• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The amiibos that don't sell will probably be limited/not reprinted so get them fast :p

i am just gonna get yoshi tomorrow and leave him trapped in the box >:)

Liberty4all

Banned
Much lower. The demand for those items is there, based on the amount of Craiglists postings for them and the consistent placement they've received in stores over the past few years. But I've never had an issue finding a figure in town when I searched for one.

This was altogether unexpected. I'm not saying it's reflective of elsewhere, only that my town - which is rather small - is buying. Which bodes well.

When Skylanders first hit some figures were impossible to get. And that was for an unknown property at the time. This on the other hand is NINTENDO.

Sandfox

Have a Mario Amiibo but pre-ordered Marth and Link. Waiting for Little Mac, Ike, MegMan, and Shulk in the upcoming waves. Hope Lucina gets released soon. I'll be by a ToysRUs tomorrow morning, maybe I'll stop by to see their stock situation & get Marth/Link while there and cancel my pre-orders.
Lucina will be hell to get.

hatchx

Banned
I'm only able to pick my copy up after 5pm tomorrow, and I didn't pre order any amiibos.

Guess I'm in for a little bit of a goose chase. I really just want DK and samus.

Liberty4all

Banned
I don't get it. What is the pull of these?

Collectors
kids want them
low manufacturing runs to drive up demand
Neat extras in games
Horders potentially driving up prices on figures with low runs

It's Skylanders all over again but this time on an epic scale because it's with Nintendo IP as the figures. I'm actually kinda kicking myself that I didn't do the loot crate thing when I had the chance. I have work tomorrow and I'm guessing the shelves are gonna be cleaned out. With that said I can't afford another "gotta catch em all" marathon. Skylanders (the original run) ran me like 300 dollars or something ridiculous.

TI82

Banned
I don't understand the hype. They seem kind of useless for smash. I kind of want the villager but he only works in smash.

Yep, very weak game use and weak figure quality at least in wave 1. Wave 2 and 3 have a figure I want but I'm worried they will end up looking bad too.

Striek

Idontbelieveyou.jpg

The rankings at say Amazon or Gamestop online don't indicate such demand.

30 of every figurine and they're all presold at every Gamestop? No.

NateDrake

I don't understand the hype. They seem kind of useless for smash. I kind of want the villager but he only works in smash.

It depends how you use them in Smash. If you have 4 friends over and want to do 8-player Smash, I'd rather have 4 Level 50 Amiibo playing than 4 Level 9 CPU. A level 50 Amiibo can easily defeat 3 level 9 opponents.

Idontbelieveyou.jpg

Who said every GameStop had their stock presold? OP mentioned one store.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The amiibo hype is too real.

Just Samus for me, unless one of the other figures look really nice in person.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Bought four from the first wave: Samus, Wii Fit Trainer, Kirby, and Killager. I plan on grabbing Pikachu, Peach, and Link eventually.

Gonna buy Pit, Mac, Zelda, and maybe Falcon from the December wave. Rosalina, Bowser, Shulk, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Toon Link, Lucario, and Mega Man in February. Send help.

SegaShack

I'm a huge Nintendo fan as well as a Sonic fan. I still don't see much incentive for these, besides just visual appeal. A lot of money for miniscule content in my opinion.

moolamb

The fact that you say "I kind of want..." is telling.

For me, they're just little gifts. They're just things. The fact that they do extra special things in games adds to their value, but it's not like I'm buying them because I want to level up x and y. I just want to give one to each of my mates :)

Pizza

Damnit I really wanted to be able to pick up at least a few amiibos with my pre-order tomorrow :/ hopefully the hype doesn't reach the new brahnfels best buy before I do!

A fully leveled Amiibo is no joke. It will adapt to your techniques, counter you, dodge, etc.. The use may be simple, but customizing them with skills and whatnot will make them into great challenges even in 1-on-1 battles.

My Fox will be the gatekeeper for my game collection. I'll tell my friends they'll be able to borrow my systems if they can beat my lvl 50 Fox on 1v1, Final Destination, no items.

Who here is just buying them to collect/admire? Well, maybe not JUST, but who primarily wants these for their aesthetics and not the in-game goodies?

This is not a veiled "amiibo = shit quality" post, this is a genuine question.
Me! I don't care about their ingame functions atm, besides Kirby's MK8 suit because OMG its Kirby on the helmet, but debating some charscters.

Barring not being able to get them because of Money, I atleast want Link, Samus, Yoshi, Pikachu, Kirby, Wii Fit Trainer, Pit, Luigi, Zelda, Toon Link, Rosalina, Shulk, and Mega Man. But will most likely have to cut back on them due to money.

Of those I listed, I think they all look quite well except for Link and WFT. WFT just looks a little too basic in pictures. I don't mind Link's stand, but him facing downwards just looks dumb and may just get only TL. I dunno yet.

But for the most part, I think they look quite good.

npa189

I ordered DK off amazon, comes tomorrow. If Nintendo does this right it has the potential to become the biggest toy ever, I only bought one out of morbid curiosity.

Who here is just buying them to collect/admire? Well, maybe not JUST, but who primarily wants these for their aesthetics and not the in-game goodies?

This is not a veiled "amiibo = shit quality" post, this is a genuine question.
Me. I don't give a hoot about the in-game functionality. I mean, I collect Disney Infinity figures and I don't even own the game...

Illucio

Banned
My Fox will be the gatekeeper for my game collection. I'll tell my friends they'll be able to borrow my systems if they can beat my lvl 50 Fox on 1v1, Final Destination, no items.

You just gave me the great idea ever.
-Bows-
I'm not worthy of your great wisdom!

Idontbelieveyou.jpg

Again, this is just my experience from what I've seen here. This is a college town with quite a few Nintendo fans based on the Smash tournament posters which frequent my university's announcement boards.

We're looking at probably less than 3,000 total amiibos in the town. I'm purchasing one of each, and it's not uncommon for those same fans to populate the midnight release of things like this. They're the market for videogames here, along with parents who enjoy the Skylanders/Infinity type games.

Amiibos hits both groups in a good way, which is what I think is causing the rush here. Not saying it's universal.

I wonder how many people are buying these because they actually want them and how many are just hoping they'll be able to sell them for big bucks on eBay or Craigslist.

I think these are going to be a lot more front loaded than Skylanders and Infinity. I'd also wager that stores ordered/get a significantly smaller amount compared to those as well. I'm hoping the launch goes pretty well so that Nintendo gets around to something better with the figures.

HeySeuss

So since the Nintendo themed Skylanders type game makes perfect sense, it seems only likely that Nintendo won't make one at all. They never seem to know how to follow up something popular.

The best we'll get is Animal Crossing clothes.

Sandfox

I think these are going to be a lot more front loaded than Skylanders and Infinity. I'd also wager that stores ordered/get a significantly smaller amount compared to those as well. I'm hoping the launch goes pretty well so that Nintendo gets around to something better with the figures.
Each wave is basically a new launch so they just need to make sure they don't ship too many during restocks. The figures should do well enough for Nintendo to continue their plans though.

Legitimate question, if you have a Mario amiibo, wouldn't fighting as Mario be considered the same thing as fighting as your amiibo?

Not quite. Equipments you give to your Amiibo seems to be "eaten" by them so unless you can find the exact set of stat boosts that you gave your Amiibo again, you cant have an *exact* copy of your fighter.

I realize it's a very dumb gripe :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom