• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Azure Striker Gunvolt is releasing on Steam on August 28th

Yeeep, I honestly don't get why they do this, even if it's not a dealbreaker to me, it's just... why.
Honestly? Because it saves a lot of time to program it with fixed logic time step and graphical data also being limited by that time step. This way, you only care about showing things where they are. The alternatives involve either movement prediction or additional lag, and while neither of these are particularly hard to code, why do that when you get alright results without doing it?

epmode

Honestly? Because it saves a lot of time to program it with fixed logic time step and graphical data also being limited by that time step. This way, you only care about showing things where they are. The alternatives involve either movement prediction or additional lag, and while neither of these are particularly hard to code, why do that when you get alright results without doing it?

Hard-coding a game's logic to its framerate is incredibly short-sighted when it comes to future ports. Even beyond aesthetics, they'll actually lose sales as a result.

From what I've gathered from actual game programmers on GAF, coding for variable time step is no more difficult so long as the decision is made at the start of the project. Why would anyone want to permanently cripple their game?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The translation is out of this world. Let's change names of half the characters and half the concepts because why not, and then stuff Internet jokes, ALL the Internet jokes, right in.

haha11-1.gif~c200

Am I missing something.

RedSwirl

Goddammit, Japan. It's always Japan.

(Unless it's Hyper Light Drifter)

Probably because Japanese developers have usually never had to deal with the variable and unlocked framerates that are natural to PC gaming.

The opposite is probably why western developers recently tend to push cutting-edge graphics over a stable framerate when they make console games.

RedSwirl

So what's all this I'm hearing about the voices and translation and VN segments or something? Is that some kind of content from the Japanese version that wasn't in the English 3DS version or something? I bought the 3DS version last year but never actually got around to starting it.

Hard-coding a game's logic to its framerate is incredibly short-sighted when it comes to future ports. Even beyond aesthetics, they'll actually lose sales as a result.

From what I've gathered from actual game programmers on GAF, coding for variable time step is no more difficult so long as the decision is made at the start of the project. Why would anyone want to permanently cripple their game?

It makes sense if you're developing a game specifically for one console in the here and now, which is what Japanese developers tend to do.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
So what's all this I'm hearing about the voices and translation and VN segments or something? Is that some kind of content from the Japanese version that wasn't in the English 3DS version or something? I bought the 3DS version last year but never actually got around to starting it.

From what I gather (I never owned the 3DS version), all the mid-stage dialogue was cut (because it was voiced?) and several segments where you can talk to Joule in between missions were as well. Looks like it's been reinstated in Japanese and Japanese Voice Mode English language choices at least?

drotahorror

So this port is just broken af? I'm reading steam reviews, sometimes they over react but this seems bad. I actually wanted this too.

Crocodile

So this port is just broken af? I'm reading steam reviews, sometimes they over react but this seems bad. I actually wanted this too.

Looking at Inticreates twitter, it seems they've released some patches that should address a lot of the graphics cards issues. So hopefully everybody that was having problems in here should be ok now?

On a side note, does anyone have a detailed description of what the Speed Run mode is like and what explicit features it has? I've seen the blurb that went along with the game but I get the feeling its leaving a lot of things out.

* A bug that we believe was causing framerate issues for some users has been fixed.
** If you are still experiencing framerate issues after this update, go to
Screen Settings on the Start Menu, try switching the Vsync setting to
"OFF", then start the game.

* A bug that disabled the subscreen from being displayed when the game was in fullscreen mode has been fixed.
* A bug that was causing Save States to get erased when a Special Skill was used during Speedrun Mode has been fixed.
* Some type errors have been fixed

* Fullscreen mode will now be the default display setting
* The keyboard controls have been updated (with full key binding customization option coming in a future update)
* You are now able to use a gamepad's right stick to activate Special Skills

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/games/388800/announcements/detail/61150991248916251

So they seem to be working on fixing this mess of a port, at the end of the day it will probably stay 30fps but at least they are fixing the rest.

Zabi

Banned
The translation is out of this world. Let's change names of half the characters and half the concepts because why not, and then stuff Internet jokes, ALL the Internet jokes, right in.

haha11-1.gif~c200

Am I missing something.

Which translation? There are two now.

I really enjoyed this game on 3DS, idiotic story and characters and all. Fantastic boss fights that really capture that Mega Man Zero feel.

PsionBolt

Wow, how did I miss this? I only just found out thanks to a banner for the upcoming races on SpeedRunsLive. I was so thoroughly confused until I clicked -- "wait, SRL is having a race of a 3DS game? But so few people can stream 3DS!"

...And now after finding the thread here, I learn that apparently it's a shoddy port, with a shoddy new translation? Ugh. Hopefully they work out the issues with the PC version and deliver on their promise for JP audio in the 3DS version. Gunvolt deserves to make a better impression on the PC world.

Korigama

Wow, how did I miss this? I only just found out thanks to a banner for the upcoming races on SpeedRunsLive. I was so thoroughly confused until I clicked -- "wait, SRL is having a race of a 3DS game? But so few people can stream 3DS!"

...And now after finding the thread here, I learn that apparently it's a shoddy port, with a shoddy new translation? Ugh. Hopefully they work out the issues with the PC version and deliver on their promise for JP audio in the 3DS version. Gunvolt deserves to make a better impression on the PC world.
Based on that earlier post's mention of internet jokes, it sounds like they're referring to the original translation (character and concept name changes were already a thing in that one as well).

Skulldead

Never crash once here or no graphic glitch , windows 7, probably depend of a lot of thing...

The second screen thing is a really lazy way to port this game on PC.... Is insane small when i get to select stage and etc....

haha11-1.gif~c200

Am I missing something.

No, you aren't. Sadly for same reason the localization team was left to their own devices when it came to the translation and the results definitely speak for themselves. It's not the worst localization ever but it is a very bad one.

Uneccesary character, place, ability, and moves had their names changed, all the middle-mission dialogue was cut from the Western version because the localizers believed it didn't contribute to the game (it does, as the two characters grow closer to each other) and was also voiced which apparently caused issues due to spacing limitations.

I am told the later of these issues is fixed in the Steam re-release but I am not sure about the awful name, location, changes etc.

Korigama

To be fair, I don't consider all of the name changes to be bad ones, such as Cyan to Joule, Morpho to Lumen, Acura to Copen (I would've only thought of the car with the old one), FEATHER to QUILL, and adding a distinction between the name of the power and those who use it (Seventh for both to Septima and Adepts). Others, however, like Daytona to Viper, Gino to Zeno, and Monica to Moniqa, I have no idea why they did. Indifferent on Panthera to Zonda, Iota to Jota, and Shiden to Nova.

I don't hate the original localization, but given the level of quality of 8-4's past work (i.e., Nier, Monster Hunter 3U and 4U, Metal Gear Rising), I was still disappointed that so much content was removed while the logic behind changes wasn't always clear.

Saikyo

Finished the game with the true end
Asimov patternts are stupid, how do I dodge the attack where he shoots energy spheres that some go up and some just keep going?
only finished this boss with some luck and lots of "heals".

But yeah there are some graphical glitches like the
Elise stage where you need to turn some lighs, half the screen is visible everytime and the other isnt
dont know if its only on Radeon cards or it happened with everyone.

Still I hope Gunvolt 2 launches on Steam too.

Articalys

So what was the conclusion on how much of the cut content from the NA 3DS version got restored for the Steam version? Just the mid-mission dialogue, or all the stuff between stages as well?

So, which version is better to get? I played the demo on 3DS and it seemed fun but it's more expensive there and is missing stuff from the steam release. I saw bad reviews for the steam release though...

EricB

So, which version is better to get? I played the demo on 3DS and it seemed fun but it's more expensive there and is missing stuff from the steam release. I saw bad reviews for the steam release though...

Steam release is fine. It is just really no better than the 3DS version, and PC people seem to always have an issue with that type of thing. I bought the 3DS version day one but only played through it once I bought the Steam release.

Luigi87

People were pissed at how they didn't reconcile the second screen in the Steam release, but I don't have an issue with that.

Anyway, buy the Steam version. It is updated, no cut story content, and has additional modes (Easy, Hard, and Speedrun modes). The 3DS version has unfortunately not been updated yet AFAIK.

People were pissed at how they didn't reconcile the second screen in the Steam release, but I don't have an issue with that.

Anyway, buy the Steam version. It is updated, no cut story content, and has additional modes (Easy, Hard, and Speedrun modes). The 3DS version has unfortunately not been updated yet AFAIK.

Steam release is fine. It is just really no better than the 3DS version, and PC people seem to always have an issue with that type of thing. I bought the 3DS version day one but only played through it once I bought the Steam release.

Thanks guys! How much of the story was cut? It's a game I'd honestly rather play on a handheld so if it's not much different I may just go for that instead but I keep flip flopping :/

I would go for the 3DS version. Game's pretty good.

I was watching someone play this game on PC, and there was some irritating story text stuff going on during gameplay. I'd rather not have that anyway.

Saikyo

I would go for the 3DS version. Game's pretty good.

I was watching someone play this game on PC, and there was some irritating story text stuff going on during gameplay. I'd rather not have that anyway.

You can deactivate that and have like the 3DS version with less dialogue.

You can deactivate that and have like the 3DS version with less dialogue.

Oh, that's good. It was pretty distracting to watch. I don't know if I really like the scoring system...To get an S ranking you have to basically not get hit at all in the stage.

Phil Fish

Banned
Holy shit... I really fucking like this game but it's absolutely ridiculous how it refuses to open if you're launching either without internet or in offline mode. This is the worst kind of DRM and I regret paying full price for it.

Holy shit... I really fucking like this game but it's absolutely ridiculous how it refuses to open if you're launching either without internet or in offline mode. This is the worst kind of DRM and I regret paying full price for it.

What the heck? Does this game even have online functionality outside of limited leaderboards? This is bullshit.

Thanks guys! How much of the story was cut? It's a game I'd honestly rather play on a handheld so if it's not much different I may just go for that instead but I keep flip flopping :/

Too late, but I think recently the 3DS game was updated to have all the content. Key word is "I think". Never played the game but I read the update description.

Tizoc

My net is always on so i had no idea about it requiring to be online yo play
However i gotta say this is a decent port but the 2 window utide the main stages is pretty weird

Phil Fish

Banned
What the heck? Does this game even have online functionality outside of limited leaderboards? This is bullshit.

Literally nothing other than Leaderboards, unless I'm missing something, but I doubt it.

My net is always on so i had no idea about it requiring to be online yo play
However i gotta say this is a decent port but the 2 window utide the main stages is pretty weird

Well at least it works fine. It would have sucked if the dual window stuff stayed during stages but thankfully it does not. I've been playing Hard Mode and its just been incredibly fun. Everything about it. It kind of sucks that skills can't be used (because they're fun to use) but even then, I can't bring myself to go back to normal mode because of how fun Hard is.

If ASG2 comes to steam, I hope it doesn't bring over the same DRM BS.

Top Bottom