• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angela design reportedly won't be changed in the final verison of Silent Hill 2 despite negative internet reactions

Just to be clear - this thread isn't discussing the fact that her design won't be changed despite the reactions, I'm aware that thread exists. I guess you could say "Not another Angela thread." but whatever, if the mods deem this to be closed, so be it.

Okay.

giphy.webp

I am a huge Silent Hill fan - and I mean huge. It is simply one of the best video game franchises - for me - of all time. The fact that Silent Hill 2 (the original) still makes 'Top 10 Video Game of all Time' lists, should speak for itself. I was absolutely devastated when Silent Hills was cancelled. Even now, the mere thought of what could have been brings a tear to me eye.

And if I'm being perfectly honest with you, despite all the bullshit from Dusk Golem about Silent Hill coming back, blah, blah, blah - I was coming to terms with the fact that this was it. It's done, over and finished. Move on. It's been a rough ride post Team Silent, but other than Book of Memories, I enjoyed everything I played in some way and grew to appreciate it. In fact one of my controversial gaming opinions, if you will, is that Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is an excellent game and is deserving of Team Silent praise.

So when Silent Hill Transmission was announced and they showed Silent Hill 2, I was all fucking in. It looks incredible visually, sounded great and brought back so much nostalgia, I couldn't have been happier. At this point I'm like, be happy you're getting something right? You could have got nothing at all. Then it goes silent (no pun intended) for quite some time. Then comes the Sony trailer in the State of Play. The whole thing was leaked so we knew it was coming but... I did not expect that.

This version of Angela... is wrong. The character model and performance look disconnected from one another. The character feels alienated from what she should have been - and most annoyingly - a certain set of fans are saying that it's just 'far-right arseholes who are triggered because she looks like a realistic person and isn't designed to be fuckable anymore.' and I could not disagree with this more.

There's only a few characters in Silent Hill 2. If you discount the dog and the town itself which is designed to be a character, you literally have 6. James, Angela, Laura, Maria, Eddie and Mary. And in a game this revered and respected, you have to get that right. It's not hard because you have SIX characters to create and whilst we haven't seen Eddie as of yet, I am perfectly happy with James, I think Laura is a huge improvement over the original and I'm sceptical but accepting of Maria. But Angela... I just do not like what I can see and hear. I would actually go so far as to say I hate this vision of her.

It is not because she isn't 'fuckable' anymore. It isn't because her model has changed. It's not because I'm some far right arsehole and it's not because I'm just hating the game because it's made by Bloober. (I haven't actually played a Bloober game before.)

However, it is because she doesn't look like she fits in with the visual design of the game. Her animations were terrible. Every single line the actress said just completely fell flat on it's face. There was no emotion in the way she spoke. The character literally looks and feels like an asset from the Unity Store that's been used in hundreds of quite cheap Steam titles. Her performance in the role literally sounded like Bill Murray in the Ghostbusters game on PS3/360 where he clearly did not give a single shit and was there for a pay day.

Angela is a huge part of James story within Silent Hill and her story is heart breaking. I can't see my heart being wrenched whilst this new Angela is walking up a burning staircase. The character just does not look, sound or feel right and I genuinely think its going to have a huge impact on the game overall. Certainly when Abstract Daddy is going to feel so ambivalent and numb that I really don't see myself giving a shit about her or her story. I'm not sure if this is all down to that Sweet Baby, but it definitely stinks to me and it's got fuck all to do with her looks or politics. It's a bad re-design that looks bad, sounds bad and acts bad.

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
But we had a 10 page discussion about this already

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The only reason you need to talk about it is because you gave enough of a shit about this terrible remake from a hack fraud studio instead of playing the original like a smart person. This was gonna be garbage the moment they announced who would be working on it (bloober)

Hijacking this topic to advertise the SH2 Enhanced Edition mod on PC. https://enhanced.townofsilenthill.com/

Last edited:
Just to be clear - this thread isn't discussing the fact that her design won't be changed despite the reactions, I'm aware that thread exists. I guess you could say "Not another Angela thread." but whatever, if the mods deem this to be closed, so be it.

Okay.

giphy.webp

I am a huge Silent Hill fan - and I mean huge. It is simply one of the best video game franchises - for me - of all time. The fact that Silent Hill 2 (the original) still makes 'Top 10 Video Game of all Time' lists, should speak for itself. I was absolutely devastated when Silent Hills was cancelled. Even now, the mere thought of what could have been brings a tear to me eye.

And if I'm being perfectly honest with you, despite all the bullshit from Dusk Golem about Silent Hill coming back, blah, blah, blah - I was coming to terms with the fact that this was it. It's done, over and finished. Move on. It's been a rough ride post Team Silent, but other than Book of Memories, I enjoyed everything I played in some way and grew to appreciate it. In fact one of my controversial gaming opinions, if you will, is that Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is an excellent game and is deserving of Team Silent praise.

So when Silent Hill Transmission was announced and they showed Silent Hill 2, I was all fucking in. It looks incredible visually, sounded great and brought back so much nostalgia, I couldn't have been happier. At this point I'm like, be happy you're getting something right? You could have got nothing at all. Then it goes silent (no pun intended) for quite some time. Then comes the Sony trailer in the State of Play. The whole thing was leaked so we knew it was coming but... I did not expect that.

This version of Angela... is wrong. The character model and performance look disconnected from one another. The character feels alienated from what she should have been - and most annoyingly - a certain set of fans are saying that it's just 'far-right arseholes who are triggered because she looks like a realistic person and isn't designed to be fuckable anymore.' and I could not disagree with this more.

There's only a few characters in Silent Hill 2. If you discount the dog and the town itself which is designed to be a character, you literally have 6. James, Angela, Laura, Maria, Eddie and Mary. And in a game this revered and respected, you have to get that right. It's not hard because you have SIX characters to create and whilst we haven't seen Eddie as of yet, I am perfectly happy with James, I think Laura is a huge improvement over the original and I'm sceptical but accepting of Maria. But Angela... I just do not like what I can see and hear. I would actually go so far as to say I hate this vision of her.

It is not because she isn't 'fuckable' anymore. It isn't because her model has changed. It's not because I'm some far right arsehole and it's not because I'm just hating the game because it's made by Bloober. (I haven't actually played a Bloober game before.)

However, it is because she doesn't look like she fits in with the visual design of the game. Her animations were terrible. Every single line the actress said just completely fell flat on it's face. There was no emotion in the way she spoke. The character literally looks and feels like an asset from the Unity Store that's been used in hundreds of quite cheap Steam titles. Her performance in the role literally sounded like Bill Murray in the Ghostbusters game on PS3/360 where he clearly did not give a single shit and was there for a pay day.

Angela is a huge part of James story within Silent Hill and her story is heart breaking. I can't see my heart being wrenched whilst this new Angela is walking up a burning staircase. The character just does not look, sound or feel right and I genuinely think its going to have a huge impact on the game overall. Certainly when Abstract Daddy is going to feel so ambivalent and numb that I really don't see myself giving a shit about her or her story. I'm not sure if this is all down to that Sweet Baby, but it definitely stinks to me and it's got fuck all to do with her looks or politics. It's a bad re-design that looks bad, sounds bad and acts bad.
I also enjoy Shattered Memories.

I like the Ghostbusters videogame and Bill Murray is well off and not in need of a payday. If it sounded phoned in it is likely because of a lack of voice acting experience.

As far as Angela... she sounded disconnected from the moment James met her in Silent Hill 2. No matter how uncharacteristic her new character model is, she still looks more human than she did in the original.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Angela's mind is fractured and is centered around sexual abuse and it gets worse the further along you unravel her story arc. As she is I don't think the story as it was will remain the same or carry the same weight as the original.

What I am surprised about so far in the game's marketing is there is no sign of Eddie whatsoever and I wonder what they did with his character.

MrRibeye

Bloober is Polish and Angela looks like Agnieszka. They're just designing what they know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bobr kurwa! 🦫🇵🇱:messenger_heart:

Last edited:

CashPrizes

No discussion needed. If it is a deal breaker for you don't play it. I was never going to play it in the first place.
Changes seem pretty dumb for sure, if enough people don't buy it hopefully they learn their lesson.

semiconscious

Gold Member
we need to stop using tired/cliched journalism techniques when coming up with thread titles...

'i need to call my mom' =/= 'we need to call my mom'...

We need to talk about how stupid "We need to talk about" thread titles are.

Are we sitting down with our son to discuss his bad attitude after school?

Top Bottom