• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD: PlayStation 4 supports hUMA, Xbox One does not

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
There is no way a professional from AMD would publicly put down a product they are manufacturing for a customer. They would get sacked.
Why are they putting it down? If hUMA really is out for the Xbone, then all Marc Diana is doing is stating facts.

If this isn't true, then the Marc Diana is talking shit and should be corrected.

And heise is the most respected IT website in Germany. They have no equal.

strata8

I think that Cerny said they worked with AMD to customize their HSA tech for the PS4. Thus, hUMA along with the Onion and Garlic buses were probably part of this customization.
Garlic and Onion are standard AMD APU components and have been there since Llano and Brazos in 2011. Not sure about Garlic+.

JP

There is no way a professional from AMD would publicly put down a product they are manufacturing for a customer. They would get sacked.
They aren't doing that though are they? What it sounds like they're doing to me is that they're upselling a forthcoming technology that will be on general use next year. There is no reason for them not to talk about that technology when asked about it.

GDDR5 doesn't have inherently higher latencies than DDR3. It's all a matter of how the memory controller is setup to work, and those factors are different for CPU/GPU. That's why PS4 has multiple pathways (or "access modes" although not technically correct).
Well, that's good to know. I thought that the GDDR5 was slower than the DDR3. It still will have much higher latencies in comparison to the 32MB eSRAM, but if we take 1080p in consideration, then those 32MB of eSRAM won't be as effective (in terms of space) as if games were rendered at 720p.

Garlic and Onion are standard AMD APU components and have been there since Llano and Brazos in 2011. Not sure about Garlic+.

You mean Onion+. Not Garlic+.
h3e67FC.png

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
They aren't doing that though are they? What it sounds like they're doing to me is that they're upselling a forthcoming technology that will be on general use next year. There is no reason for them not to talk about that technology when asked about it.

This specific line from the OP:-

This should put the 3D-performance of PlayStation 4 much farther ahead of Xbox One than many have expected so far

Which looks like it's being attributed to the AMD guy. There is no way someone from AMD would publicly say that. I believe that line to be created by the author and not the AMD guy.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Which looks like it's being attributed to the AMD guy. There is no way someone from AMD would publicly say that. I believe that line to be created by the author and not the AMD guy.
There is no attribution in the original past the fact that it was said that Xbox One doesn't have hUMA while PS4 does. There are not even quotation marks attributed to Marc Diana at any point, nor any insinuation that he said anything in that article verbatim.

DeviantBoi

There is no doubt in my mind that PS4 is more powerful then Xbox One. Let's get that out of the way.

I think your translation is a accurate one. I just think the way the article was written was misleading. Mixing the interviewer and interviewees responses in the article.

Companies that work with Microsoft usually end with a lot of sour grapes.

Biker19

Banned
At this point I think some here would probably commit suicide if they couldn't go another day without dick waving. :) But the games on both machines tell a different story. There's no huge jump from one to the other. Both machines look like they could easily pull off the same visuals should their exclusives ever trade places.

You can't judge a console's power based off of launch titles, silly.

There is no doubt in my mind that PS4 is more powerful then Xbox One. Let's get that out of the way.

I think your translation is a accurate one. I just think the way the article was written was misleading. Mixing the interviewer and interviewees responses in the article.

AMD is pushing hUMA as the future of the industry. They see hUMA APUs as their main advantage over intel. It makes perfect sense that they would talk up the PS4 APU.

Krakn3Dfx

If a post on Giantbomb is reliable, AMD Global Support is actively denying this, at least in as far as anything is confirmed or quoted by Diana:

Your service request :

Response and Service Request History:

It's not as much that he was misquoted as much as he wasn't quoted at all. You can see the report at http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meld...et-Unified-Memory-Xbox-One-nicht-1939716.html , which everyone has been quoting, but there is no quote from Marc Diana here, it is either in need of confirmation (which is unlikely, since we cannot confirm hardware functionality for other companies), or is just a misinterpretation of the information given to the writer. If there was a quote there we could analyze it further, but they don't have any sort of exact quote, so I am pretty sure that they just tried to draw some conclusions (IE Kaveri supports hUMA, and Kaveri is coming out at the same time as the PS4, so PS4 supports hUMA, which is erroneous as any chip used by Playstation will be custom-made to their specs, and isn't a Kaveri chip).

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
There is no attribution in the original past the fact that it was said that Xbox One doesn't have hUMA while PS4 does. There are not even quotation marks attributed to Marc Diana at any point, nor any insinuation that he said anything in that article verbatim.

It might be that Marc Diana separately said that (a) PS4 has hUMA, XB1 not and (b) that hUMA leads to performance increases. The author might put have that together.

KingJ2002

Interesting... with this said i'm curious to see what comes out of it. Every generation there is a new promise of a game changer thanks to some new technology that ends up not being utilized for many reasons:

Lazy Developers
Porting Issues
Console Market Share
etc.

I'm curious to see what a game utilizing the full strengths for the PS4 looks like and the delta between the Xbox One & Wii U (if it still exists on the market)... but i'm not going to hold my breath either.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Finally.

Your service request :

Response and Service Request History:

It's not as much that he was misquoted as much as he wasn't quoted at all. You can see the report at http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldu...t-1939716.html , which everyone has been quoting, but there is no quote from Marc Diana here, it is either in need of confirmation (which is unlikely, since we cannot confirm hardware functionality for other companies), or is just a misinterpretation of the information given to the writer. If there was a quote there we could analyze it further, but they don't have any sort of exact quote, so I am pretty sure that they just tried to draw some conclusions (IE Kaveri supports hUMA, and Kaveri is coming out at the same time as the PS4, so PS4 supports hUMA, which is erroneous as any chip used by Playstation will be custom-made to their specs, and isn't a Kaveri chip).

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

It's what I've said right through this thread. The guy from AMD did not say the things in the OP.

MoneyHats

Banned
Why did Sony use those names? there's nothing secret about Onion and Garlic sauce :p

Software developers are the true test of hardware performance. AMD spoke up a storm about their Bulldozer architecture and IBM marketers would sell you a bridge (Probably easier than selling you CELL at this point) but what truly matters is what developers say and the result from actual games. We'll see.

Biker19

Banned
Their console was built for a different business plan. With the amount of stuff they've backtracked/reversed on, postponing the Xbox One launch definitely has/had to be on the table. Higher cost for lower performance isn't a good look.

This. You're just spending an extra $100 on something that isn't even relevant anymore (Kinect).

That's what I'm thinking. And on top of that, wasn't the PS3 more powerful than the 360? But most multi platform games were developed on the 360 and ported to PS3, right? So at the end of the day rarely did a PS3 multi platform game look better than the 360 version. In fact, a lot of times I believe the 360 version looked better!!

If the Xbox One gets out to a decent lead I'm sure that will be the lead platform for many third parties and thus you will not see much of a difference in multiplatform games. First party games may be a different story, but there are only a handful of first party games on the PS3 that looked better than anything on the 360.

LOL, good luck with that. 3rd party developers want to get the most graphics out of their games nowadays.

Plus the only reason why most PS3 versions of games weren't more superior than Xbox 360 versions of games was because it's very complicated to develop for, due to the cell architecture.

Metfanant

Finally.

It's what I've said right through this thread. The guy from AMD did not say the things in the OP.

But that says nothing about them stating that the PS4's APU was the most powerful they have ever produced...

Considering they also produced the Xbone's GPU...that's a clear connect the dots situation...

Honestly, that email sounds like a typical PR response...somebody on the show floor said something off the record that they should not have said publicly..now CS/PR has to clean up his mess and downplay it because they don't want to offend their OTHER customers...

I wish we could finally get some defintive word on how much more powerful the PS4 is than the XB1.

The word is all over the map from like twice or more as powerful, down to like a rather meager 20% difference.

Any ideas?

Mark Cerney:

"First, we added another bus to the GPU that allows it to read directly from system memory or write directly to system memory, bypassing its own L1 and L2 caches. As a result, if the data that's being passed back and forth between CPU and GPU is small, you don't have issues with synchronization between them anymore. And by small, I just mean small in next-gen terms. We can pass almost 20 gigabytes a second down that bus. That's not very small in today’s terms -- it’s larger than the PCIe on most PCs!

"Next, to support the case where you want to use the GPU L2 cache simultaneously for both graphics processing and asynchronous compute, we have added a bit in the tags of the cache lines, we call it the 'volatile' bit. You can then selectively mark all accesses by compute as 'volatile,' and when it's time for compute to read from system memory, it can invalidate, selectively, the lines it uses in the L2. When it comes time to write back the results, it can write back selectively the lines that it uses. This innovation allows compute to use the GPU L2 cache and perform the required operations without significantly impacting the graphics operations going on at the same time -- in other words, it radically reduces the overhead of running compute and graphics together on the GPU."

Does the XB1 have an extra memory bus on the GPU?

cyberheater

But that says nothing about them stating that the PS4's APU was the most powerful they have ever produced...

Considering they also produced the Xbone's GPU...that's a clear connect the dots situation...

Honestly, that email sounds like a typical PR response...somebody on the show floor said something off the record that they should not have said publicly..now CS/PR has to clean up his mess and downplay it because they don't want to offend their OTHER customers...

I don't care anything about that. I have stated that the words attributed to the AMD guy in the OP's article were wrong.
It appears I was right.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Finally.

The customer service person isn't saying that. Just that the article does not carry a direct quote so there's nothing for them to say about it/confirm/deny. And that even if there was something to confirm or deny - a direct quote - they wouldn't be able to do it because it's not policy to talk about client hardware.

Basically if you trust that the writer had this conversation and the information he relays reflects their conversation accurately, then Mark Diana put his foot in it, PR wise. Which is obvious since appearing to endorse one or other client over the other, annoying one client, probably isn't a bright idea, and other AMD reps aren't going to add fuel to the fire.

rinemy

Banned
Doesn't matter how good the GPU is if the only exclusives they make for their console are indie games.
Go PC for the rest.

cyberheater

The customer service person isn't saying that. Just that the article does not carry a direct quote so there's nothing for them to say about it/confirm/deny. And that even if there was something to confirm or deny - a direct quote - they wouldn't be able to do it because it's not policy to talk about client hardware.

Basically if you trust that the writer had this conversation and the information he relays reflects their conversation accurately, then Mark Diana put his foot in it, PR wise. Which is obvious since appearing to endorse one or other client over the other, annoying one client, probably isn't a bright idea, and other AMD reps aren't going to add fuel to the fire.

I believe that writer got it wrong. Plain and simple.

Also in this statement:-

If there was a quote there we could analyze it further, but they don't have any sort of exact quote, so I am pretty sure that they just tried to draw some conclusions (IE Kaveri supports hUMA, and Kaveri is coming out at the same time as the PS4, so PS4 supports hUMA, which is erroneous as any chip used by Playstation will be custom-made to their specs, and isn't a Kaveri chip).

AMD states that PS4 doesn't even support hUMA. So what the hell is this thread all about.

JP

This specific line from the OP:-

Yeah, I do understand what you're saying but I just don't see it the same way you do. Yes he is saying that it does give the PS4 the advantage when it comes to 3D graphics (polygons etc) and he's attributing that to hUMA.

From what I understand of the translated text he hasn't mentioned anything about the extra CUs, the additional ROPs, etc of the PS4 but he's talked specifically about the advantage that he feels hUMA gives the PS4 over the Xbox.

I'm not in any saying you're wrong but I think we just see it differently.

Top Bottom