• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 is yet to earn back its budget.

hinch7

Not surprised. Remedy of late has come across as those sniffing their own farts. They should go make art house movies or something. For me, they haven’t made a good game since Max Payne 2.
AW1 and Control was decent at least. But nowhere near Max Payne 1 and 2. The other stuff is fairly hit or miss. Mostly I find the games that go too hard on narrative, and less on gameplay are generally less interesting + fun to play and get more mixed reception.

Control was fun to play and had great level design for once in Remedy's career since Max Payne. AW2 was like someone wiped their fucking memories and shat into their brains at the same time.

They want to make their brand and universe happen so hard, they made a meta-ass game about it without even 1/2 the fanbase size they seem to think they have. It's incredibly up their own asses and it's a terrible videogame on top of it. Mind Place is complete nothing "gameplay" wise and level design and combat has somehow reverted to toddler levels.

BigLee74

The game is too strange. So far flung from the original Alan Wake, it threw everybody.

Some great levels, but a whole lot of tedium too. And those cheap jump scares will ensure I never play it again.

EDMIX

dammmmmmn thats crazy, sooo limited methods to buy it resulted in limited sales?

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Game that sold well, but not well enough to pay itself because of the budget

This game didn't need to be that big. Could be way simpler and chances are that would meet profit easily

Great game though

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Game that sold well, but not well enough to pay itself because of the budget

This game didn't need to be that big. Could be way simpler and chances are that would meet profit easily

Great game though
I think the lack of physical version might have played too, even though not directly through physical sales but it also give the game exposure being on shleves etc...
I know some people that used to love AW on the 360 and that weren't aware that a sequel was coming and they are the kind of guys that will probably just buy a game when they see it at the super market or walking in front a video game store.

Terrible game. I was very disappointed by the loud obnoxious jump scares, lack of combat, constant gatherering if crap with full inventory and bad puzzles. The gameplay loop consists of slow walking and puzzles. It’s barely engaging compared to other survival horror games. And the never ending Sam lake masturbation. I even liked the game before … he puts himself in every part of the game and that’s kinda almost fine. But the story is just trash. The new character is trash and the ending is trash.
And on top of that, they just port it to ps5 by slapping low on pc settings. No rt, no alternative solution, grainy war that doesn’t work and sub 30 performance with worst fsr2 this gen. And there controls are terrible on ps5. Worst dead zones and sensitivity ever.

I am usually not that critical and this game got some amazing setting, location forests and so on… but you end up pretending to be scared, pretending to be detective, pretending to be engaged. And spend hours listening to talking heads in your mind room.

I will get hate for this and I absolutely don’t get the critical acclaimed hype this game got… and I can’t sell it because it’s only on psn

I'm also pretty pissed off with the state this game's in on PS5. Image quality is terrible. They better fix that shit when PS5 Pro comes out!

Btw- is it really PC's Low settings? I'm hoping you just pulled that out your ass and that it's at least a mix of medium and high like most games ...because if that's true it makes the image quality stuff even more unacceptable!

Remedy has a history of making bad decisions for short term benefit. They got wrapped up in that 505 BS with Control Ultimate edition being a full paid game no upgrade path and of course the digital only/epic store exclusivity.

It sucks big time if this really hasn't made profit because that will guarantee their next game will be lower budget

Reactions: Isa

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I'm also pretty pissed off with the state this game's in on PS5. Image quality is terrible. They better fix that shit when PS5 Pro comes out!

Btw- is it really PC's Low settings? I'm hoping you just pulled that out your ass and that it's at least a mix of medium and high like most games ...because if that's true it makes the image quality stuff even more unacceptable!

Remedy has a history of making bad decisions for short term benefit. They got wrapped up in that 505 BS with Control Ultimate edition being a full paid game no upgrade path and of course the digital only/epic store exclusivity.

It sucks big time if this really hasn't made profit because that will guarantee their next game will be lower budget
I haven't followed much but aren't most Unreal 5 games mostly low on next gen (I'm no sure about that though)?

Fbh

I lost a lot of interest when I started seeing people say it's very story heavy and there isn't a lot of combat or action.
I know people tend to like Sam Lake, but IMO the narrative has consistently been the worst part of Remedy games for a while now. All their stuff for the last 10 years has a cool weird vibe but to me it always feels like style over substance, weird characters and situations that never lead to an actual engaging narrative.

amigastar

I bought it just to support Remedy, but i've never played it very far since i'm not the biggest fan of horror games (if you wanna call it a horror game)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Maybe they patched something but when I finished the game on release, it was just mostly lowest pc settings on ps5 with mix of few medium settings and I think high textures. There was a vid on it.
Fsr2 is/was implemented incorrectly after anti aliasing layer or something. Worst break up in motion of any ps5 game in my experience. I played the game on quality mode and none of forest levels (so half of the game ) were 30fps. It was 27-29 and had terrible framepacing. Also the grainy ssr that replaced rt is not really working. Most of reflective surfaces are just grainy.
The whole game got this dirty look to it.
But if it at least played well but no. Delayed dead zones from hell on these analog sticks

But it’s such a lazy port. Not that it would help the game…

I lost a lot of interest when I started seeing people say it's very story heavy and there isn't a lot of combat or action.
I know people tend to like Sam Lake, but IMO the narrative has consistently been the worst part of Remedy games for a while now. All their stuff for the last 10 years has a cool weird vibe but to me it always feels like style over substance, weird characters and situations that never lead to an actual engaging narrative.
Imagine the biggest vanity project of all the elements you just said you dislike about Remedy. Now imagine that vanity project cloning itself so it can congratulate itself on how fucking cool it is and then discuss how annoying it is that it still has to be a videogame.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Nah. The Alan Wake IP had 0 buzz to the mainstream in 2023. I'd consider it pretty niche.
In my opinion, by 2023, it had become a more mainstream franchise compared to when it first debuted. We're talking about a game that was given considerable attention at an awards ceremony considered the Oscars of gaming. However, it couldn't leverage this influence due to not satisfying many in terms of gameplay.

Terrible game. I was very disappointed by the loud obnoxious jump scares, lack of combat, constant gatherering if crap with full inventory and bad puzzles. The gameplay loop consists of slow walking and puzzles. It’s barely engaging compared to other survival horror games. And the never ending Sam lake masturbation. I even liked the game before … he puts himself in every part of the game and that’s kinda almost fine. But the story is just trash. The new character is trash and the ending is trash.
And on top of that, they just port it to ps5 by slapping low on pc settings. No rt, no alternative solution, grainy war that doesn’t work and sub 30 performance with worst fsr2 this gen. And there controls are terrible on ps5. Worst dead zones and sensitivity ever.

I am usually not that critical and this game got some amazing setting, location forests and so on… but you end up pretending to be scared, pretending to be detective, pretending to be engaged. And spend hours listening to talking heads in your mind room.

I will get hate for this and I absolutely don’t get the critical acclaimed hype this game got… and I can’t sell it because it’s only on psn
You are wrong.

Zheph

In my opinion, by 2023, it had become a more mainstream franchise compared to when it first debuted. We're talking about a game that was given considerable attention at an awards ceremony considered the Oscars of gaming. However, it couldn't leverage this influence due to not satisfying many in terms of gameplay.
I don't think its mainstream at all, none of my casual friends heard about it and game awards are still a niche gamer event

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?

Opinion: a physical release would've helped to bring those numbers up, I'm sure.
Physical release plus launching the game on Steam as well. Unfortunately, I guess the publishers and developers are going to learn the hard way.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I don't think its mainstream at all, none of my casual friends heard about it and game awards are still a niche gamer event
I meant mainstream for the gaming industry. I don't know about your friends, but many people interested in games would know about Alan Wake 2. They ran an amazing advertising campaign. Even kids playing Fortnite were aware of it.

Bite the epic bullet and put it on steam. Glad I got an uncompromised vision of a game. Remedy gonna fight very hard now to stay independent. Id say sell out the first opportunity you get Sam, this industry dont deserve it.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

The game was sabotaged in so many fronts, its not surprising at all.
Actually many expected it to flop because other big games were released very close to it. As a big fan of the first game I was a bit worried. Then it got great reviews, lot of attention and awards. I'm sure its selling a lot better than most people expected.

Last edited:

Jaybe

Terrible game. I was very disappointed by the loud obnoxious jump scares, lack of combat, constant gatherering if crap with full inventory and bad puzzles. The gameplay loop consists of slow walking and puzzles. It’s barely engaging compared to other survival horror games. controls are terrible on ps5.

Alan Wake 2 sounds like one of the worst culprits in the “cinema-like immersive experiences rather than being a fucking game” trend that is ballooning development costs and disappointing gamers. I’m so tired of them.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I haven't followed much but aren't most Unreal 5 games mostly low on next gen (I'm no sure about that though)?
Which Unreal Engine 5 games are running on low on nextgen machines?
Immortals?
RoboCop?
Tekken?
Lords?

P.S This game doesnt run on Unreal in case you were thinking that.

Except the recent news is the next Control game is going to be a live service, co-op horde mode type situation.

Which is, you know, perfectly within Remedy's established wheelhouse. /s
Please dont spread misinformation.

Control 2 is Control 2.
6492c2af238d1c4a6ab203c3_Control_2_3840x2160-p-1600.jpeg

Condor is set in the Control universe and is an MP game. (looks like an extraction type game or HellDivers 2 esc.)
64e4a5b575cac6677d2b2dd2_Condor_3840x2160-p-1600.jpg

Kestrel is a preimum game with strong emphasis on Co-op play, not set in the Control Universe (but might be now that Remedy owns the rights).....funded by Tencent.
remedy-entertainment-new-logo.jpg

If Control 2 is a Live Service or GaaS, then I'm out.
You have nothing to worry about then.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Those who said lack of physical/Steam version nailed it. Everything else is just pretzeling itself into “I didn’t like it, so it makes sense that it flopped”.

Bottom line is removing Steam from the equation and no physical were, out of the gate, sure fire issues for a game that was otherwise well received.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm not disagreeing that AW2 apparently lost them a lot of money. But is making a single player focused studio develop a live service/GAAS the proper response to that? For every Helldivers 2, there's a half dozen Suicide Squads.

I have found that developers are allowed to push their creative boundries UNTIL they make the move to multiplayer.

Moon Studios (Ori) specialized in making 2D Metroidvanias. No one said a thing when they made the jump to ARPG (No Rest for Wicked). There's a million examples of studios taking a risk by making a game in an unfamiliar genre.

Developers are seemingly allowed to do what they want as long as they don't cross the Ribicon that is multiplayer. I find this line of thinking to be unprincipled.

Remedy has been sinking in quick-sand over the last 10 years. I think they're allowed to try grabbing the rope before their mouth and nose are fully submerged.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Its too bad the game flopped digitally on Epic Games Store and consoles.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Which Unreal Engine 5 games are running on low on nextgen machines?
Immortals?
RoboCop?
Tekken?
Lords?

P.S This game doesnt run on Unreal in case you were thinking that.

Please dont spread misinformation.

Control 2 is Control 2.
6492c2af238d1c4a6ab203c3_Control_2_3840x2160-p-1600.jpeg

Condor is set in the Control universe and is an MP game. (looks like an extraction type game or HellDivers 2 esc.)
64e4a5b575cac6677d2b2dd2_Condor_3840x2160-p-1600.jpg

Kestrel is a preimum game with strong emphasis on Co-op play, not set in the Control Universe (but might be now that Remedy owns the rights).....funded by Tencent.
remedy-entertainment-new-logo.jpg

You have nothing to worry about then.
As I said I haven't followed much but immortals was in low I think ...And fuck I did a quick Google search and lots of them were saying it was unreal 5 ... Nevermind my post then I thought it might be an explanation.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Let's be honest here: The reason game hasn't made its money back isn't because it's not on steam, or because there isn't a physical release. It's not because of Saga Anderson, or because it's an investigation / puzzle game. The reason it's selling bad is:

Is because Barry isnt in the game

AW1 and Control was decent at least. But nowhere near Max Payne 1 and 2. The other stuff is fairly hit or miss. Mostly I find the games that go too hard on narrative, and less on gameplay are generally less interesting + fun to play and get more mixed reception.
I really didn’t enjoy AW1 and control had good art direction and graphics however, the story was poor. I also didn’t enjoy the gameplay of control despite the cool physics and particles. The thing about Remedy is that the stories have gotten way too artsy fartsy over time but the gameplay has become less fun. With the stories they’re now writing, they limit their addressable audience. If they want to continue to exist, maybe they should transition to movies or change the direction of the projects. For me, it’s only a matter of time till they close down.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Anecdotally, I'd say the absence of Steam was a bigger hinderance than no physical release. Outside of GAF or gaming subreddits, I don't actually know a single person who still buys physical (some that buy collectors editions, though).

SnapShot

The thing about Remedy is that the stories have gotten way too artsy fartsy over time but the gameplay has become less fun. With the stories they’re now writing, they limit their addressable audience.
Remedy is one of the few developers able to make creative engaging gameplay with Blockbuster Triple-A-ish presentation tbh

Max Payne = Bullet time
Alan Wake = Light Burn Darkness
Quantum Break = Time Manipulation powers
Control = Flying and Teleknetic Powers and Physics and more open level design
Alan Wake 2 = Control meets Alan Wake with Survival Horror (no superpowers obviously but still)

Last edited:
Top Bottom