• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity - PC Performance thread

Sigh...I was using my dualshock 4 controller since I got this game. Unity recognizes it out of the box, the icons changed, and even the touchpad worked. Then out of nowhere the analog stick calibration messed up and now its unplayable. When the sticks are in the center, it sees that as them being up and to the side. When I move them, they work fine. Restarting the PC doesn't fix it. The controller works perfect with every other game, so it is not the cause.

Sent a detailed message to ubisoft support and they just told me the dualshock 4 isn't supported, and didn't even attempt to help. F ubisoft. I like this game (it's my first assassin's creed), but from now on I will never buy any of their games. Glad I got it for free from nvidia. Can't believe people pay 60 bucks for this trash.

I've had this issue on my DS3 controllers but its actually the sticks get a bit stuck and never center properly after a few months from new. Because its very slight this only affects some games, most seem to have a bit of deadzone.

jose1

I've had this issue on my DS3 controllers but its actually the sticks get a bit stuck and never center properly after a few months from new. Because its very slight this only affects some games, most seem to have a bit of deadzone.

This is not my issue, i'm 100% sure it is a software issue with Unity. Here's why:
1. When both sticks are in the center, arno moves forward, and the camera pans right really fast as if the stick is all the way out, not slightly off center.
2. When I move the left stick slightly, the right stick dead zone functions normally, the camera stops spinning.
3. When I move the right stick slightly, the left stick dead zone functions normally, arno stops walking by himself. (and the camera pans much slower than when I let go of the stick).

I just verified my install files and Uplay found 32 mb of corrupt files. I was excited, thinking it was the cause of the issue, but nope, it still persists.

Any info on much needed Patch 5? This game is still loaded with issues and I haven't read anything about Ubi making further improvements. :/

Any info on much needed Patch 5? This game is still loaded with issues and I haven't read anything about Ubi making further improvements. :/

I think they've finished pretending to care.

Unity is going to improve only through new drivers and hardware from here on.

Serandur

I think they've finished pretending to care.

Unity is going to improve only through new drivers and hardware from here on.

They flat out said 4 was the last one so unless they include one with dead kings it's all ogre boys

But... patch 4 completely screwed up SLI, which was working great before it. They're not even going to fix that? What is this bullshit? :/

Is there anyway for me to revert to a previous patch?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The Dead Kings patch just hit Steam, and, yes, there's going to be a fifth proper patch -- there's been a "tu5" (i.e. title update 5) dev branch for a week now.

Human_me

That tessellation Patch better happen.

I'm confident it will, but I'm expecting it will cripple performance on all graphics cards.

JaseC

Have you got a source for this? I haven't heard anything about the much-needed 5th patch.
15 days ago said:

Is there any word on 1.5? At all? Are we going to ever get it?

I posted news of a fifth update three posts before yours. ;)

Static Jak

It doesn't even function...

I know it's Ubi, but that is a low unlike anything I have ever seen...
Oh trust me, I know. I can hardly play more than a few minutes before I have to turn it off. The game is just a mess.

So much pop in, stutters, freezing, broken SLI, the odd crash and so on. This game should have been this years AC with Rogue being on all platforms last year.

At least with another year we might have had a working game instead of a barely functioning one.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone run this on a GTX 670 at all ? Just wondering how it runs on that card and I'm kind of stuck with it for a bit due to financial reasons. I'm guessing I'd have to turn some settings down and lock it to 30fps but I guess even that would be better than a console version anyway.

Has anyone run this on a GTX 670 at all ? Just wondering how it runs on that card and I'm kind of stuck with it for a bit due to financial reasons. I'm guessing I'd have to turn some settings down and lock it to 30fps but I guess even that would be better than a console version anyway.

I've done fine with it, relatively speaking. I haven't played for a while so I can't comment on the newest patch, but it was playable. I put in about 15 hours until I decided to wait until it was less glitchy.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I've done fine with it, relatively speaking. I haven't played for a while so I can't comment on the newest patch, but it was playable. I put in about 15 hours until I decided to wait until it was less glitchy.

Thanks :) I'm in no rush to pick it up just yet so I'll either have a new graphics card by then (not likely tbh) or it'll at least be as patched as it's going to be by the time I pick it up.

I have a stupid niggling issue whereby for the 1st few mins after booting the game the game can randomly freeze for a second at a time, it usually happens like 3 times in the first few mins and then it runs completely fine

It looks like vram hitching but it only happens when i boot the game its very strange :(

Static Jak

I have a stupid niggling issue whereby for the 1st few mins after booting the game the game can randomly freeze for a second at a time, it usually happens like 3 times in the first few mins and then it runs completely fine

It looks like vram hitching but it only happens when i boot the game its very strange :(

I've had that happen. It might freeze up for a few seconds and then it's fine.

I installed the newest nvidia driver and gforce experience, it recommended me to use TXAA and soft shadows, it runs over 30 fps on my gtx 970, but TXAA is too soft for my tastes, so I went to the worse IQ but sharper FXAA, keeping soft shadows (I was playing it with this exact same settings), and it might be placebo, but I think it runs much better.
It stays closer to 60 fps most of the time, before it was 45-50 fps for most of the time.

Maybe it was a different place, more NPCs, whatever, or maybe even placebo, but I feel the game smoother now. Can anybody confirm (or deny) this?

780 ti
4770k at 4.2 ghz
16 GB RAM

Overall it runs pretty solid for me. Can't say I'm experienceing any of the issues that are plaguing many people.

One thing I have noticed however is that if I play the game for several hours it seems the framerate starts to take a dive unless I shut the game off for a little while. Anyone heard of anything like this?

Corpekata

Banned
I installed the newest nvidia driver and gforce experience, it recommended me to use TXAA and soft shadows, it runs over 30 fps on my gtx 970, but TXAA is too soft for my tastes, so I went to the worse IQ but sharper FXAA, keeping soft shadows (I was playing it with this exact same settings), and it might be placebo, but I think it runs much better.
It stays closer to 60 fps most of the time, before it was 45-50 fps for most of the time.

Maybe it was a different place, more NPCs, whatever, or maybe even placebo, but I feel the game smoother now. Can anybody confirm (or deny) this?

Are you asking if FXAA runs better than TXAA?

daninthemix

One thing I have noticed however is that if I play the game for several hours it seems the framerate starts to take a dive unless I shut the game off for a little while. Anyone heard of anything like this?

Sounds like either RAM or VRAM is being gobbled up by a memory leak.

Are you asking if FXAA runs better than TXAA?

No, sorry I confused you with all that poor wording and explaining irrelevant stuff.

Before the new drivers I was using FXAA and soft shadows, and the game stayed in 45-50~ fps and went to 60 fps occasionally

With the new drivers, with the same settings, it goes to 60 fps more constantly, or at least that's my impression. I wasn't expecting a performance upgrade (since it wasn't mentioned on the release notes), but it could be placebo (different place )

Does that mean I have faulty hardware? Or is it the game itself causing it?

A memory leak happens when a program asks for memory but doesn't notify the system when it's done using it. The system can't free memory without the program's permission (because it's unsafe to do that) and the program forgets about the allocated memory, so the leaked memory will just float off and take up space as long as the program is still running. When the program terminates, the system will free all the memory the program was using.

Basically this means your hardware isn't leaking, it's the game, haha.

A memory leak happens when a program asks for memory but doesn't notify the system when it's done using it. The system can't free memory without the program's permission (because it's unsafe to do that) and the program forgets about the allocated memory, so the leaked memory will just float off and take up space as long as the program is still running. When the program terminates, the system will free all the memory the program was using.

Basically this means your hardware isn't leaking, it's the game, haha.

Ok yeah, that sounds right and would make sense with what I'm seeing. As my PC doesn't do this with any other games.

Unity runs fine for like 2 hour sessions or so but then will just progressively get worse fps as it goes. A Memory Leak like you describe certainly would make sense.

Murtrod

Newest drivers helped on Nvidia, but my performance is still god awful in crowds. Really want patch 5 because the game is fundamentally fun, it just barely runs...

JaseC

The game runs like a dog's breakfast for me and I have two. I've given up on it until I've moved up to at least one 970.

JaseC

They seem to keep tinkering with it (according to JaseC's database link), but no official word.

*sigh* This is getting ridiculous. I seriously think that it might not come now.

A patch is coming, but, yeah, there's no guarantee that it'll contain tessellation.

SliChillax

I imagine the tessellation would introduce a shit ton of other issues with this game apart from ruining the framerate. They probably dont wanna ruin it so I'm ok with them taking their time. When the game will be fixed properly and have all the planned features like tessellation out, then I'll buy it.

roytheone

Little bit late to the party, but I just started the game and I am actually quite surprised how good the game runs on my pretty old CPU (an i7 870 @ 2,93 ghz). The game never drops below 35 fps on very high settings at 1080p, even in big crowds. Sure my GPU is pretty fantastic ( a 970), but I expected my CPU to be much more of a problem than it actually is. Also, holy shit this game can look absolutely stunning at times, very impressed by the visuals (a little less impressed with the gameplay unfortunately). After Far cry 4 ran like dogshit on my PC, this is a very nice surprise!

d00d3n

Little bit late to the party, but I just started the game and I am actually quite surprised how good the game runs on my pretty old CPU (an i7 870 @ 2,93 ghz). The game never drops below 35 fps on very high settings at 1080p, even in big crowds. Sure my GPU is pretty fantastic ( a 970), but I expected my CPU to be much more of a problem than it actually is. Also, holy shit this game can look absolutely stunning at times, very impressed by the visuals (a little less impressed with the gameplay unfortunately). After Far cry 4 ran like dogshit on my PC, this is a very nice surprise!

Have you arrived in Paris yet?

After I installed GeForce 347.25 drivers I haven't seen a single drop below 60fps on 1080p using a GTX 970. I have environment on very high, shadows on high and FXAA enabled. Everything else on max.
Game runs like a dream now. Bugs still need fixing though...

Kezen

Banned
After I installed GeForce 347.25 drivers I haven't seen a single drop below 60fps on 1080p using a GTX 970. I have environment on very high, shadows on high and FXAA enabled. Everything else on max.
Game runs like a dream now. Bugs still need fixing though...

It still drops below 60 on occasion but the game runs very well with the latest drivers. In my case it always ran well enough but it's true that it dips less often now.

yeah perf on my 980 is always reasonable(not amazing) relative to visual quality. i have extremely low expectations of the tessellation patch. they are clearly having serious problems with it. i expect either drastic perf impact, little visual improvement or a combo of both.

Yep, I expect the tessellation patch (if it's ever going to come out) is going to be like a sledgehammer to the face. Crippling performance for everyone. I sincerely hope not though.
If it comes out and if it has a massive overall visual improvement it's going to be amazing for screenshots (which is the only reason I'm waiting for it). If having tessellation enabled will constantly drop me below 60 fps during gameplay, it's going to stay disabled.
I wish the tessellation patch will not introduce new performance problems even when tessellation is disabled... And same goes for patch 5 if they are released separately.

well heavy tessellation should bring heavy visual improvements. but thats never the case, its always just a bunch of shit tessellated with little to no visual improvement.

well heavy tessellation should bring heavy visual improvements. but thats never the case, its always just a bunch of shit tessellated with little to no visual improvement.

Yep. I still have Dead Kings to go through but after that I hardly see myself ever coming back. Tessellated or otherwise.

Top Bottom