• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After Death of 17 year-old, Is This the End of Duterte's Drug War? (The Atlantic)

Piecake

The tide of public support for Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte’s drug war may have finally turned. In a special operation last week, police killed more than 80 people in three nights, the highest death toll since Duterte came to office last summer and pledged to eradicate drug traffickers. And he’s kept good on that promise: While official estimates put police killings at about 3,500, human-rights groups and activists estimate that it’s between 7,000 and 13,000. Many of the country’s poorest citizens live in fear, not of criminals, but of police who are accused of committing extrajudicial killings. Even so, Duterte, the tough-talking populist, has enjoyed wide support—in fact, a poll last month showed the highest public support since he took office. But this may be changing after the apparent police killing of 17-year-old Kian Lloyd delos Santos.

Last Wednesday, officers shot and killed delos Santos in a special operation, saying he was a drug trafficker. They even claimed the young man fired a gun at them. Then security footage emerged that seems to refute this story.

In many similar instances, Duterte’s critics say police fire indiscriminately on people in poor neighborhoods, or target addicts, not traffickers, then plant guns on them to make it appear like they fired on police. This is what the footage in delos Santos’s killing seems to capture. Witnesses said that after officers grabbed the teenager he begged to be let go, saying, “Please can I go home, I have school tomorrow.” Security footage also shows officers dragging him down an alleyway, where they allegedly handed delos Santos a gun and told him to run. An autopsy found delos Santos was shot first in the back, then twice more at close range into the side of the head, suggesting he was executed. Duterte’s critics say this same act has played out thousands of times since the drug war began. But delos Santos’ story has struck a chord.

The anger over Delos Santo’s death even has Duterte criticizing police. It’s a drastic change, because he once said he’d pardon any officer found guilty of murder during the drug war (last month he even reinstated police officers accused of killing a politician who’d been jailed on drug charges). In typical fashion, Duterte had first gloated about the killings. “If we can kill another 32 every day,” Duterte said of the death toll, “then maybe we can reduce what ails this country.” Then the video emerged. Talking with reporters Monday night, Duterte suggested the video could be a fake. But with widespread public anger, he also acknowledged the police could be in the wrong. “Well, I saw two presumably policemen. How do I put it? Moving a person … ” he said of the footage. Then he added, “I cannot discount the possibility, as I said, in my reply that there is a possibility that in some of the police incidents, arrests, there could be abuses. I admit that.”

This is a remarkable statement from a president who has admitted to personally killing suspected criminals. But it’s uncertain if delos Santos’ death will bring about any lasting change in Duterte’s policy, because his actions at times have been erratic.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/08/duterte-drug-war/537612/

Security Footage (Youtube Link)

Raysoul

No, it still won't end. Duterte just siding with the victim doesn't mean he will stop the whole thing. If they really want to stop it, start with the big fishes, not the smaller ones.

BajiBoxer

Banned
His supporters have blood on their hands. Supporting the murder of so many of your own people. Disgusting human beings.

Keasar

Their (his supporters) opinion changed after he murdered (most likely) over 7000 people because finally one of these murders were caught on camera?

Fuck all the people who supported that crazy murdering fucker in the first place. They don't get to have a change of heart now. They supported his indiscriminate murdering to begin with and doesn't get to fucking feel vindicated for going against him when this crime against humanity is finally caught on tape.

They were seriously fucking fine with it, until they got to see it?

It'll do nothing.
The man is President of a super Catholic country and got away with saying he wanted to rape a Nun who had just been murdered. This won't do anything either.

Why would he give a fuck about a kid being killed when he's already neck deep in genocide town? I'm afraid to see what state that country will be in after he's term is finished (assuming he doesn't decide to go full dictator)

Raysoul

You'd be surprised that there are still people that supports the killing even after all the evidence, including the lack of substantial evidence that the kid is a drug pusher.

Fury451

Banned
What's one death among the pile of corpses they've already left in their wake?

He's anticipating the public outcry and saving face by seeming concerned; then business will resume as usual.

darkwing

KbzDoZ.jpg

just crazy

Their (his supporters) opinion changed after he murdered (most likely) over 7000 people because finally one of these murders were caught on camera?

Fuck all the people who supported that crazy murdering fucker in the first place. They don't get to have a change of heart now. They supported his indiscriminate murdering to begin with and doesn't get to fucking feel vindicated for going against him when this crime against humanity is finally caught on tape.

They were seriously fucking fine with it, until they got to see it?

Yes. Humans are pretty fucked that way.

Tell people 1000 drug dealers will die, nobody panics. It's all part of the plan.
But one kid gets killed, and it's caught on tape and they're forced to confront it, everyone loses their minds.

You'd be surprised how many people pretend to be morally upright, then shrink back when there's plausible deniability. It's part of why being a good person is so hard.

Piecake

You'd be surprised that there are still people that supports the killing even after all the evidence, including the lack of substantial evidence that the kid is a drug pusher.

I honestly don't find that surprising at all considering that is exactly what happens when cops do the same in America

Camwi

He still has most of the people believing that all drug users rape babies (I've read that shit so many times on Facebook from his supporters), so there's no way this one incident is going to do shit to stop the massacre.

Spacejaws

Right?

I was fine with 13,000. But this one? That's the LINE!

The problem is the public can rationilize that the 13,000 are exaggerated and drug dealers/users being killed is NOT a problem. The Filipinos I know do think drugs needs to be culled along with corrupt politicians. Anecdotal I know.

kmfdmpig

Fuck him and those that brought him into power and continued to support him and his terrible policies. He's unhinged as are his supporters.

darkwing

Witnesses said that after officers grabbed the teenager he begged to be let go, saying, “Please can I go home, I have school tomorrow.” Security footage also shows officers dragging him down an alleyway, where they allegedly handed delos Santos a gun and told him to run. An autopsy found delos Santos was shot first in the back, then twice more at close range into the side of the head, suggesting he was executed. Duterte’s critics say this same act has played out thousands of times since the drug war began. But delos Santos’ story has struck a chord.

the sad irony is, Kian's father supported Duterte

Tell people 1000 drug dealers will die, nobody panics. It's all part of the plan.
But one kid gets killed, and it's caught on tape and they're forced to confront it, everyone loses their minds.

You'd be surprised how many people pretend to be morally upright, then shrink back when there's plausible deniability. It's part of why being a good person is so hard.

A million's a statistic, one is a tragedy, etc.

Otherwise, I agree with the sentiment it likely won't end anything, not in the short term. It might unfortunately only really be allowed to develop into anything if and when Duterte is actually gone, and people begin to look back, wondering how many of the 'drug dealers' they excused getting killed were a delos Santos.

The problem is the public can rationilize that the 13,000 are exaggerated and drug dealers/users being killed is NOT a problem. The Filipinos I know do think drugs needs to be culled along with corrupt politicians. Anecdotal I know.

I mean, there's something to be said about just how corrupt the government was (and still is) there, and how bad the drug problems are there.

There are genuine problems that I'm sure plenty of Filipinos were cyncial the last government could ever solve, and were desperate to solve.

But yeah, if history taught us anything, this War on Drugs may make some people feel better, but it won't solve the problem. It's already made things worse.

Keyouta

This shit is so stupid, and isn't surprising at all. I know many of my relatives in the Philippines and elsewhere supported this murderer, and it's always very disappointing to look at the support he has across the country. I highly doubt this will change anything.

No it will not end it. I know the Filipino psyche and they will 'forgive' him for it. The the only thing stopping this train is Duterte fatigue.

Chojin

What was / is the drug situation like in the Philippines?

Meth use is an issue. However the main problem is where its coming from. (Eyeballs China)

No it will not end it. I know the Filipino psyche and they will 'forgive' him for it. The the only thing stopping this train is Duterte fatigue.

My wife's cousin was already all over facebook throwing whataboutisms and maybe the kid deserved it and theres more imoortant things like Duterte's opponents to worry about when the news broke.

TTOOLL

Call me whatever you want. I live in a country (Brazil) with more than 55.000 murders a year, the vast majority is related to drug trafficking.

In Rio de Janeiro, the police officers have to ask the drug dealers for permission to enter the "favelas".

I wish the government entered all theses places and killed all the drug traffickers. No remorse, no questions asked.

Call me whatever you want. I live in a country (Brazil) with more than 55.000 murders a year, the vast majority is related to drug trafficking.

In Rio de Janeiro, the police officers have to ask the drug dealers for permission to enter the "favelas".

I wish the government entered all theses places and killed all the drug traffickers. No remorse, no questions asked.

Thanks for this insight, Nazi.

Now back to your bunker, snowflake.

You guys in Rio are probably the only ones that can understand this situation.
So, if I could call you something, I'd call you an oustanding citizen.

I wish all these countries did like Portugal and decriminalized. The murders would evaporate.

Great post Nolan

see5harp

It'll do nothing.
The man is President of a super Catholic country and got away with saying he wanted to rape a Nun who had just been murdered. This won't do anything either.

To be fair to run of the mill catholics, the catholism that has spawned in the Philippines is some perverted strange fucked up voodoo version of what is practiced in the west.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
“Please can I go home, I have school tomorrow.” Security footage also shows officers dragging him down an alleyway, where they allegedly handed delos Santos a gun and told him to run. An autopsy found delos Santos was shot first in the back, then twice more at close range into the side of the head, suggesting he was executed. Duterte’s critics say this same act has played out thousands of times since the drug war began.

This part is really hard to read without getting angry.

Shoeless

To be fair to run of the mill catholics, the catholism that has spawned in the Philippines is some perverted strange fucked up voodoo version of what is practiced in the west.

I kind of see it that way too. I don't think this is going to be a turning point. It's going to have to get a lot worse, and might need to go all the way back to permanent martial law, a la Marcos style before the general population finally starts to collectively think "This ain't cool."

TTOOLL

I wish all these countries did like Portugal and decriminalized. The murders would evaporate.

It's not this simple here. If you enter a "favela" without permission they will literally shoot your car/you. It's like a parallel government.

We frequently see cases os tourists getting shot at just because they entered the realm of drug traffickers. It's just UNACCEPTABLE. Our government accepts it though.

Oberon

Banned

I can imagine that when drug traffic is such a problem, then just "just kill them all" sounds very appealing and like a quick easy solution Looking at whats happening the Philippines shows how badly that escalates. I can't pretend to know a solution to the problem though.

Thanks for this insight, Nazi.

Now back to your bunker, snowflake.

The irony almost hurts. I bet you wouldn't be too upset with his remark if we swapped "drug traffickers" with "neo nazis"

The problem is that's not what this is, the Police are using this as a license to kill ANYONE.

Top Bottom