• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

LeleSocho

Banned
Holy shit. The apologists here are going nuts.

absolutely

amazing

Hey! It's true! I'm not making that up i swear! Motorola screwed up the first G4 production pretty bad.

You can shit on Apple and this watch all you want from what i care but not on the iMac G4, the G4 Cube and iPhone 4/4S' design :p

Oddly enough despite all the lukewarm reviews I still kind of want one. It looks super-interesting to use and I'd like to hold out hope the software issues can be fixed in the long run.

I just wish I had an iPhone to pair one with. ;(

Raistlin

Hey! It's true! I'm not making that up i swear!

You can shit on Apple and this watch all you want from what i care but not on the iMac G4, the G4 Cube and iPhone 4/4S' design :p

Come on man ... you have to know that's not how things work, right?

I missed your sarcasm didn't I -___-

LeleSocho

Banned
Come on man ... you have to know that's not how things work, right?

I missed your sarcasm didn't I -___-

I wasn't there at the times (i was like 8) but i remember reading sometimes ago that Motorola's fabs couldn't keep up with their promises for that year and the result were so bad that for a period they had to revert to slower clocks to lower the temperatures of the cpu, i know it affected the Power Mac G4 too (the full tower), now i don't know if this was the true reason for the cpu popping out of the mobo but i remember reading that.

Iacobellis

If the Watch is this buggy, why is Apple insisting on releasing it so soon? Competition is very minuscule in this space right now and doesn't need an early push for Apple to be able to squeeze in.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I disagree.

I think it isn't the same thing as their phone, and people will take bigger exception if it requires multiple charges.
Why the hell is this even being brought up!?! Every review, regardless of positivity or not, has basically confirmed that the 42mm watch holds up to a full day of usage just fine. Why are we still arguing about battery life when not a single review has shown it to be an issue!?

I get the initial rumors. And I get how Apple responding to them with the initial "18 hours" spec as not overwhelmingly assuaging those fears. But every review has now said "yeah you'll easily get a full day use out of this" and people here are now even saying "multiple charges per day"? Cmon.... Let's not just go making shit up here...

If the Watch is this buggy, why is Apple insisting on releasing it so soon? Competition is very minuscule in this space right now and doesn't need an early push for Apple to be able to squeeze in.
If anything it seems like the competition has been heating up. You figure Pebble has done really well in the Smart-Watch arena and they're prepping the release of their second-generation product. Fitbit also released a Smart-Watch last year and they have a pretty big following so it probably sold decently.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Why the hell is this even being brought up!?! Every review, regardless of positivity or not, has basically confirmed that the 42mm watch holds up to a full day of usage just fine. Why are we still arguing about battery life when not a single review has shown it to be an issue!?

I get the initial rumors. And I get how Apple responding to them with the initial "18 hours" spec as not overwhelmingly assuaging those fears. But every review has now said "yeah you'll easily get a full day use out of this" and people here are now even saying "multiple charges per day"? Cmon.... Let's not just go making shit up here...

You're arguing with a guy that has Trollface for an avatar.

SuperPac

Someone might say

"Because if it had better battery life the screen could be on all the time. All these reviews complain about the clock face not coming on with the wrist motion."

or "I don't want to plug my watch in every night."

Both valid enough points for some that do not matter to me since i plug my phone in every night and don't wear a watch at all so I have no habit of keeping my watch on while sleeping or whatever.

dc89

What did he say?

it's posted on the previous page but what the hell, let's have it here too;

Imagine:
You’re 16. You’re in school. You’re sitting in class. You have a crush on another student — you’ve fallen hard. You can’t stop thinking about them. You suspect the feelings are mutual — but you don’t know. You’re afraid to just come right out and ask, verbally — afraid of the crushing weight of rejection. But you both wear an Apple Watch. So you take a flyer and send a few taps. And you wait. Nothing in response. Dammit. Why are you so stupid? Whoa — a few taps are sent in return, along with a hand-drawn smiley face. You send more taps. You receive more taps back. This is it. You send your heartbeat. It is racing, thumping. Your crush sends their heartbeat back.

You’re flirting. Not through words. Not through speech. Physically flirting, by touch. And you’re not even in the same classroom. Maybe you don’t even go to the same school.

TxdoHawk

The smartwatch battery life problem is pretty much a space issue. More efficient chips will help somewhat, but the reality is that it's going to be very hard to squeeze multiple-day battery life out of something so small and packed with tech, especially when people complain that smartwatches are already too big.

As for the "annoyance" of charging a watch nightly...I didn't find it an issue with my Zenwatch. Plug the watch in, plug the phone in, go to sleep. It became part of the routine pretty easily, and the ZenWatch had a plastic dongle you actually clicked the watch into. With a magnetic charger, even easier.

Raistlin

What of the smaller version?

Blackhead

Redarse
The surprise cameo halfway through the review was amusing, even though I'm not a big fan of the guy...

Lol that guy
UqSMW8G.gif

Somnid

Eventually you need to push something out the door and vet the idea. Apple shouldn't have trouble selling it to someone, even decent high end model sales from the very wealthy can make it profitable.

Right now I think the main problem Apple has is they need some direction and what better way to do that then get a group of super fans and developers to buy watches and get opinions and metrics.

Iacobellis

it's posted on the previous page but what the hell, let's have it here too;

Wow.

Back to the Watch, it really wouldn't have been released in this state if Jobs was still at the helm of Apple. The way the company is run now, split into different groups and not cohesively working together, without a single leader that has control over what goes into the product, is bad. OS X and iOS look refined, sharing the same aesthetics and don't have an overly steep learning curve. Better yet, the iPhone had literally no learning curve in 2007. I think the hardest thing for me was using the keyboard, which became a breeze after a day or so.

The Apple Watch, ugh, just looks so out-of-place from the rest of Apple's products. The UI doesn't shout "Apple" to me at all, it just doesn't look friendly outside of reusing the same icons from iOS. Is it because Apple hired a guy from Adobe to do all of the heavy lifting rather than even AT LEAST letting Craig Federighi have some say on the project? Who knows.

I don't find it revolutionary like anything else Apple did last decade that sent them skyrocketing to become the most valuable company they are today. Smartwatches have already been done for at least a year now, and Apple is just now releasing one that is running an unoptimized piece of software and goes for an exceptionally high price. Whenever Apple did something new, it was usually first and right, or second and right. This is second and wrong from what I can tell.

Wow.

Back to the Watch, it really wouldn't have been released in this state if Jobs was still at the helm of Apple. The way the company is run now, split into different groups and not cohesively working together, without a single leader that has control over what goes into the product, is bad. OS X and iOS look refined, sharing the same aesthetics and don't have an overly steep learning curve. Better yet, the iPhone had literally no learning curve in 2007. I think the hardest thing for me was using the keyboard, which became a breeze after a day or so.

The Apple Watch, ugh, just looks so out-of-place from the rest of Apple's products. The UI doesn't shout "Apple" to me at all, it just doesn't look friendly outside of reusing the same icons from iOS. Is it because Apple hired a guy from Adobe to do all of the heavy lifting rather than even AT LEAST letting Craig Federighi have some say on the project? Who knows.

I don't find it revolutionary like anything else Apple did last decade that sent them skyrocketing to become the most valuable company they are today. Smartwatches have already been done for at least a year now, and Apple is just now releasing one that is running an unoptimized piece of software and goes for an exceptionally high price. Whenever Apple did something new, it was usually first and right, or second and right. This is second and wrong from what I can tell.

Isn't Jony Ive pretty much that single leader now? As for revolutionary devices Apple has made in the past decade, isn't it pretty much just the iPhone? Everything else seems like logical evolutionary steps from previous products.

mcfrank

I don't get the complaints about Gruber's example for using taptics. Seems like something that will be a reality at a lot of high schools in a few years.

I don't get the complaints about Gruber's example for using taptics. Seems like something that will be a reality at a lot of high schools in a few years.

It's funny because Gruber doesn't realize that teenagers will be sending dick pics with their Apple watch, not taps and smiley faces.

subrock

Like anything, if you come across as too much of a fanboy, everything you write is construed as drivel. Might be a bit fan-ficcy, but I think he's pretty on point with the interaction there.

Somnid

I've been expecting the teen market to pickup Apple Watch. They are heavily trend focused, obsessed with cultural status symbols, always looking for novel albeit gimmicky ways to communicate, and they don't have enough embedded assumptions about fashion and what a watch is to be deterred. It's a good fit.

borghe

What of the smaller version?
I believe the "18 hour" approximation (someone can correct me) is a low end estimate for the 38mm. All of the battery life estimates on the official pages say "may be higher for 42mm body". So both watches seem to get a full day's use with the 42mm one clearly having a slightly bigger battery and more usage time. Slightly.

Iacobellis

Isn't Jony Ive pretty much that single leader now? As for revolutionary devices Apple has made in the past decade, isn't it pretty much just the iPhone? Everything else seems like logical evolutionary steps from previous products.

I figured it was both, actually. Craig is described as "oversees the development of iOS, OS X and Apple's common operating system engineering teams. His teams are responsible for delivering the software at the heart of Apple's innovative products, including the user interface, applications and frameworks."

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Wow.

I bought the first iPhone after waiting in line for 8 hours.

I had been using and owning Apple computers for years prior to the iPhone's release.

I was like... the only person in my group of friends or family that believed the iPad was a gamechanger and not just a "giant iPod touch."

I currently own a top-of-the-line 15" rMBP, an iPad Air, and an iPhone 6 Plus.

And I agree with everything you've said. The Apple Watch just seems so damn inconsistent with the rest of their lineup.

Honestly, it's not even the price that gets me. Hell, had the starting price been $499 I wouldn't have been surprised; the fact that it starts at $349 means it's not that bad. But it just seems so... un-Apple. Looking past the thickness, the square face, and the competing UI (half the people use the crown, half the screen, neither seems "perfect"); it just has such a goofy looking UI.

The emoti face is awful - it looks straight out of circa-2000 MSN Messenger. The thing is slow, and really doesn't do anything at all without a phone nearby. The colors and fonts seem so out of place. There notifications annoying the wearer was something I predicted ages ago, and I was hoping Apple would find some "magical" way to make notifications work perfectly.

It's a nice device. It's better than the competition. The workout features are great. I think trying to sell it as a fashion device is pretty brilliant. I'll probably buy one. ... but it definitely feels like it's coming from an Apple different than the one I'm used to.

takoyaki

From the Verge:

Health is supposed to be huge on the Apple Watch. That's not true yet — in fact, third-party apps can't even access its heart-rate sensor! — but it's no secret that Apple has big ambitions here. And, chances are, third-party apps will play as big of a role in that as Apple.

I hope they enable it quickly, because it makes the watch a lot less useful if you want to use it as an activity tracker. I'd like to continue using the Nike+ app, but right now there's no real advantage in using the watch over the phone other than quick glances while running.

borghe

I honestly see Apple Watch as more revolutionary. It definitely takes some cues from Wear and more so from Pebble... But clearly the bigger focus here isn't "leave the phone in your pocket", but instead actually looking at the notifications less. Being LESS involved with your phone so to speak. Taptic engine plays a big part in that. Knowing the notification is Twitter or Facebook and probably not even looking at it while in a meeting, as opposed to dropping everything for an email from your boss. All of the reviews have touched on "you get to a point of not even looking at the watch and just knowing what notifications are coming through and the at-the-time importance of reacting to them". That's pretty significant. That's more than just putting the notifications on your wrist and actually potentially changes how you interact with your device, period. While I certainly won't say "that's as big as the iPhone!!!" I might say it's the biggest change with how we interact with our phones SINCE the iPhone.
From the Verge:

I hope they enable it quickly, because it makes the watch a lot less useful if you want to use it as an activity tracker. I'd like to continue using the Nike+ app, but right now there's no real advantage in using the watch over the phone other than quick glances while running.
This is sort of the case now also though. The big part isn't the apps having access to the heart rate monitor. It's having access to that data in HealthKit. Also I believe the advantage to using the Watch over the phone is that eventually for health tracking the Watch can be used WITHOUT the phone. Once it learns your stride and such, the Watch is able to cache activity data until it reconnects with the phone to send it to HealthKit, unless things have changed from when Apple said that.

Nafai1123

Banned

Wouldn't he need her phone number in order to tap her to begin with though or does it automatically identify other watches in the area?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Can I buy the link bracelet and milanese loop separately? I'd be gutted if I have to wait for 6 weeks for my Apple Watch.

Iacobellis

I bought the first iPhone after waiting in line for 8 hours.

I had been using and owning Apple computers for years prior to the iPhone's release.

I was like... the only person in my group of friends or family that believed the iPad was a gamechanger and not just a "giant iPod touch."

I currently own a top-of-the-line 15" rMBP, an iPad Air, and an iPhone 6 Plus.

And I agree with everything you've said. The Apple Watch just seems so damn inconsistent with the rest of their lineup.

Honestly, it's not even the price that gets me. Hell, had the starting price been $499 I wouldn't have been surprised; the fact that it starts at $349 means it's not that bad. But it just seems so... un-Apple. Looking past the thickness, the square face, and the competing UI (half the people use the crown, half the screen, neither seems "perfect"); it just has such a goofy looking UI.

The emoti face is awful - it looks straight out of circa-2000 MSN Messenger. The thing is slow, and really doesn't do anything at all without a phone nearby. The colors and fonts seem so out of place. There notifications annoying the wearer was something I predicted ages ago, and I was hoping Apple would find some "magical" way to make notifications work perfectly.

It's a nice device. It's better than the competition. The workout features are great. I think trying to sell it as a fashion device is pretty brilliant. I'll probably buy one. ... but it definitely feels like it's coming from an Apple different than the one I'm used to.

That is my exact sentiment. In the end, it all boils down to Tim. Tim isn't the same kind of guy Steve was, who was throughly passionate about technology that you could hear it in their voice and see in their eyes. Steve would go nuts and point out the littlest details his company's software and hardware offered that the competitors didn't.

"The back of our computer looks better than the front of the other guys!"

Nothing got to the masses unless Steve said yes. Apple doesn't work like that anymore, especially with the split in groups as I mentioned earlier. This is leading to an incohesive design and experience across their devices, which I am afraid will become more evident as time passes and Apple makes more radical changes to their products outside of redesigns and software updates. Why redesign iOS and OS X to look mostly the same and carry a new design language only to butcher the Watch OS?

And maybe it's just me, but I don't think the Apple Watch got the spotlight it deserved. The iPhone had basically its own press event and was hyped for months prior to release with product placement and TV ads. Apple was also riding on the wave of the lackluster product Vista became and the growing popularity of the Mac. The Apple Watch was just shoehorned into an event that was overshadowed by the announcement of the rumored iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. Plus, there was also Apple Pay that took time out of the press release. The entire demo of the device was done by Kevin Lynch, the man behind the software of the project. Not a great public speaker by any means like Steve was, or as Craig and Phil are. You're trying to convey a brand new product to tens of millions of people and why they have to own it.

It's just a mess all around.

Raistlin

I believe the "18 hour" approximation (someone can correct me) is a low end estimate for the 38mm. All of the battery life estimates on the official pages say "may be higher for 42mm body". So both watches seem to get a full day's use with the 42mm one clearly having a slightly bigger battery and more usage time. Slightly.
The concern here shouldn't be that hard to understand though.

For example in the Verge review he was looking at single digit battery life at 11pm. That actually works out to the 18 hour number rolling around given he started at 7:36am with 100%. If someone is to use the device even a bit more heavily, it simply won't make it ... and that's the 42mm version.

What happens with the 38mm?

And then what happens in 6 months when your battery has a bit less capacity? That cutting it close starts turning into 'my watch is dead at 9pm'.

For example in the Verge review he was looking at single digit battery life at 11pm. That actually works out to the 18 hour number rolling around given he started at 7:36am with 100%. If someone is to use the device even a bit more heavily, it simply won't make it ... and that's the 42mm version.

And then what happens in 6 months when your battery has a bit less capacity? That cutting it close starts turning into 'my watch is dead at 9pm'.

Yeah, this was a big concern for me. I want to actually be able to use the device instead of worrying about how much I am using it.

borghe

The 38mm will have a smaller battery but also a 10% smaller screen. So while the number will be different, it's hard to say how much different.

At the same time we dot know what "higher usage" really means. I mean these guys are reviewing it. I would imagine they aren't pussy footing around usage. At the same time the entire premise behind the device is "touch more, look less". So what does "more usage" really look like? I mean it's not like you can watch Netflix all day on it.

At no point did I mean "I don't understand the concern". I simply meant we have reviewers saying "yeah I used it all day and it wasn't a problem". Every reviewer. If there was truly a concern you'd think one of them would mention it. Instead we have the reviewers saying this in unison and then a bunch of forum posters saying "b-bu-bu-but!!!!" Basically trying to fabricate a crisis/concern when all of the info and reports we have say there isn't one.

About the closest I see the a...valid...comment is the "I don't want to have to charge it at night because reasons!!" I mean it's silly, but at least based in the fact that yes, you have to charge it nightly. Outside of that it seems to be all chicken little cries where no problem exists that we've read (from reviews, not apple provided specs)

Top Bottom