• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD RX 6000 'Big Navi' GPU Event | 10/28/2020 @ 12PM EST/9AM PST/4PM UK

Md Ray

It's the first time I'm hearing about it too. It seems like they are now starting their campaign regarding their 'fancy' features, including ray tracing.
Tbh, RT shadows in that game barely look any better than classic shadow maps. My guess is that it's not worth including on consoles for what's likely going to come at a huge perf cost.

Last edited:

Not sure if this has been posted yet. I'm really contemplating on just waiting for the 40XX and 7X00 series before an upgrade at this point. Things will be matured by then, or current gpu's will be even cheaper.

Bolivar687

Banned
COOLING NERD ALERT

Oh ok thats only a 6800xt. Holy shit.

I just checked the Fury X and turns out it was only 270w... strange, I always thought it was a lot more than that.

Anyway, I was secretly hoping for an AIO model but I already have a 240mm radiator as a top exhaust. The Fury X worked nice as a rear exhaust, so I was hoping for another 120mm radiator this time. I think the only other place for this would be the front intake of my case, but normally they advise you position these AIO radiators above the card. I'm also concerned about not having my front intake constantly available to my system, if this only ramps up for the GPU during gaming. But then again, if my CPU is on an AIO anyway, would the motherboard even need it if I just have a 140mm bottom intake??? Not sure whether to go for this or not, my instincts are telling me no, but my body is telling me yes.

Oh well, I'm probably getting an air cooler anyway since these AIO cards often have a several hundred dollar premium.

edit: it looks like this might be the first time ASUS has done an AIO, and they didn't do one for the RTX 3000 series. Are these big Navi cards going to be overclocking monsters???? 👹

Last edited:

GHG

3s4vhjmgx1w51.png

Also dirt 5 looks as shit as ever above. I don't know who they are trying to kid, it's nowhere near being a graphical showcase for any platform.

evanft

This entire discussion about clock speed is just like the discussion around power draw. Fucking pointless.

So what's this about ray tracing?

For any existing games with only RTX support will. The developers need to go back in and add support that is compatible with AMD's RDNA 2 GPUs?

Or will you be able to play metro exodus with ray tracing on out of the box with an RDNA 2 card at launch?

This is the real question.

If the 6800XT is essentially a 3080 with 2080ti or worse levels of ray tracing, then I'm 100% not interested.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

This entire discussion about clock speed is just like the discussion around power draw. Fucking pointless.

This is the real question.

If the 6800XT is essentially a 3080 with 2080ti or worse levels of ray tracing, then I'm 100% not interested.

I'm in the same boat. Wait until they see what that means for Cyberpunk and every other game using raytracing for multiple things moving forward. Control and Metro Exodus were just the beginning. Look how hard Metro Exodus Sam's Story is tanking a 3080 with just RTGI and raytraced emissives:

Last edited:

Kenpachii

AMD needs to stop advertising games nobody cares about what it adds towards. They need to start talking actual games that people play. Dirt 5 is straight up on nobody's radar.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Tumle

I have a 750w psu.. should I think about upgrading my psu, If I want these cards?

Last edited:

Kenpachii

I have a 750w psu.. should I think about upgrading my psu, If I want these cards?

Always made me laugh how people where advertising 600w for higher end psu's in that pc thread. boy that didn't age well.

Anyway here's what u need. Also depends on how much stuff u got running in your PC and what it pulls a 10900k oced to 5,3ghz will need a bit more then a 3600 stock.

6800xt

Requirements
Minimum PSU Recommendation
750 W

6900xt

Requirements
850 W

Last edited:

Tumle

Always made me laugh how people where advertising 600w for higher end psu's in that pc thread. boy that didn't age well.

Anyway here's what u need. Also depends on how much stuff u got running in your PC and what it pulls a 10900k oced to 5,3ghz will need a bit more then a 3600 stock.

6800xt

Requirements
750 W

6900xt

Requirement
850 W
Yea that’s what I saw.. was thinking about going with the 6800xt.. but a little afraid that I’d be running into problems when I only Reach the minimum specs on my psu.. Or am I reading to much into it?

Kenpachii

Yea that’s what I saw.. was thinking about going with the 6800xt.. but a little afraid that I’d be running into problems when I only Reach the minimum specs on my psu.. Or am I reading to much into it?

Wait on reviews and see what they draw then check your psu on a review site and see what it really delivers. And u are done. Mostly these numbers are inflated what they got on there boxes.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
Dude.
You can reduce resolution of a game and get higher framerates.
Without hiding that behind cryptic messages with DLSS in it.
Just saying.

Yes, and the comparasion should be between DLSS and whatever resolution you need to set it to match DLSS performance.

Comparing 60fps 4k with 1440p internal resolution with 30fps native 4k and concluding that DLSS sucks is stupid.

GHG

AMD needs to stop advertising games nobody cares about what it adds towards. They need to start talking actual games that people play. Dirt 5 is straight up on nobody's radar.

I think that now their cards are competitive they should have much more bargaining power when it comes to negotiating marketing partnership deals with developers/publishers.

Kuranghi

I want to start a youtube channel where I just interview Jensen Huang every day for the rest of his/my life. More subs that PDP.

Kuranghi

I don't think you need to, use this: https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

You can use the basic one and it'll prob be 500-600 unless you have dozens of HDDs or something. It said 557W under load when I added in a 9700K + RTX 3080 and it recommended a Bronze 850W supply, which should give around 670W, so you'll be fine with your 750W one as long as its not a super cheapie one with two 12V rails.

supernova8

Banned
AMD could kill the RTX 3070 with a 500€ 6800.
As for now, we have to wait for reviews to compare both cards in several games to see if that extra RAM makes a difference.

If they put out a 6700 XT with 12 GB for $399 that almost matches the 3070 then I think AMD can win the mid range quite handily.

Surely people are sick of paying through the nose.

edit: of course raytracing is a different story but if you're really dead set on RT at this early stage, you're probably going NVIDIA whatever people tell you :D

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Heavy favorited games by AMD also people should stop testing the 5000 + 6000 combination. Zero people have that as of now and barely anybody will be upgrading towards it. It's completely useless for 99% of the people out there and also heavily limited to certain games.

Showcase me some real games people play like metro exodus / cyberpunk / cod / ac games / red dead redemption etc.

Heavy favorited games by AMD also people should stop testing the 5000 + 6000 combination. Zero people have that as of now and barely anybody will be upgrading towards it. It's completely useless for 99% of the people out there and also heavily limited to certain games.

Showcase me some real games people play like metro exodus / cyberpunk / cod / ac games / red dead redemption etc.

They will be the best cpus out there, so of course people will review the gpus with those.
Of course some publications will also test with intel 10th gen to see how much performance they lose.

smbu2000

Well to be fair they did test the Nvidia cards on the same 5000 series test bench (5900X I believe) so the Nvidia cards can also take advantage of the slight pcie 4.0 boost.
Not all of the numbers include the SAM bonus of Ryzen3/RDNA2. The 6900XT had RM and SAM enabled.
The 6800XT was just stock and the 6800 had RM I believe.

The cards will be tested on both platforms so you don’t have to worry about seeing only 5000 series results.

Tumle

If it's relatively new PSU from non shitty brand you will be fine.

Whole totally overclocked to the max test platform with 3090 gpu take 600W.
i just think its that minimum wording that is throwing me off :p
I think its because im comparing it to minimum system requirements for games :D
NVidia says recommended for there cards..
I'm currently using a GTX 980ti, with no problem.. but i'm sure the new cards have a bigger power draw. :)

I get your overall point that some of these games likely favour AMD to some degree, but it is still a 10 game spread of games in popular franchises, the titles shown all have sold multiple million copies alone and some of them are used regularly in 3rd party GPU benchmarks.

Something else worth mentioning is that both the RX6000 series and the 3000 series were benchmarked using the same CPU. At 4K CPU uplifts are minimal anyway but would show more at 1440p or 1080p. Again though, both were benchmarked on the came CPU. Interestingly now that Ryzen takes the gaming performance crown and will launch before the RX6000 series it seems like most reviewers will upgrade their test bench CPUs to Ryzen 5000 series.

Important to note that 6800XT was shown without SAM or Rage Mode.

Of course with anything, we will need to wait for real unbiased reviews. Hardware Unboxed and Gamer's Nexus are about the best ones in my view, some of the others less reliable or trustworthy but I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform.

I predict the 6800XT will trade blows with 3080, winning and losing in a title by title basis but mostly being in the same ballpark. Some games might only have 1-3 fps difference. Depending on how large the quantity of titles tested is and which titles we could see either one come out on "top" when calculating the average FPS. Some games will be outliers with many more or less FPS which may skew final percentage numbers a bit but overall I'm not expecting a clean win for either 6800XT or 3080 with both being within a few % of each other in the end. (Probably 1-5%)

If you turn on SAM mode which seems to actually grant a real uplift, then the 6800XT should pull ahead of the 3080. This seems like a great feature and move by AMD leveraging their CPU momentum/products to grant additional performance to their GPUs, this will make a difference to people buying new rigs or upgrading. I think a lot of people are sleeping on the potential of this right now.

6800 there is not much to talk about, it will completely dominate 3070/2080ti.

6900XT is the one that will fall a little short of the 3090 in reviews, I expect a lot of huffing and puffing from the Nvidia super fans about this once reviews hit. Granted, it will be just a tiny bit behind the 3090 for $500 less and 50watts less power draw, that is pretty amazing when you think about so most reasonable people won't care. If you have a Ryzen 5000 series rig and turn on SAM it should add enough performance that the 6900XT matches 3090.

Now here is where it gets interesting, given the 50watt delta and the supposed extra clocking headroom of 6000 series, if you were to OC the reference 6900XT to match power draw with 3090FE I would imagine it would match or even slightly exceed the 3090 even without SAM enabled. Enable SAM and that is just the icing on the cake.

I will be interested to see how AIB models fair once AMD allows them to make AIB models of the 6900XT, if AMD allows them to unlock power limits to a high degree then I would love to see the top OC AIB 6900XT vs the top OC 3090 AIB card, I think the 6900XT might pull ahead here.

Either way, even without the top possible AIB OC model, any AIB with an OC to bring power draw closer to 3090 should likely exceed 3090 in performance.

Last edited:

llien

When DF will have access to all those devices for testing?
Why would a sane person watch DF reviews after Ampere "super early preview" video is beyond me.

There are plenty of reputable sites, from techpowerup to computerbase, who sum things up nicely, without asking people to click and waste time watching video.

Dr.D00p

They'll need to get some good AIB 6900XT's out there, if for no other reason than to have available cards with higher clocks and power limits that can match or beat the 3090 but without the need for Ryzen CPU memory boosts, owners of Intel CPU's can then join the party!

FireFly

Why would a sane person watch DF reviews after Ampere "super early preview" video is beyond me.

There are plenty of reputable sites, from techpowerup to computerbase, who sum things up nicely, without asking people to click and waste time watching video.
Or you could just read the text version of the DF review, which has all the graphs.

Actually I wanted to touch on this again, I went back to check the slides for the games showcased so I'll list them below:

Battlefield V
Borderlands 3
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
Division 2
Doom Eternal
Forza Horizon 4
Gears of War 5
Resident Evil 3
Shadow of The Tomb Raider
Wolfenstein: Young Blood

You mentioned COD, but as you can see it is actually shown above. These titles are all pretty much multi-million selling titles in popular franchises in the AAA space.

Even more than that, most of them are regularly used in 3rd party benchmarking reviews. I find this complaint a bit confusing and honestly not really matching the reality.

Aside from that, had they showed something like Fortnite that tons of people "actually play" everyone would have complained they are showing a low graphical quality/requirement game.

Similarly, Cyberpunk is not even out yet, how would they be able to benchmark something that hasn't even released? Not to mention it being an Nvidia sponsored title so probably optimized for Nvidia GPUs.

We should get 3rd party reviews soon enough I would imagine, some of which will include a good chunk of these games AMD showcased here while also including some of the titles you've mentioned. Almost definitely we will see whatever the latest AC game being benchmarked and most likely RDR too.

Just give it a little time.

Top Bottom