• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are ther any Hookah smokers out there on GAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxdoHawk

At some point, a married couple I hang out with regularly bought one and we started "Hookah Mondays", where a bunch of us would just chill at their place and puff/pass in the evenings after work. I'd bring a cooler filled with frosty beers and some cheese/other snacks too, it was a good time. After awhile nobody wanted to do it anymore though, which was pretty disappointing.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I smoke a lot of Hookah, pretty much every week. I am also middle eastern though so it is in my blood, haha.

I smoke a lot of Hookah, pretty much every week. I am also middle eastern though so it is in my blood, haha.

Ive been smoking it for 20 years now on a daily basis

A friend told me recently that this was safe, I thought it wasn't in regards to the lungs?

I do not believe there is such thing as safe smoke, However I can tell you that the tar levels and nicotine levels (though it varies) of hookah tobacco are no where near as close to cigs.

Its the shit. Im a social smoker over the last 6 years. A friend just gave me theirs recently because they own 5 of them. I smoked a couple times since, but I'm more of a social smoker and await company.

But I am going to a hookah Lounge this Friday though.

slightly off topic, but the method used to smoke out of a "hookah" of sorts in half baked is totally legit. For special occasions only, for sure.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

I do not believe there is such thing as safe smoke, However I can tell you that the tar levels and nicotine levels (though it varies) of hookah tobacco are no where near as close to cigs.

Have you ever tried using fruit/juice in the base or wine instead of water? I haven't but I hear it adds a nice sweetness to the smoke.

Have you ever tried using fruit/juice in the base or wine instead of water? I haven't but I hear it adds a nice sweetness to the smoke.

Ive smoked bowls made out of apple at Gehwa's (coffee shops)

Ive put oranges in the base, rose water, They are nice, and add little by way of taste in my opinion.

TxdoHawk

A friend told me recently that this was safe, I thought it wasn't in regards to the lungs?

Inhaling any kind of smoke into your lungs will damage them to one extent or another, so no, hookah is not "safe". It may or may not be safer than cigarettes, there haven't been a lot of extensive studies done on this and the few that exist draw different conclusions.

Does anyone have experience with Regal hookahs?

I have one sitting at my door when I get home from work. I bought the Setm oinoy, becasue they are expensive as fook.

This is the one I bought.

14268906226232107676713.jpeg

in one hour I will be smoking this. I cant wait.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Khalil Mamoon hookahs are the best in my opinion. Great build as well as smoke quality.

Honest question to 18+ year life hookah smoker: Any side effects? Anything you notice about your health?

I smoke hookah maybe once a month for the past 2 years. My friends do it a lot more. There are no good chilling lounges in Toronto area, and Shisha lounges have taken over in abundance.

Coldsun

Banned
I smoke quite regularly. Exclusively Tangiers these days.

Heres a portion of my collection collected over the years while I was figuring out what I liked.

525888_10150747880175017_1225829095_n.jpg

My current prized hookah
579144_10151153953845017_1839659902_n.jpg

On a huge break from weed but thinking I need to make a run to colorado to check out what they got.

Tobacco only organic american spirits now and then. Tobacco and pot would be way too much for me in something like that. All I need is a 1/4 of a smoke or a pinch of weed.

fwoibles

I have been smoking for about 15 years, using real basic stuff. I understand the recent hype for more professional gear and gimmicks, mainly because most people can't build a hookah for shit but I never needed it. My next hookah will be a bit more flashy and way bigger than the coke-bottle-high one I have right now but there won't be much difference in taste.

Still believing in finding the Masala-tobacco again which was brought from India by a friend. Such great taste.

Kurita

Hate cigarettes and weed but loooove hookah.
Only smoke it when I'm at a party though, I don't have one. It's not the same when you're alone anyway.

Don't smoke myself but a colleague does and he was worried about the health problems with the coal. He butchered an toaster and made this crazy contraptions to light the hookah with electricity/heat instead of using coal.

It works but looks kinda silly and is really sensitive and hard to set up correctly.

Honest question to 18+ year life hookah smoker: Any side effects? Anything you notice about your health?

I smoke hookah maybe once a month for the past 2 years. My friends do it a lot more. There are no good chilling lounges in Toronto area, and Shisha lounges have taken over in abundance.

No, I have aphysical done every year. Lungs are still good. I also work out and do cardio evey weekened.

Long term no term side effects that I can recognize for me. Other than nicotine addiction.

By the way as a life long KM user, I have to say that my Regal Hookah which is American made, I was so fkn impressed. The draw is amazing, and the build quality is sick. It better be for the price.

Worth every bit of the $200. While KM is amazing too, since its pretty much entirely hand made, there are so many irregularities.

I smoke quite regularly. Exclusively Tangiers these days.

Heres a portion of my collection collected over the years while I was figuring out what I liked.

525888_10150747880175017_1225829095_n.jpg

My current prized hookah
579144_10151153953845017_1839659902_n.jpg

Thanks for sharing man. thats a nice collection. I have recently cut my size down to three good working hookahs. I hate calling it that by the way. I have always called it shesha, or shisha.

I went on a Tangiers kick for a few years, but when they discontinued Lucid I stopped.

I am not a fan of caffeine injected tobacco, or they other gimmicks they use.

genjiZERO

Love it, but sadly don't have anyone to smoke it with anymore. I had it when I was in Palestine/Israel and I much preferred it there. They didn't have a million flavors (most places just had one), but it was a lot milder overall.

Favorite mix is spearmint and blueberry

And yet...

I used to really enjoy hookah, but then I learned that unlike what my friends told me, hookah is really really bad for you and at least as or significantly more dangerous than cigarettes.

A study funded by the National Institutes of Health notes that a single hookah session delivers 1.7 times the nicotine, 6.5 times the carbon monoxide and 46.4 times the tar of a single cigarette.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/quit-smoking/expert-answers/hookah/faq-20057920

http://www.businessinsider.com/hookah-is-worse-than-a-half-pack-a-day-cigarette-habit-2013-4

http://www.dallasnews.com/lifestyle...okah-is-safer-than-cigarettes-think-again.ece

Never smoked anything, but when I read the first studies on the effects of hookah, it guaranteed I'd never try it. Have/had friends that would smoke often and convinced themselves there are virtually no health effects.

Mendrox

I am one of the biggest hookah reviewer here in Germany since 7 or 8 years. We made our own hose and my friend ala opened his own shop last year.

Youtube: www.youtube.com/ShishaForU

We have tested some cool things like Meduse hookahs (costs about 5000$). :)

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/study-finds-hookah-tobacco-less-toxic-than-cigarettes

http://www.ibtimes.com/hookah-smoke...-contains-lower-levels-4-toxic-metals-1403676

Don't believe the hype man.

Smoking is bad for you 100%.

Im here to talk about the love for it, Not to discuss the cigs vs hookah debate.

But you're the one who said it's less harmful than cigarettes; I wouldn't have brought up The Lamp's post if you hadn't said that. Prologue asked if it was safe and you made the claim it was safer than a cigarette.

This is the first story under "Recommended Stories" in the Vice article you linked. (NSFW banner image) Published ten months later by a different writer and links the NIH study

The two links you posted point to the same study.

The link I provided in this post links to the NIH study and The Lamp's post links to another study and quotes a researcher not affiliated with either study.

By all means, smoke as much as you like, but I'm just pointing out an inaccuracy.

Wreav

Banned
I've been smoking hookah for about 5-6 years, about once a month or so, thanks to a friend that got pretty into it. Over that time, we've settled on the following as the top-tier.

Coals: Coco Nara, pretty hard to find locally

Shisha: Argelini, slow to burn, long lasting, super smooth flavor, decent smoke thickness, TONS of great flavors

Hookah: Fumo, absolute top tier materials, beautiful in every way, lots of different styles.

Currently I am smoking Nakhla exclusively I prefer Basha Grape, Mizo Grap, and Ice Apple.

With Titanium coals, a harmony phunnel bowl.

Starbuzz maximus hose is the best hose I have ever used.

Coldsun

Banned
Thanks for sharing man. thats a nice collection. I have recently cut my size down to three good working hookahs. I hate calling it that by the way. I have always called it shesha, or shisha.

I went on a Tangiers kick for a few years, but when they discontinued Lucid I stopped.

I am not a fan of caffeine injected tobacco, or they other gimmicks they use.

Did you prefer lucid because it was washed or because it didn't need acclimation? If so, their new process has pretty much removed the need for any serious acclimation processs (simply requiring you to squish it in the pack now for a minute before opening).

The caffeinated line (F-Line) was discontinued as well. Their noir is still just unwashed tobacco which produces a great buzz, and their burley line is is simply well.. a different tobacco. There really isn't any gimmicks these days :).

What do you smoke these days?

So I can not recommend the D-hose 2.0 enough. Its very very good.

Hose-DHose-2.0-GoldBlack-L.jpg

Did you prefer lucid because it was washed or because it didn't need acclimation? If so, their new process has pretty much removed the need for any serious acclimation processs (simply requiring you to squish it in the pack now for a minute before opening).

The caffeinated line (F-Line) was discontinued as well. Their noir is still just unwashed tobacco which produces a great buzz, and their burley line is is simply well.. a different tobacco. There really isn't any gimmicks these days :).

What do you smoke these days?

I liked it because it was washed.

I have been smoking Nakhla Mizo Blueberry and Al fahker Banana Montana.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom