• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are ther any Hookah smokers out there on GAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been smoking Shesha for 18 years. I really would like to get into a discussion with other experience smokers about their experience with different hookahs, tobacco, and coal.

I am a KM man when it comes to the actual Hookah (shisha)
I have fallen in love with the Starbuzz Maximus hose although ver1.0 is miles better than 2.0

My favorite tobacco in the US is Nakhla. Its consistent in 18 years they have never really changed in quality. But to be honest for my brothers in the middle east, when you can walk into a tobacco shop and get Al Waha Cherry from Jordan that they store in those giant containers and just scoop it out for you, well that is just heaven and the best stuff I have ever smoked in my life. Hand mixed Tobacco from Saudi is amazing.

As far as coal goes:
I used to be able to get high quality Japanese coal like Family Train from Saudi, I later leaned that Golden Canary was available in the US. The dip in quality became so bad in these coals, that I switched to Coconut.

I have been using coconut for 3 years now.

Anyone want to discuss share their experience, thoughts? I want to teach as well as learn what I have gained in the last 18 years.

I am sorry for the title misspelling I am on a laptop that doesn't register all keys all the time.

Been smoking too much hookah for about 8 years now.

I like Gaia coconut coals but always have to scroung around local shops to get something decent.

Really interested in the new starbuzz aluminum hookahs

guek

Banned
I used to smoke a ton on the weekends but haven't for the past 4 years or so. I can't smoke it in good conscience, I work in healthcare :-(

MormaPope

Banned
I remember smoking some really fruity, tangy, sticky shesha with a group of friends. We smoked so much that we were all dazed and high off the shit, never really got that messed up off of a tobacco product since.

Wreav

Banned
I smoke on occasion with friends. My buddy bought a Fumo and it's the best money you can spend in the hookah game. Ridiculously expensive, though.

We use coconut coals as well, huge improvement over awful quicklight bullshit, Coco Nara I think they're called. I know he's been ordering his shisha online, comes in cubic black and gold tins, and that stuff is awesome. I'll have to get the name, but we tried every brand we could find locally, and they all pale in comparison.

I try not to over smoke though, since it's just as awful for you as cigs.

I really like the social aspect of sitting around a table and sharing a hookah, but every one I've smoked has had a really gross metallic aftertaste regardless of what flavor tobacco we smoked.

Always enjoy it but don't get to do it too often. My fiance has a really nice hookah she brought when she moved in but the fucking thing doesn't work. She can't figure out why and I'm clueless. Hopefully we can take it somewhere and get it fixed.

Bacon

I do it once in a blue moon, cant really make it a regular thing as it is murders my lungs. Don't know how you do it every night op.

This is it for me. Did it occasionally in college, I always enjoy it in the moment but it completely destroys my lungs for a day or two afterwards. Can't remember the last time I've done it.

Fixed1979

We don't smoke inside so I'm a summer smoker only.

Here's what I'm using now.

khalil-mamoon-sabak-two-hose-ice-chamber-2433.jpg

I've had a couple smaller hookahs in the past, this is my first real one and it's night and day from my previous cheaper pipes.

I'm a double apple man but that's mostly due to availability where I live. Plan on grabbing a couple more hoses in the spring to try out some more flavors.

Use with Coca Nara charcoals and a ceramic vortex bowl.

I also installed a bubbler, I'm not sure how much it helps, but it definitely quiets the thing down.

fawaz

Banned
I am an occasional smoker os shisha, but my friend that must smoke every day say that coconut coal and two apples is the way to go.
Al-Nakhla brand is preferable.

KrellRell

I'm curious, to those of you who do smoke it, why do you smoke it? Particularly, why did you choose it over cigarettes, cigars or weed?

SystemBug

I'm curious, to those of you who do smoke it, why do you smoke it? Particularly, why did you choose it over cigarettes, cigars or weed?
Its more of a social thing. Go to a hookah lounge with my friends or cousins. The one I go to also has awesome food and milkshakes and amazing service so it helps.

Kopite

I have friends who don't smoke any of the above but smoke shisha and love to hang at shisha cafes. It's never done anything for me personally(love the smell though) and I rarely smoke now.

The Lamp

I used to really enjoy hookah, but then I learned that unlike what my friends told me, hookah is really really bad for you and at least as or significantly more dangerous than cigarettes.

A study funded by the National Institutes of Health notes that a single hookah session delivers 1.7 times the nicotine, 6.5 times the carbon monoxide and 46.4 times the tar of a single cigarette.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/quit-smoking/expert-answers/hookah/faq-20057920

http://www.businessinsider.com/hookah-is-worse-than-a-half-pack-a-day-cigarette-habit-2013-4

http://www.dallasnews.com/lifestyle...okah-is-safer-than-cigarettes-think-again.ece

There was a thread a while back but I can't find it.

Anyway, I got a new piece over the summer from Turkey, I usually smoke social smoke, all kinds of flavored.

Edit: here is a pic.

Unicorn

I used to really enjoy hookah, but then I learned that unlike what my friends told me, hookah is really really bad for you and at least as or significantly more dangerous than cigarettes.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/quit-smoking/expert-answers/hookah/faq-20057920

http://www.businessinsider.com/hookah-is-worse-than-a-half-pack-a-day-cigarette-habit-2013-4

http://www.dallasnews.com/lifestyle...okah-is-safer-than-cigarettes-think-again.ece

Yup. I used to smoke Hookah a lot, but after finding out some facts decided to stop.

commedieu

Banned
My biggest mistake was trying to smoke it like smoking a bong. Total mistake.

I havent smoked anything in a few years though.

that was a mistake because its super thick/concerntrated smoke or something..? I tried it a few times puffed and didn't inhale as I thought it would make me sick. Didn't want to look like a jackass in front of the people offering it. So just moved on with my life. I smoke weed/cigs/cigars on occasion, but hookah was always a mystery.

J. Bravo

My friends and I would go to this hookah bar all the time. Just to chill and hit on babes. I didn't inhale much but I do like the flavor.

Anyways, the bar got shut down. Rumor was there was a herpes outbreak that started there. Haven't gotten checked yet but that was a full two summers ago. Always use a mouthpiece kids!

I've considerably toned down my usage due to finding out about its health effects but I like to get a smoke once every other week. Feels great with ice.

Jhoan

It's a nice relaxing buzz that never gets too intense or intoxicating. Plus chillin with your bros in a lounge sharing a bowl is fun.

Agree with this. Went to a hookah bar twice last year with friends and while I had my reservations about the health effects, I kept an open mind and did it. Grape flavored one was pretty good. It was a bit on the pricey side though the buzz was indeed pretty nice. Once in several months it's not so bad. Still alive. I haven't gone to a hookah bar since last June as I've had no reason to go back.

Honestly, I thought this thread about the recent Health Department's announcement to shut down down several hookah bars here in NYC:

http://gothamist.com/2015/01/07/hookah_bar_crackdown.php

nOoblet16

do you inhale hookah? Never knew... never asked, always curious.

Actually flavoured sheesha are meant to be tasted rather than meant for the buzz, which is why you can smoke them like cigar and not inhale them if you choose to.
The unflavoured traditional sheesha from middle east or south asia is meant for the buzz so you would get nothing out of not inhaling them.

mrmisterwaa

Neo Member
I haven't had the Tobacco variant in some time now. It's extremely expensive in Canada compared to the Middle East.

You could easily buy some good quality tobacco for under 3 - 4 dollars for about a pound.

I have tried the non-tobacco variants and they are okay. I have had many different experiences with Hookah. I personally prefer the coconut charcoal but there was this charcoal that is used for barbecues in the Middle East that is just perfect for Hookah.

It burns perfectly with no chemical-like taste to it.

I would rank Lemon at the very top for flavour. Mint tends to complement a lot of the flavours out there.

I have tried a Red Bull flavour that tasted very artificial it tasted ok.

ILoveBish

I have a lavoo, the long glass cylinder one. It's incredible. I only smoke when I have guests to entertain, otherwise I never use it.

I have a roomate that doesn't drink or smoke otherwise, but we found out she has a legit Hookah set-up. Good hookah, case, shisha, coals, the whole deal. Some of my other roomate are getting way more into it than I am, but we had a good smoke-out last week and I was impressed. Super smooth, tasted ok (They keep getting some Lemon Shisha I'm not thrilled about but that's fine)

We spend a few hours with the Hooka on the table, smoking and playing pinball. It was good.

Wreav

Banned

It's legal, it smells/tastes great compared to cigars or cigarettes to me, and it's extremely social. Also prefer a good hookah buzz over an alcohol buzz.

Love a good hookah session. I don't do it as much as I used to since I have a nice apartment now and don't want smoke it out. Get me a good hookah bar when I can lounge nicely and I'm set for hours. When I visited Istanbul last year I was in a hookah bar every single day.

Reppin' GAF too

Mortemis

Banned
Not all that often, I go to hookah bars with friends every so often but its mostly to hang out rather than smoke. Not all that big a fan, its alright.

It last for an hour, and the amount of smoke has an effect on me. Also the flavor is appealing.

I guess no one smokes like I do, everyone is vaping. All I hear is yeah not as much as I used to...........

I used to quite a lot.

I was an amateaur though. I bought a 30 dollar hooka off of amazon and some cheap coals and shisha. I would smoke a few times a week, a couple bowls each time.

I love the smell and the buzz it gives you. It's great with company, equivalent to drinking a beer.

I only stopped because my now girlfriend finds it "highly unattractive".

Brakke

Banned

Well yeah of course it's worse than a single cigarette, you're basically chain-smoking for 45-60 minutes.

I really love hookah. I keep thinking about getting one myself but I like that not owning one means I only do it once every couple months. I'm afraid that if I had one I'd be smoking every day.

We used to do it all the time in high school because my friend circle all lived far away from each other and we had to drive when we got together so drinking wasn't really an option.

Hookah's a great way to learn to blow smoke rings. Post up for a long time inside under dim lights with think smoke, real easy to practice.

DeadNames

Banned
I've smoked hookah pens with my friends before, was pretty fun. Except we had an orange flavor one that was nasty.

My brother has a blueberry reusable pen that's amazing.

Does anyone have experience with Regal hookahs?

I have one sitting at my door when I get home from work. I bought the Setm oinoy, becasue they are expensive as fook.

This is the one I bought.

14268906226232107676713.jpeg

Damn, I have not smoked since this thread was first made!

Anyway, that's just the stem right? Where is the basin?

Im going to use one that have already.the Stem alone ran close to $200.00

I am done with KM for a while. I am getting tired of them.

I have many bases at home one must fit the regal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom