• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed all-time sales top 140 million.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Assassin’s Creed is already one of the best-selling videogame series of all-time, but despite topping charts for more than a decade, Ubisoft shows no sign of slowing down. A press kit released earlier this year confirms that the franchise has now sold more than 140 million units.

The press kit, shared earlier today by industry analyst Daniel Ahmad, cements the franchise’s place as Ubisoft’s top-selling title, with “140+ million units sold,” and 95 million unique players. That puts it above big names like Far Cry, which has shipped 50 million units since its second outing, and Splinter Cell, which has sold more than 30 million since its inception in 2002.

Admittedly, all those sales come across a total of more than 20 games, but it’s an undeniably impressive total, especially when you consider the series’ growth in recent years. Back in 2016, Ubisoft revealed that the series had shipped more than 100 million copies, meaning that in three years, it’s sold more than many of Ubisoft’s most notable franchises.

Good for them, while Origins and Odyssey are similar or might feel similar I believe Odyssey was very true to its name, the whole game is basically an adventure filled with interesting characters and places to visit and it proves side quests can and should be as good as the main ones. I didnt even care about the cultists in the game and all I wanted to do was just move on to the next island and find interesting things to do and hopefully for their next game they make exploration even more of a bigger deal.

Birdo

Banned
I loved The Crew. Never got around to the sequel. But the original was awesome (When the servers were working).

Oberstein

AC is fascinating.
This is an IP that has succeeded in making its mark on popular culture beyond the gamers' circle. The franchise has always survived even after controversies and sales drops (Syndicate).

Well, now I find that Odyssey is really moving away from the basic model. I wish they would go back to the Middle Ages while remaining an "Assassin's Creed", and not just "Visit a new country + RPG".
In any case, the sales are impressive.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I am confused. 140 million, 95 million unique players. Does that include used copies and multi gamer households tied to unique gamerIDs? What if someone's little brother plays for 10 minutes and stops?

I have lost count of how many mainline games there have been. Is it 10? How do they count units? Is it only the game proper or is DLC a unit?

Portugeezer

Gold Member
I am confused. 140 million, 95 million unique players. Does that include used copies and multi gamer households tied to unique gamerIDs? What if someone's little brother plays for 10 minutes and stops?

I have lost count of how many mainline games there have been. Is it 10? How do they count units? Is it only the game proper or is DLC a unit?
Some people buy more than 1 AC game, which is why 95 million can buy 140 million games.

It probably does include used copies and they get the number from online IDs. I don't see how else they could count players.

Last edited:

iorek21

Best of luck to AC, it has a lot of issues, and it has never reached the peak of AC2/Brotherhood ever since, but I just love this franchise

joe_zazen

Yeah, probably wasted 300 hours in total in AC games before realizing it was corporate shit, not even on the level of the MCU or mediocre young adult fiction.

A gaming company that can create a compelling, well written, well planned universe with a grand 10 or 20 year EPIC story over several games and/or franchises would be a dream. But for fuck sake, please NO SUPERHEROES! I was hoping Destiny was going to be that back in 2014, still mad about that shitshow if a story.

xool

I'll bite - how is Odyssey - some people say good things about it ..

I tried Origins but quit as I got to Alexandria (I think) - being kind I'd put it down to open-world fatigue - I like collectathon/clear out bandit bases, but only once every 2-3 years - being more critical - bows felt like reskinned guns (the sniper one with the literal zoom view and ring to look through for example) .. melee combat was a little jank but actually ok, but the constant drops of trash weapons got old very quickly .. got tired of the eagle (drone) real quick .. the writing and especially the start was straight up bad .. also finding a bandit camp that (afaict) looked exactly the same as the lvl.7 one I just cleared out but now the bandits were lvl.30 with red-skull icons that one shotted me just ended it for me ("cookie cutter") - I'd played for literally 1.5 hours (?) and the game was telling me I'd seen everything...

tbh I could say the same of the Witcher 3 (excluding the writing) [which Origins seemed to have been heavily influenced by] .. so generously I call it "open world fatigue"

..but did Odyssey make stuff better ? or just more of the same.

[edit - should have never killed desmond]

Last edited:

joe_zazen

I tried Origins but quit as I got to Alexandria (I think) - being kind I'd put it down to open-world fatigue - I like collectathon/clear out bandit bases, but only once every 2-3 years - being more critical - bows felt like reskinned guns (the sniper one with the literal zoom view and ring to look through for example) .. melee combat was a little jank but actually ok, but the constant drops of trash weapons got old very quickly .. got tired of the eagle (drone) real quick .. the writing and especially the start was straight up bad .. also finding a bandit camp that (afaict) looked exactly the same as the lvl.7 one I just cleared out but now the bandits were lvl.30 with red-skull icons that one shotted me just ended it for me ("cookie cutter") - I'd played for literally 1.5 hours (?) and the game was telling me I'd seen everything...

tbh I could say the same of the Witcher 3 (excluding the writing) [which Origins seemed to have been heavily influenced by] .. so generously I call it "open world fatigue"

..but did Odyssey make stuff better ? or just more of the same.

[edit - should have never killed desmond]

If Origins was a 3meter diameter sewage pipe spewing open world content, Odyssey was a 4.5 m diameter pipe.

& yeah, the end of Desmond arc was a travesty of storytelling.

Oberstein

At least Desmond's story wasn't as bad as Layla's (this is an industrial disaster).
Actually, I liked the modern history of Black Flag. We avoid messiah syndrome as a plot.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
At least Desmond's story wasn't as bad as Layla's (this is an industrial disaster).
Actually, I liked the modern history of Black Flag. We avoid messiah syndrome as a plot.

In the old ACs I really like the modern day stuff up until the end of ACIII, I loved Desmond's story, but I can not stand Layla or her story. Much as I liked modern day in old AC I'd rather they skip it altogether if they're going to stick with with Layla and her pals.

xool xool Odyssey is one of my top 5 games this gen, while I didn't like Origins as much as Odyssey, I liked it a lot so I can't say whether you would like or not.

Kenpachii

Personally really liked origins, but i like egypt mythology a lot so the pharaoh dlc was godly for me. And really liked the architecture.

Odyssey same thing, however the base game was just plain bad in my vision. The DLC made up for it big time tho.

The biggest issue i got with assassin creed is there price and performance in game. If they can fix that they will sell a lot more copy's tho.

Elios83

They won't get no more sales from me if the formula stays the same as Origins and Odyssey. Bland RPGs with forced level barriers to try to convince players to buy boosters.

jakinov

For Honor sold that much?

Wtf
So Rainbow 6 has 50 million players (sales?) over one game and Assasins Creed has done 140 over 20 games...
Online games are really popular and they sell stripped down versions of these games for really cheap to get high player counts. Most played games nowadays are pretty multiplayer heavy (or at least people have come to care about the MP more).

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

I tried Origins but quit as I got to Alexandria (I think) - being kind I'd put it down to open-world fatigue

I mean, it's built on the Origins template so...

I really liked it but it helps that I really enjoy that time period so for me the virtual tourism aspect of it was a big deal. The game is quite long and there is some repetitive copy paste effect (the ninth time a quest asks you to kill the region leader you'll scream ath the screen) but there's a lot of activites and if you don't feel like doing something now you can go do something else in the meantime. There's also some legit great quests in there and an endgame that came out of nowhere!

There's some off beats in the story like how the secret story arc starts really well but becomes sorta tedious at some point and then ends in a whimper.

With the amount of systems they're juggling, if they continue developing in this direction I feel Ubisoft can stumble into something really special. But they need to bulk up their narrative team and developer supporting the narratives with scripting, etc.

"players"

The Phil Spencer effect.

Fuck lol I got duped!

Sybrix

I was done with AC after Black Flag, got so stale and dull.

Black Flag was the last good AC, its a shame what happened to it by just chruning out the same crap each game. Ubisoft clearly focused on making money only and not innovation.

burningheart

Neo Member
Do they want a medal? They butchered the storyline at the end of AC III.

AC IV made it clear the series was just going to run... and run... and run... until any charm or uniqueness had long fizzled away.

AC Unity told us that Ubi would shit out any broken trash to make money, and the removal of the Juno arc from games to be finished in other media (!) was the absolute last admission they simply don’t give a fuck about anything very much.

I enjoyed Origins and that was my last AC, period. From everything I read about Odyssey I see I made the right choice.

Last edited:

Yoda

I stopped playing around AC:Revelations. Story felt like an afterthought and the gameplay was bland/repetitive. I've avoided the new RPG-light as didn't hear much praise about the story, RPG-light doesn't really interested me, and being blunt Ubisoft open-worlds lack depth and get boring after a few hours.

Top Bottom