's animations, how the controls are actually adjusted, etc, etc.

I ignore how responsive the current version of Shadow Fall is, but reports from the E3 build said that it still had the infamous input lag from Killzone 2. Even if that has been fixed by now, I very much doubt the controls are up to par with COD, which has always been top dog in this aspect.
I find it hard to believe that Shadow Fall would have the same input lag from KZ2 when KZ3 didn't have it. And I didn't really mind KZ2's heavier controls. It's totally different feel to CoD where you control a floating camera, while in KZ2 it feels more like you're controlling the character. I think KZ's guns are more satisfying to use because of that and the better animations.

As for Battlefield, I don't know if this will be fixed on the final version either, but I recall the 360 beta having the same sensibility both for aiming down the sights and for aiming from the hip. That's an indication that Battlefield 4 is a PC-centric game and that DICE doesn't focus as much on making sure that the controls are well adjusted for console gaming, whereas the COD teams always excel on this. The animations of Battlefield are also slower, it takes more time for the character to perform certain actions, there are miss inputs too, which is unheard of on any COD. Some of these aspects are necessarily better or worse, but it gives COD the distinctive fast-paced, fluid action that a lot of people love about it. It just goes to show that it never was "just" about the 60fps; so, the fact that now the competition has that framerate too doesn't really mean much for COD. COD still has its distinctive style, and none of the other big players are really following it.
Well, CoD is a lot more faster paced game than BF so it kind of makes sense why CoD animations are faster. But BF with its animations wants have some immersion with the player being able to see the characters legs and hands when eg. vaulting over obstacles. CoD on the other hand goes for a more faster approach with the player having invisible hands.

Jabba

Banned
Exactly. I can't believe how the narrative has changed over the last few weeks to '720p is fine'. It is worth considering though that the reason it looks so bad is because they're trying to optimise it for the X1 and don't want to make it even more difficult by adding in even more next gen assets.

As a prospective PS4 owner I demand 1080p/60fps from most games and in two years I'll be demanding 1080p/60fps from all games.

Yeah the 720p is fine is bull.

Yeah, I first saw it on twitter before I even saw it on gaf. It was trending pretty heavily on twitter shortly after the announcement. I noticed a lot of negative gifs and pics floating around other sites with stuff like "you can always sit further back from the tv" and referring to the xb1 as the xbox 720p.

neogaf is the anti reddit. our good stuff shows up everywhere else :)

neogaf is the anti reddit. our good stuff shows up everywhere else :)

No kidding! I saw a kid make a comment on some youtube vid about the COD 720p thing and he was adamant that the 720p rumor came from reddit. I was going to correct him, but I didn't want him coming to gaf. All reddit does is steal from here and 4chan and claim they are the source.

Nachtmaer

No kidding! I saw a kid make a comment on some youtube vid about the COD 720p thing and he was adamant that the 720p rumor came from reddit. I was going to correct him, but I didn't want him coming to gaf. All reddit does is steal from here and 4chan and claim they are the source.

Reminds me of a /v/ thread someone linked to me where the OP was bitching about the whole 720p business and how CBOAT is a Sony insider. It was painful to read to say the least.

Joking aside , information is the most important thing here. Although some pride might be damaged. I would like to be well informed, and aware than not.

StuBurns

Banned
To be honest, I actually wouldn't be so pissed if a PS4 game was 720p. It would be disappointing, but it wouldn't sway my decision to buy the game or not.

I think it's easy to say the '720p defenders' are just fanboys trying to rationalize, but as someone who's 'backing the winning team', I still think 720p isn't catastrophic. If The Witness was 720p/60fps, it'd still be my most anticipated game.

To be honest, I actually wouldn't be so pissed if a PS4 game was 720p. It would be disappointing, but it wouldn't sway my decision to buy the game or not.

I think it's easy to say the '720p defenders' are just fanboys trying to rationalize, but as someone who's 'backing the winning team', I still think 720p isn't catastrophic. If The Witness was 720p/60fps, it'd still be my most anticipated game.

The fact that it's 720p isn't the point. The fact that the OTHER VERSION is 1080p is the cause for concern. It points to a greater, potentially noticeable or game-degrading difference down the line in a couple of years.

Bgamer90

Banned
Hardware is a factor, but right now the biggest issue is API's.

I read online in terms of this whole topic that the COD: Ghosts was supposedly originally running in 1080p on the Xbox One but an system update somehow impacted the APIs causing COD to get messed up. Don't know if it's true; just stating it because you brought up APIs.

When KI cannot run higher than 720 what hope has a 3rd party game got at Launch!!

Well, there are a number of confirmed 3rd party games on the Xbox One. Mainly sports (at least so far).

I read online in terms of this whole topic that the COD: Ghosts was supposedly originally running in 1080p on the Xbox One but an system update somehow impacted the APIs causing COD to get messed up. Don't know if it's true; just stating it because you brought up APIs.

Well, there are a number of confirmed 3rd party games on the Xbox One. Mainly sports (at least so far).

which makes sense, because most of the 3rd party 3D games on the last gen of consoles that were higher than 720p were sports games. fighting games weren't, but we had 1080p basketball and tennis games.

StuBurns

Banned
The fact that it's 720p isn't the point. The fact that the OTHER VERSION is 1080p is the cause for concern. It points to a greater, potentially noticeable or game-degrading difference down the line in a couple of years.
And I'm saying that difference wouldn't upset me. I don't believe everyone who writes off the issue is being disingenuous, they could legitimately not care.

Obviously it's great that the better first party has the better performing console, and it's cheaper, it's a fantastic package, but the PS2 was much better than the Xbox, despite the Xbox being considerably more powerful. Some people really don't care.

gruenel

They were probably referring to the Cboat post.

KORNdoggy

Joking aside , information is the most important thing here. Although some pride might be damaged. I would like to be well informed, and aware than not.

there are a lot of people buying into the Xbone based on assumption and expectation though. there will be a lot of people who just...expect the games on the xbone to be 1080p, it's next gen, why wouldn't it be...especially games like COD which have never been graphical benchmarks and where already close to 720 and 60fps current gen anyway.

if MS turn around now and say "the rumours are true, COD is only 720p on the XB1" then it could potentially lose them sales. silence benefits them (and even activision) way more then honesty at this point. it sucks for us, since it's a pretty dishonest approach imo. but it makes business sense to keep quiet. for THEM it's best for people to find out after they've given MS and activision money, as upposed to before where they have a chance to either cancel or switch console.

OSHAN

which makes sense, because most of the 3rd party 3D games on the last gen of consoles that were higher than 720p were sports games. fighting games weren't, but we had 1080p basketball and tennis games.

I only have The Show 09, but I'm pretty sure that was in 1080p as well.

ElFly

Is Ghosts really pushing that much geometry and textures that the Xbone cannot render it at 1080p? Sounds weird to me.

PSYGN

Catch 22 honestly

If it can do 1080p 60 fps yada yada then it's no big deal because it's just COD and not very demanding in the eyes of the interwebz

If it can't do 1080p 60 fps... red alert. DOOMSDAY ya'll

Pretty much. I'm glad it's the former.

The number is 2 and both are sports. NBA 2K14 and FIFA.

Madden looks like ass and should be 1080p. NBA Live as well.

But COD looks like ass too, and we're here questioning whether it will end up 720p.

And none of them have confirmed resolutions.

3 if you consider Forza a sports game -- Fifa got confirmed for being 1080p right?
I must have missed the news that Turn 10 went third party.

Overall, there's a dearth of third party titles being shown running in the wild and these boxes come out in a month. But the dearth of information on XB1 third party titles is much more conspicuous.

there are a lot of people buying into the Xbone based on assumption and expectation though. there will be a lot of people who just...expect the games on the xbone to be 1080p, it's next gen, why wouldn't it be...especially games like COD which have never been graphical benchmarks and where already close to 720 and 60fps current gen anyway.

if MS turn around now and say "the rumours are true, COD is only 720p on the XB1" then it could potentially lose them sales. silence benefits them (and even activision) way more then honesty at this point. it sucks for us, since it's a pretty dishonest approach imo. but it makes business sense to keep quiet. for THEM it's best for people to find out after they've given MS and activision money, as upposed to before where they have a chance to either cancel or switch console.
I wouldn't say that people simply expect the games to be 1080p; I would posit that the casual market would expect them to be "the same or better than the PS4 version." Even if some casuals don't know the difference between different resolutions, they will hear from their hardcore gamer friends or Twitter or Facebook that one version is "better."

I've heard myriad casual gamers throw out the line that games just look better on the 360. This kind of stuff truly is a huge driver in what console the casual gamer will buy, especially--and here is the clincher--when the more powerful console is significantly cheaper. This price differential, unlike the GameCube's, does not stem from underlying sales issues at this point; at its introductory price and in the same launch window (very important) as it's competition, a significantly more powerful machine costs $100 less. People are all about getting the most bang for their buck. If you think that brand loyalty or general market ignorance is going to have a significant impact this time around, you should talk to Sony circa 2007.

TL;DR: casuals may not care about resolution, but they do tend to want the most value for their dollar. They will hear that PlayStation games look better, and this combined with its lower price tag will be a significant factor in their console purchasing decision. Brand loyalty had never been a significant driver of console sales.

Edit: only the first part of my post was directed at you, Korndoggy. I agree with your post; I was just offering a semantic clarification.

Bgamer90

Banned
I must have missed the news that Turn 10 went third party.

Heh, my mistake. Was talking about sports in general.

Overall, there's a dearth of third party titles being shown running in the wild and these boxes come out in a month. But the dearth of information on XB1 third party titles is much more conspicuous.

We'll see what happens. Should be interesting.

You had cases of EA games running in 30 FPS to meet the PS3 launch (even though they were running in 60 FPS on the 360), but the versions after were pretty much the same (both running in 60 FPS).

Interested in seeing how the second batch of 3rd party multiplatform franchises will be on the Xbox One -- devs should get more familiarized with the system by then but we'll see.

Heh, my mistake. Was talking about sports in general.

You had cases of EA games running in 30 FPS to meet the PS3 launch (even though they were running in 60 FPS on the 360), but the versions after were pretty much the same.

Interested in seeing how the second batch of 3rd party multiplatform franchises will be on the Xbox One -- devs should get more familiarized with the system by then but we'll see.
Agreed, I will be interesting. My guess is that potential frame rate issues will be ironed out, but I'm not holding my breath for 1080p, simply due to esram limitations. We could likely see a bunch more 1600x900 games than 720p. I think that's a very reasonable thing to hope for.

I wouldn't say that people simply expect the games to be 1080p; I would posit that the casual market would expect them to be "the same or better than the PS4 version." Even if some casuals don't know the difference between different resolutions, they will hear from their hardcore gamer friends or Twitter or Facebook that one version is "better."

I've heard myriad casual gamers throw out the line that games just look better on the 360. This kind of stuff truly is a huge driver in what console the casual gamer will buy, especially--and here is the clincher--when the more powerful console is significantly cheaper. This price differential, unlike the GameCube's, does not stem from underlying sales issues at this point; at its introductory price and in the same launch window (very important) as it's competition, a significantly more powerful machine costs $100 less. People are all about getting the most bang for their buck. If you think that brand loyalty or general market ignorance is going to have a significant impact this time around, you should talk to Sony circa 2007.

TL;DR: casuals may not care about resolution, but they do tend to want the most value for their dollar. They will hear that PlayStation games look better, and this combined with its lower price tag will be a significant factor in their console purchasing decision. Brand loyalty had never been a significant driver of console sales.

Edit: only the first part of my post was directed at you, Korndoggy. I agree with your post; I was just offering a semantic clarification.

Very good post! It spreads quick on the social crap sites as I witnessed yesterday after the Boyes statement. It could very well have an impact throughout the generation if the 720p resolutions persists. We shall see though.

Another point is that they both will have the same amount of retail disk games on store shelves at launch so the $100 price difference will be a huge factor. With Minecraft not on xb1 at launch right away, it gives each of them 10 retail games at launch.

You had cases of EA games running in 30 FPS to meet the PS3 launch (even though they were running in 60 FPS on the 360), but the versions after were pretty much the same.

It's really not the best analogy.

The PS3 had a complicated CPU architecture that when used properly allowed the overall system to match or exceed the overall performance of the 360, with it's better GPU.

The XB1 has a complicated memory subsystem, which when used properly will allow, for 32MB of RAM, a bandwidth comparable to the 8GB of RAM in the PS4. And this limitation in size may simply not play well, as more technical people have noted, with modern rendering techniques at 1080p.

The PS3 had a complicated CPU architecture that when used properly allowed the overall system to match or exceed the overall performance of the 360, with it's better GPU.

The XB1 has a complicated memory subsystem, which when used properly will allow, for 32MB of RAM, a bandwidth comparable to the 8GB of RAM in the PS4. And this limitation in size may simply not play well, as more technical people have noted, with modern rendering techniques at 1080p.

Does not compare. Because on paper PS3 was more powerful than 360. But on paper xb1 is still less powerful than PS4.

Meanwhile at Microsoft HQ:

mattrickps4on42yut.gif

Oh wow, who made this gif?

Bgamer90

Banned

Not saying it's a straight comparison but as seen with pretty much all consoles, games get better as the gen progresses.

Therefore I'm interested in seeing how much games will be able to improve over the course of the next generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom