• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music buys "Carpool Karaoke" TV series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
Curious if Corden will still be able to do it on Late Late Show.

no.

I'm going to have to disagree. There's not a person in the world who is better at this type of stuff than Wayne Brady. Dude has absolutely slayed at this same type of thing on Whose Line is it Anyways for years now, and he's the very definition of likable. Who the fuck hates Wayne Brady?

I'm going to have to disagree. There's not a person in the world who is better at this type of stuff than Wayne Brady. Dude has absolutely slayed at this same type of thing on Whose Line is it Anyways for years now, and he's the very definition of likable. Who the fuck hates Wayne Brady?

But he makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcolm X.

But he makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcolm X.

giphy.gif

element

I wouldn't say hate, but he wasn't even my favorite cast member on WLITA. I've seen him on Don't Forget the Lyrics!, Let's Make a Deal, Hollywood Game Night and he just doesn't click for me. I find him grating. And really, he is probably too old for the demographic they are after.

Realistically, it will probably be someone in their early 30's, probably has been on/off Broadway or some Youtuber since Corden is very connected in that scene (they did an entire week from the Youtube Studios and highlighted a number of YT stars).

CloudWolf

How the hell are they going to make a show based on that segment? The segments itself already last way longer than they should.

Being from the UK I find it bizarre Cordon is finding such success in the states. I struggle to know how he even got so famous.by basically acting like a poor man's glee club Gervais. He must have a really good agent.

His entire late night show is just seems like a Jimmy Fallon rip-off.

As for 'Carpool lip-synch battle' aka 'Celebrities in cars getting Karaoke', well, as an Apple fan, I didn't like the Beats purchase either, and I'm not sure I love that they are working on a car, but what do i know.

I guess I gotta get used to Apple dipping their feet into non-tech stuff, and these days the money for carpool can probably be found down the back of their couch in reception.

Gigglepoo

I guess the one you could compare it to is whether or not Fallon continued with Lip Sync Battle after the show began. I have no idea whether he did or not, but that's what'll likely happen to the bit.

That's because Lip Sync Battle was created by John Krasinski, Emily Blunt, and Stephen Merchant. Krasinski and Merchant still produce the show and John and Emily have both performed on it as well.

More details on the show have come out:
Apple Music’s Carpool Karaoke series will have the CBS The Late Late Show host appearing in at least one episode, but he won’t be starring in the show that’s based on his viral video hit.

In another switch, the series version won’t stay in the car either, with singers getting out and, for example, going into a laundromat.

The producers explained to critics at the Television Critics Association on Monday that it would be “silly” to try and duplicate the success of the viral format and instead wanted to try and do the show a different way.

Celebrity pairings include John Legend and Alicia Keys, Seth MacFarlane and Ariana Grande, Chelsea Handler and Blake Shelton and Metalica with Billy Eichner. Corden is involved in at least one episode, however, where he’s joined by Will Smith.

So, it's more like a "Musicians in Cars Singing Their Hits While Doing Mundane Things".

jstripes

Banned
I still don't see how this is going to work. It's not marketed as a video streaming service, so this will go unknown.

NYR

The producers explained to critics at the Television Critics Association on Monday that it would be ”silly" to try and duplicate the success of the viral format and instead wanted to try and do the show a different way.

I think they are now realizing a 5 minute youtube video isn't enough for a TV show, having some serious buyers remorse...

Ashhong

Sorry for the bump, but is there an OT for this? I really liked the John Legend and Alicia episode. Watching GOT one now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom