• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

meanwhile on PS4

Aj6MwPK.gif

What? I want that. :(

This is such a goddamn bummer.

bedlamite

It's a bad port to begin with, I think people are just wasting time trying to find tweaks to optimise performance. I'm going to shelve it and wait for a patch; maybe finish off Origins instead of wasting any more time with Knight right now.

Mattenth

What? I want that. :(

This is such a goddamn bummer.

Then do something about it.

Seriously, we are talking about a company that just knowingly and deliberately mislead customers towards buying a broken, downgraded product.

I know the gaming industry has had a lot of controversy this last year, but I can't remember the last time a big-name publisher/developer did something so dishonest and unethical. This wasn't a fucking "accident" or "oversight," and if it was something that trivial, I'll be happy to revise my comments (like the wrong version was uploaded to Steam, lol).

Here are some things you can do:
  • Create a negative review on Steam BEFORE you get a refund.
  • Add negative reviews for previous Warner Bros titles. Hit them in the catalog, not just with this title.
  • Get a refund.
  • If you bought from a non-Steam source (such as GMG), ask for a refund anyway. It might feel like you're wasting your time, but GMG isn't ever going to create refunds unless there's demand. And trust me, with enough customer support tickets, GMG will put pressure on Warner Bros.
  • Report Warner Brothers to the Better Business Bureau.
  • If you know anyone in the video game press, ask them to cease all coverage of Arkham Knight until the PC issues are resolved.
  • Don't let threads in gaming communities fail
  • Use social media for public shaming of Warner Brothers. Commit to some reasonable schedule.

Corpekata

Banned
Might just be placebo or coincidence but it seems like capping it back to 30 FPS helped a lot with texture pop-in. Probably because it only uses like half my GPU when capped to 30 at 1440p on my 970? I dunno.

Still a few glaring textures but they didn't stay unpopped nearly as long and there seemed to be a lot fewer overall.

wrongway

Haha, oh boy. Finally sat down to try this hot mess for myself. Can't even get to the menu. It crashes immediately after launch. What an amazing trainwreck.

so now I've experienced:

stutter
soft-appearance
shitty film grain
no textures loading on enemies or signs, walls
no rain texture

yay.

I just can't get over how damn soft the game looks. Not sure if that's the film grain or what. If I had finished the Witcher and actually bought this game instead of getting it for free with my GPU I'd be properly pissed.

jett

D-Member
so now I've experienced:

stutter
soft-appearance
shitty film grain
no textures loading on enemies or signs, walls
no rain texture

yay.

I just can't get over how damn soft the game looks. Not sure if that's the film grain or what. If I had finished the Witcher and actually bought this game instead of getting it for free with my GPU I'd be properly pissed.

It's a mix of FXAA, strong motion blur, depth of field abuse and a healthy coating of chromatic aberration.

It's like the absolute worse case scenario for image quality.

CHC

This game should have launched in 2014 after all, would have been much more fitting for that year's legacy of busted-ass games.

DirtyLarry

If you hit the counter button too fast, or have no active input after a second or so, it will break the combo, yes.
Thanks for the fast reply. It appears that was my downfall, hitting the counter button too fast.
I read the manual and it turns out I did not realize the icon above their head should be blue to counter, I was pressing it even on the white ones, which was causing me to break the combo.
I am off to bed but will get the 50 hit combo tomorrow.

Initial Impressions
I am playing on the PS4 so no technical issues to complain of, and so far my initial impression is the game is bloody brilliant. Really is a ton of fun, and perhaps it is the fact I always gravitated towards tanks in games (in Battlefield 2 I was no doubt a tank whore) so I also have zero complaints about the batmobile/tank sections. In fact I actually enjoy them.

Really very impressed with the game so far. Very much so.

Peterthumpa

So nothing from WB or Rocksteady aside from the flaccid "we're looking into it" from this morning?

Welp.

Nothing. Absolutely ridiculous at this point. No technical statement, no ETA for a solution or fix. Nothing. Honestly, this is going down as one of the biggest clusterfucks in the history of PC gaming.

PS: refund requested.

Salsa

it's also extra disheartening how the game honestly runs totally solid for the first like 2 minutes or so with max settings on a 2gig 680

then it just goes to complete garbage-land

MattyG

Banned
Thanks for the fast reply. It appears that was my downfall, hitting the counter button too fast.
I read the manual and it turns out I did not realize the icon above their head should be blue to counter, I was pressing it even on the white ones, which was causing me to break the combo.
I am off to bed but will get the 50 hit combo tomorrow.

Initial Impressions
I am playing on the PS4 so no technical issues to complain of, and so far my initial impression is the game is bloody brilliant. Really is a ton of fun, and perhaps it is the fact I always gravitated towards tanks in games (in Battlefield 2 I was no doubt a tank whore) so I also have zero complaints about the batmobile/tank sections. In fact I actually enjoy them.

Really very impressed with the game so far. Very much so.
Not to be rude, but you may find better discussion of this type in the OT. This is just a thread of poor performance and miserable PC users.

How in the world are the rain effects missing from the PC version... I thought first few weeks of AO were bad on PC, this seems like it's on another level.

For all the hoopla about gameworks and these are the fruits of all that? Nvidia really doing themselves a favor here.

I don't even know how the PC version made it past QA.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I legit think this game looks like garbage

I don't know if its the film grain, or the absurd amount of needless particle effects and sorta dialed-down colors, or everything

but add the awful amount of aliasing + god awful textures and I seriously think it looks fucking terrible and just worse in every way except character models

like not even from a tech standpoint just from an aesthetic decisions one

Origins was super clean and stylish. This is some sort of shitty sensory overload passed through a shit brown grain filter

YES! This is what I was saying earlier in this thread! The game somehow looks worse than the older titles overall! I think it's mainly the film grain that makes everything look washed out.

spannicus

How in the world are the rain effects missing from the PC version... I thought first few weeks of AO were bad on PC, this seems like it's on another level.

For all the hoopla about gameworks and these are the fruits of all that? Nvidia really doing themselves a favor here.

I don't even know how the PC version made it past QA.

That's what I wondered. Probably WB gave IG a DL and they said FI.

komorebi

Might just be placebo or coincidence but it seems like capping it back to 30 FPS helped a lot with texture pop-in. Probably because it only uses like half my GPU when capped to 30 at 1440p on my 970? I dunno.

Still a few glaring textures but they didn't stay unpopped nearly as long and there seemed to be a lot fewer overall.

I've noticed this as well. I haven't noticed any slow or stuck textures.

It seems like capping at 30fps is the "intended experience" and if people can tolerate it then I recommend they go with it for now. On my 980 I was able to crank all the Game Works features and still have a near solid 30 except for entering and exiting the Batmobile. I'm pretty sure the smoke is what's causing the bad stutters when this happens since the smoke goes nuts when it powerslides up to you, so I just turned it off. I personally think the smoke is very cool but its overdone and looks a bit cartoonish.

jett

D-Member
it's also extra disheartening how the game honestly runs totally solid for the first like 2 minutes or so with max settings on a 2gig 680

then it just goes to complete garbage-land

Seriously, I'd be totally happy with the performance I get in this game in regular circumstances...if it wasn't for the AWFUL stutter-freezing. I actually am at 60fps most of the time, when it doesn't stutter.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Alright, finally fired the game up to see this shitshow for myself.

i5-4590
Asus GTX-970 OC
8GB DDR3
SSD

I unlocked the framerate to 60 and set shadows to normal. Everything else is default. Resolution is 1680x1050 (yeah my monitor is 16:10 so what). Getting 60fps most of the time with occasional drop to 45 while gliding. Batmobile gets down to 30 and is definitely the main performance killer. I'm getting slight stuttering but nothing too bad so far and I haven't run into any texture issues yet. The SSD is probably helping with that. I've only played about an hour.

I thought it would be worse going in, but it's definitely playable. The framerate drops are pretty annoying though. Like others have reported, it's using ALL of my VRAM and the GPU usage doesn't go above 60%. So yeah, this game's streaming and memory management is fucked.

jett

D-Member
You touched the ini to unlock the frames, didnt you?

The ini isn't some magically-sealed beyond-the-grave demonic tome that must no be touched by the unwashed hands of gamers.

Also, changing the maximum framerate does not improve or worsen this particular condition of the game.

Refunds people. Buy it back when (if) it gets patched up. Hit WB where it hurts or they will never change.

I got my game for free, but I think I'm going to wait for this to improve before playing. I'm having graphical issues all over the place, and I'm sure they'll improve performance in the coming weeks.

Corpekata

Banned
Is there a Shadows comparison anywhere? Have it on high currently and I messed around turning it to normal to see if performance helped like suggested and it seemed too. Curious if there's a considerable difference in image quality. Didn't seem like it off hand but might just have been in a poor area.

void666

Banned
That's really weird, mine look fine. Maybe my eyes are tired from looking for a solution all day, lol.

When I was playing 20 minutes ago, I was really happy with everything. I'll check again.

Not for me, but I'm not sure if it actually improved anything. Definitely wasn't a downgrade in texture quality though.

Actually even with it set to 1 i had the same blurry textures. The same building.
I never noticed any blurred low res textures before so i assumed what was because of that setting.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
And what exactly is wrong with it using all of your graphics memory?

Over 3.5GB framebuffer for 1080p...i think the issue is self explanatory.

It indicates that it is incredibly inefficient and has to swap out data all the time. One of the factors contributing to the stuttering issue everyone is having.

spannicus

Wait, have you tried this and it's running fine? Or is this just guesswork?
Matt I uncapped mines and it runs even better than before. I guess it depends on your set up but don't take only his word or mines as fact because it may be different for u. Try and see that's what I did and I'm happy I did.

Top Bottom