• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Chess Player Boycotts Championship in Iran Over Hijab Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediyoshi

Me mocking someone for being upset that another culture asks something so trivial of them. It's like getting mad at someone for asking you to remove your shoes at the door.

Did you find this filed under shitty analogies missing the point? What could you possibly think the crux of the issue is if you somehow managed to make an example void of mentioning gender?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
What's the problem here? She doesn't want to wear this thing because she feels like it's misogynistic. That's 100% fine. Imagine the outrage if women were forced to remove their Hijab when participating in a tournament in Europe or the US.

You want to wear it? Wear it.
You don't want to wear it? Don't wear it.
Simple.

I get that the iranian woman is exited about the championship in her country but mandatory hijab for women is a no go. You cant force religious symbols onto others. Imagine everyone had to wear a cross during sporting events in the US... absurd.

I'd support the boycott.

Parham

Banned
As a general rule, I feel like international sporting events shouldn't be hosted in countries where participants are required by the state to wear particular attire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom