• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently there is disagreement over the term "alt-right" (New Yorker)

Nepenthe

It's always about being called a racist and not that they are actually doing racist things. They are jusst going to keep jumping ship to different names as each becomes too toxic for the public, the core groups don't change though.

Basically. It's worse to be called a racist than to actually do racist things.

Bolivar687

Banned
This was also my impression, that alt-right was a catchall for conservative personalities picking up traction outside of the establishment. It wasn't until the big news outlets caught on to Spencer's speech that it became associated with white supremacy.

I liked how Hannity tried to make "alt-left media" a thing.

L Thammy

The far right has been infighting ever since Spencer held that Nazi rally in DC right after the election. The main thing they still have in common is bigotry.

To be fair, isn't hating each other the norm for far right folks? My understanding is that when they aren't all under one label they're a bunch of small groups who spend too much of their time bickering to actually be effective. When they're all motivated by constant hate, it shouldn't be surprising.

I liked how Hannity tried to make "alt-left media" a thing.

I might be confusing it with "far left", but isn't that also one of the things that people with low post counts throw when they're being called out for saying "both sides"?

Gattsu25

Banned
The only evidence I've seen for that is himself saying he coined it. Which is evidence of jack shit.

You're right. It's impossible to know who coined it. All we know is he's taking credit for it and no one was using it before him.

Similarly, we'll never know if Adam Baldwin coined the phrase GamerGate either. We just know that he says he did and no one was using it before him.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How about neue reich, I mean, new right?

Top Bottom