• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else sick of this Will They/Wont They speculation over Sony's showcases every summer?

Are you sick of not knowing if Sony will hold a showcase every year?

• Yes

Votes: 66 63.5%
  • No

Votes: 38 36.5%

• Total voters

Hohenheim

Don't really care. If they have stuff to show, they'll probably show it.
Way to many games to be excited for anyways.

Dundar

It's fucking exhausting is what it is. The fact that ppl have so much time on their hands to collect any single scrap of insider info about this thing is even more asinine.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
But e3 kinda forced them to show some vertical slice or something.

There is nothing to be hyped about dude, they haven't showed jack shit yet.
But that’s kind of what happened near of end of E3’s life, even before Covid they became less and less exciting because most of them had nothing exciting to show.

At end of the day past memes and cringe moments of E3 shows…….most exciting part is always been the games rather than the actual show, without games then you have no show.

Hudo

Gold Member
If Sony has nothing to show then wouldn’t make much difference if it was on E3 or State of play.

For me I can’t think of any their first party games I should look forward for this year or next year or even year after that.

FWWUUUUEEEHHHHHHHHHHHH

GymWolf

But that’s kind of what happened near of end of E3’s life, even before Covid they became less and less exciting because most of them had nothing exciting to show.

At end of the day past memes and cringe moments of E3 shows…….most exciting part is always been the games rather than the actual show, without games then you have no show.
I didn't cared for the actual show that much, the big conferences were the big selling point, seeing at least 1 or 2 10 min vertical slices to get people excited.

Radical_3d

PlayStation won the console war.

Sarcastic Season 9 GIF by The Office
tumblr_npgs14e2HN1rrkahjo2_400.gifv

tumblr_npgs14e2HN1rrkahjo3_400.gifv

tumblr_npgs14e2HN1rrkahjo4_400.gifv

I don’t really mind the extra drama. E3 was better for sure but the uncertainty ads more drama and I’m all for it. The events and conferences are way worst, and I’m not in on that.

yurinka

Sony now has several shows every year, plus PS blog news.

I prefer this over having the big news focused in a E3 week as happened in the past, which meant having to wait a year for the big news.

Now is better, we get more stuff and more frequently.

Their lack of communication has been awful this gen.
What a joke.

Do you know that they have a PlayStation Blog, a youtube channel, social media accounts and that every year they have multiple State of Play showcases?

Fun fact: in addition to communicate more frequently, this generation they have a bigger audience and engagement in social media than ever before, and this generation broke the records in any KPI of any social media for any console maker in gaming history.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

Sony now has several shows every year, plus PS blog news.

I prefer this over having the big news focused in a E3 week as happened in the past, which meant having to wait a year for the big news.

Now is better, we get more stuff and more frequently.
I won’t accept this revisionist vision of E3, The Christmas In June.

yurinka

I won’t accept this revisionist vision of E3, The Christmas In June.
It always was, most big game news were there. It was literally the gaming Christmas in June regarding game announcements, trailers, etc.

There were some extra minor stuff for Gamescom or TGS, but by far the E3 week got most of the major gaming news of the year every year.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

It always was, most big game news were there. It was literally the gaming Christmas in June regarding game announcements, trailers, etc.

There were some extra minor stuff for Gamescom or TGS, but by far the E3 week got most of the major gaming news of the year every year.
Yes. That’s why I won’t accept that it’s better the bland corporate mud that we have now.

Pelta88

Will they won’t they makes it sound like there’s a corp / publisher out there with a strategy laid out well in advance.

What you’re frustrated with is so called ‘insiders’ who are engagement farming. Grubb has been wrong on a consistent basis. But even with that said, his next insider /completely false info, will get its own thread.

Last edited:
I don't hinge any happiness on something getting announced making me quite content when something eventually does. I'm far too old to keep edging on hype cycles anymore.

yurinka

If Sony has nothing to show then wouldn’t make much difference if it was on E3 or State of play.

For me I can’t think of any their first party games I should look forward for this year or next year or even year after that.

Make sure they will have a showcase/big State of Play in June like almost every year, they have a lot of cool stuff they could show:

• Gameplay debut and release date of 1st party already announced games to be released soonish:
    • Concord
    • Until Dawn Remake
    • Convallaria
    • Lost Soul Aside
    • Death Stranding 2
    • Marathon
    • FairGame$
  • Announcements of 1st/2nd party games planned to be released until aprox late 2025:
    • Cory's new IP
    • Venom
    • Next Team Asobi game
    • Horizon Online
  • Important updates for already released stuff:
    • Reminder of Destiny 2 The Final Shape release
    • Helldivers II - Illuminate faction joins the game
    • Some GT7 big update
    • Maybe a Spider-Man 2 DLC
  • Small portion of cool indie stuff
    • PlayStation Indies
    • China /India Hero Project
  • Gameplay debut and release date of 3rd party exclusives already announced and to be released soonish:
    • ZZZ
    • Silent Hill 2
    • some other stuff I may forget now
  • Trailers from some big 3rd party AAA games
    • Something from Capcom like Pragmata or MH Wilds or the announcement of the characters for the next Street Fighter 6 season
    • Something from Square like Kingdom Hearts 4 or Dragon Quest XII
    • Something from Ubi like Star Wars Outlaws gameplay
    • Something from EA or Take 2 as could be the GTA6 gameplay debut
    • Announcement of FromSoft next game, which could even be a 2nd party game like Bloodborne 2
  • PS5 Pro announcement if it gets released in September. In case it would be released in November (more likely) then they'd announce it in September

Last edited:

Alebrije

Nope , just dont care it's not worth your time or attention. None company cares about You just your money.

They schedule thier shows, releases, news etc according to a business plan.

Danjin44

Make sure they will have a showcase/big State of Play in June like almost every year, they have a lot of cool stuff they could show:

• Gameplay debut and release date of 1st party already announced games to be released soonish:
    • Concord
    • Until Dawn Remake
    • Convallaria
    • Lost Soul Aside
    • Death Stranding 2
    • Marathon
    • FairGame$
  • Announcements of 1st/2nd party games planned to be released until aprox late 2025:
    • Cory's new IP
    • Venom
    • Next Team Asobi game
    • Horizon Online
  • Important updates for already released stuff:
    • Reminder of Destiny 2 The Final Shape release
    • Helldivers II - Illuminate faction joins the game
    • Some GT7 big update
    • Maybe a Spider-Man 2 DLC
  • Small portion of cool indie stuff
    • PlayStation Indies
    • China /India Hero Project
  • Gameplay debut and release date of 3rd party exclusives already announced and to be released soonish:
    • ZZZ
    • Silent Hill 2
    • some other stuff I may forget now
  • Trailers from some big 3rd party AAA games
    • Something from Capcom like Pragmata or MH Wilds or the announcement of the characters for the next Street Fighter 6 season
    • Something from Square like Kingdom Hearts 4 or Dragon Quest XII
    • Something from Ubi like Star Wars Outlaws gameplay
    • Something from EA or Take 2 as could be the GTA6 gameplay debut
    • Announcement of FromSoft next game, which could even be a 2nd party game like Bloodborne 2
  • PS5 Pro announcement if it gets released in September. In case it would be released in November (more likely) then they'd announce it in September
From that list I only care about is third party games like DQ XII, KH4 and MH Wilds.....I'm excited FROM's next game but I dont think FROM interested making sequel to Bloodborne and if FROM is not making it then I'm not interested.

I'm somewhat curious about Next Team Asobi game if its not VR but other than that I have zero interested rest of that list.

This gen Sony's first party selection has become so fucking dull.

Last edited:
It did not bother me before because I believed that at least it would be great. Now that I am not so sure of it the wait bore me. Hopefully this year is a good one.

I don't care about showcases unless the games come in a reasonable time frame after first shown. No one wants to wait 5+ years for games we know nothing about.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Say what you will about E3, it gave us structure. We could always count on Sony, MS and Nintendo being present with their big shows. Ever since covid, we are at the mercy of these publishers. Some like MS and Ubisoft announce their summer shows in advance, but Sony and Nintendo just keep us hanging until the end.

What makes this worse is that Sony has skipped these summer shows in 2019, 2021 and 2022. Only 2 big summer showcases in the last five years. So it's not like we can sit patiently and wait for one to land around Summer Game Fest.

I'd rather they just come out at the start of the year and say we are not doing a showcase. It will avoid the stupid cycle of listening to the Jeff Grubs and Tom Hendersons for weeks only to realize they got nothing this year either.
I and some others have been saying that something isn't right since the GaaS extravaganza showcase ... and nothing has changed since then.

We have wolverine announced but for sure is a 2026+ game

By Sony own history big first party games from big sony studios have a 2 year gap between announced and launch, with a 1.5 year minimum and up to 3.5 years maximum.

My guess is they dont have anything major for 2025 .. so its 2026 and beyond.

Compared to the first 4 years of ps4.. ps5 is a joke... bloodborne and uncharted 4 alone win this fight. IF 2025 brings nothing the joke will become pure embarrassment.

Edit.: Im talking about first party single player games. Second/third and Gaas/Mp are another subject.
2024/2025 are Sony GaaS games year probably . And I truly hope they bomb very hard.

Last edited:

Astray

What a joke.

Do you know that they have a PlayStation Blog, a youtube channel, social media accounts and that every year they have multiple State of Play showcases?

Fun fact: in addition to communicate more frequently, this generation they have a bigger audience and engagement in social media than ever before, and this generation broke the records in any KPI of any social media for any console maker in gaming history.
And it's not enough.

The best communicator has been Nintendo, lots of small digestible directs, great games that arrive in a decent clip (unlike Sony) and no pseudo-friendship with the execs like Microsoft does.

reinking

Gold Member
I do not worry about it at all until they announce it, If they do not have one that does not really impact me, I’m just over here living life regardless of what Sony does, :messenger_sunglasses:

yurinka

From that list I only care about is third party games like DQ XII, KH4 and MH Wilds.....I'm excited FROM's next game but I dont think FROM interested making sequel to Bloodborne and if FROM is not making it then I'm not interested.

I'm somewhat curious about Next Team Asobi game if its not VR but other than that I have zero interested rest of that list.

This gen Sony's first party selection has become so fucking dull.
Seems that your personal tastes are different from the majority of players.

This generation Sony not only the market leader in consoles and the most successful console maker in youtube and social media, Sony also broke their launch sales record for games released in 2020, 2022, 2023 and 2024, plus other games released in this period were the best/fastest selling game ever for their studio or IP. These 1st party game also got a ton of awards and nominations, one even broke the record back then.

And it's not enough.

The best communicator has been Nintendo, lots of small digestible directs, great games that arrive in a decent clip (unlike Sony) and no pseudo-friendship with the execs like Microsoft does.
It has been enough to continue being the leader in the console market, to increase their market share and to make more money per year than any console maker in gaming history. And also to get better numbers in Youtube and social media than Nintendo.

So it just mean you're a Nintendo fan and prefer them over Sony even if there's more people who disagrees with you than people agrees with you. And that's ok.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Seems that your personal tastes are different from the majority of players.

This generation Sony not only the market leader in consoles and the most successful console maker in youtube and social media, Sony also broke their launch sales record for games released in 2020, 2022, 2023 and 2024, plus other games released in this period were the best/fastest selling game ever for their studio or IP. These 1st party game also got a ton of awards and nominations, one even broke the record back then.
Maybe, this gen Sony completely lost me.

Astray

It has been enough to continue being the leader in the console market, to increase their market share and to make more money per year than any console maker in gaming history. And also to get better numbers in Youtube and social media than Nintendo.

So it just mean you're a Nintendo fan and prefer them over Sony even if there's more people who disagrees with you than people agrees with you. And that's ok.
I mean good for Sony on making more money, but I want to see what's coming already.

Re: Nintendo: I'm what you might call a lapsed fan, used to play NES then owned an SNES, then had a long long hiatus until my (then fiancee now wife) gave me a Switch for my birthday. I just think they have been conducting their business and managing their customers and pipelines far, far better than Sony has.

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
I loved e3. I used to work on an event that finished the day before it started so I’d take the week of e3 off and watch all of the shows. It was so good seeing what was announced and discussing it all as it happened.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I really don’t care now. E3 is dead and so I just treat anytime they spring one of these as a nice little hype moment to see what’s cooking.

To some extent it’s nicer being surprised when they do one, and knowing it’s planned with the intent of showing something tangible or concrete. Or else you get Agent from rockstar announcements lol.

That all said holy shit do I miss E3. Growing up it’s all I wanted was to find a way to go one year to just revel in the hype and fun.

It’s dead Jim.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
What and announce games not coming out for 2 or 3 years that also set unrealistic deadlines and expectations onto the developers due to showing it too early? Hard pass.

I do miss the megaton days of e3 and getting more games in general, but development cycles are substantially longer now so we are feeling the impact.

With all that said, when they do announce whatever their studios are working on Sony better knock it out of the park.

Last edited:
Top Bottom