• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ban-Age: Unwritten rules of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
EviLore said:
I tried doing a google image search for "diamond encrusted throne of whores" but it didn't turn up anything. You'll have to settle for the mental image.
:lol :lol

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Piracy is typically committed by people who wouldn't be legitimately buying the product anyway. For the majority of pirated copies of music or games or anything else, there is no effective loss of revenue by the copyright holder. This varies of course depending on the market and the product in question. Some companies have very likely been hit hard by piracy, like some single player game devs on PC in times past.

Adblocking a site has a direct impact on that site's revenue for each person adblocking (unless their ads aren't CPM-based). The alternative to piracy is not necessarily buying the product, since there is a cost of entry; the alternative to adblocking is not adblocking, which would only prevent the absolute most anal people on the internet from visiting a site with unobtrusive ads.

That's what I mean by "worse." Hypothetical revenue vs guaranteed revenue. Time to shuttle me off to the insane asylum!

And of COURSE adblocking isn't a crime. And the above is not ethical justification for piracy by any stretch. Chill out.

devilhawk

fistfulofnotgonnaposthereanymore

I have a buddy who works for the online division of a newspaper. He hates ab+ and noscript. He hates forced pop up ads even more though. So he personally uses ad blockers because of how prevalent the crappy ads are. I think if sites got rid of the "in your face ads," people wouldn't resort to circumventing ads at all.

EviLore said:
Piracy is typically committed by people who wouldn't be legitimately buying the product anyway. For the majority of pirated copies of music or games or anything else, there is no effective loss of revenue by the copyright holder. This varies of course depending on the market and the product in question. Some companies have very likely been hit hard by piracy, like some single player game devs on PC in times past.

Adblocking a site has a direct impact on that site's revenue for each person adblocking (unless their ads aren't CPM-based). The alternative to piracy is not necessarily buying the product, since there is a cost of entry; the alternative to adblocking is not adblocking, which would only prevent the absolute most anal people on the internet from visiting a site with unobtrusive ads.

That's what I mean by "worse." Hypothetical revenue vs guaranteed revenue. Time to shuttle me off to the insane asylum!

And of COURSE adblocking isn't a crime. And the above is not ethical justification for piracy by any stretch. Chill out.

Makes sense. Bars to ignore at the top and bottom of the screen are a small price to pay for GAF.

Cyan

Banned
EviLore said:
Adblocking a site has a direct impact on that site's revenue for each person adblocking (unless their ads aren't CPM-based).
Is the same true of turning off images in your browser? I sometimes browse from work with images shut off, since NSFW stuff isn't always labeled.

sestrugen

Magnus_Bulla said:
Makes sense. Bars to ignore at the top and bottom of the screen are a small price to pay for GAF.

Is it really that bad though? Compared to other sites this ones are really benign and quite funny to top it off

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Also, an adblocking person uses server resources every time they visit a site, without (by viewing ads) helping to recoup the costs of having a powerful enough infrastructure to handle them and everyone else visiting. Bigger the site, more money it costs to run it, but if that site has more and more adblockers they could get into serious trouble as they expand.

Cyan

Banned
J.M.Reyes said:
Is it really that bad though? Compared to other sites this ones are really benign and quite funny to top it off
dvmro0.jpg

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
EviLore said:
Also, an adblocking person uses server resources every time they visit a site, without (by viewing ads) helping to recoup the costs of having a powerful enough infrastructure to handle them and everyone else visiting. Bigger the site, more money it costs to run it, but if that site has more and more adblockers they could get into serious trouble as they expand.
So what you're saying is that the 500 errors are because of the adblockers? Let's get them!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Seriously, they're just images anyway. People who take such an indignant stand over something we've already tried to make innocuous for our own sake as well as everyone else's are beyond obnoxious.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Cyan said:
Is the same true of turning off images in your browser? I sometimes browse from work with images shut off, since NSFW stuff isn't always labeled.

Yeah, but that's cool. Not getting into trouble at work is important, and we can only do so much to ensure a worksafe environment. Do what you need to do.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Hitokage said:
something we've already tried to make innocuous for our own sake as well as everyone else's

Yeah, it's not like these are pop-ups that create more pop-ups that give you dialogue boxes. ...Gaf is quite unlike a few other boards I've been to in that regard.

And, they don't make noise!

J.M.Reyes said:
No, it's not that bad at all, that's what I was getting at. Probably just didn't articulate my point well enough.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Hitokage said:
Seriously, they're just images anyway. People who take such an indignant stand over something we've already tried to make innocuous for our own sake as well as everyone else's are beyond obnoxious.
I don't mind ads, but I'm worried by the fact that so many of the sites and services I enjoy on the internet are propped up entirely by ad revenue. If that revenue goes away will they go away as well?

Thnikkaman said:
Yeah, it's not like these are pop-ups that create more pop-ups that give you dialogue boxes. ...Gaf is quite unlike a few other boards I've been to in that regard.

And, they don't make noise!

And thank you for that. Nothing is more annoying then listening to a song on Youtube or something and then some ad for cooking utensils comes blaring on your speakers 50 decibels louder.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
SapientWolf said:
If that revenue goes away will they go away as well?

Yep!

Ad revenue, subscriptions, donations. Take your pick, but the viability of each model will vary from site to site. Donations work for Wikipedia, but wouldn't work for Google. Subscriptions work for SA Forums but wouldn't work for most non-huge forums. etc.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The Google ads have hilarious results on threads pretty often.

Fox the Sly

The funny thing is, I didn't realize GAF had ads until recently when I used Chrome. They're not obnoxious so I turned AdBlock off. :lol

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that was kinda spooky, I changed my reply just to be safe.

Cyan

Banned
Hitokage said:
Don't start this discussion, it's against ad network TOS.
And it doesn't work in any case.

That said, if you are interested in the product, definitely click the ad.

EviLore said:

Are you suggesting piracy has little to no effect on the revenue of entertainment mediums? Also I'd be interested in seeing any research/info you have concerning the bold text; not calling you out, simply curious

The Ads do what they're supposed to for me, occasionally I'll see something interesting and click on it. Sometimes if its just for lolz, I figure, what the hell can it hurt?

DMeisterJ

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:
Being banned because you don't want to see ads is one of the silliest things I can imagine. It's also extremely petty. I'm not here to make this forum money. If they want that then they should start charging us. It's not my problem or responsibility to keep this forum afloat financially.

WHY!?!?

:(

Hope he comes back eventually. I'll miss his posts...

Oh, and onto the topic at hand: Don't 'whine in a GoW3 thread'... I'm not sure how I was doing so, but whatevs. It was a month long ban, so I had to go back to lurking for a good while, but I guess I should be lucky that it wasn't permanent, since I was such a young member (I don't think I was still Junior, but still).

So, I will make it a point to never whine in a GoW 3 thread. Now any other thread is fair game :D

numble

PhoenixDark said:
Are you suggesting piracy has little to no effect on the revenue of entertainment mediums? Also I'd be interested in seeing any research/info you have concerning the bold text; not calling you out, simply curious
At the very least the basic argument (without saying what the majority of pirates do or don't) makes sense. Piracy takes away potential income, adblocking takes away guaranteed income.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Wow, /pours one out for fistful. I guess I was lucky that I only made a dumbfuck joke about adblocking and wasn't a complete asshole about it so I only got a one month ban. Although Evilore did call me a kumquat, that will never really heal.

(I have adblock disabled on gaf btw)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
PhoenixDark said:
Are you suggesting piracy has little to no effect on the revenue of entertainment mediums?

No, just that there isn't a 1:1 relationship between number of copies pirated and effective revenue lost. Proven by the easy anecdote that I pirated lots of stuff when I was a kid with an income of zero. "Typically" is speculation, since we don't really have a good way to prove just how much less than 1:1 it is. So I'll say typically, and the RIAA will go on saying that it's losing 100 trillion dollars a year to each person with a broadband connection.

Trurl

Banned
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
I honestly hope fistful comes back at some point. He was entertaining and good at trolling.
Just get 25 Fistful fans to contribute $2.

It is true that the ads are innocuous. I usually don't notice them and the only annoyingly placed ad doesn't show up if you're logged in. I'm surprised Hito hasn't pushed for a fundraiser model to make this place more like NPR. ;-)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Trurl said:
I'm surprised Hito hasn't pushed for a fundraiser model to make this place more like NPR. ;-)

He did. I'm not a fan of transparency and accountability ;b

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
PhoenixDark said:

Obviously this is pretty off-topic for this thread but while his point may be speculative, I agree wholeheartedly with the logic behind it. I don't think there is market research available that shows how much effect on revenue piracy doesn't have, so we might be out of luck there.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
EviLore said:
So does this $50 thing work on every perma'd member?
I don't want to find out on me.
Also what is the policy on lamps?

Zozz

Banned
EviLore said:
Should do it though, I want to hear those soft delicate voices asking for donations. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, when I make contributions.

Wow, I always knew he was crazy, but to have so much contempt for the community he's part of, what a dick.

Oh and that's another one for the original post.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Fistful was the one person on my ignore list. That made me day to see that ban happen. The guy was just creepy.

nexes

EviLore said:

But sadly, even in game piracy, this same thing exists. The people out there trying to hack their games to be able to play on official servers, for example. How they justify that kind of crap, I'll never understand.

I can understand the pirates who just have a copy of the game, and for all purposes, don't exist to the company..and if they were never planning to buy the game, really never hurt them. It sucks, they should support the dev, but at least they're not actively sucking resources from them.

For what it's worth, I use AdBlock+ to filter out the garbage, but I specifically whitelist sites that I regularly use (which have unobtrusive ads). GAF, Gmail, digg, etc.

I'd really love to see an adblock list that specifically catered to annoying ads. Last I checked, nothing really existed on that front...which is too bad, since it's really not a black/white issue.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Doubledex said:
He is banned? For that? lame

Eh, he was being a douche. And he posts with that kind of attitude a lot. Really, if you're bothered by the ads here, you might need psychological help. So bragging that you block them when they in no way hinder your time on the internet is just lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom