• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 sales top 11 million (six million copies sold in the last six months)

Gambit2483

The writing is a huge part of what makes this series so good. The fact that they really work hard to build characters and relationships and not just expect action alone to drive it.

None of y'all know what good writing is or give a shit, this is all just a weird crusade about a consultancy that barely did anything on this game.
The writing during the Scream boss fight was some of the worst, most cringe dialog I've ever heard in anything Spider-Man related ever. The writing during the final plan was stupid too. Why would you send MJ, a regular human with zero training or super powers into a Symbiote Den? That's just fucking stupid. The writing was worse than the first game imo.

Didn't the first game end up selling 33 million? All these Sony sequels tend to do less business, when they should be doing more. I think that's partly due to the fact that writing-wise, woke-wise, pandering-wise, all these games are getting worse. Certainly these sequels don't seem like they're all they could and should be.

Doom85

Didn't the first game end up selling 33 million? All these Sony sequels tend to do less business, when they should be doing more. I think that's partly due to the fact that writing-wise, woke-wise, pandering-wise, all these games are getting worse. Certainly these sequels don't seem like they're all they could and should be.

You’re getting so many facts wrong.

Spider-man 1 sold 13.2 million by August 2019, nearly a year after release, while Spider-man 2 has only been out for 7 months. The 33 million sold was for both the 2018 game and Miles Morales combined and that was by May 2022, nearly four years after release. Also, there were over 90 million PS4 owners by the end of 2018, while there are over 50 million PS5 owners right now, and since Spider-Man 2 is a PS5 exclusive, there is a smaller amount of people who have the system to play it.

The first fact alone actually means for now in terms of sales periods of an equal length of time that Spidey 2 is outselling 1, as it’s only below 2 million but has four months to catch up and is achieving that despite there being roughly 40 million less PS5 owners compared to PS4 owners of the relevant time periods.

You’re getting so many facts wrong.

Spider-man 1 sold 13.2 million by August 2019, nearly a year after release, while Spider-man 2 has only been out for 7 months. The 33 million sold was for both the 2018 game and Miles Morales combined and that was by May 2022, nearly four years after release. Also, there were over 90 million PS4 owners by the end of 2018, while there are over 50 million PS5 owners right now, and since Spider-Man 2 is a PS5 exclusive, there is a smaller amount of people who have the system to play it.

The first fact alone actually means for now in terms of sales periods of an equal length of time that Spidey 2 is outselling 1, as it’s only below 2 million but has four months to catch up and is achieving that despite there being roughly 40 million less PS5 owners compared to PS4 owners of the relevant time periods.
Fair enough, I thought the 33 million figure was for the first game. Fan reaction is definitely cooling and I think sales will eventually reflect that if they keep on their current trajectory. We've seen that in cinema with the Marvel movies. I don't think any of the recent major Sony sequels are basking in the same kind of post-release adoration as their predecessors.

The game is outselling the first game during the same time frame and with less consoles out there...

SteadyEvo

Good for them. Not their best work but it’s far from a bad game. Definitely overstayed its welcome. Questionable enemy design and encounters towards the end. And some segments that should be removed. But overall solid.

Please give Spidey an extended vacation. He deserves it.

The writing during the Scream boss fight was some of the worst, most cringe dialog I've ever heard in anything Spider-Man related ever. The writing during the final plan was stupid too. Why would you send MJ, a regular human with zero training or super powers into a Symbiote Den? That's just fucking stupid. The writing was worse than the first game imo.

I just finished it last night. It had some stupid moments for sure but overall I loved the game. The scream boss fight wasn't that bad IMO but yes MJ going into the symbiote nest was dumb. I grew up watching these cartoons as a kid though and even that would have dumb writing every now and then. It's kind of par for the course in comic.

Top Bottom