• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrowhead Games: "We want to be the next From Software or Blizzard"

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

"We pride ourselves on being an independent studio," Pilestedt says. "We have to see what the future holds, but there’s nothing in the plans where we want to be acquired by somebody. I want to see how high we can fly. And bringing Shams on board, we have a good potential to realise that future of turning into the next From Software or Blizzard."

Jorjani adds: "The goal of the studio is to make really great co-op games. We really want to turn Arrowhead into a flagship studio, where people who want to make these kind-of games say to themselves: ‘I want to work at Arrowhead’. When we were growing up, we really wanted to work at Blizzard, it was one of the bucket list places to work at. I think Arrowhead has the potential to be that.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

MNWTtA.gif

Last edited:

Tomi

We hope too

You made a hella good game, and we cant w8 to see updates.
Helldivers 3 will be great gsme for sure!

That sounds good.

Hopefully they are able to dissect their success and recreate on consistent basis.

Palworld devs should’ve acted like this, instead they went back to their hole. Typical Japanese dev behaviour.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
But blizzard merged into Activision then sold to Microsoft.

That said, they shouldve made enough money to last at least 30 years. Game sold 12 million at $40 so $480 million. 30% steam and PSN cut gets them around $340 million. a small studio like them should be able to make 10 $30 million games like helldivers 2.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
But blizzard merged into Activision then sold to Microsoft.

That said, they shouldve made enough money to last at least 30 years. Game sold 12 million at $40 so $480 million. 30% steam and PSN cut gets them around $340 million. a small studio like them should be able to make 10 $30 million games like helldivers 2.

Gonna be interesting to see how Arrowhead and the Palworld devs use all that cash.

FUBARx89

SuPK7to.jpeg

Can't speak for Blizzard, but no chance of being like Fromsoft, well unless you count them nerfing everything into the ground to make it "difficult"

Holammer

Good luck when Sony owns your IP
They'll make enough money to fund their own games after HD2. Plus they got some extra clout dealing with investors for future projects with a massive hit under their belt.
Hell, just like From Software they developed the tech that'll run "Dark Divers".

Coming 2028 for PC, Playstation, Xbox & Mega Nintendo.

Keep Arrowhead hungry to be the best they can be. Acquisitions can be good in certain instances, but you never know what will happen when the execs at a studio get a massive money bag once acquired. A lot of the time it is not the same company, especially when many of the studios founders end up leaving. This is good for the industry, and Arrowhead has every reason to improve upon Helldivers for years to come

Last edited:

Mokus

They can try, why not... But Blizzard Entertainment is not anymore what once was and From Software after 20 years of mediocre existence needed pure luck with Miyazaki to try his best on a somewhat considered failed project, Demon's Souls.

Trust me, you don't want to be the next Blizzard, they are fucking trash these days.

From Software?
Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

From Software are in a league of their own in my opinion.

Multiplayer developers aren't nearly as reliant on IP. Helldivers 2 didn't take off because people cared about the name.

tell that to all the CoD clones that failed

Once it gets big people don’t care about who develops it

CoD is made by tons of studios so clearly infinity ward and its founders weren’t necessary to maintain success

Hudo

Then they need to deliver good, memorable singleplayer content. Otherwise they are nothing more than some live-service dev.

Holammer

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

You have just released 1 good game. Which is still extremely buggy. And you already want to compare yourself to Blizzard and From... that's silly.
Let's be 100% fair here, we're not talking about a new kid on the block as Arrowhead has been around since 2008. Magicka was a pretty decent hit for its time and their take on Gauntlet was alright.

They could make a new Magicka with the current engine and it would sell. Lyrics on this old DLC trailer cracks me up every time.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Let's be 100% fair here, we're not talking about a new kid on the block as Arrowhead has been around since 2008. Magicka was a pretty decent hit for its time and their take on Gauntlet was alright.

They could make a new Magicka with the current engine and it would sell. Lyrics on this old DLC trailer cracks me up every time.

Hmm, I didn't know that Magica was from them. However, I've never played Magica for more than 30 minutes.

schaft0620

I like this because it says two things,

1. We were not acquired by Sony, there is no pending announcement. We are not going to be acquired by Sony.
2. They are working on another game that is not Helldivers 3 but, they plan to make a Helldivers 3.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
tell that to all the CoD clones that failed

Once it gets big people don’t care about who develops it

CoD is made by tons of studios so clearly infinity ward and its founders weren’t necessary to maintain success

Multiplayer generally doesn't work this way. A Purgatory Droppers that improves on Helldivers 2 would do just as well if released 5 years from now. Multiplayer is a gameplay oriented medium.

Top Bottom