• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avowed New Trailer Released | Xbox Showcase 2024 (releases November 12, 2024)

Pejo

The game looks like a really expensive demo put together with store bought assets from Unreal Engine.

If you asked me "what does it mean when a game has soul?" I'd point at this and go "the opposite of Avowed." There is just no identity at all with the game, just as generic of fantasy as you can get. I bet there will be pressure plate puzzles and "match the sigils to open the door" and all the other same boring shit we've been doing for 20 years.

Shame too, I think the gameplay concepts were probably interesting, but it's hard to describe why this doesn't look fun at all. Like it's a kids Saturday cartoon PG version of Bioshock or something. Also everything feels chunky and too big on the screen. Like the FoV is just really small or they're choosing to fight everything SUPER CLOSE to the camera.

Also that promo/presumed box art looks way better than the game deserves:
iu

foamdino

I'm not liking the visuals that much here, but in the deep dive there is at least confirmation of skills/stats and equipment. Which means that you can have builds and theory-craft how to break the game.

I'll add it to my steam wishlist now I know it's not some ultra-shallow effort and it has some form of RPG depth.

Not sure why none of the systems could be shown before now - that suggests to me that it's coming together rather late in the day (despite the whole "we're in the polishing phase now" thing)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm not liking the visuals that much here, but in the deep dive there is at least confirmation of skills/stats and equipment. Which means that you can have builds and theory-craft how to break the game.

I'll add it to my steam wishlist now I know it's not some ultra-shallow effort and it has some form of RPG depth.

Not sure why none of the systems could be shown before now - that suggests to me that it's coming together rather late in the day (despite the whole "we're in the polishing phase now" thing)

Pretty much all of that was covered in the January video as well, plus we've known since its announcement that it's going to be a proper RPG.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
The game looks like a really expensive demo put together with store bought assets from Unreal Engine.

If you asked me "what does it mean when a game has soul?" I'd point at this and go "the opposite of Avowed." There is just no identity at all with the game, just as generic of fantasy as you can get. I bet there will be pressure plate puzzles and "match the sigils to open the door" and all the other same boring shit we've been doing for 20 years.

Shame too, I think the gameplay concepts were probably interesting, but it's hard to describe why this doesn't look fun at all. Like it's a kids Saturday cartoon PG version of Bioshock or something. Also everything feels chunky and too big on the screen. Like the FoV is just really small or they're choosing to fight everything SUPER CLOSE to the camera.

Also that promo/presumed box art looks way better than the game deserves:
iu
I really don't get how someone calls this generic when it's one of the only examples of a fantasy setting not based on Tolkien.

Filben

I still don't know much about the gameplay. Is this a combat game? Looks like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

Fredrik

Gameplay Deep Dive

Cool that there is a 3rd person perspective. But I think Obsidian is in deep water here, doesn’t look like a 2024 game to me, looks like it needs at least another year of development. The fighting, traversal, conversations, effects, everything looks kinda old, except the environments, those look nice.

Top Bottom