• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angela design reportedly won't be changed in the final verison of Silent Hill 2 despite negative internet reactions

Draugoth

Gold Member
Yesterday brought a terrifying new Silent Hill 2 remake trailer during the PlayStation State of Play showcase, unveiling an October 8 release date. Outside of the release date, combat, and protagonist James Sunderland, the trailer also gave us a new look at returning characters Angela and Maria.

You can see Maria's redesigned look just below, the first character that James meets during the new trailer:

MiMwxscRfhFZC8tZv4Qewf-970-80.jpg.webp

According to Klein Harvey, a horror content creator with contacts on Bloober Team, Konami, he reports that a Bloober Team representative confirmed this is the final version of Angela

they-wont-be-changing-angelas-design-the-one-from-the-v0-S14dawoyhlfbhqGjFFrTGAyEvgk1uwIgG-yzBxxFbA4.png

As for why the character of Angela was redesigned from the original game, Mangalawyer speculates it’s due to the influence of game consultancy Hit Detection. He posted on X,

“Bloober Team has hired Sweet Baby Inc 2.0 (Hit detection) a sensitive consulting company, for Silent Hill 2 Remake + ESG Konami. Ever wonder why Maria looks so sanitized? Not spoiling the game, but it’s over, bros. Pack your things. When they said modern audience, they mean it.”

Information via Gamesradar and Dark Place

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Because unlike most western devs even when they go with more realistic model Japanese devs never actively make them look ugly.
I wouldn't really call it realistic. Capcom's always had a totally unique style mixing some Japanese anime / beauty aesthetics with kind of a retro western classic bombshell art style. You see this in Monster Hunter, Resident Evil especially. This looks like an updated Sherry from RE6 kind of vibe. Always hot girls for the most part.

Fbh

Because unlike most western devs even when they go with more realistic model Japanese devs never actively make them look ugly.

What probably also helps is:

Japan:
"Lets make one of the main story characters a hot blonde showing cleavage!"
"Fuck yes!!"

Most western studios:
"Lets make one of the main story characters a hot blonde showing cleavage!"
"Steve, that's really inappropriate and not what we strive for at this studio. Jenny from the creative team has already filed a complain against you because suggestions like these make them feel uncomfortable and it's affecting their mental health. The consultancy firm we hired already suggested we make the character overweight and stay away from traditional beauty standards, that's what we are going with. I've signed you up for a 5 week DEI training program and a mandatory seminar on sexism and hurtful stereotypes, I suggest you attend them if you want to continue working here"

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Angela looked awful. She portrayed none of the mystique or anguish that is associated with her character in that first meeting with James. A real disappointment to see such a downgrade to such an important character. Maria looked better aesthetically, but it's obvious now she will lack the sex appeal and dangerous, manipulative edge she had in the original. Sensitivity consultancy services? Just kick them to the fucking curb and go with your own vision. I don't understand why they have to get involved with the studio.

Generic

I don't understand this. Am I meant to? What is the endgame of this?

Women aren't allowed to show beauty, or sexuality even if it's narratively important?

Like what do they want? Inclusion? It doesn't seem like it's achieving that goal..at all. It seems more divisive than I've ever known.
Did you play Silent Hill 2? Do you know Angela's backstory?

Last edited:

Hugare

36FhY2H.png

Here's the original PS2 model.

They've used the ingame model as reference, not the CGI one. And they look very similar, imo.

Thing is, Bloober sucks in terms of character models. This is not due to Baby Inc or anything like that, they just suck at modeling characters.

And about Maria being "sanitized". It wasnt a huge change in terms of design and it will work storywise anyways.

But sure, lets have some 20 pages talking about Baby Inc influence or whatever

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Am I misremembering something? Don't the original woman look like really bland girl that has this always scared tone? I think this one fits the script very well.
She sure did. Let's remember that Angela was a traumatized, scared suicidal girl.

Women aren't allowed to show beauty, or sexuality even if it's narratively important?
The narrative is that she's a sad and depressed kid who feels trapped, and wants to kill herself. That's the character they're portraying here. She's not supposed to be radiating beauty and sexuality here. But yes. let's blame SBI and DEI for accurate portrayal of the character. I'm guessing most people complaining about this haven't even played the game.

Here's the original meeting for anyone who gives a shit.

The characters in the original game looked like plastic dolls because that's what every character looked like at the time. Certainly ones out of Japan. The characters in this one look like normal people.

Fine if you change the characters appearance, but for god’s sake change their outfits as well then. Now they look like some lame cosplayers..

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Thing is, Bloober sucks in terms of character models. This is not due to Baby Inc or anything like that, they just suck at modeling characters.
I think you are right about that, the face look it just poorly made model even PS2 game has much better face model.

And this has nothing to do with graphics....Just like with Bethesda if devs are not good at making face models its gonna look ugly no matter how powerful the system.

mel4ldoaa1k71.png

I thought faces in dmc5 were great tbh.

But i don't dislike a more stylized style for mh.
My problem with DMC5 artstyle is that DMC series as whole very stylize and over the top and even in DMC 5 the characters still wearing very slick and anime outfits but now with realistic scan face models which makes them look they are just people who are cosplaying as DMC characters.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m unsure why anyone would want to play ugly fucks in games. Or look at them. This is an escapism medium.

Now if you want to make ugly ass douche canoe models go for it with a new IP, but if you’re remaking or remastering something stick to the blueprint. Taking liberties with them automatically makes the core crowd that would support the project turned off.

None of these companies understand basic PR and common practices of business relations with their consumer.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I think you are right about that, the face look it just poorly made model even PS2 game has much better face model.

And this has nothing to do with graphics....Just like Bethesda with if devs are not good at making face model it gonna look ugly no matter how powerful the system.

mel4ldoaa1k71.png

My problem with DMC5 artstyle is that DMC series as whole very stylize and over the top and even in DMC 5 the characters still wearing very slick and anime outfits but now we realistic scan face models which makes them look they are just people who are cosplaying as DMC characters
Well look at the bright side, at least capcom doesn't use super famous actors likes kojima so at least you stil think they are dante and nero instead of actors from freakin walking dead :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom