• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple debuts game controller APIs in iOS 7

jts

...hate me...
Weird. I actually thought that was an iOS 3 API...
Same. There's also quite some controllers as well. Huh.

I think something like this needs an official controller or something with HUGE adoption so devs start caring. Or else it will be the same non-news.

Also it needs to be a nice device. Portable + comfortable + responsive/precise.

Then yes, iOS becomes one of the most legit gaming platforms in existence, and anyone still denying that would be even more of a fool.

FGMPR

Banned
It would be amazing if they gave us some kind of xpadder style wrapper we could retroactively use. Either way, this is big and could be the origins of a nightmare scenario for consoles over the course of the upcoming generation.

Blackhead

Redarse
Isn't it? Would you mind expanding on that?

Same reason why the PS Move didn't take off — it's not bundled. These Apple APIs could be huge for gaming nerds but if Apple is interested in taking it mainstream they'll need to make their own (or at least have one reference model that they advertise and sell in stores).

TheContact

If this takes off I might actually stay iphone rather than switch to android. I have 2 apple TV's after all. Saying that android also has stuff like the MOGA I could use.

I thought about this for a second, as I'm debating getting rid of my iphone, but the iPhone's screen size isn't changing anytime soon, and the 5 inches of glory on the GS4 is amazing

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, there is still a lack of the one controller, more to the point, there is the fact that a controller is completely at odds with the mobile design ethos.

FGMPR

Banned
Same reason why the PS Move didn't take off — it's not bundled. These Apple APIs could be huge for gaming nerds but if Apple is interested in taking it mainstream they'll need to make their own (or at least have one reference model that they advertise and sell in stores).

Could they legally emulate xinput for iOS and then anyone with a 360 controller (or mad catz/logitech/razer) clone could just use that? Even if not, all you would need to do is buy a controller to turn your iPad or iPhone into a legit gaming machine compared to a new console. All Apple need to do is advertise it as a legit alternative instead of acting like they are too sophisticated to be known as a gaming device.

I thought about this for a second, as I'm debating getting rid of my iphone, but the iPhone's screen size isn't changing anytime soon, and the 5 inches of glory on the GS4 is amazing

Well if i go android its for the nexus 4 which still has a great size screen. I would like to get away from subsidised phones you see. Depends what they do with iphone 5s / 6 I guess. I mean I have a pretty decent wireless router so streaming can be fairly lag free. Having the ability to pop the game on the big TV on the rare occasion could be pretty nice.

However a MOGA and a HDMI cable on a nexus 4 could prob do the same thing couldn't it?

Number45

Could they legally emulate xinput for iOS and then anyone with a 360 controller (or mad catz/logitech/razer) clone could just use that? Even if not, all you would need to do is buy a controller to turn your iPad or iPhone into a legit gaming machine compared to a new console. All Apple need to do is advertise it as a legit alternative instead of acting like they are too sophisticated to be known as a gaming device.
They wouldn't need to emulate it, they could just code support for that kind of input. How are we expecting these controllers to connect though? Aren't they all dongle based?

BT seems the sensible answer.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts then we'd all have a merry christmas.

When Apple start offering full support for the development of full-featured games then I'll be interested. All it has at the moment is potential.

numble

Two types of game controllers supported:

uVNxJTpl.jpg

OvAUGwOl.jpg

So it looks like anybody can make a controller as long as it's one of those 2 layouts?

People saying Apple should make an official controller... Apple has provided the APIs, they'd rather have third parties spend time and money perfecting the controller. No need to waste resources on something that might not take off.

I'm sure we'll see a couple of controllers by the end of the year.

RedSwirl

Here's hoping Logitech comes up with one.

Oh, and some fight sticks too. It'd be great of SNK and Namco went back and patched this API into KOFi and Soul Calibur respectively.

So it looks like anybody can make a controller as long as it's one of those 2 layouts?

That looks pretty good if true. Start and Select isn't really needed as iOS devices have one giant touch screen and those functions can still be implemented through that. I would also imagine that developers could put the L and R shoulder buttons on the face of the controller for a 6 button arcade like layout. Though since iCade uses 8 face buttons, I wonder what they are going to do?

*** This will destroy handheld gaming.
Not completely, people will still buy some measure of Nintendo or Sony handhelds....

But for the VAST MAJORITY it will be good enough. Its actually good enough for me.

Nintendo is going to have to prepare for less handheld revenue.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...fi-game-controllers-details-framework-at-wwdc

Article mentions at the end that "such a device should not be a requirement" for a game, so devs will likely have to continue to include on-screen touch controls for now even if they primarily wanted to design just for hardware controls.

This is big news though, as it could put pressure not only on the traditional Nintendo/Sony handheld market, but also would allow gaming with traditional controls to come to Apple TV and compete against the Android microconsoles (Ouya, GameStick, etc.).

Very interesting time in the industry for sure. Reminiscent of the early home computer days (1980s) when there were tons of entries in the market.

RedSwirl

The remaining problem though is still that price ceiling. It's still gonna be mostly $1 and F2P games that can only hold your attention for five minutes.

This is a big step, but the process won't be complete in my eyes until I can get $30 games on iOS on the same level as something like VLR or Peace Walker.

This is awesome.

I don't own an iOS device, but hopefully this will encourage more developers to think about adding actual controller support in their games, especially since Apple has a big marketshare. I've played too many games on my phone that I know would work so much better if I had an actual gamepad instead of using the touch screen. Games like Angry Birds I understand, but trying to play Modern Combat 4 by gameloft was just awful IMO.

The remaining problem though is still that price ceiling. It's still gonna be mostly $1 and F2P games that can only hold your attention for five minutes.

This is a big step, but the process won't be complete in my eyes until I can get $30 games on iOS on the same level as something like VLR or Peace Walker.

This.

The price ceiling will have to be broken for sure. People balk at paying even $1 for an iOS game. I know several people who will not pay for any handheld or tablet software AT ALL, games or otherwise.

iOS games are fine, but as you said, there really aren't many that hold your attention for long periods of time. The fact that Apple will require devs to NOT require hardware controls is a detriment to them designing more engrossing games as they'll still have to design their games to be playable with just the touchscreen.

jtb

Banned
the "price ceiling" on iOS overstated imo. there's plenty of range in the prices of games on iOS. and it reaches such a huge install base that I'm not necessarily convinced particularly high prices are necessary anyways—but even if people balk... so what? If the game is worth it, people will buy it. I know tons of people that had zero problem buying knights of the old republic again, and that's a ten year old port of a game that wasn't particularly technically impressive in the first place.

I'm certain there is a market for high end apps on iOS and, while there's certainly still a lot of money being left on the table, I also think the market is already being served to a certain extent.

M3d10n

Time for the reality check: the vast majority of the top-grossing iOS games have nothing to do with gamepads or even console gaming.

Time for the reality check: the vast majority of the top-grossing iOS games have nothing to do with gamepads or even console gaming.

Does it matter? People will still want their puzzle games and time wasters, but the deeper "console quality" games will no longer be held back by virtual controls. Plenty of money to be had.

M3d10n

Does it matter? People will still want their puzzle games and time wasters, but the deeper "console quality" games will no longer be held back by virtual controls. Plenty of money to be had.

That's the question: is it truly the virtual controls holding back those games from dominating the charts? There's money to be made, indeed, but I question if it's on the same ballpark as the million-making f2p "time wasters".

Zee-Row

Banned
The thing that sucks about Android games with controller support is that you still can't turn the screen overlays off. I hope they fix that.

numble

That's the question: is it truly the virtual controls holding back those games from dominating the charts? There's money to be made, indeed, but I question if it's on the same ballpark as the million-making f2p "time wasters".
Why does it matter? Wii Sports was the top-selling game last gen, different games can exist on the market.

Bastion, GTAs, Modern Combats, NOVAs, Infinity Blades, KOTOR, Minecraft etc. all have had their time in the top sales chart.

It doesn't matter if it doesn't match the profit of the most profitable games, only that their is an audience and it can be profitable.

jtb

Banned

they;re not mutually exclusive and the ecosystem is more than large enough to support both. it's just a question of which developers want to take the plunge.

it may not beat angry birds, but... so what? most cheap games don't either. doesn't mean there's not a shitton of money to be made.

M3d10n

I agree, it's never going to beat out Angry Birds or what not in the charts.

The mobile market is like the PC market: the massively popular games dominating the charts are akin to browser games (many of them are actually direct descendants of browser games) while you can also find incredibly hardcore games.

The key difference is that in the PC market there are a huge number of content channels which push different ranges of experiences while in mobile you are limited to the app store, where everything is jumbled together in a bloody carnage for chart positions.

Now, if Apple adds a section dedicated to pad-compatible games it would help a lot in giving such games breathing room to get some exposure and their developers a more measurable audience they can target to.

Now, if Apple adds a section dedicated to pad-compatible games it would help a lot in giving such games breathing room to get some exposure and their developers a more measurable audience they can target to.

I would be shocked if they didn't.

RedSwirl

What I'm really excited for is to see if developers port these controls back into iOS ports of older games.

I would be much more likely to enjoy pad-enabled patches to the iOS versions of:
KOTOR
GTA III and San Andreas
Max Payne
FF Tactics
The other Final Fantasy games
Chrono Trigger
King of Fighters-i
Soul Calibur
Marvel vs Capcom 2
and others...

Shit man, if they made an iOS arcade stick and made the iOS version of Pac-Man compatible with the API, I just might finally get my mom to stop playing FarmStory.

They usually demo the new OS again when they introduce the new iOS hardware. Wouldn't surprise if they did an on stage controller demo.

danielcw

The thing that sucks about Android games with controller support is that you still can't turn the screen overlays off. I hope they fix that.

depends on the game. maybe apple can force it for IOS.

For example it could be done in Sonic CD day one on Android

Top Bottom