• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austria bans the burqa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabbis

I don't agree with allowing religious dogma to effect society. On the other hand im not sure if this ban is done for the right reasons but simply being it's own ideological backlash.

If a women voluntarily of her free will wants to wear a burqa it shouldn't be a man's opinion to tell her "no". In the meantime we can try to improve this situation through education but we always must tread lightly on topics like this.
Indeed. I agree with this. It's definitely a very delicate subject. Many Muslim men may use it to oppress women, but there are other women who voluntarily choose to wear it as a symbol of their faith and those women shouldn't be denied that right if that is indeed their choice and how they want to celebrate their religion. People might mean well in trying to get rid of something that can be used to be a symbol of oppression, but getting rid of women's choice isn't the answer. It's a very delicate subject, but that just doesn't seem to be the best approach at all--it disrespects those women who do freely choose it and doesn't actually benefit or improve the lives of those forced to wear it in any way. That being the case, no matter how good the intent may be of those in favor of such bans, it's a skin-level solution at best that doesn't truly fix anything and thus not an approach I can truly be in favor of.

Seems this is going to be the default in Europe and other countries, and I have no problems with that. Even Islamic countries like Morocco and Egypt, and other African countries are pushing back against the burqa and niqab.
Hear, Hear

Saudi Arabia can continue with that supposedly "optional" wear if they feel like it.

Pusherman

Everyone that's ever actually listened to the women wearing burqas and niqabs will know that most wear it voluntarily and oppose bans like these. If concern for the women themselves is a driving factor a ban is the last thing you should do.

I'm fine with this due to security purpose but if they start banning scarfs and hijabs then I have an issue. Seeing someone's face is something that should be standard.

i-Lo

I've never had any issues with hijab because the face is clearly visible. Burqa other hand presents quite a bit of security concern. As an individual, my mind goes to dark places when I see one person garbed in one in a public space among others who aren't. And no, it's not just "must be a terrorist" BS.

fanboi

Banned
I am for a ban that covers your identity in public spaces. I am against a specific ban on a specific clothing.

Croyles

I am absolutely not a fan of the burka, but the idea that Austria even has need of this law is hilarious. France makes sense.

Sakujou

Banned
To be fair, i'm much more mad about the fact that - along with this - they are also planning to ban women in certain jobs (teachers, as a prime example) from wearing a hijab / headscarf.

There's certain arguments to be made about the burqa.
The issue will be that women who were previously wearing a burqa in public, will go on to live as shut ins, not going outside anymore. It's not like they'll throw their burqa into the trash yelling "Finally, i'm free!".
Someone is still making them wear the burqa, be it their husband / family or their belief.

I disagree with any kind of clothing ban - out of principle - when it's targeting a religion and i feel these measures are counterproductive to integration, especially the (edit: proposed, incoming) hijab ban for teachers.

we just inaugurated a green party president over a right-winger. So let's just wait and see how you do on May 7th ;)

the question is, would they ever hire a woman in these jobs?
even without burqas?

you know, if you have a non-german name on your application, the rate of getting an interview drops around 20%. and this is only for an interview. guess how high the chance is to get hired at all.

iam against all visible presentation of religion in public space, but just banning a piece of cloth is not solving the problem.

try start educate the people (not just some conservative muslims, but the rest of the population) as well as how about hire the people who are suitable and not the people who are "the same as me"?

By all means we should help to ensure women don't have to wear it in the future but let's be sympathetic towards those that do wear it, otherwise you end up with assholes that try to guilt trip them into taking it off.

Jumeira

Banned
I have no problem with this, its an overzealous display of submission and betrays the idea of modesty. Moderates think they're being ridiculous.

Maledict

Fucking stupid. I didn't know France banned it either, which is probably even stupider considering France is better than Austria.

People need to understand how France works really before commenting. France has an extremely strong separation of church and state, which it arrived after hundreds of years of internal conflict between different branches of Christianity. The overt religious elements of USA politics are completely unthinkable over there - even things like swearing on a bible as a juror do t happen. France has an extremely strong set of laws and customs around religious elements in public society, which makes it not as simple as calling it racist.

For quick reading : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laïcité

Basically, France takes separation of church and state literally and very strongly.

Fliesen

I don't deny it's complex, but I would test anyone on the notion that even 50% of these women choose to wear a burqa of "free will". It'll either be husbands/family forcing them, or oppression based within scripture. The burqa itself has also been used, or I should say forced violently on women by terrorist organisations. So on the one hand we read an article like this and celebrate for the women, but on the next hand we say "who are we to judge the burqa?" ~ http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...eing-freed-from-isis-manbij-sdf-a7173671.html.

the issue is different here, though. Banning the burqa in Austria doesn't explicitly mean permission to leave the house without a veil. It might result in an effective house arrest for women formerly wearing burqas.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The weird implication is how you turn this into reality.

Police has to basically arrest a woman wearing it now. And then what? A penalty? Which one? Force her to take it off in public?

Ratrat

Question: How do these women even function as independant adults in society? They go outside and work like that? Attend social events? Also, while many may be doing at as a choice due to religion, how much resistence would they face by their family if they opted for western clothing?

the issue is different here, though. Banning the burqa in Austria doesn't explicitly mean permission to leave the house without a veil. It might result in an effective house arrest for women formerly wearing burqas.
Which would be abuse and there are organisations helping with that. We shouldn't allow one form of oppression because that is better then another form. Fight both.

The weird implication is how you turn this into reality.

Police has to basically arrest a woman wearing it now. And then what? A penalty? Which one?
Probably a fine.

Skyzard

Banned
People need to understand how France works really before commenting. France has an extremely strong separation of church and state, which it arrived after hundreds of years of internal conflict between different branches of Christianity. The overt religious elements of USA politics are completely unthinkable over there - even things like swearing on a bible as a juror do t happen. France has an extremely strong set of laws and customs around religious elements in public society, which makes it not as simple as calling it racist.

For quick reading : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laïcité

Basically, France takes separation of church and state literally and very strongly.

Tbf it was allowed until suddenly when anti-muslim fever is high, out comes a ban.

Also, while many may be doing at as a choice due to religion, how much resistence would they face by their family if they opted for western clothing?

Nobody can say for sure but banning it isn't going to suddenly let the oppressive members of such a family allow their wives/daughters to go out. They'll just be more controlling and force them to stay inside. Those women are the ones being punished by such bans, while people pretend they're doing the bans for them.

Zaru

There is no "free will" when you've been forced to wear it since birth.

Whenever someone brings up "but what if they do it voluntarily", I remember that there are advocacy groups for female genital mutilation, consisting of women.
It's hard to decide where the line between free will and forced internalization is crossed. The question is on which side you prefer to err on.

Coxy100

Banned
fyi this is a burqa

I'm fine with banning this

A really complex issue this - but I have to say I think I agree.

At the end of the day it's up to Austria and what they wish to do with their values etc.

But yeah I think I agree on principle

Vitten

Fucking stupid. I didn't know France banned it either, which is probably even stupider considering France is better than Austria.

Nothing stupid about banning something as degrading to women as the fucking burqa. Why don't you go out and wear one if you're so attached to it ?

Pusherman

Glad to see the same unsubstantiated myths about western burqa and other face-veil wearers get propagated in this thread. There is no proof that these articles of clothing are worn by women forced to do so, from a young age or as adults, by family/community/partner. Watch any interview with one of these women and you'll find out that for many wearing it is a deliberate choice.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
No need to arrest anyone you can just give them a fine.
Only if they are ready to take it off, I would imagine.

I really think you put law enformcement in a weird situation here. It's just that there are so few cases that it will barely happen anyway.

nynt9

Glad to see the same unsubstantiated myths about western burqa and other face-veil wearers get propagated in this thread. There is no proof that these articles of clothing are worn by women forced to do so, from a young age or as adults, by family/community/partner. Watch any interview with one of these women and you'll find out that for many wearing it is a deliberate choice.

When you're told from childhood that you'll go to hell, and grow up in a patriarchal community that treats you like property, sure, you'd want to wear it. Using people of minority groups speaking up for things that are against their best interest as a shield does not make things more morally correct.

I appreciate that this is a complex issue so let's not do the "this black person said you should be more respectful to cops so police brutality doesn't actually exist" type of reductionist arguments.

T.O.P

Banned
Yeah "let me go and tell how much I fuckin hate wearing this on live tv, there will be absolutely no consequences to my well-being at home!"

A disgrace to women. I would however, be interested to know how much effort was first put into trying to re-educate and integrate. As a liberal thinker, I often think discussion and education are best to try first, before things such as bans.
These bans rarely (never?) come with that though. They're not actually trying to solve issues of integration but sate the tears of the sensitive right-wing who don't like to see people that look distinctly different. Shit, that's what the 'average Joe' means by integration, not having to see foreigners who look or act differently.

Yeah then some lunatic will hide under it and blow somewhere?

Fuck no
Yeah, you're totally right! That's why ever single terrorist attack perpetrated in the West has been by a Muslim hiding in a Burqa!

Oh... Shit, wait, isn't that actually none of them?

Pusherman

When you're told from childhood that you'll go to hell, and grow up in a patriarchal community that treats you like property, sure, you'd want to wear it. Using people of minority groups speaking up for things that are against their best interest as a shield does not make things more morally correct.

What about converts that start wearing a face-veil?

Replicant

Anything that covers up your face in public makes me uncomfortable. The most people should get away with is head scarf like how most nuns tend to dress. But your face should be visible for ease of identification at any time.

Ratrat

Nobody can say for sure but banning it isn't going to suddenly let the oppressive members of such a family allow their wives/daughters to go out. They'll just be more controlling and force them to stay inside. Those women are the ones being punished by such bans, while people pretend they're doing the bans for them.
Well, then the whole 'by choice' argument is bullshit as its essentially coercion.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah and if you watch the liberation of ISIS strongholds, you will see women gladly throw it away.

Skyzard

Banned
Can people please please stop with the bullshit false dichotomy of 'oh you don't support this liberal policy, you must be a trump supporter!". Its frankly ridiculous and invidious and shows that your worldview is so narrow that any dissenting opinion must be from the Antichrist.

On the Burqa, eh, I think it's a losing battle. As long as all other full body clothing is banned for consistency I don't mind.

Like mascot/halloween costumes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom